'Lord of War' trailer

Guest Bromgrev

We need guns. Lots of guns ... er, I mean, tractor parts ...

On my 'to watch' list now.

316127[/snapback]

You're just saying that 'cause you're in it. Hands up, anyone who's seen Graham and Nick Cage in one place at the same time?

Edited by Bromgrev

We need guns. Lots of guns ... er, I mean, tractor parts ...
On my 'to watch' list now.

316127[/snapback]

You're just saying that 'cause you're in it. Hands up, anyone who's seen Graham and Nick Cage in one place at the same time?

316133[/snapback]

I resemble that remark.

Graham

Andrew Nicol has done some good stuff so far, so I'm kinda intrigued by this one. It's been a while since I've seen Nicholas Cage in a good movie, so despite the cookie-cutter editing of the trailer, I'm still quite interested.

This movie looks promising. I didn't get to watch the first half of the movie cause it's soooo busy at work. I gotta sit down and check it out when it slows down. ;):D:p:lol:

I might pass. I've skipped every Nic Cage movie there is for a while now. Even Matchstick Men from Ridley Scott...

Looking forward more to History Of Violence... That looks like a throwback to the old 70s pushed to the limit stuff like "Walking Tall" and "Death Wish"

Guest Bromgrev

I think this might be the one to make me watch Nick Cage movies again. He just shouldn't do serious roles. Hear me, Nick? Just say "NO!"

The last Nic Cage movie I liked was The Rock and that as what, 9 years ago!

Graham

316448[/snapback]

Sean Connery made that movie. Too bad the movie wasn't about Michael Biehn and the rest of the SEAL team vs. the terrorists... that would have been an even better movie.

Actually, Nicholas Cage can act quite well when given a good role. His work in Adaptation and Matchstick Men was very good, despite the fact that neither of those films were extraordinairy. I was quite impressed with what he had to offer in those two films, enough so that my opinion of him was changed significantly. I think he is quite skilled at his art in contrast to the projects he accepts and certainly better than most.

Edited by Mr March

Actually, Nicholas Cage can act quite well when given a good role.  His work in Adaptation and Matchstick Men was very good, despite the fact that neither of those films were extraordinairy.  I was quite impressed with what he had to offer in those two films, enough so that my opinion of him was changed significantly.  I think he is quite skilled at his art in contrast to the projects he accepts and certainly better than most.

316530[/snapback]

Once again, I concur with Senor March. Cage = good, except for Con Air which = bad.

Once again, I concur with Senor March.  Cage = good, except for Con Air which = bad.

It's funny, but my friend recently told me a great story about Con Air :)

He saw Con Air in theatres and never thought much of it. Years later, he received the DVD from a friend while he was still living in the UK and pretty much avoided watching the disc more than once because of his distaste. When he moved here to Canada two years ago, he sold all his region 2 stuff before he left, so he was rid of Con Air at last. Last month, he happened upon a Buy-3-For-$20 DVD sale and picked a couple favorites he'd been meaning to get, but was stumped to find a third disc among the marked items. He then came across Con Air on the shelf, recalling that he once owned it and figured that it was good enough to own again. When he watched the movie, he was appalled by how much he hated it and cursed his own stupidity, now realizing why he had despised it so.

Rather than try to sell his DVD or garbage it, he has decided to keep it. He has placed it on the top of his shelf, seperate from all his other DVDs, but always within line of sight of his collection. He bestows upon the DVD the honor of a life lesson and says this one bad movie that he can't stand will remain in his collection as a constant reminder never to purchase crap films again.

I swear I nearly ruptured my spleen with laughter :)

Once again, I concur with Senor March.  Cage = good, except for Con Air which = bad.

It's funny, but my friend recently told me a great story about Con Air :)

He saw Con Air in theatres and never thought much of it. Years later, he received the DVD from a friend while he was still living in the UK and pretty much avoided watching the disc more than once because of his distaste. When he moved here to Canada two years ago, he sold all his region 2 stuff before he left, so he was rid of Con Air at last. Last month, he happened upon a Buy-3-For-$20 DVD sale and picked a couple favorites he'd been meaning to get, but was stumped to find a third disc among the marked items. He then came across Con Air on the shelf, recalling that he once owned it and figured that it was good enough to own again. When he watched the movie, he was appalled by how much he hated it and cursed his own stupidity, now realizing why he had despised it so.

Rather than try to sell his DVD or garbage it, he has decided to keep it. He has placed it on the top of his shelf, seperate from all his other DVDs, but always within line of sight of his collection. He bestows upon the DVD the honor of a life lesson and says this one bad movie that he can't stand will remain in his collection as a constant reminder never to purchase crap films again.

I swear I nearly ruptured my spleen with laughter :)

316639[/snapback]

Sadly I have a friend whose just like that - just wasting his money, at full retail prices, on DVDs he might watch once or twice then dump them or forget them. :(

well just got finishing watching this movie with bigkid24, exo, and solscud007. It's not a bad movie. It's pretty long though. I'll let the other guys who've seen it give their review on it. ;):D:p:lol:

I've decided that I'm horrible at rating movies so I'll just say, if you watch to watch it, watch it. If you don't, don't.

Minor Spoilers? (Doesn't tell you anything about plot but if you really don't want to know......

My observations on the movie:

There's not a lot of violence, there's decent eye candy, apparently Ethan Hawke is stuck playing law enforcement for the rest of his career, and I want a gold plated AK-47, :lol:

I think this might be the one to make me watch Nick Cage movies again. He just shouldn't do serious roles. Hear me, Nick? Just say "NO!"

316442[/snapback]

Come on, Face Off was not that bad. Nick Cage was great as Castor Troy. Of course, that was not a serious role.

Con Air was fairly entertaining... especially since Malkovich was in it. But when I first saw the trailer, I laughed. "one in every twelve people owns a firearm on the planet, the real question is how do we arm the other eleven."

It was funny. Definitely on the to see list.

Nick Cage's acting didn't bug me at all in this movie. It's an ok movie, It's more like Blow and less than Scarface or Goodfellas. You know, the rise and fall of a criminal. It's very predictable though, especially if you've seen those movies. Really really predictable. There's nothing that happens where you don't know what the outcome will be. And Jared Leto is forever the most dispensible actor in any movie he comes out in. He's like the red shirt for crime movies. Good actor, but way too pigeon holed as far as roles. For a gun movie don't expect any gun play. There's probably enough gun talk to excite gun enthusiast, but not enough to satisfy the more hardcore knowledgable ones like the ones in the Weapon's banter thread. It's interesting though because we saw an unfinished version. Most of the film is finished but the opening sequence was raw, unrenderred CG of a bullet going from the manufacturer and into the hands of some Middle Eastern "freedom fighter". I'm interested to se the final cut of that scene now but not enough to go see it again.

We also saw Fun With Dick And Jane. It was alright, not bust your guys funny, but it was OK.

We also saw Fun With Dick And Jane.  It was alright, not bust your guys funny, but it was OK.

318523[/snapback]

Not enough laughs for a comedy if you ask me. I think more of the downhill slide should have been montage and there should have been more stealing.

I agree. it wasn't as funny as I thought it was gonna be. Not only because of Jim Carrey but because I think Tea Leni is pretty funny too. But it just took way too long to get to the crime part. They tried so hard to get the audience to sympathize them turning to crime, what they didn't realize is they didn't have to. I was pulling for them to start sticking up people already. I don't think I would go see either movie again when they come out in the theatre and would not be missing anything if I didn't see them in the first place.

I didn't think this warranted another thread, so I decided to hack this one. :)

The Sony Ericsson commercials that are playing during the movie previews - wtf? Its clearly funny, but is there some inside joke I'm missing? What's the song called?

I didn't think this warranted another thread, so I decided to hack this one. :)

The Sony Ericsson commercials that are playing during the movie previews - wtf?  Its clearly funny, but is there some inside joke I'm missing?  What's the song called?

318550[/snapback]

yeah, I saw that the other day and was like WTF?? I didn't get it either, so I just brushed it off. :D:p:lol:

• 5 months later...

I finally got to catch this movie. WOW. Better than expected.

Great performances by Nic Cage and his wacky coked out brother Jared Leto.

I'd recommend it for wannabe gun runners.

I watched the film in theatres. It was good and so was Cage, but it just lacked that little extra "pow" that turns a film from good to great. Still, it's well worth at least a rental and the humor is quite amusing.

Plus, who can resist all those guns? :)

• 3 weeks later...