Robotech and HG license debates

Whether it's true or not, I'd like to see if fans like that are still enthusiastic about these shows when there's no strings attached, like when they're not being paid to do it, have an interior motive, or have an newly acquired investment in said show. It's easy for people like Tobey to fake it since they're actors, but how about people who work behind the scenes like HG? Either they're authentic or

I genuinely doubt that Tobey Maguire is actually a fan of Robotech, particularly in light of the fact that the "news" that he was a Robotech fan came from Harmony Gold.

I think that its more likely that Mr Maguire is looking for a tax write-off for some of his money.

As we all know, Harmony Gold employees aren't exactly the most trustworthy sources of information, what with that almost Soviet-esque tendency to bury information that doesn't show them in a positive light, and occasionally "re-interpret" the facts to show themselves in a better light, like they've been doing with Shadow Chronicles.

The conduct that you are describing here is really general human nature. HG is no worse than a lot of other companies such as Disney, Macdonalds, Coca Cola etc which routinely "re-interpret" facts and events to suit themselves and their shareholders. People do the same thing as well. I don't think that there is anybody who does not do this sort of stuff. (bury info that does not show them in a positive light and re-interpret facts to suit themselves I mean)

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I have to question whether or not Tobey Maguire was/is a fan of Robotech. It might have been a coincidence that he liked it and his company is interested in the movie, but it's kind of convenient that a lot of closeted big name anime and related hobby fans in Hollywood would reveal themselves near the same time as the announcements for these live adaptations.

When you consider the fact that Tobey was born in 1975 making him 10 when RT was originally broadcast its very possible for him to become a childhood fan of Robotech. We are no doubt hearing about how a lot of these people in Hollywood are anime fans for PR, but that doesn't change the fact that numerous people in Hollywood have been genuine anime fans for years.

I also can't help but point out the absurdity of your comment "It might have been a coincidence that he liked it and his company is interested in the movie." Its no mere coincidence that a company would have the same interests as its founder. It also telling when Tobey has expressed interest in working behind the camera on Robotech while acting for Spiderman 4. He must be really interested in Robotech if he is willing to shuttle back and forth between two busy simultaneous movie projects.

He must be really interested in Robotech if he is willing to shuttle back and forth between two busy simultaneous movie projects.

Interested in what he'll earn if it becomes a cash cow like Transformers did, more like... <_<

I also can't help but point out the absurdity of your comment "It might have been a coincidence that he liked it and his company is interested in the movie." Its no mere coincidence that a company would have the same interests as its founder. It also telling when Tobey has expressed interest in working behind the camera on Robotech while acting for Spiderman 4. He must be really interested in Robotech if he is willing to shuttle back and forth between two busy simultaneous movie projects.

Remember, he's an actor and a businessman for this project, and it would be bad PR if didn't say something positive about it. It would suck if he used the fan angle only to drive up the interest of the fandom as a lot of people seem to be doing now. But if it was for real, more pressure on him trying to make something the fans will like (you know, a work from a professional fan for the fans). It doesn't help that longtime fans seem to be running Robotech franchise now and their work really doesn't show it. Unfortunately, not all series get good, quality treatment like Lord of the Rings and Batman by going this route, they just want to make a buck from it.

Edited by Einherjar

Interested in what he'll earn if it becomes a cash cow like Transformers did, more like... dry.gif

If that were the case then Tobey would have simply left Robotech to be done entirely by his production company and still cash in without doing any production work himself.

Does it really matter if Tobey MacGuire's really a big Robotech fan or not? Look at fanfic...all of it is produced by true, dyed-in-the-wool fans, and most of it sucks wet farts out of dead pigeons.

Everyone seems to have this notion that if the filmmaker is a "real fan," the movie they produce will please other "real fans." And it generally doesn't work that way.

To my mind, to capture what people love about the series, the LAMR (that's my acronym for the Live-Action Movie of Robotech, and I'm sticking to it!) CANNOT be a single movie. It MUST by a series of three-to-five movies. If you listen to people who like RT better than Macross, most of them will say it has an "epic scope" that Macross doesn't have (I disagree, but whatever). There is no possible way to capture that in a single film.

Which in a sense, makes the filmmakers' job easier here. The "epic scope" will take care of itself if a couple of sequels get made, so all they have to worry about is making the movie as good as possible, so that people will WANT more.

But the fans want something else, too, and it's something they won't get. They want all of the little niggling questions they have and inconsistencies they've noted to be answered and explained. And that won't happen. All of those will be ignored or written out completely.

A TV series (or a novel, or a comic book) has the luxury of being able to tell a story of almost any length. A film pretty much has to be somewhere between ninety minutes and three hours in order to get played in most movie theaters. Generally, this involves slimming down the cast and the story. Choices have to be made: you can add Character X because the fans love him, even though he's not central to the plot, or you can take the twenty minutes alloted to him, and use them instead to make the final battle longer and more exciting.

Regardless of what some nostalgic people might remember, big summer blockbusters have NEVER had heady, cerebral plots. If LAMR is going to look good, it's going to cost a lot of money. Which means it'll have to be a big summer blockbuster, aimed at those teenage boys who want a plot that serves the action, not the other way around. And having a "real fan" at the helm can screw that up. Big time.

Everyone seems to have this notion that if the filmmaker is a "real fan," the movie they produce will please other "real fans." And it generally doesn't work that way.

That is a validate point. What I was pointed trying to point out earlier about Tobey's fandom wasn't about how it would effect the quality of the LAMR per say, but how it would influence the mecha designs and the Macross look we are all speculating over. My point is that Tobey might push for the nostalgic look of the original perhaps even approach Big West if he really wants the original look. On the other hand he might want to redesign everything and start Robotech from scratch. Its his project and ultimately his call how he approaches the LAMR.

Regardless of what some nostalgic people might remember, big summer blockbusters have NEVER had heady, cerebral plots.

Exactly. Case in point the blockbuster defining films JAWs and Star Wars that showed that movie audiences want to be entertained rather then bored with artistic character driven stories.

The LAMR has blockbuster written all of it though with plenty potential for action and a simple plot.

- boy gets in cool robot

- crashes cool robot into house. Meets hot Chinese girl.

- boy falls into "friend zone" with girl, but kicks ass in combat zone with his buddy

- best bud dies, everyone cries manly tears and the boy gets a new ride

- boy realizes that old sour puss is actually hot and more fun to be around then the little brat when she leaves

- boy saves old sour puss with the cool robot he inherited

- boy and old sour puss ride into sunset the end... till they make a dam sequel

Exactly. Case in point the blockbuster defining films JAWs and Star Wars that showed that movie audiences want to be entertained rather then bored with artistic character driven stories.

That's taking it a little too far, I think. More to the point, most ADOLESCENTS and PRE-ADOLESCENTS want to entertained with explosions and derring-do. Most ADULTS still prefer artistic stories and character-driven stories (I certainly do, at least).

Could it be a failure of communication between Hollywood and the Internet? Fans are making this sound like the second coming for Robotech when at most it could turn into a blockbuster summer/winter movie. It would help if people like MacGuire didn't tease fans like that and just say they want to make a kick ass movie franchise out of it. But you're right Gubaba, people are expecting this to be an epic lasting at least 3-9 movies or something.

Could it be a failure of communication between Hollywood and the Internet? Fans are making this sound like the second coming for Robotech when at most it could turn into a blockbuster summer/winter movie. It would help if people like MacGuire didn't tease fans like that and just say they want to make a kick ass movie franchise out of it. But you're right Gubaba, people are expecting this to be an epic lasting at least 3-9 movies or something.

I suppose you could call it a failure of communication...I think it's it's just a necessary part of Hollywood marketing these days. Anytime Hollywood tackles anything that has a rabid fanbase, they have to appease the fans with statements like "the director feels a responsibility to the fans," and he "will treat the property with respect." These days, even THAT may not be enough, and so we had Zac Snyder being painted as a raving fanboy camped out on Alan Moore's Northampton doorstep. Who knows how much of it's true? And who cares? As I said, love for the source material doesn't always (or even often) make a good movie.

I suppose having no communication at all is a failure to communicate too...

Virtually all of the hype about the Robotech live-action movie is coming not from Harmony Gold or Warner Bros, but from the fans themselves. Specifically, that same small group of die-hards whose tenuous grip on reality and completely alien concepts of "fun" and "entertainment" lead them to protest that everything is ripping off Robotech and start petitions for things like the completion of Robotech II: the Sentinels and a DVD release of Robotech: the Untold Story. Those are the fans who are latching onto every piece of news about the movie, no matter how trivial, as though each one was a revelation from the mouth of God himself. It's those fans, the ones who are convinced Robotech hasn't been forgotten, that are making the live-action movie out to be some kind of great sci-fi opus that will eclipse even Star Trek and Star Wars. Fortunately, they are but a small minority.

Amusingly, the general attitude about the live-action movie on Robotech.com can be essentially summed up as "I'll believe it when you show me some proof, Mr. McKeever". There's a lot of skepticism about whether or not the live-action movie is going to happen at all. The prospect of a "reimagining" doesn't seem to have gone over well, and there's a fair bit of worry that the reimagined end result will be something aggressively unlike Robotech... a valid concern in my opinion, given what Michael Bay did to Transformers. Some fans have voiced the concern that if the live-action movie sinks without a trace, it could also derail plans for Robotech: Shadow Rising. All in all, the fanbase seems to be approaching the prospect of the live-action movie with suspicion and skepticism, rather than unabashed enthusiasm.

As far as "teasing the fans" goes, the guilty party is Harmony Gold, not Warner Bros or Maguire Entertainment. It's the guys at Robotech.com made that initial news post about how there was a rumor that Tobey Maguire was going to play Rick Hunter in a live-action Robotech movie that started it all... and they're the ones who've been keeping the few die-hards strung out by offering them tiny tidbits of information, and hiding behind the excuse of "you can tell we're working hard because we don't have anything to show for it yet".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That's taking it a little too far, I think. More to the point, most ADOLESCENTS and PRE-ADOLESCENTS want to entertained with explosions and derring-do. Most ADULTS still prefer artistic stories and character-driven stories (I certainly do, at least).

Exactly the point I made somewhere here over the last few months. Last year I had the opportunity to rewatch Star Trek: The Next Generation in its entirety and I found that I was enjoying it much more as a 30-something than I did watching it back when I was 20-something. And it was things like witty scripts and good characterisation that I was enjoying a lot more. I think that its party because as you say, as more of an adult, I now prefer more artistic and character-driven stories compared to when I was in my 20's. Its also because now I am in a demographic that ST:TNG was more intentionally targetting as well. It hasn't really been enough to improve my overall opinion of the series though because it still has a lot of weaknesses.

Another example of the same sort of thing is the old 2001/Star Wars comparison. Couldn't stand 2001 when I was younger, now I appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is, while my opinion of Star Wars is no longer as high. (Some of that is probably due to the release of the prequel trilogy though, ugh.)

Taksraven

(point me to the nursing home, sonny......)

Well, if the fanbase is happy with Bay-formers, then I say let them have their Robotech live action with all the cheese they can stand to sniff. I'm still leaning toward the idea that even if this adaptation goes through, it's going to be Battlefield Earth or Wing Commander. I wish it wasn't, but I just can't see this property being taken seriously by Hollywood. But then again, it's Robotech, so who can blame them? :)

Exactly the point I made somewhere here over the last few months. Last year I had the opportunity to rewatch Star Trek: The Next Generation in its entirety and I found that I was enjoying it much more as a 30-something than I did watching it back when I was 20-something. And it was things like witty scripts and good characterisation that I was enjoying a lot more. I think that its party because as you say, as more of an adult, I now prefer more artistic and character-driven stories compared to when I was in my 20's. Its also because now I am in a demographic that ST:TNG was more intentionally targetting as well. It hasn't really been enough to improve my overall opinion of the series though because it still has a lot of weaknesses.

Another example of the same sort of thing is the old 2001/Star Wars comparison. Couldn't stand 2001 when I was younger, now I appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is, while my opinion of Star Wars is no longer as high. (Some of that is probably due to the release of the prequel trilogy though, ugh.)

Taksraven

(point me to the nursing home, sonny......)

Hell, I remember seeing Star Wars on TV when I was 17...first time I'd seen it since I was ten or so...and laughing out loud at how bad the dialogue was. Soon after, I found Fellini and Bergman, and they became my cinematic guiding lights (which had the added effect of making later Woody Allen movies much more palatable).

But let's face it: Robotech's main audience is mostly somewhere in their 30s. And NO ONE who wants to make money is going to make a giant robot movie aimed at the 30 to 40 crowd.

Of course, there's also the problem that most remakes are trying to capitalize on name recognition; but if people don't recognize the name, what's the point?

As a fan I can make some concessions in the plot and character development for increased action and the usual "summer box office hit" formula.

I realize in 20 years most fans will appreciate better dialog over the explosions, but a more cerebral focus won't get multiple movies made for the Macross/Robotech franchise -- not in today's culture.

Give me a nice balance between staying true to the original and updating the designs in a Transformers - Terminator 2 - Aliens, heart pounding PG-13 style.

My imagination will have to add any character development they skipped to get the teeny-poppers into the theater.

For any future projects Robotech will get, would it be so hard for them to end on a good note? Honestly, cliffhangers suck! It's worse if it will take years to see what happens next or the crew has no idea where to go with the story. At least fans of the novels got some kind of ending, but this could go on forever.

Virtually all of the hype about the Robotech live-action movie is coming not from Harmony Gold or Warner Bros, but from the fans themselves.

You just hit the nail on the noggin Seto. With little concrete news for the LARM we find ourselves speculating and creating all this hype as part of our obsession with Macross. After all why would we be posting on Macross World if we had no interest in Macross? ^_^

Those are the fans who are latching onto every piece of news about the movie, no matter how trivial, as though each one was a revelation from the mouth of God himself. It's those fans, the ones who are convinced Robotech hasn't been forgotten, that are making the live-action movie out to be some kind of great sci-fi opus that will eclipse even Star Trek and Star Wars. Fortunately, they are but a small minority.

Considering that Robotech is tiny compared to other sci-fi franchises its no surprise that fans are hungry for every trivial bit of a LAM that they hope to revitalize interest in Robotech and possibly Macross by extension.

And of course RT eclipses Star Trek and Star Wars! Phasers, lightsabers, the death star, and even the Force itself is nothing compared to the the power of song! :lol: In all serious though I for one am tired of watching generic space battles that is nothing but, big ships launching projectiles and exploding that as long as I see at least one fast paced space battle with jets in gerwalk, a few itano circuses, and a Daedalus attack synced to a decent concert sequence I will be more then satisfied with the LARM. I am sure a lot of viewers who have not been exposed to Robotech/Macross would be blown away by such a different take on space battles as well.

The prospect of a "reimagining" doesn't seem to have gone over well, and there's a fair bit of worry that the reimagined end result will be something aggressively unlike Robotech... a valid concern in my opinion, given what Michael Bay did to Transformers. Some fans have voiced the concern that if the live-action movie sinks without a trace, it could also derail plans for Robotech: Shadow Rising. All in all, the fanbase seems to be approaching the prospect of the live-action movie with suspicion and skepticism, rather than unabashed enthusiasm.

Its because we associate "reimagining" to movies like Transformers and Dragonball Evolution and naturally assume the worst when noting is shown for the project. Had concept art of this reimagined look been released to fans so that WB and company would at least seem to be taking the project seriously then I am sure there would be more enthusiasm from most fans. I doubt Michael Bay himself will have any hand in the LARM, and if the rumors that Christoper Nolan wants to direct Robotech and film it in IMAX turn out to be true then the reimagining prospect seems much brighter.

Edited by Freiflug88

I realize in 20 years most fans will appreciate better dialog over the explosions, but a more cerebral focus won't get multiple movies made for the Macross/Robotech franchise -- not in today's culture.

Again, I really don't get what is so different about "today's culture." Or perhaps I just missed the oodles of layered subtext and keen attention to symbolism in such big '80s hits as "Rambo," "Crocodile Dundee," "Footloose," "Mr. Mom," and "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter." :D

Had concept art of this reimagined look been released to fans so that WB and company would at least seem to be taking the project seriously then I am sure there would be more enthusiasm from most fans.

Hang on, hang on, hang on...Isn't it a little early for that? Big studio moviemaking is an expensive, time-consuming process (regardless of the whether the movie is any good or not). They're still unsure if the movie will get made or what the story will be. Once they have that nailed, THEN they can hire people to do the concept art.

With little concrete news for the LARM we find ourselves speculating and creating all this hype as part of our obsession with Macross.

Speculating? Yes. Creating hype? No.

At no point are we promoting or extravagantly publicizing the Robotech live action movie. Since most if not all of our contributions on the subject have been negative opinions and theories ranging from "the movie will be bad" to "there is a strong chance the audience will commit suicide by gnawing through their own femoral arteries", we can't really call what we're doing "hyping" the movie with a straight face.

The people doing the hyping are the ones at Harmony Gold and on Robotech.com, who are treating every piece of information as proof that the movie will descend from the heavens in a pillar of light and lead the moviegoing public to the promised land, or at the very least be slightly more awesome than a wireless blowjob dispenser designed by Chuck Norris.

My role in the discussion has been more to do with reporting on the condition and mood of the Robotech fanbase than actually speculating about the outcome of the movie.

Considering that Robotech is tiny compared to other sci-fi franchises its no surprise that fans are hungry for every trivial bit of a LAM that they hope to revitalize interest in Robotech and possibly Macross by extension.

Honestly, the Robotech fans who are dense enough to be gabbing on about how the live action movie is going to make Robotech wildly popular don't give a tinker's damn about Macross. Like I've said before, many of those are the militantly anti-Macross folks. The general mood of the fanbase on that subject is much more apathetic, and can be summed up with "Yeah, that's what you said about Shadow Chronicles". Then again, the devout fans are the ones who thought the 90's comics that made Roy out to be some kind of hybrid of Chuck Norris, Crocodile Dundee, Rambo, and James Bond were awesome... so that ought to indicate what their opinion's worth...

One really can't blame the devout Robotech fans for being overeager for every teeny tidbit they're given... after all, it took the "creative" staff at Harmony Gold something like twenty years to overcome their trademark hamhandedness long enough to release a sequel, and that the sole merit of said sequel was that it was merely bad, rather than god awful.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Hang on, hang on, hang on...Isn't it a little early for that? Big studio moviemaking is an expensive, time-consuming process (regardless of the whether the movie is any good or not). They're still unsure if the movie will get made or what the story will be. Once they have that nailed, THEN they can hire people to do the concept art.

Not really. When there's a desire to get something done in Hollywood, it gets done.

To listen to the raving maniacs, there's all sorts of enthusiasm for the LAM. A simple release of a few pictures called conept art might have the effect of jump=starting the whole process. All I can truly say is this: The fans are the ones powering this speculation, so it remains to be seen if HG has any true intentions of putting it together.

I sincerely doubt it.

Not really. When there's a desire to get something done in Hollywood, it gets done.

To listen to the raving maniacs, there's all sorts of enthusiasm for the LAM. A simple release of a few pictures called conept art might have the effect of jump=starting the whole process. All I can truly say is this: The fans are the ones powering this speculation, so it remains to be seen if HG has any true intentions of putting it together.

I sincerely doubt it.

Now, for the Live-Action Evangelion Movie, ADV got WETA Workshops to draw up some concept art, but that's because there was no doubt about what the movie would cover.

Should the concept art be Macross or Mospeada related? Something entirely new? Until they know what they're doing with the license, there's no reason to go out hiring people to draw concept art. We're in the early stages of a process that could years or ore to complete. Let them work out a direction, THEN we'll see concept art.

Again, I really don't get what is so different about "today's culture." Or perhaps I just missed the oodles of layered subtext and keen attention to symbolism in such big '80s hits as "Rambo," "Crocodile Dundee," "Footloose," "Mr. Mom," and "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter." :D

Rose-colored glasses with a healthy dose of nostalgia. Everything was great and wonderful when that generation was the age of the prime target demographic for pop culture. Now that they aren't, some are just old, bitter and jaded :)

Honestly, the Robotech fans who are dense enough to be gabbing on about how the live action movie is going to make Robotech wildly popular don't give a tinker's damn about Macross. Like I've said before, many of those are the militantly anti-Macross folks. The general mood of the fanbase on that subject is much more apathetic, and can be summed up with "Yeah, that's what you said about Shadow Chronicles".

I think that's a fair assessment. Sentiment on the megaverse forums seems to be one of cautiously mitigated interest in the live action film, with a healthy dose of pragmatism. I think most are hoping it will be good, but there's plenty of bitterness over the circumstances.

Agreed, with the LAM, it wouldn't make sense to do any sort of concept art until the movie gets a green light. From any source I've been able to contact in the industry, they more than likely don't even have a budget, cast, or story done.

With the Shadow Rising, that seems to be a different story. Since that is HG's project, and since the direction they want to go in is pretty well known, they could've/should've done some sort of teaser art. Perhaps like concept art of new characters, or maybe concept new mecha. I just got done reading more BS from their site here: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=31

You know, it's one thing to do the PR lie and spin, but the fact that they are starting to lie about things that aren't even important are quite funny.

Kevin Wrote this: Robotech is not losing its momentum in fact the opposite is happening. Our sales (merchandise and DVD) are strong, Robotech is airing on TV around the world, we have both animated and live action projects in active development with some of the best people in the industry working on them.

It is losing momentum. ADV is losing the license for Robotech very shortly, if it hasn't already, and how old is RTSC??? With over 2 years on it's belt, it's lost about all the steam it can. I haven't ever seen sales of a DVD pick up significantly in some random manner. As for as merchandise, they have what, toynami's products? Aside from Toynami's original design stuff, the Beagle, and Megahouse stuff I wouldn't even count.

The in this comment about someone else's quote:

Someone's quote: However subsequent announcements in mid-2008 have made it clear that little-or-no progress has been made on the film, and it has been indefinitely postponed, pending developments with the live-action film.

Kevin's quote: False. "I never said that. Whoever wrote that statement knows very little of what is going on. Shadow rising is NOT canceled and NOT postponed. We NEVER said a release date (Yeah I checked) in regards to Shadow Rising. (fans did but we did not)

There has been alot of movement on animated Robotech. Can we tell you what is going on right now? No. Is this silence a normal part of the development process? Yes.

When we are ready to announce something we will announce it and not one second before.

I cant make it any clearer than that."

He did say hiatus though, which he believes is some industry standard only term that means that SR is not postponed. And just because there's no release date, I guess his play on that is that with no official release timeframe, the production is not "postponed or delayed".

Definition of hiatus from Websters 1 a: a break in or as if in a material object : gap <the hiatus between the theory and the practice of the party — J. G. Colton> b: a gap or passage in an anatomical part or organ

2 a: an interruption in time or continuity : break ; especially : a period when something (as a program or activity) is suspended or interrupted <after a 5-year hiatus from writing> b: the occurrence of two vowel sounds without pause or intervening consonantal sound

Without play on words, one can see that this is a sort of delay or postponement of sorts. As for a lot of movement, I know if they actually had something to show as a teaser, HG would've showed it already. The fact is, is that most shows or movies, when in development are in process, there isn't much shown, but what is different between SC and SR is that with SC, there was character sketches that were all over the net and magazines, thus why I believed it was being worked on. With SR, nothing. I'm not a nay-sayer, and I'm more sure about the SR coming than the movie, but (and a big but), what is drawing the rift between them and the fans is that they are perpetuating this illusion that they are doing so much, when they really aren't doing jack squat. Anything on the LAM front is WB, so, WTF is HG doing other than trying to keep the spinning wheel of their lie about SR going? Like I said, I don't doubt that SR will come or that it will eventually be worked on, but when they went as far as to have Kevin recant his statements, then make it sound like it's all the fans fault for hearing him wrong, I think that rubs a lot of fans and non-fans the wrong way. I'm telling you, their fans sound like good Catholics...(while flogging themselves)"HG, purge my iniquities for doubting you, purge my soul for the sin of curiosity! Forgive me HG, I am not worthy!!!"

They shouldn't waste money doing a robotech movie, if they can't use derivated designs from the original, and the only part that was interesting was the macross part, then what is left to be a true original robotech movie????

I think a Gundam Wing live action movie could please much more everyone. I already know an actor who could do Heero perfectly, just get the Anakin guy from starwars.

They shouldn't waste money doing a robotech movie, if they can't use derivated designs from the original, and the only part that was interesting was the macross part, then what is left to be a true original robotech movie????

I think a Gundam Wing live action movie could please much more everyone. I already know an actor who could do Heero perfectly, just get the Anakin guy from starwars.

I'm gonna pretend you're being sarcastic... ;)

a true original robotech movie?

I am nothing less than astounded that you were able to say that with a straight face.

There has never been anything original about Robotech, and I very much doubt there ever will be.

I already know an actor who could do Heero perfectly, just get the Anakin guy from starwars.

Yeah, the guy who played Mannequin Skywalker certainly is aloof and unlikeable enough to fit the bill... you might be on to something there.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

You know, it's one thing to do the PR lie and spin, but the fact that they are starting to lie about things that aren't even important are quite funny.

The people there gotta be tired with the PR guy feeding them lies all the time. Why not let some of the other crew take over PR since they can't be doing anything important now? Heck, the creative director himself should have more contact with these people. Convention panels can't be that hard to prepare year round.

Heck, the creative director himself should have more contact with these people. Convention panels can't be that hard to prepare year round.

Hey... they're not the sharpest knives in the drawer, so it probably takes them a while to think up plausible lies to appease the fans.

Shadow Rising is gonna be awesome just you wait. The Shadow Chronicles was an International Mega Hit. It gathered a ton of Anime Fan who normally spend their time gawking at Car Wrecks. When Shadow Rising returns in Six Years from now it will be a demolition derby of awesomeness.

Shadow Rising is gonna be awesome just you wait. The Shadow Chronicles was an International Mega Hit. It gathered a ton of Anime Fan who normally spend their time gawking at Car Wrecks. When Shadow Rising returns in Six Years from now it will be a demolition derby of awesomeness.

"I'll get you yet, Roy Focker!"

Yeah, the guy who played Mannequin Skywalker certainly is aloof and unlikeable enough to fit the bill

Ha! Mannequin Skywalker! Hadn't heard that one. That brightened my morning.

Someone said that 'Macross was the only good part of Robotech'. I disagree. Mospeada brought in some of my favorite mecha and characters.

And if the LAM is going to try to retell the Robotech story (instead of just the macross saga) then even some of the SC portion could be used and fixed (yes - you're gasping in shock)

If the 15th Squad pilots Macross destroids (finally giving the tomahawks and monsters more of their due screen time) as the second movie opens, we'll all get to like those characters much more. The only real part of SC that will happen in the 2nd LAM is they'll eventually develop a kick-butt version of the hover-tanks to fight the Bioroids. No other SC mecha needed -- ever. It would make more sense for ground mech pilots to move up to the hovertanks anyway.

(if you're a macross-only fan you're now shaking your head, muttering 'pure hogg-wash' or something else colorful)

And cliff-hangers are fine too provided they precede a follow up movie. The end of Empire Strikes Back was great, and don't remember feeling cheated - only anxious for the next installment . . .

I say that we start a new thread.

"What do you think has caused Roy Focker's brain to finally snap".

It would be lots of fun and we could run a poll with suggestions why his brain has snapped. (Example, "It has snapped because he has had to moderate too many crapheads in these forums" etc.....)

Taksraven