I don't understand the raw, seething hatred for Collin Farrel I've been seeing here and abroad. I'm hardly the guys biggest fan, but jeeze...what did this guy do to you people? Did he poison your dog, or molest your sister? Or is he just the "new" Tom Cruise that e-pundits will rag on?

Like Yellowlightman said, it's a freakin Michael Mann movie! Show just a smidgen of faith here!

Could you imagine Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx doing this and you not laughing your ass off?

calshoot.jpg

rules.jpgcfarrell.jpg

And yes remember, NO BELT!!! EVER!!!

miamivice34.jpgsonny7lk.jpg

Don Johnson made Crockett look laid back but slick. Farrell makes Sonny look fat and lazy if you go by that set pic. I can't believe they got that belt detail wrong. And if I'm not mistaken, he's wearing black socks too! WHAT??? Crockett doesn't wear socks at all if he can help it. I mean, that picture makes it look like Colin Farrell IS Don Johnson two decades after Miami Vice. Weathered, fat, and badly dressed, even for the 80s. It's sad when Jackie Chan looks more like Sonny Crockett than Colin Farrell.

2071.jpg

post-26-1110372499.jpg

Edited by ComicKaze

Could you imagine Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx doing this and you not laughing your ass off?

I dunno...what would you have said 20 years ago if I'd shown you this?

boyanddog5.jpg

or better still (and much more gay)

donjohnson-main.jpg

Edit: In fairness, I should have looked for some pictures of Phillip Michael Thomas....but I just couldn't be bothered to.

Edited by bsu legato

My personal reasons for not liking Colin Farrell in anything he has done:

- Tigerland. His "breakout" movie. He sucked. Anyone can play a self-centered a-hole, but it takes a great actor to play one that has depth. Colin's leading role in Tigerland was one dimensional. He nailed the a-hole part but failed at giving the character any more depth than simply being a jerk. Some critic somewhere loved the movie and thus Colin was hailed as the next big thing... meanwhile you can buy the Tigerland DVD at walmart for $2.50.

- American Outlaws. This whole movie blew and he was but one element in a giant suckball or horror.

- Hart's War. Yet another one-dimensional character in a flop movie. When you get out-acted by a very stale and almost drunk Bruno, that is a sign... Right next to Tigerland on walmart's discount rack for $2.50

- Minority Report. Yet another one dimensional jerk character. Gee, I see a pattern here. Once again, the character had no depth and came off as a simple cookie-cutter hollywood role. Totally outshined by Tom Cruise.

- Phone Booth. OK, finally we see him acting as something other than an a-hole. In this taught movie he is a ... gasp... scared a-hole! Once again his acting prowess in being a tough jerk seems to be his limits.

- Daredevil. Wow, another one-dimensional role where he plays... a jerk! Damn!

- Veronica Guiren. Background fodder and yet another one-dimensional character. His range is impressing me.

- SWAT. Could it be? Could he be playing yet another pompous, self-centered jerk character? Naaaahhh... couldn't be. He has such range.

- Alexander. Wow. The top dog of all historical megalomanical jerks. He played the roll stale, not that he had much material to work with, but his ability to transcend the "a-hole jerk" acting type that he fills out so well was once again beyond him.

I equate Colin Farrell as a very shoddy character actor. When you need someone to play the role of a jerkwad punk or a complete a-hole... you get Colin Farrell. Other character actors like Tom Cruise and George Clooney (also known for their constant casting and playing of a certain "type" of character), Colin has never shown the ability to act outside of his role. Many people (myself included) think that actors who always seem to play one type of person are in actuality "playing themselves". I've always seen Clooney as a smooth ladies man slash charismatic devil and he plays that part very well... the same could be said of Cruise (with a dash of pompous jerk). So it is not too far of a guess to call Farrell a tool in real life as well... and from what I have seen and heard about him that is about right.

Now on to the character of Sonny Crockett:

Crockett is not a jerk, but rather a hard nosed, streetwise by the book cop slash beach bum. Crockett values his honor and law above all else even though he has a laid back attitude and boxed wine tastes. He knows he is a everyman playing the role of a glitzy coke baron and he revels in it. You never see Crockett being a "jerk" or "a-hole" just because it suits his needs. The role of Sonny Crockett is going to require a massive "stepping up to the plate" by Farrell to pull off and in my opinion it is beyond him at this point. Farrell has been railroaded into Hollywood because they needed a new hunky leading man person to replace the aging Cruises and Clooneys of the world and he was the only one in line. I think of Farrell as a Vin Diesel type actor: he does one thing well and that is play jerks and a-holes that are usually self-centered, vain and egotistical. You know the type, the guys that girls fawn over and parents hate. Rebellious bad boys who almost never actually become cops.

Farrell is no Sonny Crockett.

My personal choice of modern actor for the role of Sonny Crockett is Hugh Jackman. He has the looks and the acting range. But I fear Jackman may be getting railroaded as well and we may never see another Hugh Jackman serious role again.

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you. Perhaps the problem is that I've seen so few of his movies, mainly because they're mostly so crappy. For the record though, I thought he suited the role in Minority Report, since its a cop movie staple for the "Internal Affairs" type guy to be an unlikeable weasle. And he was ok in Phone Booth and The Recruit, although he might owe the latter to the fact that he was starring oposite to Pacino. From what I'd heard, he was one of the few bright spots in Daredevil but that's obviously a subjective thing considering how abysmal the rest of that movie was supposed to be. But I'll stand by (my) Mann in the hopes that he'll wrestle a good performance out of Farrel.

And just to be contrarian, I'll say that Eric Bana would be a better Crockett than Jackman. :p

Edit: mixed up meh thespians

Edited by bsu legato

Another strange X-factor in my mind (but not as troubling as Farrell) is that Michael Mann was the EP of the original Miami Vice so this is his first time actually "directing" the characters. I am hoping on some level that we will see differences in the characters somehow...

Then again I just don't want Farrell and Foxx to be Crockett and Tubbs. They just don't fit at all... I hope this movie is so far away from Miami Vice that Mann actually wakes up and changes the names to protect the innocent.

Michael Mann is a good enough director to bring out the best in actors. I thought Jamie Foxx was a one dimensional actor too before Collateral. And I give him more props with the Collateral role than Ray, because it's basically an imitation for a trained comedian.

Russell Crowe was a thug brute before he did The Insider with Mann.

The fact is there's a lot of good actors out there that would fit the part but without Mann's direction it would end up as that same ol' a-hole role.

The sad thing is Js could be right also... but I'm definitely going to go to find out when it opens. Michael Mann is just the director I'd leap to the theatres for.

I know you're going Js... you're too curious to hold back... for crissakes, you saw SWAT! :blink::lol:

I actually saw SWAT with a bunch of ERT cop friends and we went MST3K on it... it was one of the funniest nights of movie watching I had in a while. Our row had the whole audience laughing... except for one guy who made the mistake of saying "what are you guys, cops?" only to have a flock of badges come out in the hallway after the movie. The look on that guy's face was priceless.

I also know I'll go see MV the movie... I just want to go without the airsick bag.

Don Johnson was Sonny Crockett and still is... I think that is why he stinks at everything else because we all still see him as Sonny Crockett.

Typecasting kills yet another career... too bad it didn't happen before Miami Vice II: Nash Bridges.

BTW on Colin Farrel. J's ,you know Colin is only famous because he went out on ONE date with Britney Spears and he cusses alot in interviews. Nothing to do with acting talent.

These days whenever I think back to Don Johnson..... I see that music video/single he released. It still scares me to this day. :ph34r:

You guys actually LIKE Don Johnson?  :huh:

Who???

Never heard of the guy...

....Sonny Crockett? Yeah, sure, he's up at the top just below "The man": Clint Eastwood!

Well, the real Sonny Crocket wouldn't have had his ass used and handed to him by a no name actress like Mr Johnson did..... He prolly wishes he was really Sonny.

I hate Colin Farrell.

There's no way he can pull off Crockett.

I wish they'd get a no-name to do this, that picture of Farrel is just horrible...and yeah, white see-through silk shirt? Huge bling around his neck? What is this??? He's supposed to be wearing a pink-T-shirt!

AND WHAT'S THAT? A BELT!???? NO!!!!

Damnit, this is going to be horrible.

And yes, it has to retain the 80s music if nothing, that was 1/3rd of the pie. The whole premise of Miami Vice was created on a Napkin as "MTV cops".

I also don't want to sound racist but Jamie Foxx CANNOT accurately portray Tubbs. Tubbs is "dark Italian" in nature, a Ladies man, almost a European African American, the GQ black man of the 80s. Jamie Foxx just doesn't have the look...but if they're going with Colin Farrell...might as well ruin the whole pot.

Arggggg who's that greasy filthy fella? :blink:

Yes we do like "Sonnt Crockett". He was the coolest guy in the 80's. ;)

Edited by Kin

Don Johnson made Crockett look laid back but slick. Farrell makes Sonny look fat and lazy if you go by that set pic. I can't believe they got that belt detail wrong. And if I'm not mistaken, he's wearing black socks too! WHAT??? Crockett doesn't wear socks at all if he can help it. I mean, that picture makes it look like Colin Farrell IS Don Johnson two decades after Miami Vice. Weathered, fat, and badly dressed, even for the 80s. It's sad when Jackie Chan looks more like Sonny Crockett than Colin Farrell.

Firs tof all, those pictures are of him just walking around the set... he's not even being filmed so you can't really get a "feel" for what he's going to look like on film.

Second of all,you guys are worse than anal retentive anime fans. There's no way this movie is going to be a carbon copy of the original TV show. The wardrobe of the characters is not going to be exactly the same, and they won't be able to please everyone with their actor choice because you guys are looking at the original with fond nostalgia.

As I said before, you guys find a crappy Michael Mann and THEN I'll get worried. He's easily one of the best modern directors and does cop/crime movies amazingly well, so I have some faith in him.

I have faith in Michael Mann but I have no faith in Colin Farrell.

A similair situation to this was the movie Ali: I liked Michael Mann but hated Will Smith. I went to see Ali based souly on my like of Michael Mann and thought the movie was average and Mann's worst effort to date... mostly due to Will Smith's mugging for the camera. I consider that movie (Ali) to be a prime example of Michael "failing" to get an actor to accell in a role... and especially a movie like Ali that hinged entirely on the main character and the actor that played the part it just caused a large breakdown for me. Will Smith simply was not Muhamed Ali, he was Will Smith pretending to be Ali... almost mocking him. I fear the same for Farrell and the character of Crockett.

What makes Mann's feature movies accell so well is he creates worlds and sets his characters loose in them. The audience while watching must come to terms with the world and the characters during the movie. Mann is a master of the short subject character study. The hazzard of Miami Vice the movie is that almost all of america (and definately the fans of MV) already know the world and the characters thus our expectations are very, very high. Almost impossible you might say. It's Star Wars prequel syndrome all over again just this time in loafers and driving a ferrari. The originals we love but the new offering just seems so "different", alien and "not what we imagined". It is the omnipresent danger of digging up old skeletons... when a story is started, people expect continuity. When presented with large gaps in time, large changes in context or story or re-visionings some of the fanbase will not react well to it.

If Michael Mann changed only the names and title, but kept the story, I would most likely have no problem with it as I would see it as him "making something like his seminal series Vice" but at the same time not actually being Vice and drawing all the direct comparisons.

As for Don Johnson's "music" career all I can say to that is ugh. He tried. I guess only he and Eddie Murphy know what that is like. :ph34r:

Guest Bromgrev
Just wondering what sort of pistol Farrell's Crocket will carry in the new movie? To me the guns of Miami Vice were just as big stars of the show as the actors and the cars.

I loved Crocket's choice of guns in the TV series: Bren Ten 10mm (seasons 1-2), S&W 645 .45ACP (seasons 3-4), S&W 4506 (season 5), Detonics Combat Master .45ACP as backup ankle gun (all seasons).

Graham

Of course, if you watched it on BBC in the eighties, you rarely saw those guns. Censorship (sorry, moral guardianship) at it's finest. Ah, DVDs are a fine thing ...

:lol:

Dudes what about Philp Michael Thomas??? Fu&*er hast done $hit since Vice

http://imdb.com/name/nm0859365/

He was the voice of Lance Vance in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

We talk about Don Johnson being typecast, poor PMT suffered the brunt of it.

Both Don Johnson and PMT released music albums during their stint in MV, but while PMT's music career flopped, Don's went moderately high throughout the mid-'80s. He even went on to sing a duet with Barbra Streisand.

PMT used MV to launch his own clothing line, which was successful for a while. Then he went bankrupt in the '90s, with his house foreclosed by the bank in '98.

Apparently, one reason why PMT didn't do much for a long time was because he was too busy promoting a psychic phone service.

I saw a recent interview with PMT and he still hasn't changed much, still a funny man! It's cool he did Lance in GTA VC.

Sonny and Tubbs were perfect unique duo's.. there's no other people in the world who look like them.

Edited by Kin

I saw a recent interview with PMT and he still hasn't changed much, still a funny man! It's cool he did Lance in GTA VC.

that part was made for him B))

Second of all,you guys are worse than anal retentive anime fans.

Um... considering where we are the moment, that comes as a shock does it :)

But at this stage of production all we have to go on is pictures, and they alone seem to be bucking what many view as part of the TV shows charm, the 80's style.

Heck, when show itself changed it's look towards the end it practically doomed itself.

Cyc