SDF-1 or SDF-2 in DYRL?

i noticed in macross perfect memory a picture of the SDF-1 with the aircraft carrier arms and then on the next page clearly labeled SDF-2 the same ship that is in D.Y.R.L. so my question is: If the SDF-2 was without a doubt the ship in D.Y.R.L. then is it truly in the same timeline as Macross tv series or was there some meaning to this?

i noticed in macross perfect memory a picture of the SDF-1 with the aircraft carrier arms and then on the next page clearly labeled SDF-2 the same ship that is in D.Y.R.L. so my question is: If the SDF-2 was without a doubt the ship in D.Y.R.L. then is it truly in the same timeline as Macross tv series or was there some meaning to this?

337336[/snapback]

No, DYRL had the SDF-1, it was just a slightly different SDF than in the TV show. They are 2 completely separate stories.... I am sure some pussy will come into this thread and tell you that DYRL is part of M7 but that is BS... 10 years after DYRL came out they pimped its name in Macross7 as a pathetic attempt to breathe some life into the lamest show ever.

In the SDFMacross timeline, the SDF was a Supervisional Army ship that crashed on Earth, in DYRL the SDF was a Meltohlauedy ship. Here is a picture pre-crash.

post-204-1129569506_thumb.gif

Or, to put it more succinctly without the totally extraneous mention (and bashing) of M7. :lol:

The SDF-1 is the ship in both the TV series and DYRL.

DYRL is a re-telling or "re-imagining" of the events that took place in the TV Series. Some explain this by saying that the movie (DYRL) is actually a movie produced within the world of the TV series to relate the events of Space War 1.

A lot of people also state that it's official that, while the story of the TV series is canonical and takes precedence over the movie, the ship and character designs from the movie take precedence over the ship and character designs of the TV series.

Now, all of that is just the basic consensus. Some will say that Kawamori has said this or that to back it up. Others will doubt the legitimacy of much of it. For, me I really don't care, because what's above makes the most sense to me and resolves most of the confusion once it's digested.

Long story short: It's the SDF-1 in both. What happened in the TV series is what "really" happened. Though, everyone and everything's appearance was like what we saw in the movie.

Best,

H

P.S. Okay, so that wasn't any more succinct than A1's. :o

Edited by Hurin

DYRL is a re-telling or "re-imagining" of the events that took place in the TV Series.  Some explain this by saying that the movie (DYRL) is actually a movie produced within the world of the TV series to relate the events of Space War 1.

337351[/snapback]

That's what I've always believed.

You sure thread starter doesn't mean SDF-2 Megalord (later Megaroad-01)?

Cuz Perfect Memory has an image of SDF-2 Megalord in there. It doesn't have the DYRL? SDF-1.

Edited by azrael

Cuz Perfect Memory has an image of SDF-2 Megalord in there. It doesn't have the DYRL? SDF-1.

337370[/snapback]

Good point. He's probably more confused than he realizes. :p

Either way... wasn't the Megalord originally planned as another SDF-style battleship?

So it could be argued it's a glimpse into Macross history. That's what they were GOING to make before Space War 1 ended.

After SW1 they had a not-insignifigant set of zentradi battleships, and the desire to launch a long-range colony mission, so priorities changed and they retrofitted the paritally-completed Megalord into the Megaroad.

337370[/snapback]

thread starter here, if you have a copy of perfect memory go to the mecha section and find the sdf1 and sdf2, the sdf1 has for lack of a better term dadelous and prometheus arms and the sdf2 has the space ship thingies for its arms, just an observation i thought was interesting. jeez getting a little hot in here, thought fans would find it interestin is all, if i could only read japanese i could tell more. this place feels like new orlenes after cerfiew, what a warm bunch :(

jeez getting a little hot in here, thought fans would find it interestin is all, if i could only read japanese i could tell more. this place feels like new orlenes after cerfiew, what a warm bunch :(

337382[/snapback]

Who's getting uppity? A1's always like that. He just hates M7. Other than that, everyone's being calm and helpful.

H

jeez getting a little hot in here, thought fans would find it interestin is all, if i could only read japanese i could tell more. this place feels like new orlenes after cerfiew, what a warm bunch :(

337382[/snapback]

Who's getting uppity? A1's always like that. He just hates M7. Other than that, everyone's being calm and helpful.

H

337389[/snapback]

My son (Hurin) is correct, I am never hostile here... The real problem is that I am awesome and often weaklings get bothered by this fact when they don't agree with me.

Its kinda like how Erropeans loved the US back when we were the only country that could stand up to the USSR... but now that the threat is gone, all of a sudden our power is unfair. HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

thread starter here, if you have a copy of perfect memory go to the mecha section and find the sdf1 and sdf2, the sdf1 has for lack of a better term dadelous and prometheus arms and the sdf2 has the space ship thingies for its arms, just an observation i thought was interesting. jeez getting a little hot in here, thought fans would find it interestin is all, if i could only read japanese i could tell more. this place feels like new orlenes after cerfiew, what a warm bunch :(

337382[/snapback]

Don't mind the big muscle guy who likes to walk around naked. We try to get him to put on some pants at least but well....:p

But yes, that ship with the 2 "space ship thingies for its arms" is indeed SDF-2 Megalord. It's not SDF-1 from DYRL?. Although I don't have my copy of Perfect Memory on me, I do remember a picture of SDF-2 in there in full detail.

To answer the question....

If the SDF-2 was without a doubt the ship in D.Y.R.L. then is it truly in the same timeline as Macross tv series or was there some meaning to this?

It is not the SDF-2. SDF-2 was never completed and eventually was re-designed to be Megaroad-01. The SDF-1 from DYRL?, was indeed... the SDF-1. After 2012, SDF-1 was rebuilt and refitted to it's current look (as seen in DYRL?, M+ and MII). The ship in DYRL? is, well for most cases (minus the refit...)...100% SDF-1. So the DYRL? SDF-1 is not the SDF-2. :)

Either way... wasn't the Megalord originally planned as another SDF-style battleship?

So it could be argued it's a glimpse into Macross history. That's what they were GOING to make before Space War 1 ended.

Yes, it was planned to be another SDF. They were kinda building it during SWI. They just never got around to actually finishing it. Groundwork began on the Moon in 2003. Construction stopped somewhere and resumed back in 2012 as Megaroad-01.

Every time I see someone put the "?" at the end of the acronym for Do You Remember Love?, it trips me up. I guess I'm like Ron Burgundy from Anchroman.

"Stay classy San Diego. I'm Ron Burgundy?"

"Dammit! Who put the question mark on the teleprompter!?!"

I see DYRL? and almost always think it's an abrupt and inquisitive end to a sentence.

H

337370[/snapback]

thread starter here,

As is evidenced by your user name...

if you have a copy of perfect memory go to the mecha section and find the sdf1 and sdf2, the sdf1 has for lack of a better term dadelous and prometheus arms and the sdf2 has the space ship thingies for its arms, just an observation i thought was interesting.

People were just pointing out that ths SDF2 was never built, not even in DYRL.

The thing is that the SDF2 concept art was ALSO a representation of the plan for the SDF1.

In continuity, the Macross was originally intended to dock with the ARMD1 and ARMD2. Britai prevented that, and when they did the bad space fold that took Daedalus and Prometheus, they retrofitted them on to boost their mecha stores and give them more launch facilities.

The Prometheus' catapults were especially useful given that it requires reaction mass to accelerate in space, which seemed to be lacking from the ship's integrated hangers. Every bit of starting velocity is that much less reaction mass expended, and thus the Prometheus became the primary place for VF launch.

(I ASSUME the ARMDs had catapults of some sort as well).

And as DYRL was attemtping to condense things greatly, they skipped most of the setup. So they went with the finalized Macross to avoid having to explain why there was an aircraft carrier hanging off a space ship. 'Cuz lets face it, the boat arms were really kinda cheezy if you didn't know why they were there.

Edited by JB0

Every time I see someone put the "?" at the end of the acronym for Do You Remember Love?, it trips me up.  I guess I'm like Ron Burgundy from Anchroman.

"Stay classy San Diego.  I'm Ron Burgundy?"

"Dammit!  Who put the question mark on the teleprompter!?!"

I see DYRL? and almost always think it's an abrupt and inquisitive end to a sentence.

H

337399[/snapback]

HAHA, never thought of Burgandy, but every once in a while I see the "?" at the end and wonder, 'like so what the hell about it.'

337336[/snapback]

No, DYRL had the SDF-1, it was just a slightly different SDF than in the TV show. They are 2 completely separate stories.... I am sure some pussy will come into this thread and tell you that DYRL is part of M7 but that is BS... 10 years after DYRL came out they pimped its name in Macross7 as a pathetic attempt to breathe some life into the lamest show ever.

In the SDFMacross timeline, the SDF was a Supervisional Army ship that crashed on Earth, in DYRL the SDF was a Meltohlauedy ship. Here is a picture pre-crash.

337343[/snapback]

337370[/snapback]

thread starter here,

As is evidenced by your user name...

if you have a copy of perfect memory go to the mecha section and find the sdf1 and sdf2, the sdf1 has for lack of a better term dadelous and prometheus arms and the sdf2 has the space ship thingies for its arms, just an observation i thought was interesting.

People were just pointing out that ths SDF2 was never built, not even in DYRL.

The thing is that the SDF2 concept art was ALSO a representation of the plan for the SDF1.

In continuity, the Macross was originally intended to dock with the ARMD1 and ARMD2. Britai prevented that, and when they did the bad space fold that took Daedalus and Prometheus, they retrofitted them on to boost their mecha stores and give them more launch facilities.

The Prometheus' catapults were especially useful given that it requires reaction mass to accelerate in space, which seemed to be lacking from the ship's integrated hangers. Every bit of starting velocity is that much less reaction mass expended, and thus the Prometheus became the primary place for VF launch.

(I ASSUME the ARMDs had catapults of some sort as well).

And as DYRL was attemtping to condense things greatly, they skipped most of the setup. So they went with the finalized Macross to avoid having to explain why there was an aircraft carrier hanging off a space ship. 'Cuz lets face it, the boat arms were really kinda cheezy if you didn't know why they were there.

337431[/snapback]

The Short Version

DYRL was always meant as movie of the events that occured in M:tv, though, with thoughs of revisionism on my mind, perhaps how DYRL looked was what we should look upon as the style and aesthetics of the VFs and the ships. after all, up until the DS9 episode (and the subiquent clearing of this with recent episodes of ENT), we were led to believe that klingons always looked like TMP klingons, simply the 60's era SFx prevented it at the time...

though i didn't know that in DYRL that the Macross was a derelict Meltran ship and not a Supervision Army Gunboat.

10 years after DYRL came out they pimped its name in Macross7

No they didn't, that itself is just fan fabrication/exaggeration.

The entire "DYRL is a movie" nonsense was generated from one throw away line in the first episode of M7 that doesn't even reference DYRL.

DYRL was always meant as movie of the events that occured in M:tv

No, it was not. It was a retelling of the Macross story with changes to it's story to accommodate the shorter run time and an updating of it's art style to showcase that it was a high budget theatrical feature rather than a modestly budgeted tv series - stylistic changes that were adopted for all series made after that point.

It's completely silly to suggest DYRL was made or even retconned into being in continuity given that Kawamori openly is not very interested in maintaining tight continuity.

The entire "DYRL is a movie" nonsense was generated from one throw away line in the first episode of M7 that doesn't even reference DYRL.

It's completely silly to suggest DYRL was made or even retconned into being in continuity given that Kawamori openly is not very interested in maintaining tight continuity.

February

Space War I made into a movie, "Do You Remember Love?" Premiere of this movie which portrays the Battle with Golg Boddole Zer and the love of Lynn Minmay. It becomes a big hit, and the Minmay boom rekindles.

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2013/index.html

Silly or not, it actually WAS retconned into the official continuity.

February

Space War I made into a movie, "Do You Remember Love?" Premiere of this movie which portrays the Battle with Golg Boddole Zer and the love of Lynn Minmay. It becomes a big hit, and the Minmay boom rekindles.

337752[/snapback]

Yeah, like I said, 10 years later... And I am talkin REAL human time, not fantasy land fruit cake time.

February

337752[/snapback]

Ouch! Nice. I love it when someone calls a pretty firmly established fact "silly."

February

337752[/snapback]

Yeah, like I said, 10 years later... And I am talkin REAL human time, not fantasy land fruit cake time.

337753[/snapback]

I';m not arguing that it was originally planned as such. I think it's fairly evident that no such thing had been considered. The official continuity wasn't laid out until much later(if I recall, it was hammered out during the production of Plus, as the existence of sequels necessitated a "real" version of events).

Just that it was granted the movie-within-a-movie status it does, in fact, hold.

I still don't see the huge problem some have with DYRL being placed as a movie within the continuity. It creates no canon conflicts, doesn't kill your mother, and is still a pretty unique method of handling the problem.

Hell, it's even referenced in Plus, be it ever so briefly, when Myung goes to the room (in the Macross) where Sharon's CPU is housed, which bears a striking resemblance to the room Hikaru slapped Minmay before the climax in DYRL, Sharon's first words to her were "So you remembered."

Edited by Keith