Star Wars Republic Commando

Since I have not seen anyone else bring this up, I have to say that this is a good game. My only complaint is that it is a bit short, but it is very nice to look at and gives you a totally different view of the Star Wars universe without the Jedi influence. Hell, your character's response to finding a lightsaber is in itself pretty funny. All in all I thought it was a good game to play and figured it would be worth a mention here to those of you SW nuts out there.

I'm playing it on Xbox. I'd say it's pretty solid, and the visor is pretty cool. I give the developers a lot of credit for making a game that's Star Wars, but gritty and militaristic at the same time. I also give them a lot of credit for creating squad mates that act as more than just cannon-fodder, and have unique personalities. I'm at a point where I get pissed when someone brings down one of my men, and I'm letting them get at the bacta before I do. Scorch is especially endearing... more so when he's playing off Sev (okay, Fixer is a little dull).

My only gripe with the game is that it's WAY too short. I picked it up Thursday night, didn't really start playing until Friday... and I've gotta be close to the end. The levels are pretty long by themselves, but it kind of sucks that there's only 3. Well... there's always hope for downloadable content.

Does the Xbox version include the videos that show the making of the game as well as that lame-ass music video? Wait until you get down to the very end when the Separatists start throwing everything at you. I've been playing the hard difficulty and it has made me want to throw my mouse at the wall. But the squad interaction is pretty cool, and damed if the game isn't like using a fire team. I've found that using squad tactics I learned in the Marines works pretty well to a certain extent, but damned if Zev doesn't like to get himself shot a lot.

beat the game today on the PC, I was very happy with it, bit too short, made commanding units very easy.

i do smell an add-on to the game... probably will not release that part of the game till after ep3, since it may coincide or show parts of the movie plot.

Does the Xbox version include the videos that show the making of the game as well as that lame-ass music video? Wait until you get down to the very end when the Separatists start throwing everything at you. I've been playing the hard difficulty and it has made me want to throw my mouse at the wall. But the squad interaction is pretty cool, and damed if the game isn't like using a fire team. I've found that using squad tactics I learned in the Marines works pretty well to a certain extent, but damned if Zev doesn't like to get himself shot a lot.

Yeah, the Xbox version has all of the same stuff. I'd say that, aside from controls and Xbox Live, the versions are probably identical.

I should beat it soon... I'm at...

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED

...Kashyyyk, just after the part where you had to use a rocket to blow up the bridge after the explosive charge was a dud.

Id love to play it but yet again another game company comes out with a game that yet again makes you need to go out and buy another new computers worth of parts to be able to play it to its utmost. I have been looking forward to this game too but the BX here doesnt have it for a console system yet. anyone want to post pics to whett my appetite for it :D

Okay finished the game. No spoilers, but I will say that even Halo 2 had a better ending...

Well, seeing as how the game is supposed to lead directly into Episode III, I would say the game's ending would piss some people off. I was a little shocked to see how it ended also, but after the release of the new movie, who knows? Maybe Delta will be used as a Jedi extermination squad?

Okay finished the game.  No spoilers, but I will say that even Halo 2 had a better ending...

Well, seeing as how the game is supposed to lead directly into Episode III, I would say the game's ending would piss some people off. I was a little shocked to see how it ended also, but after the release of the new movie, who knows? Maybe Delta will be used as a Jedi extermination squad?

How about the option to choose between the Alliance or the Empire.

I thought it was a fun game, but too short, I would have prefered a few more missions/levels besides the three main "campaigns" you are sent on. I thought the squad AI was pretty good, but there is limited replay value, and I thought the ending was interesting, hope to see more of Delta Squad in Ep3.

Okay finished the game.  No spoilers, but I will say that even Halo 2 had a better ending...

I seriously doubt that Delta will have anything to do with Episode III. I mean, Episode III was far enough along for the developers to include characters and environments from Episode III. But if you checked out the demo that came with KOTOR II, you can see that Delta was still wearing all white. The decision to give them splashes of color came almost at the end of RC's development cycle.

That said, the only way we're going to see more of Delta is in sequels, expansions/downloadable content, or novels. And from the description of the novel given in the game's instruction manual, I wonder if it picks up where RC left off? That'd be one hell of a crappy marketing gimmick, though. It'd be like playing Zelda, but the game ends right when you get to Ganon, with an ad for a book about Link's fight with Ganon at the back of the instruction manual.

In any case, if they can work on a few things (more/better levels, better squad commands, more enemy types, and tone down SBDs... they were tougher than Droidekas) , I'd definately be interested in playing a sequel.

...and tone down SBDs... they were tougher than Droidekas.

You got that right. Damned things were better shielded than the destroyers, and just would not go down. You practically had to regroup your squad and retrograde to a position where you could snipe at them from a distance or lay an ambush. This was one of the most annoying things when you got further into the game. They were everywhere. And who noticed the battle droids and slavers picking up your grenades and throwing them back at you, only to have your squad mates throwing them back?

...and tone down SBDs... they were tougher than Droidekas.

You got that right. Damned things were better shielded than the destroyers, and just would not go down. You practically had to regroup your squad and retrograde to a position where you could snipe at them from a distance or lay an ambush. This was one of the most annoying things when you got further into the game. They were everywhere. And who noticed the battle droids and slavers picking up your grenades and throwing them back at you, only to have your squad mates throwing them back?

Well, I thought that whole thing with enemies and squad mates picking up thrown grenades and lobbing them back was pretty cool, actually. I also noticed that several enemies that liked to use melee attacks would circle you once they got close instead of just standing in front of you and stabbing at you. The AI used for this game was rather clever... the only case of real stupidity that I recall was that SBDs tended to leave me alone while I placed charges on their droid dispensers... but thank god for that!

I've been playing it on the PC and love it. I like the simple squad commands. Even if you don't do commands, the squad seems to do well on their own. The levels may be a bit linear but there is a good pace of action. I hope to see more Delta Squad games. It has the perfect mix for me.

I wanna get this one.

I picked up the Clone Wars/Tetris disk yesterday at game crazy for $5!!! w000t

I also play lots of Kotor II and SW Battlefront online.. that game is my friend :D

(top post!!)

Edited by Panzer