music

wyaxyz

i listen to everything, that's not to say that i like everything, but there are artists from every genre that i like. I mostly listen to 70's and 90's (skip 80's except 80's stuff that made its way into the 90's) and lately lots of death metal and metal core. Daysend's latest is in the player right now, Ruskii and other Aussie's should be familiar with them, Australia has a lot of great metal bands.

Is there any link to hear what these guys sound like? (Nightwish)

Here are some sample videos from their latest album Dark Passion Play:

The current lineup with vocalist Anette Olzon is somewhat of a musical cross between ABBA and Metallica. The old lineup with then-vocalist Tarja Turunen mixed classical opera with goth metal (and some Rammstein on the side). Here are some clips of the old lineup:

Nemo

Wish I Had an Angel

Creek Mary's Blood (featuring Native American musician John Two-Hawks)

They do covers too:

(Gary Moore cover)

(Pink Floyd cover)

(Megadeth cover)

Cool pics A7.. I missed them when they were here last weekend. Children of Bodom is in a few weeks and Down in November thankfully.

Thanks. I got to meet the band after the show, and they're really cool in person. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet Anette. She reportedly had a cold that night.

Look who I bumped into last month.

I don't know how these guys slipped under my metal radar, but I heard them on the radio a few days ago and was completely blown away! I immediately went out and got Inhuman Rampage and have been listening to it non-stop. I'm planning on getting the newest one as soon as I get paid this week.

I've got a wide range of tastes myself, though lately I've been preferential to Joy Division and Bessie Smith among others; I often find that the latter half of Transeurope Express by Kraftwerk meshes perfectly with the long shots featuring the Super Ostrich skipping along Saturn's rings in DYRL. Oh and by the way, my name is Mr. Troska and I'm new to the forum, I couldn't find an introduction thread so I thought I'd just jump in and see whats up.

I don't know how these guys slipped under my metal radar, but I heard them on the radio a few days ago and was completely blown away! I immediately went out and got Inhuman Rampage and have been listening to it non-stop. I'm planning on getting the newest one as soon as I get paid this week.

Dragonforce is ok. After awhile the constant shredding and same BPM for every song can get tiring.

Check out Firewind

They actually play with a bit more taste/more variety, better vocals. etc

I'm shocked right now..I actually like Metallica's new CD, Death Magnetic. I haven't liked anything by them in almost 15 years lol.

Lately I've been on a glam rock/glam metal kick and have been listening to a lot of Van Halen and Journey. Also various other bands like Ratt, Whitesnake, and Warrant, but I only really like the popular songs. I'm not really a die hard. I've always really liked Def Leppard and Poison, only lately have I expanded to the other artists.

Growing up I loved euro-synth pop like Erasure, A-ha, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, New Order, OMD, and similar groups. I'm surprised how many people say they like Joy Division but don't mention New Order.

I can't remember if I already gave my answer or not... but here we go...

I listen to:

PRIMARY LOVES:

Fire Bomber

Lyn Minmey

Spinal Tap

SECONDARY LOVES:

Poison

Europe

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi

Other:

House music...because I live in Europe...and wherever you go...it's always house music...although some variation of Jazz also pops up frequently.

Of course - it's not as good as Spinal Tap Mach II: The Rebirth Jazz Improv.

Pete

Please tell me there are old skool metallica fans HERE.

I am a fan of everything before Burton died. Jason Nutsweat can't play a bass to save his life. Burton was a major influence for me to start playing bass.

Speaking of which, I've got a nice red Yamaha 5-string that isn't getting a lot of attention lately. I need to pick it up and play more often.

I am a fan of everything before Burton died. Jason Nutsweat can't play a bass to save his life. Burton was a major influence for me to start playing bass.

Speaking of which, I've got a nice red Yamaha 5-string that isn't getting a lot of attention lately. I need to pick it up and play more often.

Ya old Metallica is still the best. Although Death Magnetic is pretty good. A step in the right direction....finally

I always found it odd that people were influenced by Burton or Newsted. Most Metallica songs, the bass is so low in the mix you can barely hear it. Same goes for new CD. And Robert Trujillo is freaking awesome. He was fantastic with Ozzy and Suicidal Tendencies.

Oh and I love world music.

Everything from traditional Indian Classical music, to all types of African music (including Alla Faka Ture -spelling?), and latin stuff from Flamingo to Cuban and Andean.

I absolutely love the Asian underground; Talvin Singh, Karsh Kale, State of Bengal, DJ Cheb I Sabha, etc...

Nusrat fateh Ali Khan is probably the most amazing male vocalist ever to live. I had the great fortune to see him live before he passed and was probably the #1 concert of my life (Tied with Bjork).

Asha Bholse is incredible. I am not too keen on the Bollywood stuff but her album with Ali Akbar Khan, "Legacy" is absolutely gorgeous and her cameo in "One Giant Leap" is awesome!

Also, I dig on the Gyuto Monks of Tibet, with that low sub bass throat chanting. And I love the higher pitched overtone harmonics of the Tuvan stlye throat chanting.

Yeah, so world music of course too.

thought you might be the best person to ask for recommendations. i'm looking for more stuff similar to the Homeworld2 soundtrack. in case you're not familiar with the PC game, here's a sound cue:

thanks

thought you might be the best person to ask for recommendations. i'm looking for more stuff similar to the Homeworld2 soundtrack. in case you're not familiar with the PC game, here's a sound cue:

thanks

I wouldn't call this World Music exactly. It is Persian maybe, but with synths and a beat.

Try Delerium (pre-1994), Synesthasia, or Noise Unit. They have some similar songs, though there music generally does not have the Middle Eastern sound.

*Edit: Also reminds me of Peter Gabriels Passion album a bit. If you havent heard it, go buy it- its brilliant.

Edited by Totoro242

• 2 weeks later...
Just bought Metallicas new album today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but waiting till monday aussie to listen to it. Heard the new single just today NICE. Please tell me there are old skool metallica fans HERE.

OR ESLE.

I like old Metallica..