1/60 Yamato Yellowing

amptor

Yep, just as I figured... eventually it would happen and it has. The right wing on my 1/60 Hikaru has yellowed, leaving the rest of the valkyrie white. Looks kinda weird, would be more balanced if the other wing yellows. I'm thinking about some day painting all the plastic parts on the thing.

my gripes about yamato:

1) proven cheap plastic

2) reissues flood the market, driving the value of the ym valkyries down and causing you to wonder why you paid "retail" price in the first place (my open box yellowed hikaru was $90, whereas I bought one months later for $25 shipped on ebay MISB and keep it locked in my dark closet)

3) newer issues cost more than older ones

4) is it really worth all the extra money for a 1/48 that is going to be completely yellow by 2008? MAJOR reason why I don't own any.

5) makes you wonder if a "masterpiece" really is all that bad

bandai: 1, yamato: 0

I'm glad I bought every bandai reissue in duplicate and sometimes triplicate. None of those are yellowing and there's a slightly higher chance that they used a better grade of plastic this time around.

The value will go up eventually. As future generations ignore macross, the toys from the series will be more treasured over time. People will take what they can get. Because HG blocks stuff, it might work to collectors's advantage because the average person has to import to get access to the toys. The reissues like Roy are probably due to high demand aren't they? And the high demand probably allows for them to up the price. But as you; as a collector buy more of the Roy 1/48 (now that they become more available) it will make it easier to sell more of these off in future, making you more happy. (like in 20 years time when they go way up and those that want them can't find them. You will thank yourself for buying the reissues and stocking up cause by then it is time to cash in, where owning more than 1 of the same thing is to your benefit)

I'm just guessing. You can always hope that there are people who missed the boat who didn't know anything about yamato and are just coming in as newbies willing to pay massive amounts of money for something they can no longer find.

I'm thinking of actually getting a masterpiece Ultra magnus. Not normally a TF person but I missed out on prime. I like masterpiece stuff.

I would say get the 1/48 and fast packs mainly for yourself rather than as something that you collect. Although expensive, it is still the ultimate valk imo. Everything dies. It's not like you can take them to the afterlife with you. :D

I'm sure the Bandai reissues are good but when 1/48 came, it was better to make space for a collection of these since they are more detailed. Detail is what makes the masterpiece nice to own because it is closer to the anime.

The only stopping me from liking the MPC toynami is QC. I like the alpha and beta as mecha, but sooo wish these were not "limited edition" toys, but rather like mass produced toys at cheap price that you can buy in a vending machine or something instead. (ie like the banpresto vf1 where you were not afriad if something broke. These feel cheap, but they have good posability, good proportions, ok detail for thier size, and transforming them is easy. You can take them apart if you want with ease so if one part is broken just replace it. You even get multiple heads.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Did you keep the toy in a display case or was it on a shelf somewhere?  Was that particular wing in the sun more often than the rest of the toy?

354339[/snapback]

It was just on a shelf, but the wing was pointed away from the sun. But then who knows maybe I turned it out of sunlight after it yellowed. Maybe I should see if I can find someone with spare parts, new wing please :(

Did you keep the toy in a display case or was it on a shelf somewhere?  Was that particular wing in the sun more often than the rest of the toy?

354339[/snapback]

It was just on a shelf, but the wing was pointed away from the sun. But then who knows maybe I turned it out of sunlight after it yellowed. Maybe I should see if I can find someone with spare parts, new wing please :(

354572[/snapback]

Have you considered the 'whitening toothpaste' trick? It works.

354339[/snapback]

354572[/snapback]

Have you considered the 'whitening toothpaste' trick? It works.

354578[/snapback]

whitening toothpaste??? does it really work??? hhhmmmm better try it when i get home......

bandai 1, yamato 0

he he he he... have you seen how badly a Bandai 1/55 yellows?

In any case, I also have the 1/60's. None of the DYRL ones have yellowed, and I display frequently.

Fate brought you the yellowing. You have No faith in the Hory Forating Head.  :rolleyes:

354617[/snapback]

u mean like this??? :blink:

th_CIMG0112.jpg

th_CIMG0122.jpg

th_CIMG0115.jpg

I need a wing :p well whitining toothpaste? what? I somehow doubt that'll work. But I guess I could try it anyway. The yellowing isn't way too bad but it is noticable and I think there's parts that were yellowed already when I got it (I got it from one of the first shipments of the things that came out) I wonder if anyone sells spare 1/60 parts somewhere. But it's not that big of a deal, it'd be worse if it was a broken wing or such. I don't even rememeber how to transform this, I have the documents how to transform it on my pc somewhere. All I gotta do is keep it out of the sun I guess.

Luckily, none of my 40+ Yamatos have any yellowing so far. They are mostly kept in a display cabinet in my study with minimal exposure to sunlight (curtains in the room are open in daytime, but the cabinet is out of the direct line of the sun).

On the otherhand, all of my old 1984 Bandai DYRL 1/55 toys have some degree of yellowing, ranging from minimal to extremely serious.

Personally, I've got no complaints about the ABS plastic that Yamato use with regard to yellowing.

If you keep any toy made of ABS plastic exposed to sunlight long enough, it will yellow regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Graham