Display Case Decoration

jenius

Okay folks, I have the Detolf (or whoever they are) display cases from IKEA. Yeah, they're tiny and all that jive but they're all I've got for now. Anyway, I've constructed a cardboard barrier to protect my toys inside from sunlight. It works great and you can't really see it unless you're looking in at my toys. My original idea was just to paint the cardboard black for a solid backdrop but now that seems lame. Does anyone have any suggestions for spicing up my backdrop? Is it possible to take DVDs to a place like Kinko and have them enlarge the cover art images to specific sizes? I was thinking something like that might work... What have you guys done?

I don't know how tacky it would look but what if you paint it silver first then black. I think it might give you a mirror effect but I am not sure. You may want to try it out on a small piece of glass first.

i have 2 cases, one is filled with gundam fix figures, and the other one has alot of big stuff in it. you can find all kind of cool posters on ebay of different anime to hang in the back that will block out sunlight, heck you can even get a big wall scroll and just hang it behind it, do you have any pics of yours and where it is located, i am assuming it is near a window or something

here's my current set-up. there's a window not too far away so I try to keep it dark. You also can't really see the sides or back of the display cases (other than by looking through the display case) so it doesn't look to garish with the cardboard as it is now. I'm just looking for something clever to put over the cardboard... I really want to set each shelf up with its own little motif so images I can create to a specific size seem the way to go...

(sorry, it's an old pic so you may have seen it before)

post-4-1110440622_thumb.jpg

I think a mirror covering the back would be nice. Get to see the reverse of the toys without handling them, the black back of a mirror would look like black cardboard from the outside.

as for images... It is far easier to scan in your own images to your pc, resize them in photoshop, and then getting kinko's to print them the size you want than it is to hand them a copyrighted product and ask them to duplicate it. Seems silly but thats how it is.

another option is go to a pet store and get those fish tank/terrarium backdrop sheets. Yeah an underwater background might not be to appropriate but the nice desert ones look pretty cool.

So, I assume then that these don't have anti-UV glass?

I was thinking of getting a display case. But I'd like anti-UV built-in. Are there any cases out there with such a thing that are affordable?

H

I was thinking of getting a display case. But I'd like anti-UV built-in. Are there any cases out there with such a thing that are affordable?

H

even a plain old window pane blocks most UV rays, the whole UV protected glass is a total sham IMO.

say you spent a bunch of money on some UV coated glass....now would you be willing to display your toys in direct sunlight? i doubt it and neither would i. it might help but it isn't going to prevent anything.

Old pic of my Detolfs...

Actually I just keep theagainst the wall and the window closed, and open it If I want to check my toys....

awsesome pics B)) , yea a mirror would look great to.

I was thinking of getting a display case.  But I'd like anti-UV built-in.  Are there any cases out there with such a thing that are affordable?

H

even a plain old window pane blocks most UV rays, the whole UV protected glass is a total sham IMO.

say you spent a bunch of money on some UV coated glass....now would you be willing to display your toys in direct sunlight? i doubt it and neither would i. it might help but it isn't going to prevent anything.

I have to agree with haterist. Even exposed to air will cause detoriation. We will have to live with it. It depends on climates, humidity, temperature. THose are other factors besides sunlight. I mean some of my old joes like snow job yellowed and I never even took him outside in the sunlight. Those combinations are factors but not one thing is direct cause.

My case came with a mirror.06.jpg

post-4-1106724145_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, I knew regular glass blocked some. Matter of fact, I have argued with my gf in the car. . . she thinks we can get sunburned while driving with the wndows up!

But I didn't realize that they blocked that much. I guess a regular case would be enough. Though, for a few dollars more, I'd be willing to pay for piece of mind.

I've always had pretty good luck with my toys not yellowing (as those who bought my Joke Machines and old Bandais will attest). But, the though of these Yamatos yellowing now that we can't get any more of them (easily). . . the horror! The horror!

H

Godzilla... there's a mirror back there????

As someone stated, the mirrors make photography pretty darn difficult. That's why I was hoping to go with some sort of artwork. Then again, maybe just a flat back or similar background is the way to go?

On the UV thing, not only does the UV hurt but I also hate the idea of how hot my guys would get if the sunlight were directly on them. I can't imagine that being good for anyone. I have my old Jetfire somewhere and that thing is super yellow and I doubt it ever made it outside but i know it spent many many hours in a very well-lit room.

On another note, I'm also of the opinion you can't get sunburnt through a window. I've believed that since like the 7th grade. Isn't your normal window something like an SPF50 sunblock?

here is mine, i just used wall scrolls and some of the gundam boxes, since they are against walls and away from windows i do not mind,

pardon the mess

another, right now i am overhauling my room with my collection, so everything is a mess. i am also planning on getting some other case, by the way toonz i like the other cabinet you have, can you tell me the name, it is the one with the binaltech in it.

here is mine, i just used wall scrolls and some of the gundam boxes, since they are against walls and away from windows i do not mind,

pardon the mess

Hmm, I was wondering if the GP03 Orchis would fit in one of those display cases . . . Guess not.

:lol::lol::lol: not a chance with the orchis, it is way to big :p i wish i could put it in a case, to spare it getting dust on it, it takes forever to dust this room, i wish i could put all of my stuff in cases like these.

chris

by the way toonz i like the other cabinet you have, can you tell me the name, it is the one with the binaltech in it.

that cabinet does not have a name, it only says Cabinet, which i have no idea why :(

i bought it at carrefour at SGD90, pretty cheap for toys :)

and WOW! your gundams! :o

Edited by Toonz

i got many more gundams than this :p i am also waiting for my saint seiya collection. so i am thinking about getting 2 or so more cases. i would love to get one like you have but i have never seen any like that around here before

chris

Woah man....Chris your display is excellent! I just love that PG Strike Gundam. I swear, one day when my Macross collecting habots are over, I gots to get me a PG. They look awesome!

Hmmm, I knew regular glass blocked some. Matter of fact, I have argued with my gf in the car. . . she thinks we can get sunburned while driving with the wndows up!

But I didn't realize that they blocked that much. I guess a regular case would be enough. Though, for a few dollars more, I'd be willing to pay for piece of mind.

I've always had pretty good luck with my toys not yellowing (as those who bought my Joke Machines and old Bandais will attest). But, the though of these Yamatos yellowing now that we can't get any more of them (easily). . . the horror! The horror!

H

Well I've done Microbiology experiments at school where we use UV light for sterilisation. for those that were uncovered, all the bacterial colonies died off. For those with glass or clear plastic, there were a few bacteria dying, but I would have said that 97% of the colonies survived. Also, normal glass bends UV rays quite a lot. Certainy some gets through, but not as much. Your toys will yellow, etc, but at a slower rate. Keep it cool and dry as well, and they will last until you become a skeleton.

thanks kensei and sithlord for the kind words, mine is still a mess because i am rebuilding this room, i hope someday soon to take pics of it when i have everything set up nicely.

chris

lol it sucks when they are in boxes i still have alot of things i have not displayed yet as well. by the way Sithlord where do you store all of the boxes for your stuff? :ph34r:

chris

yea they are very nice, they keep the dust out and they are affordable, sometimes you can find them cheaper than a 1/48 valk and they go along way as to protecting your expensive collections, i highly recomend them for collectors

chris

Godzilla... there's a mirror back there????

As someone stated, the mirrors make photography pretty darn difficult. That's why I was hoping to go with some sort of artwork. Then again, maybe just a flat back or similar background is the way to go?

On the UV thing, not only does the UV hurt but I also hate the idea of how hot my guys would get if the sunlight were directly on them. I can't imagine that being good for anyone. I have my old Jetfire somewhere and that thing is super yellow and I doubt it ever made it outside but i know it spent many many hours in a very well-lit room.

On another note, I'm also of the opinion you can't get sunburnt through a window. I've believed that since like the 7th grade. Isn't your normal window something like an SPF50 sunblock?

Yes, I have a mirror. I took the picture at an angle so the flash does not bounce back at me (i.e. camera) which completely screws up the picture. Sure there is some residual flash but still the picture does come out well.