Display Case Decoration

jenius

very nice pic i like what i see on the top of that shelf B)) i also hope you can take pics of the orguss toys on the bottom shelf

chris

Here's a pic of a display case I bought at Sams club. Don't pay attention to the Comics in the back ground. I eventually want to add a light and glass shelves. The bad thing is the doors kind of block the toys.

You have the taka super vf-1s that alludes me to this day. it pains me to see it. Otherwise I love what you've done. What's wrong with the comics for a backdrop? if you took them down what would you replace them with?

Edited by jenius

06.jpg

Hm, G that is somewhat true about how other environmental factors can and do contribute to detoriation. I know for cels though it is important for the cel itself to be protected if displayed with a UV coated glass. But even with it, you need to keep it in a cool dry place, away from smoke, moisture, heat, cold, dust, kids. :p

Now G, where are the rest of your cabinets or shelves with all the 1/48s? That should be quite a sight! :)

Thanks for the replies guys I'm glad you like the display. It's full of old 1/55s because at the time when I bought the display case and put my valks in it yamato and Bandai were'nt producing valkyries. It's an old collection. The most recent valk is the ostritch and the vf-1d I customized a little over a year ago. I eventually want to buy another display case and fill it with 1/48's. I do like the comics in the background of the display case but I only wish they did'nt say robotech. I also have another display case with japanese super robots from the soul of chogokin series. I'll try to take a pic of it this weekend.

lol it sucks when they are in boxes i still have alot of things i have not displayed yet as well. by the way Sithlord where do you store all of the boxes for your stuff? :ph34r:

chris

Basically what he does is flatten the boxes and stack the plastic bits together. Fold them up nicely and they can be used again in the future no problem.

REGULAR GLASS ONLY PROTECTS YOU FROM 20% of UV LIGHT AT MOST.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of sh*t.

As a skin cancer "victim" I have spent a great deal of time researching this. Standard glass does not, I repeat, DOES NOT, protect you from UV.

If you don't believe me go put a photo in the front window of your house for a month and compare it to an identical "control" photo. Or better still, go sit with the sun in your face all day. When you are rubbing solarcane and aloe vera on your sunburn just remember all that drivel about glass protecting you from UV rays.

Edited by Skull-1

Hmmm, I knew regular glass blocked some.  Matter of fact, I have argued with my gf in the car. . . she thinks we can get sunburned while driving with the wndows up!

Your gf is right and you are wrong.

Car windows block a maximum of 20% UV light.

I have the sunburns to prove it.

I even did a little unintentional experiment driving to NM from OK last year. The sun was always on the DRIVER'S side going westbound... My left arm was FRIED. Nothing else. This happened five times in a row.

Tinted the windows, repeated the process. No sunburn.

Clouds do not block UV either, so if you go out on a cloudy day you will still suffer UV damage to your skin.

I have done this experiement with a JETFIRE toy. The only areas that yellowed were those that were in direct or indirect contact with SUNLIGHT. AMBIENT sunlight was enough to turn the toy yellow. The areas hidden in shadow (parts of the wings that were folded, parts hidden by decals, insides of arms and legs, etc.) DID NOT YELLOW.

THE ONLY PARTS THAT YELLOWED WERE THOSE EXPOSED TO AMBIENT SUNLIGHT. THIS IN AN AREA OF HIGH HUMIDITY WITH MINIMAL AIR CONDITIONING USED.

Edited by Skull-1

okay, here's a diddy from Cancer Research UK:

Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass greatly reduces the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA. So, if you are driving long distances or sitting in your conservatory every day for long periods of time, with the sun beaming in on you, then you are putting yourself at risk.

SO, if you drive with one arm out the window that'll get burned to a crisp while the rest of you could potentially get tanned. I also imagine most car glass has more of a UV protection than standard glass since some windows have anti-shatter measures. You jeep owners are doomed.

From a toy perspective, I stand by my placing cardboard behind and to the side of my display case. That means the only time my toys are exposed to sunlight its ambient and generally that's once in a blue moon. Now, folding the boxes to toys does seem like an excellent background device but it would lead to the conundrum of what to do with all the stuff that was formerly in the box...

Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass greatly reduces the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA. So, if you are driving long distances or sitting in your conservatory every day for long periods of time, with the sun beaming in on you, then you are putting yourself at risk.

SO, if you drive with one arm out the window that'll get burned to a crisp while the rest of you could potentially get tanned. I also imagine most car glass has more of a UV protection than standard glass since some windows have anti-shatter measures. You jeep owners are doomed.

With the windows rolled up you will STILL get burned.

I have proven it.

UV protection for most auto glass is roughly twenty percent. No more. Window tinting, if it is good, is about 95%.

With the windows rolled up you will STILL get burned.

I have proven it.

UV protection for most auto glass is roughly twenty percent. No more. Window tinting, if it is good, is about 95%.

ANYONE who drives a car frequently has proof right in front of them that glass does not prevent damage from sunlight. Just hold your arms out in front of you and observe which is darker/redder . . . (usually the side the wheel is on) :D

I plan on getting a Ikea DETOLF display case and giving it a tint job . . .

uh, if you tinted your display case wouldn't you effectively just be creating a closet/cabinet?

Lets not equate tint to be like limo tint or the stuff you see on Rice Rockets . . . There are a variety of films that have ~95% transmittence and almost are optically transparent. My goal is to get some optically transparent tint.

This might be an option for anyone that has a collection located where windows are present. Just make sure you get the proper film if you are doing double paned windows. (They explode if you use the wrong film! :blink: )

graphic1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. You can get a window tint that is almost transparent, as he said, but still enjoy the thermal and UV protection.

If you can take your cabinet glass to a place that uses LUMAR tint film I would say that would be your best bet. DO NOT CLEAN the tint with WINDEX however, or it will discolor.

Other than that it should last forever in a display case. Just tint the INSIDE and you will be fine.

As a little update to this thread, here's what I've decided to do:

Each one of my display shelves features different variations of the same vehicle. I'm now watching the various anime on my computer. When a particularly cool scene comes on I still-frame the image and copy it to my computer. I'm going to grab two images for every vehicle. I am then going to take these images on a disk to Kinkos or one of those types of places and have them print them the size and width I desire. I will then use these makeshift posters as the backdrops to each "cubby."

The tint information definitely sounds like a worthy cause too. I will look into getting this done. It sounds like the toy would be nearly as safe within the display case as it would be if i left it in its box... and I would much rather be able to see my toys then have them hidden in storage containers.

Each one of my display shelves features different variations of the same vehicle.  I'm now watching the various anime on my computer.  When a particularly cool scene comes on I still-frame the image and copy it to my computer.  I'm going to grab two images for every vehicle.  I am then going to take these images on a disk to Kinkos or one of those types of places and have them print them the size and width I desire.  I will then use these makeshift posters as the backdrops to each "cubby."

The tint information definitely sounds like a worthy cause too.  I will look into getting this done.  It sounds like the toy would be nearly as safe within the display case as it would be if i left it in its box... and I would much rather be able to see my toys then have them hidden in storage containers.

Something like this., but only smaller. I just used my computer and printer to get the screenshots that I want and print it out. Then I use tape to hang it in the background.

post-4-1111966558_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1 VF-1 2NV

Each one of my display shelves features different variations of the same vehicle.  I'm now watching the various anime on my computer.  When a particularly cool scene comes on I still-frame the image and copy it to my computer.  I'm going to grab two images for every vehicle.  I am then going to take these images on a disk to Kinkos or one of those types of places and have them print them the size and width I desire.  I will then use these makeshift posters as the backdrops to each "cubby."

The tint information definitely sounds like a worthy cause too.  I will look into getting this done.  It sounds like the toy would be nearly as safe within the display case as it would be if i left it in its box... and I would much rather be able to see my toys then have them hidden in storage containers.

Something like this., but only smaller. I just used my computer and printer to get the screenshots that I want and print it out. Then I use tape to hang it in the background.

Nice setup! What kinda printer you using? Looks high quality.

hi very nice setup, can you take a pic of it from a distant? it looks like a very big and nice case.

chris

Wow, seeing this thread makes me look forward to moving even more! (4 weeks exactly tomorrow!) as my girlfriend and I are driving down to the Ikea store in Chicago and grabbing up some new furniture. I planned to grab one, maybe even two of those display cases as a new home for my growing collection.

My only gripe is echoing the thoughts of some others who have posted, wishing that they made wider cases.

Good idea! I think I'll try that. Maybe scan my boxes with the toys in them and then print them and hang them up.

Or even better get some animation of the hangar deck and hang that in the bg. :) Thanks for the idea.

love your alpha/legioss collection mate. :) that shadow shelf looks a tad empty, for now.

great work on the screenshots. if i were you, i'd move the mac plus valks onto a higher display shelf. they're too pretty to be sitting there on the bottom. :)

Please don't judge me for my collection, I realize it has a lot of big holes. Unfortunately I just totalled my car so my collecting is going to slow to a trickle after this month is over. I really wanted to get three shadow MPCs too for that upper left display :( Oh well, hopefully someone will get the birthday hints I've been giving! I do plan on finishing all deals I've begun though so nobody worry!

The story of the Mac + Valks being on the bottom:

I like to leave collections that are still works in progress at the top so it's easier to work with. I'm only missing one Mac+ valk and I don't think I have room for it in those tiny display areas so the Mac+ers have been pushed to the bottom for now. They actually used to be tucked away in a closet and my Mac7 toys were displayed in there... but those guys aren't nearly as pretty so now they're keeping my clothes company... I really need to get a couple more display cases but that STUPID STUPID car wreck has definitely killed that plan. A word to the wise people, CHECK YOUR TIRE TREAD. Believe me, I just nearly hydroplaned to death. The cop that found me had a good chuckle looking at my "slicks." Yes, I am an idiot.

Holy crap! I can feel the sweat and love put into this..... :ph34r:

Great job, Jenius! Now to make a macross altar complete with UNSpacy Logo drawn with goat's blood...candles, and a big photo of topless Misa. :lol:

PS: Sorry to hear about your car. No insurance?

Edited by wolfx

dude, legioss rule! You need another red legioss to display in robot mode. About your car, Check your tire tread and air pressure too. You might need to sell a few items to and get some new tires. Your car being in good shape is needed to be safe so you dont die and stuff. What car you driving?