My Take on the Yammie Launch Arm

Mechamaniac

that does look cool can you show pics of the cloth hanger and what position it is in to hold it up. also what is holding the launch arm up?

chris

that does look cool can you show pics of the cloth hanger and what position it is in to hold it up. also what is holding the launch arm up?

chris

Sure, here's a brief rundown.

I chose to bend the hangar in half, and then insert it through the eyelet at the end of the die cast (at least that's what it feels like) portion of the stand. (the long vertical piece).

Once the hangar was threaded through there, I crimped the end of it so that it would not pull through. From there on out, it was lots of bending, and rebending to get it around the backpack but between the backpack and fast packs. Then I bent the remainders forward 90 degrees, trimmed, and covered them with shrink tubing to protect the inner plastic of the valk, and to give some traction. Here's a pic...

hangar.jpg

You'll undoubtedly have noticed the piece of tape I have holding the hangar to the die cast portion of the arm. I am still tweaking the bend of the hangar, and found it worked better if the crimped portion was flush against the die cast. In my haste to mount the thing, I reached for the duct tape :p . I will refine the hangar later on.

For the mounting, I bought two sets of wreath hangers from a local craft store. They are basically two really strong magnets that will hold on to each other through glass. They were about 8 bucks per pair.

I disassembled the bottom of the launch arm base (pulled out a big two screws) and then hot glued the magnets into the hollow portion left behind.

standback.jpg

The beauty of this is that I have not permanently modified the stand in any way. I can just warm it up, pull the magnets out, and reseat the base and it will be like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

To mount it, I just put the other halves of the magnets on the inside of my display case...

standmounted.jpg

Total time spent - an hour or so.

when the 2 magnets are alligned it does not slide down? at all i expected it to start sliding down to the bottom the wieght of the 1/48 and fast pack seems like it should pull it down some.

when the 2 magnets are alligned it does not slide down? at all i expected it to start sliding down to the bottom the wieght of the 1/48 and fast pack seems like it should pull it down some.

In the first pic, where I had the base going vertically, it slid a little. However, when I moved it so that the base was horizontal, in the last pic, it does not slide at all.

These magnets are STRONG. You can barely separate them by hand if they get stuck together.

wow andy,you are a handy bugger now aren't you!!!

that is a very cool idea & seems easy.did you bend the wire in place or did you do a test fit & bend it over & over till it fit the valk?

i like how you've re-done the display cubes too.what happened to all the gundam stuff that was in there? did they find new homes? :)

I don't remember who did it before, but using a part of a coathanger, you can actually get the launch arm to hold the Valkyrie like it should be held!

Here's mine...

valkstand1.jpg

Oh, and who's that in the background? :ph34r:

HOLY COW HOW'D YOU DO THAT!!!!!! :o Good job man wish a had the balls to do that. :lol:

Oh crap...not another guys trying this out...I can't look......

Heh, nice job. Makes me feel quesy though, risking a VF-1S like that. I'll touch wood for you mate, so that it never falls. *gulp* :unsure:

wow andy,you are a handy bugger now aren't you!!!

that is a very cool idea & seems easy.did you bend the wire in place or did you do a test fit & bend it over & over till it fit the valk?

i like how you've re-done the display cubes too.what happened to all the gundam stuff that was in there? did they find new homes? :)

Hey Duane, it was a slow trial and error process of bending, fitting, bending, fitting, bending, cursing, bending, fitting, cursing, kvetching, pissing, moaning, bending etc etc...

The Gundams are there, well, they were out of the case when I took this pic, had to do a lil dusting so you guys wouldn't think I'm some kind of slob that lets my precious babies get covered in dust!.

For my version, I just bent a straight piece of coathanger wire into somewhat of an H shape, which inserts into the slidewing slot of the body.

:o Yeah, that's where I got the idea, but DUDE!! :o What kind of tools do you have that you got your coathangar all even, and at right angles and stuff?. Did you sit down with a micrometer and take measurements or something?. Mine doesn't form the H shape inside the slide wing portion, it is just two straight ends of the hangar that I covered in some shrink tubing to keep from scratching the valk, and give it some traction.

whow...waitta minute...are those Max & Miriya 1S's at the background?
and whats up with those 1S M&M's? you know, i got me a set of those too.

Yes, indeed, they are Max and Millia TV 1S variants, complete with DYRL style armor in place of the crappy TV armor, and Strike cannons too!. ;)

Wait until you guys see my next mini custom project, I should be done by the weekend, it's another bonus for the Millia fans in all of us. :ph34r:

Cambodian Tire,

If anything, do not use this near any television sets. It will distort the color permanently.

I would recomment mounting it to any that is NOT an electronic device.

- mean glass isn't magnetic?... :blink: No I know, I's just trying to be funny :unsure: Thanx for the legitimate advice - ya never know.. people might try this.....don't try this at home ;)

Oh BTW mechamaniac are the magnets strong enough to hold - hanging upsidedown as Mr March mentioned? :blink:

They should be, I haven't tried mine this way, but I would imagine it would not be a problem. The magnets are more likely to release when they can slide apart gradually like the vertical mounting I have.

These magnets are STRONG!. So strong that if you get them within an inch of each other, you better hope you don't have any digits in the way, or they will get pinched.