The "other" Monster

Just thought some of you might be interested in seeing the other Monster come together. This is one of the few SMT Destroid Monsters that were made. The master of this brilliant kit was none other than our buddy Gundamhead. He did a great job with the sculpt. And SMT did a pretty good job with the casting of this large kit even though it took over a year to get to my doorstep.

Clean up was essentially pretty easy, except for the rear hatches that had a seam line running through them. The mold must have slipped because the resulting shapes were oval. Lots of my cleanup time was spent on the rear hatches. The only criticism I'd give is that the legs are pretty boring. I know the other Monster kits aren't any better, but you'd think you'd have some visible hydraulics in the legs.

What I do like about this kit that I'm a little wary about with Mike's is the length of the arm guns. This kit has some badass long arms. Mike's look a little shorter (and/or fatter) in comparison. Just my opinion although I've never closely examined the lineart. Well... here's my pics.

post-99-1142229942_thumb.jpg

post-99-1142229957_thumb.jpg

post-99-1142229971_thumb.jpg

post-99-1142229978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Holy $#!^!

It's been a long time in coming seeing somebody else build one of those suckers! How's the balance on the holow cast? My pre-SMT ones were completely solid, and once the barrelles and arms went on, they balance perfectly. (A testament to the mecha's design, not hollow or solid cast models.)

Which schemeare you planning? Green, green+yellowgreen, or low vis?

Haven't decided on the paint scheme, but I imagine I'm going to keep it dark green. I anticipate it being heavily weathered.

One question about the instructions, Joe. I noticed the chain gun in the instructions you sent me. I've never seen that on a Monster... is that original to your sculpt? I can't find it on this image:

monster1.jpg

I figured after they settled back on Earth and there were angry Zentraedi about, a Monster might be too big of a gun, so they stuck a chain gun under it's nose for close combat instead of total detruction. Kinda like the smoke dipensers, just a option. I did take some liberties with the details, like the 'history' part. Just for fun.

BTW, a part I did forget, is the antenae. they mount between cannons. I've seen them as blade type and as regular whip types. The blade type are shown sorta Gundamesque, but with one side shorter than the other ala Samurai helmets. Each antena goes inbetwen the left and right upper and lower cannons. (btween 1&2, and 3&4)

1/100 Rocks! (Only 'cause I scratchbuilt one) :lol: I couldn't imagine where I would display a 1/72nd Monster. I don't have a garage at this house. :o

The build up looks good Ostrich! If you can find it, there's a Tamiya Olive drab that seems to be perfect if you wanna just spray outa the can.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccee! :D Is so great to finally see one of these big boys with some clothes on! can't wait to see the weathering. Any plans to lay some rust-all down on this?

It's some preliminary painting plus a coat of future. I've scuffed up the paint job something awful, so there are some parts I gotta repaint. I also need the white stripes down the arms and some more airbrush weathering. Then I'll coat it with Future again and do an oil wash. I'll finish up with some chalk pastels and some dry brushing. Perhaps even a little paint chipping with a silver colored pencil.

Lots to go and I'm still waiting on the decals from our buddy Anasazi.

Painting is done. Added a coat of future and started to do some drybrushing and weathering. Somebody remind me next time that I gotta put on the decals before I apply pastels. I started to on the feet before I remembered. Anasazi did a great job supplying the decals. Now I just gotta figure out where they go!

post-99-1144132708_thumb.jpg

post-99-1144132723_thumb.jpg

LTSO,

I figured I could just snap some pics of decal placement on my 1/160th instead of sending you poor copies from my copying machine at work. Let me know if this helps...

post-1862-1144135897_thumb.jpg

Painting is done. Added a coat of future and started to do some drybrushing and weathering. Somebody remind me next time that I gotta put on the decals before I apply pastels. I started to on the feet before I remembered. Anasazi did a great job supplying the decals. Now I just gotta figure out where they go!

387397[/snapback]

That sure is one beautiful monster!!!

You do drybrushing, pastels etc on gloss surface?

Anyone know why there is no Kite Logo anywhere on the HWR-00 Mk II Monster?

388678[/snapback]

LTSO,

The kites for the other Destroids are as follows,

Defender- front left thigh, rear left arm

Tomahawk- front left thigh, center torso rear

Spartan- front left thigh, rear left waist/hip

Phalynx- front center torso, (I think) rear center torso

The Destroid kites are also red kites with white background. It's my understanding this denotes ground forces, while the VF's white kite with red background is air/naval.

Given the trend from the other Destroids, I stuck a kite (Borrowed from a 1/100 Spartan kit) on the front left thigh, and one on the left back.

Wow...I guess I've never noticed this before, but until you start adding some markings and whatnot, the Monster really is a big block of smooth surfaces and not much surface detail. Nice painting so far, can't wait to see you weather it.

Will try to take some pictures tonight.

Model work:

Added several decals made by Anasazi. I'm still having trouble identifying where alot of them go. Thanks, Thor, for posting that scan, but there are alot that I just can't see in that picture. If anyone has spare directions lying around, I'd like to borrow them. I'd be happy to mail them back with a couple bucks when I'm done.

Base work:

I've stained a wood base from Hobby Lobby and sealed it with a urethane coat. I masked the edges and added some terrain with that foam you use in flower arranging. I mixed up some Durham's Water putty until it was thin and painted it on over the terrain. Before it was try, I added some ballast used for ground cover for model railroads.