Gundam: True Odyssey

Gundam: True Odyssey is getting a US release!

Apparently, this was announced at the San Diego Comic-Con. For those of you unfamiliar, True Oddysey is a Gundam RPG. The story is a totally original story that fits into none of the Gundam universes, but the mobile suits come from all over the franchise (super deformed, sadly). In towns, you're the humans in your party. Outside and in battle, your human party drives their mobile suits. Each party member will have special abilities that suit them to some suits more than others, and as they level up, they'll get better at piloting mobile suits. The mobile suits themselves are more like equipement, although the weapons the MS carry can be changed out, again, between series (there's a screenshot of the RX-78 with a Gelgoog shield and a Zaku's spiked shoulder). Battles are random and turn-based.

This is excellent news, indeed! :D

I've been praying for this to make it to the States after seeing all of the stuff about it.

Can't wait to battle with my GM that has a Dom head, Qubeley shoulders, and GP02A legs&feet!!! :blink:

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Mmmm.... build-your-own mecha...

Sure Biomotor Unitron was a somewhat lackluster RPG, but the ability to change parts out and customize the look of your mech kept me poking at it far longer than I should've(at one point late in th egame when I could get away with it I didn't even bother with stats and just went for looks, including charging into battles with TOTALLY the wrong elemental coating, just for the color pallete).

Being able to do it on something more advanced... *drools*

Wonder if you can change your paint job.

Edited by JB0

:(

From Guntoa :

True Odyssey for America UPDATED

IGN reports from Comic-Con that Bandai announced that they'll be bringing over Gundam: True Odyssey this Winter. Good news for stateside Gundam fans who wanted something a little different from the standard Gundam action/fighting fare.

Edit: IGN put up an official preview article as well.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/633/633907p1.html

I remember being told by a Bandai rep. a few years ago that they thought that a Gundam RPG/strategy game (Gihren's Greed) wouldn't do well enough to justify bringing it stateside... <_<

I guess this is better then nothing, but I would far prefer that they do the PS2 or the upcoming PSP Gihren's Greed...

I remember being told by a Bandai rep. a few years ago that they thought that a Gundam RPG/strategy game (Gihren's Greed) wouldn't do well enough to justify bringing it stateside... <_<

I guess this is better then nothing, but I would far prefer that they do the PS2 or the upcoming PSP Gihren's Greed...

311145[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I remember their official party line too. Funny how that Gundam's practically dead in NA now that they are releasing a Gundam RPG/strategy game despite their earlier stance.

311145[/snapback]

I agree, Giren's Greed is definately my favorite Gundam game and even though I trudged through it in Japanese on the PS1 I'd gladly jump at the chance to play the thing in English.

To me the graphics look to sketchy, and the whole concept of how Mobile Suits are created is pretty farfetched from what I've been hearing...while character designs are okay, I do not like the fact the Mobile Suits are Chibi Chibi....It annoys the crap outta me.

It'd better be a good game or I'm staying awayfrom it.

• 6 months later...

Wow just 2 more weeks till its released.......wonder why Gamestop doesn't have it up on its website? Thought it did......

Anyways, graphics look better then the first time I saw it back in the summer....still, the chibiness still bugs me, and the fact its turn based. The last turned base mecha game I played was Vanguard Bandits and I thought it was a HUGE rip off of Escaflowne....never touched Armored Core or anything like that.

Wow just 2 more weeks till its released.......wonder why Gamestop doesn't have it up on its website? Thought it did......

Anyways, graphics look better then the first time I saw it back in the summer....still, the chibiness still bugs me, and the fact its turn based.  The last turned base mecha game I played was Vanguard Bandits and I thought it was a HUGE rip off of Escaflowne....never touched Armored Core or anything like that.

368503[/snapback]

It is up on their site...I saw it yesterday but it said it was for the x-box. I know this is wrong. It is being release as "MS Saga"

I have the Japanese version but still haven't had a chance to play it. Been too busy with other games. I typically don't like RPG but got this to give it a chance.

Anyways, graphics look better then the first time I saw it back in the summer....still, the chibiness still bugs me, and the fact its turn based.  The last turned base mecha game I played was Vanguard Bandits and I thought it was a HUGE rip off of Escaflowne....never touched Armored Core or anything like that.

368503[/snapback]

Armored Core isn't turned based, it's an action game. You're probably thinking of Front Mission.

Is the combat traditional turn based RPG battles (like Final Fantasy) or on a grid/hex map more like a traditional strategy game? SD-ness aside, the game sounds kind of interesting in a silly way. If I didn't have only a JP PS2 I'd probably check it out, but I don't have much interest in playing an RPG where I can barely understand the story.

oh yeah right, Front Mission.........see........they've all looked so damn similar over the years.......I know it was Front Mission a friend of mine always played and I thought it was pretty hoaxy......guess I'll have to look at Armored Core now.....

my bad it looks random generated battle like FF.......I just took alook at some caps and also said random generated battles at Gamespot.

And I found it at Gamestop's website now.......stupid title change......I'll see if I wanna get this or not.

Edited by Hikuro

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, MS Saga is out now. Anyone pick it up? The reviews have run the gamut from less than good to not quite great. But as a Gundam fan, I figure there's gotta be something in there for me (and hopefully that something will be a Nu Gundam, the one mobile suit I always regretted never found it's way into a Vs. game).

The SD turns me off COMPLETELY. I never seemed to see what the big fan base or fuss was about Gundams being "cute". They are war machines. Even more blasphemous: SD Super Valks.

I'd rather go for Valkyrie Profile 2. Oh wait, it's not so much of a "rather", I bet my sweet @$$ I'd go for VP2 (as many others who've had the opportunity to play such a "God Sauce" RPG.)

Bandai USA gave Gihren's Greed the shaft years ago because "Gundam RPG's/Stategy games won't sell here".

Since they left a US release of Gihren's Greed high and dry, I'm not waisting my money on this SD stuff... still got to get around to beating Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam anyway! :p

Okay, you guys are missing out. I'm about 4 hours into it already. The story is... functional, I suppose. It's no Shin Megami Tensei or Final Fantasy, but it serves the purpose of telling you why you're doing what you're doing and where to go next. And yes, I was as put off by the SD look as the next fan, but once you get used to it, it fits the game. The combat is a simple turn-based affair that works well for a game about driving giant robots. What really has me hooked though is the way you change parts and equip your mobile suits.

I'd give you more details, but frankly, I'd rather be playing the game than talking about it. Ciao for now, I'm off to try and jam Dom leg parts onto my GM.

I picked up the game from work lastnight, and I played almost 2 hours worth......just finished the Fort mission and that Gouf was a piece of cake....infact all the bosses so far haven't been a challenge, but I'll bite my tongue later I hope.

The SDness grows on you, when you compare their 1/1 scale to a human scale in the game, it really doesn't seem so bad....I think of the SD MS's like old school RPGing, yep good way of viewing it.

What I enjoy is that you can equip your MS's with lots of different weapons cause you have a grid that allows you too arrange range weapons in any order as long as they fit on the grid. I have Fritz with a Zaku Machine Gun and a Megellan Top cannon, Tristan with a Machine Gun and a small shield.

I like the level of detail they put into the mobile suits and enviorments when you get into "dungeons" per say. The Moon Ark has alot of detail in the interior, and the Fort was rather nice.

The Character designs really remind me of Turn A, along with the storyline.......believe it or not this game storyline tells you that they were once apart of the UC timeline, but something horrible "The Great Fall" occured and little of no records survived, thus making Universal Century a rumor.

What's getting to me are these Ecaps, it looks like you can't actually upgrade your mobile suits unless you got these stupid things and I only found one....

I picked up the game from work lastnight, and I played almost 2 hours worth......just finished the Fort mission and that Gouf was a piece of cake....infact all the bosses so far haven't been a challenge, but I'll bite my tongue later I hope.

The SDness grows on you, when you compare their 1/1 scale to a human scale in the game, it really doesn't seem so bad....I think of the SD MS's like old school RPGing, yep good way of viewing it.

What I enjoy is that you can equip your MS's with lots of different weapons cause you have a grid that allows you too arrange range weapons in any order as long as they fit on the grid.  I have Fritz with a Zaku Machine Gun and a Megellan Top cannon, Tristan with a Machine Gun and a small shield.

I like the level of detail they put into the mobile suits and enviorments when you get into "dungeons" per say.  The Moon Ark has alot of detail in the interior, and the Fort was rather nice.

The Character designs really remind me of Turn A, along with the storyline.......believe it or not this game storyline tells you that they were once apart of the UC timeline, but something horrible "The Great Fall" occured and little of no records survived, thus making Universal Century a rumor.

What's getting to me are these Ecaps, it looks like you can't actually upgrade your mobile suits unless you got these stupid things and I only found one....

373699[/snapback]

E-cap (S) are just to buy upgrades. Not a huge deal.

E-cap (L) are needed to make new Mobile Suits. It'll be awhile yet before you get a chance to make a new Mobile Suit.

Me, personally, I just made a Gelgoog, and eventually broke down and sold my original Zaku I, Zaku II, and GM. The Gelgoog is only about halfway upgraded, and it's already nearly double the power of my second best Mobile Suit (a fully upgraded GM Command, with Dom legs).

*EDIT* Oh, yeah, almost forgot to mention. It does get a LOT harder. Some levels they'll try to wear you down through attrition. But wait until you fight the Xamel. That was a hell of a fight.

Edited by mikeszekely

There's actually an easy way to defeat the Xamel that made me go "WTF?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" cause it'll be to the point none of your HP will go down.

No matter what, have Fritz in your party, make sure your over LVL12 for all your characters. Watch the Xamel's EN gauge, cause it'll do 1 of 3 things per turn cause its boost levels charge up quick.

1) Spread shot

2) Missile shot

3) Single charged cannon shot

When ever you see a BST ready to go, select Fritz boost abilities (make sure he defends first for a lil bit so he can build up his EN) and select Chaffs.

Everytime the Xamel fires ANY of his boost shots, they'll be deflected by the Chaffs for ONE turn only. It's unimportant to perform the Chaff boost when the Xamel is NOT in BST mode....but if every turn continues to be that way, Chaffs. If Fritz is out of EN, just have him defend and switch your party members around so they can rest up.

I just finished the stage where the Dark Army (renamed Death Army) from G Gundam are being heavily massproduced in G System 03 and then Master Gundam appearing out of no where.

But this is what I got thus far:

Tristan - GM Command/ExPropellent, Gelgoog legs and shoulders, HPII, Beam Spray, Prototype Shield, Small Cannon and Beam Saber

Tremmie - GM Command/HP, Coolant Reserves, Dom Legs, small cannon, arm cannons, Beam Saber, Dom Legs

Gavenger - Dom/GM Command shoulders, Bazooka, Tomahawk

Fritz - Guncannon/Guncannon shoulder, gattling arm, ZakuII Legs

Everyones ATK, MOBILITY and DURABILITY are maxed out.

Using defensive boosts will make or break you in this game. It turns out Xamel is a lightweight. So far, Raven Gundam was probably the hardest... kind of a letdown, since I thought Devil Gundam would be harder, but DG wastes too many turns ressurecting Gundam heads.

I forget who's all piloting what right now. I usually have Tristan, Tremmie, and Aeon as my front line, and I do remember that they're piloting Zeta Gundam, Gundam Sandrock, and Gundam Mk II, respectively.

Which reminds me, eventually you'll get a Gaw and be able to fly all over the place. You'll have a mission, but ignore it for the time being. I don't remember where I found it, but somewhere you'll find a chest with 50 Sandrock datas. And Sandrock was very helpful.

Nice, right now I'm at Mr.K's hide out in the mountains, but I need to level up, nearly had my ass handed to me by Li Fang cause of her gattling punch can do 520+ damage.

I'm gonna try to get too 16 or 17 for my characters and go back into the rivine and start taking out the DA mobile suits.