New Robotech pics from Kunicon

So what's the (current) deal with this Robo-sequel? Is it still supposed to be an "OVA-ish" DVD release? Does this mean that the purported network deal has evaporated?

Last I heard, it is going to be an OVA DVD release followed by a network TV release.

And while I find those spandex uniforms to be bad, nothing will compare to the football pads worn by Basara.

Sorry Sean, gonna have to disagree with you. Those maybe the roots of the japanese words as used by them but in the english speaking world anime=japanese cartoons just like manga = japanese comic books. Dark Horse is having a Manga Month in the current Previews, that doesn't mean they are pushing all their titles with that promotion, just the ones they are importing from japan. The line becomes blurry when you think of Mac 0 and Blue Skies though (Wonderful Days) which we would consider animes, though they are from Korea, but retain Japanese animation production values. Then again so did the Sentinels, well it was suppose to anyway but didn't come close.

The Simpsons, Batman, hell most "American" TV cell animation is done in Japan and Korea...not to mention that even back when the original Macross TV series was in production is was not rare for Japanese animation studios to farm out parts of a production to other Japanese or Korean companies.

The Rakin & Bass produced Roudalph the red nosed Raindeer stopmotion animated Chrismas special shown every year on TV sense it was made back in the 1960's was completely made in Japan...Yet its not considered "anime".

Aeon Flux, as seen on MTV, created by Korean-American Peter Chung, was animated in Korea and is often considered "anime"...which ruffles the feathers of some "anime purists"...despite the fact the art nouveau visuals are decidedly French inspired..

To those in the animation industry, this insistance on anime purity is down right silly...Japan didn't develop thier animation style in a vaccume, anime godfather Osamu Tezuka has more then made it apparent whom his influences were.

also if you go into blockbuster or tower and ask for the anime section, they won't take you to the Disney section...

And if you go in looking for the films Mad Max, Mad Max 2 (Road Warrior), Babe, Babe 2: Pig in the City, Run Lola Run, City of Lost children, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, A fist Full of Dollars, 2001, a Clockwork Orange, Lock Stock & two Smokeing Barrels, and Snatch....you likely wont find them in the foriegn film section...despite thier Austrailian, German, French, Chinese, Italian, and English origins...hell, the American release of Mad Max was re-dubbed in English because it was thought we wouldn't be able to understand the Austrailian accents :rolleyes:

ok, here's the spandex boys and buckethead.

Why? Why did you have to show it. I havent seen the sentientels but I am glad I didnt. I unforunately own Robotech Art 3, though. As for the new Janice... I prefer the purple hair than then hooker as A1 mentioned.

Does anyone know what the intended target audience of this show is? Are they trying to recapture some of the now grown up Robotech fans, or try and get new kiddies, or both? Since it is an American show, I am presuming the latter...

This point it might too be difficult to know, I would think they want to not only grasp hold of their original targets from the 80's generation, but try to shed some what of a dark light (dark...) to a new generation.

The only real characters I guess making his comback would be Scott and the nerd :p, everyone else are pretty much Sentinel redoes like Janice and Vince.

But the voice acting probably wont be too awful, I thought the dub for Robotech back in the 80's was top knotch compared to what you get now.

do you guys think they'll have some NEW CYCLONES????????????????????????????

Yes, we need new cyclones!!! My Gakken is lonely and we need more toys! *wipes drool off chin*

Actually, they're being pretty stingy with news on this series considering they slated it to premiere this year, what's up with that? You'd think they'd be more than happy to show off a storyboard or a one minute intro clip or something.

I believe the reason behind that, if the rumor is true, is they are still in negotiations with companies/networks and are holding off until those deals are closed. My guess would be to keep outside influence from creeping in to sway the networks one way or the other... basicly a "you either like it or you don't" tatic which is smart business wise but leaves the fans wondering. Hopefully in the end everything will work out for everyone.

Edited by Backstabber