1/55's revisited

kanata67

As a continuance to the history of the 1/55 and its 1/100 brethren. We have a very interesting release in 1/100. Made by Peifu from Taipei.

From what I have seen there are three releases of this. The VF-1J in the box, a VF-1S in almost the same color scheme (rebuilt), and a white VF-1S Hikaru with proper colors.

This is the hobby that keeps on giving.

image.jpeg.cd11588cf6d2178178e8548527839774.jpegimage.jpeg.56408efda9ee138251b01a45f144b951.jpeg

ok hold on....hold on

GRAY HANDS version?

So another set of variants on top of the variants of the KOs?

wow...I would have assumed someone painted that(custom) and skipped over it, good work actually investigating it!

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

ok hold on....hold on

GRAY HANDS version?

So another set of variants on top of the variants of the KOs?

wow...I would have assumed someone painted that(custom) and skipped over it, good work actually investigating it!

Yes sir, molded grey like the head lasers, feet, intakes, leg joints, and gun.

The Joons Max, Milia, Green, and Ángelbirds all have painted dark green hands.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

And nice box find on the 1/100 'Strike' LOL
And 3 variants of that one, just crazy

The variant/ko search is the hunt that always seems to continue giving

I have another to post, but I’ll put it up later today.

So for some variations, they molded all the hands in red, then painted them to match their color of the valk?

Why would they choose red and not a neutral white or gray...so many questions

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

So for some variations, they molded all the hands in red, then painted them to match their color of the valk?

Why would they choose red and not a neutral white or gray...so many questions

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is production running out of whatever prominent color they were using at the time.  Ran out and just filled in missing molds with other colors that were readily available. That or, they just used left over hands.

I’m just not sure.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

• 2 weeks later...

When I was searching for the Takatoku VF-1J in 83/84 I was really happy just getting the VF-1J Hikaru, If I knew there where so many variations, I think I would have given up!

The VF-1A Brownie was the first one that I found the VF-1J the 2nd...

one could simply take on the task of collecting every gray vf-1j variant in 1/55 scale, and it would be an amazing collection by just that alone!  there are many many variants for the gray 1J.  image.jpeg.f1ef949aa554ff272f816a7f9b6011b0.jpeg

On 4/22/2024 at 2:26 AM, strikevalk said:

one could simply take on the task of collecting every gray vf-1j variant in 1/55 scale, and it would be an amazing collection by just that alone!  there are many many variants for the gray 1J.  image.jpeg.f1ef949aa554ff272f816a7f9b6011b0.jpeg

I believe there’s an Arabic language version that has this specific coloring as well.  Probably be very hard to find these days.

Also it seems the bootleg fever runs high even in Japan given some of those sold prices.  And almost all sold higher than the minty real Takatoku Hikaru he sold as well.

38 minutes ago, glane21 said:

I believe there’s an Arabic language version that has this specific coloring as well.  Probably be very hard to find these days.

Also it seems the bootleg fever runs high even in Japan given some of those sold prices.  And almost all sold higher than the minty real Takatoku Hikaru he sold as well.

One day. One of us will be fortunate enough to find that elusive rainbow colored box with figure.

It’s only a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, Anasazi37 said:

The earliest decal sets I know of were made by Jung. I came across this old image in my archives (Aug 2001), where his set is the middle one. I'm not sure who made the top one, but I think the bottom one is from takatoys, although the supplemental sheets say "produced by vf1x.com" on them, so I'm not sure. Sorry for the terrible resolution. I might still have an unused Jung set around here somewhere. Will try to find it this weekend.

image.png

I'm 4 years out of date, but is there anyone making full set reproductions still?
Toyhax has a set, but its missing all the factory applied stickers.

Even a digital file i can print on sticky paper myself?

I lurk on quite a few FB forums where G1 Jetfires are sold, and a trend I've noticed over the last year is "perfect paint job" Jetfires suddenly being found. Even though they are known to often have paint rubs on the nose before being removed from the box for the first time, the same crowd that a few years ago figured out there are variations between different molds and which version parts don't mix and match very well, and then publicly discussed and eventually mastered bleaching them, are now "finding" them with no paint rubs, no fading, no thin spots or chipping anywhere, etc.

I guess if they are done with care and end up looking like the real thing, I can't complain too much. But no one is admitting to repainting them, so just on principle I don't like the dishonesty. I'm sure some of these people shelling out $150-$200 for a [touched up] Jetfire with no accessories are going to also shell out to get them graded. I wonder if the scammer leech price fixing grading companies catch the paint touch ups and ding them for it?

12 hours ago, GrampaStump said:

I lurk on quite a few FB forums where G1 Jetfires are sold, and a trend I've noticed over the last year is "perfect paint job" Jetfires suddenly being found. Even though they are known to often have paint rubs on the nose before being removed from the box for the first time, the same crowd that a few years ago figured out there are variations between different molds and which version parts don't mix and match very well, and then publicly discussed and eventually mastered bleaching them, are now "finding" them with no paint rubs, no fading, no thin spots or chipping anywhere, etc.

I guess if they are done with care and end up looking like the real thing, I can't complain too much. But no one is admitting to repainting them, so just on principle I don't like the dishonesty. I'm sure some of these people shelling out $150-$200 for a [touched up] Jetfire with no accessories are going to also shell out to get them graded. I wonder if the scammer leech price fixing grading companies catch the paint touch ups and ding them for it?

I've got a half dozen mint Jetfire's and your right they all have some flaw one way or another. some of that info released(in this thread too mostly) has been very helpful as I have most of the variants.I've got one jetfire with a factory chip on the sliding chest plate with the red paint has yellow paint underneath it.. that's weird but never removed from cradle or why it would be yellow .

I will tell you this CAS has no clue what they are doing. they took the tape off several 85 Bandai 1/55's that were totally mint 95+ grade .. graded them as open box. ripped the box flaps on each box like savages I sent them 8 and to damage those robust old box's was stupidity.  it was like they just forced the contents out will tugging at an angle gripping onto the flap.. it was sheer stupidity for them to be so wreakless. I don't recommend anyone get a toy graded unless its so rare it needs to be documented. I think most that send in just want them cased and one would be better off just having CAD out of Canada make one or getting a protector made by Katana Collectables .

Also CAS screwed up bad on paperwork mixing pictures with other things I sent in. even after i told them they did not fix so when you look online its the wrong toy. they also screwed up the grades were 75/80 got 85+90  while the 85+90 got 75/80 grades. you can just look at the box's and see the difference. one box looks factory fresh with a 75 grade while another the box is beat up, faded, dented and its suppose to be a 90+!

I used to be a coin collector & comic collector its all a scam... they work backroom deals to give better grades to certain dealers and some will steal your stuff and replace it.  I was a big defender of stuff entombed but over time I've listened to others views like on here were people talk about the shelf life of the toys. I would rather display out of the box or not have it. that's why I'm going to be selling the rest of my Macross & Jetfire 1/55  I can't enjoy them.  not getting rid of them all just copies and the takatoku ones . Keeping my 1985 VF-1J, Elitseeker, Super Ostrich & 1990 + Jetfire Variants everything else is going. Macross stuff I'm just collecting 1/48 now and select things. I already sold about 30 jetfires but never needed to doctor them they are so in demand people like them in used condition. used might be better as they will fall apart sooner or later anyways from packing parts failing to yellowing.

the Bandai 1/55 were always superior to the 1/55 Jetfires in terms of quality and packaging. I've got Jetfire graded were the foam nugget and strap has come undone. the toy itself is destroying the foam insert its in. latterly grinding up the foam anytime there is movement.. this was graded by CAS last year, sealed. when at someone at CAS had dropped the box before encasing it (hard!) and over the last few months the toy has destroyed itself.. now the case itself just sitting in a box has developed cracks... the toy is ruined, has to be cracked opened, fixed and will no longer be a factory sealed jetfire. at least with the Bandai ones they age gracefully.

Hi everybody. After a long hiatus, coming back again end of last year or so. Never properly introduce myself now that I think about it.

Long story short, made some very bad financial decisions on the middle of last decade and finally came out from red numbers last year. Like a junky on rehab, I forced myself not to get into forums, selling sites and local stores. This gives me the unique opportunity to get into my so-far-bought toys and really check them out in detail, fine tuning differences, discovering new ones and trying to figure it out the runs on different brands, molds, etc. Once I re-read this forum and find out all new posts I had missed, I realized I was rediscovering the wheel, or running in parallel at the best….. That said, this forum and all the valuable external sources provided reinforced my knowledge and put a story on my findings and gave me valuable insights.  I will be always grateful for that.

Well, basically, I am a Jetfire G1 guy.  I fell in love the day one kid brough it at school. My parents couldn´t afford to buy me one. Sounds familiar?

Jetfire opened me the door to Macross world. I love 1/55 old school Valks. Solid, bullet proof. Fortunate enough, I managed myself to get very good specimens before my forced hiatus, acquiring almost all Jetfire variants, and Macross as well, all 1/55. Somehow, I was able to keep them.  Sold a kidney instead. Who needs a kidney when you own an all-time collectible toy?

Jokes aside, it looks like I'll come back a little late to the party considering the prices and knowledge that's been released, but I'll be patient to find the missing ones with the right quality and the right price. Easy to say, but very difficult to do, though. Well, has been 8 months or so and one Valk bought makes me think I'm on the right track. The variants themselves are enough work and will keep me busy in the time to come.

Before my forced hiatus, I was starting to get into 1/60s and 1/55 KOs.  On Valk rehab, I had the time to set my North and re-evaluate my priorities going forward with this hobby. First thing, no more bad quality Valks for me. I was breaking my first rule of my own created Macross constitution and the reason I came to this world in the first place; the specimen needs to be solid, have the feeling of unbreakable while transforming.... well, a solid stand overall. Being a JETFIRE G1.

I respect people into KO´s and I understand them as a collector. I really admire their knowledge and passion. Respect, and high praise for them.  It´s just I realized that´s not for me. Bugs me a lot a bad quality Valk. Even if it is sealed. Just knowing it does not meet my standards bugs me. 

Thanks for reading and getting to the end.

Edited by Kyrie

16 hours ago, GrampaStump said:

I think you are right. I have the same feeling on my returning to selling sites. It is not that they haven´t been such specimens 10 years or so ago, but the number surely increased.

Regarding grading companies, not really very well informed. Never used them, never agreed on the concept. The previous response gives more knowledge about it. But my personal position is summarized in your strikethrough statement.... and you are being very kind.