Anybody Watch The Boondocks?

Love this show, every episode makes me laugh. The social commentary is nearly spot on, at least here in New Orleans anyway. The MLK episode was my favorite, with the Obama episode comming in 2nd.

Specifically the Obama "Dick Ridin'" music video, lol

Oh man. The Freemans and Bushido Bob vs. The Hateocracy was AWEEEEEESOME.

BTW. The kickball episode reminds me of Samurai Champloo's baseball episode. BOTH were all sorts of awesome.

Edited by UN Spacy

Yea...

Macross Synthesis:

- I love Macross, and my buddies do too

- I love Robotech, and my buddies do too

- I love Gundam...

- I love my Yamatos

- I love my Bandais

Macross Moments:

- FU Robotech, Macross ftw

- FU Macross, I'm mentally ill

- Macross is better than Gundam

- Gundam eats VF-1S for breakfast

- Moe animu is superior to Mecha

Macross Synthesis + Macross Moment = Complete F'ing Disaster :p

Edited by Ghost Train

Macross Scoopda thread, 2:00AM

Macross Addict: OMG YAMATO VF-1J EXTRA BRIGHT STRIPE TV MID-SEASON EDITION V2.0 EDITION 3!!!!1!

Narrator: ding! Watch closely as you are about to experience... a Macross Moment. Webster's Dictionary defines a Macross moment as a moment when impulsiveness overwhelms the mind of an otherwise logical 20/30 year old, causing him to act in an irrational self-destructive financially incompetent manner... i.e. like a Macross fan!

Macross Addict: OH Sh!TT!!! PRE-ORDER UP OMG OMG OMG OMG HLJ, AMIAMI, OVERDRIVE, GO GO GO!

Narrator: Macross moments are unpredictable, but they all end up bad....

Macross Addict's Waifu: John... I'm leaving you, I just can't stand this anymore.

Repo Man (at the door): EH YO! OPEN THE DAMM DOOR! I'm here to repossess some Robotech toys.. damm that was some good 80's cartoon right there.

Narrator: Macross moments is the third leading cause of Otaku bankruptcy, second to the Gundam, and buying a truckload of Gibson and Fender guitars despite the fact that you can't tell a D-flat from a hole in the ground. It's a fact!

Edited by Ghost Train

Tried watching it. Totally racist show. I couldn't believe it.

Is the show racist? No, I don't think it's intent is that. Just an unflinching look at the hypocrisy--and racism--in a lot of folks who often claim to be victims of racism and "the Man" themselves. Aaron McGruder pulls no punches, and I applaud him for that.

MLK episode is still my favorite. I've not gotten to watch any of the new eps lately...

Edited by reddsun1

Is the show racist? No, I don't think it's intent is that. Just an unflinching look at the hypocrisy--and racism--in a lot of folks who often claim to be victims of racism and "the Man" themselves. Aaron McGruder pulls no punches, and I applaud him for that.

MLK episode is still my favorite. I've not gotten to watch any of the new eps lately...

The "look" at racism is just racist against white people. The punchline of the show is, white people have ruined the world for black people, and white people should be forever hated for the crimes of their ancestors.

I love the Boondocks and I take absolutely NO offense to the way they portray white people in it. I laugh at the stereotypes imprinted on the white characters, including Mr. Wuncler. He embodies the typical overzealous and ruthless businessman, whom the lower-income class of society is taught to hate. If anything, the show makes fun of black culture and how self-destructive it is. "You're congratulating me for reading??" Huey's reaction to one of Thugnificent's compliments was priceless.

The "look" at racism is just racist against white people. The punchline of the show is, white people have ruined the world for black people, and white people should be forever hated for the crimes of their ancestors.

Which episode did you watch? That one sounds funny! :)

If anything, the show makes fun of black culture and how self-destructive it is.

I think that's McGruder's goal moreso than anything else. In a lot of ways, the "oppressed" can be just as narrow-minded and bigoted as "the Man."

In the end, I think the show is holding up a mirror for America to look at (obviously, McGruder's focus is on black folks/hip hop culture in particular). We can laugh at it initially; but it ought to make us think (hopefully) after a little reflection. Case in point: "*igga moments" at once both funny because of the absurdity of it, yet embarassingly close to the truth, sometimes...

The harshest truths often come in the form of a joke --Anon

If it's any consolation, they're all stereotypes. Charicatures of people and their hang-ups, carried to extremes. From Huey's militant idealism; to Riley's incurable desire to be "hip-hop/thug"; to Uncle Ruckus' self-hatred; to Ed and Gin Rummy's "identity crisis"...we've all seen and/or met people who are like that--to a degree--in our own regular lives. Hell, I got in-laws/relatives like some of the characters! :p

ed: OMG, I forgot just how funny Mr. Wuncler is! Ed Asner is brilliant in his role.

--"That's right. Every morning I wake up and put one foot on the ground and the other up the a$$ of a 12 year-old Indonesian girl." :D

--"If you don't get that bullsh*t outta my face, bit*h!" :lol::lol::lol:

He's not necessarily racist; he's equally offensive to everyone. He even gets along/relates with Granpa Freeman, becomes his pal. He's just wealthy and old enough to speak his mind, and not give a fu*k! Hell, I used to work for a guy like that--though not as extreme. He was a riot, may he rest in peace... :lol:

Edited by reddsun1

As this show takes jabs at almost everyone and anything, at least we can say it's fair. As for the whole "reverse racism" thing, I'm hard pressed to find a single episode where that is the case. If anything Boondocks spends a disproportionate amount of time lampooning the hip-hop culture.

If this offends people, stick with The Oprah Winfrey show :p . Serious and civilized discussion about stuff.

Keith, its ok of you disagree with me, you are never right about anything so when we disagree, I know I am correct.

Reddsun, maybe its been on off days that I have seen the show. I should probably give it another chance.

This thread was this close ( -[ ]- ) to becoming an online N-a moment lol.... I would catalyze this process with a steel chair, but sadly on the interwebz this is not really possible.

Huh?

Keith, its ok of you disagree with me, you are never right about anything so when we disagree, I know I am correct.

Reddsun, maybe its been on off days that I have seen the show. I should probably give it another chance.

"Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk."