BREAKING NEWS: Mt. St. Helens Erupts

At first many people though it would be just another steam explosion, however the plume quickly rose to about 36,000 feet and it became clear this was something more. The plume was accompanied by an earthquake of about magnitude 2.0 at 5:25 p.m.

"The ash explosion initiated and it sent ballistics scattering throughout the crater, as well as sending a plume perhaps higher than 20,000 feet," said Bill Steele, a seismologist with the University of Washington. "It did knock out a number of our seismograph stations."

An ash fall advisory has been issued for communities in southern Washington, east of the mountain. This warning has not been needed for any of the previous events.

After the first major ”event,” the mountain continued to experience minor eruptions until night fall. St Helen got the jump on people seeing as how there were very little noteworthy warning signs prior to eruption.

Edited by rdenham

It was working when I posted it. From what it says on the page, it sounds like they've been having problems with it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7132927/

MOUNT ST. HELENS, Wash. - Mount St. Helens released a towering plume of ash Tuesday, its most significant emission in months but one that seismologists did not believe heralded any major eruption.

The volcano has vented ash and steam since last fall, when thousands of small earthquakes marked a seismic reawakening of the 8,364-foot mountain.

Late afternoon television footage showed the plume billowing thousands of feet into the air, then drifting slowly to the northeast.

The ash explosion happened around 5:25 p.m., about an hour after a 2.0 magnitude quake rumbled on the east side of the mountain, said Bill Steele, coordinator of the Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network at the University of Washington.

Steele said he did not believe the explosion had increased the risk of a significant eruption and noted that recent flights over the volcano’s crater did not reveal high levels of gases.

Edited by Duke Togo

Cool pic rdenham, if it does anything more, please post more. From the 'experts' on tv, It seems they haven't got a clue about predictions. It keeps surprising them everytime it burps or blows. :blink:

You look like your in easy ash fall range if the wind carries it that way.

i can agree about that. i always belived its doing its build up stage so the next 20 years it will blow but not to the degree of the 1980s erurption

Good shot, I sadly missed it.

I was just getting home from work (a 35 mile drive) at around the time the explosion occured.

I was getting to the entry of my lot and I looked over saying "That's one big ass cloud...eh....who cares." Didn't think much of it dispite the fact alot of us in oregon have kind of gone "OMG!" everytime there was an earth quake in the beginning.

So I got home, started eating dinner and I turned my computer on to get online. And dammit my connect was pathetic! I couldn't understand why and I was getting really mad cause I would have to uninstall my DSL software and reinstall it again later.

So I ended up uninstalling it and just listened to some music and began drawing my latest project. Suddenly around 6:30 my mother calls me from the other end of the house telling me to rush over.

So I walked over to the living room and wham she told me to watch TV with her and I watched the news from KATU to KPTV for 20 minutes....finally I lost interest and went back to doing my stuff.

But it was explained why I couldn't get online very well! So many people were calling around my area that Phone service was tied up...so it explained why I couldn't get online. Not too mention we had a hard time getting to my father who is up in Spokane ready to see some ash comin his way.

From the 'experts' on tv, It seems they haven't got a clue about predictions. It keeps surprising them everytime it burps or blows. :blink:

I think this Trek thing has warped your mind, Major. They've been talking about the activity about Mt St Helens for months. Hell, didn't this all start last fall, maybe last summer? This isn't a surprise to anyone. If anything, its almost a non-event.

I think it was late september early October the geologists were saying she was showing activaty again in a big way. Then we started having the "hicups" and then they told us that lava levels were increasing in size of every minute, and that the quakes were so many every minute and so they pushed people back a fair amount of distance for percaution...then things just seldom happened and we figured "Nah its not gonna be bad afterall, atleast not like the the 80's."

So no one really cared what was actually going on and peroidically there was a news cast that they were gonna put some hitech junk up there...and then lastnight WHAM! that hitech junk is gone :p

I feel obliged to point out that the 1980 blast was as bad as it was primarily because it erupted on the side instead of out the top. If it'd gone straight up like it's supposed to, it would've been just a nifty postcard picture.

lol how were the florida stuff related to the board? they weren't but we still saw 'em :p and I already made a topic several months back about Helen's wanting to let out a nasty fart and kill us all.

Hell you know I wouldn't be surprised if this eruption turned into a post card, it was rather nice looking from all the pictures I've seen.

As of now she's just releasing a bit of steam at a time...I checked this morning and I'll check it later like I usually do since it was announced of its activaty several months ago...hell alot of us at work look maybe 3-6 times a day and sometimes even use the latest pictures as background for our desktops.

From the 'experts' on tv, It seems they haven't got a clue about predictions. It keeps surprising them everytime it burps or blows.  :blink:

I think this Trek thing has warped your mind, Major. They've been talking about the activity about Mt St Helens for months. Hell, didn't this all start last fall, maybe last summer? This isn't a surprise to anyone. If anything, its almost a non-event.

thats not quite true. they did admit everything helens did was new and is being used as a reference to future vocanos. also remember when this all started everyone was yelling ohhh 1980 explosion again run for your lives!!!.