Gundam vs. Z gundam

I could have sworn this was brought up before, but a search turned up nothing, so...

Anyway, the Sony rep stopped by my store, and dropped a new demo in the PS2. In addition to a bunch of other "trendy" games like Juiced, I was suprised to find a playble demo of Gundam vs. Z Gundam! Hopefully this means the game will be out soon. According to our system, it should ship 6-28, but I don't think Bandai has announced an official date.

I think this is the one that uses the Federation vs. Zeon engine. If I'm right, I have it (Japanese version) and it isn't any better than federation vs. Zeon...I was very disappointed.

If you really want the best of gundam for PS2 so far get either encounters in space (available in US now) or Gundam Seed Never Ending Tomarrow...it rocks! I've been playing it for a while now. Best gundam game ever. Based on the same engine as Encounters but they improved the handling and added a lot of new features. Its well worth your while to get.

hey whats encounters in space like? I saw it at the BX....wondered if I should hav bought it or not. if it is anything like zeonic front UGH!!!

How about encounters in space vs fed vs dx?Which of the 2 is better?

And....why is gundam vs zeta bad?

For what it's worth, Shin, I totally disagree with jwinges. Encounters in Space was leaps and bounds better than Journey to Jaburo or Zeonic Front, but it was still a pretty ho-hum kind of game. I loved Feddie vs. Zeon, and reguard that to be the best American-released Gundam game so far.

In fact, I loved Feddie vs. Zeon so much that I imported AEUG vs. Titans. The engine was almost identical, but Z Gundam is actually my favorite Gundam series, so I was thrilled to play through the Z Gundam storyline with Z Gundam MS.

From what I can tell of the demo, Gundam vs. Z Gundam looks to be some kind of amalgamation of the other two vs. games. As jwinges said, that's not necessarily innovative per se, but I don't really feel like it has to be. The vs. games still have the best engine for Gundam games, and with tons of MS from both series, I'm more or less sold.

hey whats encounters in space like? I saw it at the BX....wondered if I should hav bought it or not. if it is anything like zeonic front UGH!!!

How about encounters in space vs fed vs dx?Which of the 2 is better?

And....why is gundam vs zeta bad?

Encounter in Space is a space-only MS combat action game from the team that developed the awful Journey to Jaburo. Thankfully the space freed them from a lousy gravity simulation engine and they made the action as fast-paced as possible. You might develop sore fingers initially but after you get a hang of it things aren't so bad.

I preferred EiS over Capcom's Fed vs Zeon. The 3D models of the mecha are bigger on the screen and more detailed. There is also more variety - even MSV designs show up in some missions. Speaking of missions, they can get quite tough and you shouldn't rely too much on your wingmen. You can play the story mode featuring an original story starring the Unit 04 and Unit 05, or play Ace Pilot mode as one of the famous Aces from the OYW (many of them being MSV Aces). There is also a "create and develop your pilot" mode that allows you to customize your pilot's skills, which you can use in a one-on-one game. Overall this game has more replay value than Fed vs Zeon, which gets old after a while.

Gundam vs Zeta is bad because they basically recycled the old game and only tweaked the engine a bit and added Zeta mecha and sold the game as new. It's an expansion disc at best. People expecting significant improvements in graphics and game engine, given how long it's been since the first game, were very disappointed.

As much fun as EiS is, I can't say that I've started playing it at 11:00pm and quit playing (simply because both I and my friend were passing out) around 8:00am, like I have with Fed v.s. Zeke. :ph34r: I can't freakin wait for Gundam v.s. Zeta.

Journey To Jaburo scared me off that franchise perminently. While Federation Vs Zeon (and in turn AEUG vs Titans) has provided many hours of enjoyment. The more directly story based campeign mode in G vs ZG is what's going to warrent that purchase....that and proving how much more superior the Zeta is to the Double Zeta.

I just recently started playing through the Titans mission campaign in AEUG vs. Titans after not touching it in over 6 months. Still a solid game in terms of gameplay, but gets boring fighting against the computer.

I played it a lot in the arcades this summer when I was in Tokyo, and even though I usually got my ass handed to the guys that would hang around all night and play it was a lot of fun. Oddly enough, I think they tweaked the speed a little bit in the PS2 conversion, probably in an effort to make it play more like a traditional console mech game, as opposed to an arcade game.

I'm not saying that Titans vs Aeug was horrible...in my opinion it was just feddie vs. zeon with some different colored suits. btw I loved Feddie vs. Zeon and played it for a solid 2-3 months.

On the other hand Gundam Seed N.E.T. made advances from encounters by adding special attacks, leveling up characters, multiple modes of gameplay, ground and underwater missions that were actually good, a store system where you purchase: mobile suits, artifacts, encyclopedias of mecha, music, and movies (some of which are new), and the most stunning gundam shorts I've ever seen. The suits you purchase can be used in the MSV mode. Plus you get both Kira and Athrun modes.

As far as graphics and innovation go Seed is the hands down winner.

I guess I'm in the minority here, I like JtJ more than EiS. I thought the rails based missions of EiS were lame, and the actual free moving space stuff was even worse. JtJ was actually fun. I just purchased a used copy of Fedvs.Zeon a few weeks ago, and while I think the game is pretty fun, more solid than either of the others, I wish there was a story mode or something. But I remember the days of the White Dingos on the Dreamcast ... now there was a gundam game ...

SEED NET is suppose to come out in August....but I guess I'm relaly the only one whose liked all the gundam titles that've been released since 2001...the only game I don't have is Zeonic Front cause I'm not much into strategic styles of combat.

But I'm diffenetly going to pre-order Gundam VS Z.Gundam at the start of June.

I'm getting Gundam vs Z Gundam for the GC sometime this week, I'll post a short review when I do a quick play through for those who are interested.

BTW, the best Gundam game so far is One Year War, with lost war chronicles trailing behind. Journey to Jaburo was an add DVD with a game attached to it, it had crap for content, they should've shoved JtJ and EiS together and sold it as 1 game. EiS had a whole lot of content, but the game system itself was really crappy.

Edited by Abombz!!

This is great but the lame thing is Bandai took out the online mode. I really would have loved to play this with some of you guys. 

Yeah....its too bad I couldn't smear you guys like bugs to a windshield in my Blue Destiny.... :rolleyes: so sad indeed hehehe.

This is great but the lame thing is Bandai took out the online mode. I really would have loved to play this with some of you guys. sad.gif

Likewise.

Is fed vs zeon worth 25$ used?

Not really. It recently dropped to $19.99 used at Gamestop. And while it is a very good game, at this point, I'd probably say just wait for Gundam Vs. Z Gundam, which will retail for $40 brand new.

BTW, the best Gundam game so far is One Year War

What makes you say that? I might consider importing that one.

I'm not saying that Titans vs Aeug was horrible...in my opinion it was just feddie vs. zeon with some different colored suits.

But that's exactly why I liked it. I already loved Feddie vs. Zeon's gameplay. And those "different colored suits" happen to my most of my favorite mobile suits (if there was only some way they could have worked the Nu Gundam and Zaku III in there...). One of the downsides to Feddie vs. Zeon is that, if you were playing the Feddie side, it seemed like you'd occasionaly use the Gundam for a tough mission, then play as GMs for most of the game while you waited for the Gundam to recover. In AEUG vs. Titans, you had a ton of variety. Like if you were the AEUG, you could use Zeta, Hyaku-Shiki, or even the original Gundam for a lot of the tough missions, and you could alternate between the GM II, Rick Dias, or Nemo for other missions. Plus, you could save your mission points to repair the hero suits that recovered to slowly.

BTW, the best Gundam game so far is One Year War

What makes you say that? I might consider importing that one.

Well, I'll let you know once I get more play time in it, but so far it feels right. It controls well, and looks good. Its like Journey to Jaburo done right and expanded 10 fold.

I guess I'm in the minority here, I like JtJ more than EiS. I thought the rails based missions of EiS were lame, and the actual free moving space stuff was even worse. JtJ was actually fun. I just purchased a used copy of Fedvs.Zeon a few weeks ago, and while I think the game is pretty fun, more solid than either of the others, I wish there was a story mode or something. But I remember the days of the White Dingos on the Dreamcast ... now there was a gundam game ...

I had forgotten about the rail based missions, which was only from the campaign mode. On replays the Custom Pilot and Ace Modes get more play time.

Lost War Chronicles was better than the White Dingo game on DC. Too bad the boneheads at Bandai US never brought it over.

What is white dingos? I've never heard of that one. I'm DL'ing chronicles now.

Also the Seed game doesn't have any rail based missions...At least I haven't found any yet. I'm probably about 1/2 to 2/3 finished with the entire game though, judging by the count of how much stuff I have left to Buy.

I've passed the Kira, Athrun, and MSV modes. But I still haven't unlocked some of the other modes.

White Dingos was the group you played in.....*digs through files in brain* MS Gundam Side Story:0079 Rise from the Ashes for DC.

The white dingo's were a GM MS squadron in Sega Dreamcast's "Gundam 0079 Side story" It was also a First person deal wher eyou piloted your GM unit inside the cockpit....personally I really liked that game but alot of people didn't.

You start off in a standard unit and by the end you get a GM Sniper II unit.

and the gattling gun gundam unit I think was RX-78-5.

Edited by Hikuro

Also the Seed game doesn't have any rail based missions...At least I haven't found any yet. I'm probably about 1/2 to 2/3 finished with the entire game though, judging by the count of how much stuff I have left to Buy.

I've passed the Kira, Athrun, and MSV modes. But I still haven't unlocked some of the other modes.

That game has so many names... it's the only Gundam "MS simulator" game for DC. It's known as Gundam Side Story, Rise from the Ashes, Where The Colony Fell... etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I hated Fed vs Zeon with a passion.... but I love this game. :o

Just out of curiousity, what makes you say that? To me, they're fairly similar. The only reason I liked AEUG vs. Titans over Fed vs. Zeon was because I liked Z Gundam better than the original.

From what I've seen, Gundam vs. Z Gundam looks like a good combo of the two, but it's starting to beg the question... why not create one massive Gundam Vs. game with this eninge (maybe an visually upgraded version for next-gen hardware) that starts at the beginning of Gundam, then runs through all of the major events and battles straight through the end of Char's Counterattack? One side would be Federation/AEUG/Londo Bell, the other would be Zeon/Titans/Axis/Neo Zeon.

I hated Fed vs Zeon with a passion.... but I love this game.  :o

Just out of curiousity, what makes you say that? To me, they're fairly similar. The only reason I liked AEUG vs. Titans over Fed vs. Zeon was because I liked Z Gundam better than the original.

From what I've seen, Gundam vs. Z Gundam looks like a good combo of the two, but it's starting to beg the question... why not create one massive Gundam Vs. game with this eninge (maybe an visually upgraded version for next-gen hardware) that starts at the beginning of Gundam, then runs through all of the major events and battles straight through the end of Char's Counterattack? One side would be Federation/AEUG/Londo Bell, the other would be Zeon/Titans/Axis/Neo Zeon.

What makes me say that? because GvZ is actually quite more refined then FvZ was. The controls feel much more responsive and the game is far more balanced now. The AI doesn't feel like complete cannon fodder either.

And, theres the UC mode that wasn't in either of the past games. Instead of putting you in the place of an annonimous pilot, you get to chose one of the ace pilots and play as them. But the real treat is how you get alternate versions of the universe. For example, you can keep Four from dying and playing an alternate version of the Z Gundam story. You can make Amuro never quite being a pilot at the end of the one year war and so on. You can even make Amuro the pilot to get the ZZ Gundam and pilot before the end of the Grips War.

GvZ is actually AvT DX that was only released in the arcades. Its basically FvZ fuzed with AvT with some major and minor improvements.

Why not make just a major game? Your guess is as good as mine since I can't seem to figure out why the hell they put in the G RX78 and the G GM but didn't add anything from the 08 MS Team or any of the other side stories. I'm guess we are getting a AUEG vz Axis next then a Londo Bell Vs Neo Zeon game.... you know how Bandai likes their cows milked dry.

I do suggest getting this game though. The GC version is perfect, I dunno about the PS2 version though.

Thanks for your thoughts, Abombz!

I do suggest getting this game though. The GC version is perfect, I dunno about the PS2 version though.

I'd thought about importing it for awhile, until Bandai actually released the cover for the US release. I preordered the US version for PS2 (my Gamecube is the first of my consoles to get sold to make room for the next gen, but my PS2 is modded, so I'm definately keeping it, regardless of whether or not I get a PS3). I hope it should be as good... IIRC, the only big difference was that the Cube version supported four player multiplayer splitscreen.

Thanks for your thoughts, Abombz!

I'd thought about importing it for awhile, until Bandai actually released the cover for the US release. I preordered the US version for PS2 (my Gamecube is the first of my consoles to get sold to make room for the next gen, but my PS2 is modded, so I'm definately keeping it, regardless of whether or not I get a PS3). I hope it should be as good... IIRC, the only big difference was that the Cube version supported four player multiplayer splitscreen.

I don't care much for the multiplayer, oh well. The GC version is pretty good considering it has a large amount of BGM and voices, you don't get the annoying distortions some games sport.

The only thing that truly annoys me if how inbalanced some of the missions can be. They can range from extremely easy to impossibly hard. Right now I'm trying to keep Lt. Moura alive in Jerid story line, and its quite impossible because the wench has a thing for getting herself tangled with the Zeta Gundam and the MkII -.-

I seriously hope the next gen is more import friendly... if I miss out on my SRW Alpha goodness, I'm going insane!

The only thing that truly annoys me if how inbalanced some of the missions can be. They can range from extremely easy to impossibly hard. Right now I'm trying to keep Lt. Moura alive in Jerid story line, and its quite impossible because the wench has a thing for getting herself tangled with the Zeta Gundam and the MkII -.-

Now I have to ask... when you play as particular pilots, are you limited in mobile suit selection? Because when I played the campaign in AEUG vs. Titans, I'd use, say, the Nemo or the Rick Dias for the average missions, and if a mission had a hard or very hard rating, then it'd be time to bust out the MkII, Z Gundam, or Hyaku Shiki.

Does this mode where you play as ace pilots replace the campaign mode from AEUG vs. Titans, or do we still have something like that?

From the demo, it seems that the Arcade mode is still present, and an amalgamation of the arcade modes from both FvsZ and AvsT.

Is ZZ only available in the "Ace" mode? Quebely was available in the demo, but not ZZ.

Now I have to ask... when you play as particular pilots, are you limited in mobile suit selection? Because when I played the campaign in AEUG vs. Titans, I'd use, say, the Nemo or the Rick Dias for the average missions, and if a mission had a hard or very hard rating, then it'd be time to bust out the MkII, Z Gundam, or Hyaku Shiki.

Does this mode where you play as ace pilots replace the campaign mode from AEUG vs. Titans, or do we still have something like that?

From the demo, it seems that the Arcade mode is still present, and an amalgamation of the arcade modes from both FvsZ and AvsT.

Is ZZ only available in the "Ace" mode? Quebely was available in the demo, but not ZZ.

Well, UC mode follows the story from the show so you can use the MSs the characters in the show could. For example, Kamille can only use the Zeta and the Mk2, Quatro can only use the red Rick Dias and the Hyaku Shiki, and so on. The thing is.... Jerids story line is kind of messed up, if you keep Lara(I think thats her name) alive, you follow a story line where Jerid is stuck with the shittiest MSs possible (Marasai, Hi-Zack and Galbady), and even if you upgrade them to lv4, you still can do much against the Zeta and the MkII at the same time while Mora is running around with a mobile armor and still gets killed easily -.-

Yeah, the campaign mode from FvZ and AvT is gone and replaced with the UC mode which, IMO, is far better. The modes available are arcade, UC mode, survival, Vs, training and collection.

The ZZ has to be unlocked to be available in the arcade mode, but Amuro has a special story line that allows you to play with the ZZ without going through the hassle of unlocking it (since it requires alot of purchasing in the collection mode)

Yeah, the campaign mode from FvZ and AvT is gone and replaced with the UC mode which, IMO, is far better.

Ah, thanks for the info. The UC mode sounds like a lot of fun, and I can't wait to play it, but I also really enjoy the campaigns in FvsZ and AvsT. So, now I know to hang on to them!

The toughest decision is deciding on whether to pick up the domestic release, or the import.

-Domestic release will support gundam games in the U.S., but most likely have shitty dub voices.

-Import is slightly more expensive, but will have the original voices...

Bah, I hate these decisions!