The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

That would be Ricky's car. The paint on his car is incredible. I couldn't find a single flaw on it. No orange peel, no drip, flawless....well, almost. He could use some wax to make the surface feel more slippery:

lg_DSC00035265May092005.jpg

lg_DSCN2630.JPG

lg_DSC00050497May092005.jpg

Edited by peter

Yeah, it was the first annual vintage Japanese car show in Vancouver, BC. It was a pretty small turnout...only about 40 or so cars. There's an annual vintage British car show that turns out about 300 cars here in Vancouver as well...that one's worth seeing.

Well, I'm sure that next year and the years to come, it will get bigger. They were shooting for anything 1980 or older and it was organized by the Datsun club of BC. Nice effort for sure and I had a good time.

Edited by peter

it was nice to see the cute old Civics, you just don't see those down here at all. the only Civics that I seem to like at all are the EF series (89 i think) and older, back when they were supposed to be commuter cars.

it was nice to see the cute old Civics, you just don't see those down here at all. the only Civics that I seem to like at all are the EF series (89 i think) and older, back when they were supposed to be commuter cars.

Yeah, even here in import-heavy California you rarely see anything old like that. Problem is a lot of those older Japanese cars were designed to be pretty disposable and got tossed aside casually once they were done with.

I really love the older Japanese coupes, the Mazda RX's and first gen Celica's took a lot of design cues from the older American muscle cars but in a compact size. Throw a nice 4AG or a 13B in and just about any of those cars will scream.

I'm a big old-school fan myself. I love the early Datsun roadster, the one that came right after the first Fairlady, I believe. I'm also a big 240Z fan. Before our meets got closed down (too many idiots started showing up and doing donuts, burnouts, etc), there was a beautiful, restored, "Daruma" Celica with a full TRD racing setup, the car was awesome.

it was nice to see the cute old Civics, you just don't see those down here at all.  the only Civics that I seem to like at all are the EF series (89 i think) and older, back when they were supposed to be commuter cars.

Yeah, even here in import-heavy California you rarely see anything old like that. Problem is a lot of those older Japanese cars were designed to be pretty disposable and got tossed aside casually once they were done with.

I really love the older Japanese coupes, the Mazda RX's and first gen Celica's took a lot of design cues from the older American muscle cars but in a compact size. Throw a nice 4AG or a 13B in and just about any of those cars will scream.

Old Celica like this one?

lg_DSCN2591.JPG

Datsun roadster:

lg_DSCN2583.JPG

lg_DSCN2585.JPG

And there was also this car at the show....a bit of an oddity there because this came from the 80's era, but still welcome! This car was all business and I would imagine not a daily driver:

lg_DSCN2593.JPG

lg_DSCN2596.JPG

it was nice to see the cute old Civics, you just don't see those down here at all.  the only Civics that I seem to like at all are the EF series (89 i think) and older, back when they were supposed to be commuter cars.

Old Celica like this one?

lg_DSCN2591.JPG

that Celica is very nice! so's the Hachi!!

Anyone have any info about Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis? Just wondering how the drag strip hooks, and how the facilities are. Any info. woud be appreciated since we are attending the World Ford Challenge there this weekend. :)

Also would like info on any neat shops in the area. (comics, anime & manga, or any hobby shops)

Thanks,

Melissa

I'm prolly too late with your answer...but I've only competed there once back in 98'...only full 1/4 mile track I ever ran on, so I'm far from an athority...just ran street bracket in my mid 13sec 77' Trans Am...hooked well, no real problems there, and the facilities were better layied out then some of the 1/8th mile tracks I'd been to...

dunno about anime shops and the like...although I live near Springfield IL, I never get much time to go down to explorer for such places in St Louis area :p

A question for Camaro owners here (late 2nd gen preferrably). I have had the fenders off my car before the question is how difficult is the plastic A/C housing to take apart to replace a blown heter core? Mine went out so im asking to see if its a weeknder or if i will need to take a week of leave to do it. Im in the uk but have access to classic industries.com for any parts i need. Just ordered a polyuretane bushing set from them. Should keep the rubber on my 275/60/R15s a little better.

I'm a former 2ed gen firebird Trans Am owner...with the fender off it ain't that bad IIRC...but mine didn't have AC :p

Anyone have any info about Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis?  Just wondering how the drag strip hooks, and how the facilities are.  Any info. woud be appreciated since we are attending the World Ford Challenge there this weekend.  :)

Also would like info on any neat shops in the area.  (comics, anime & manga, or any hobby shops)

Thanks,

Melissa

I'm prolly too late with your answer...but I've only competed there once back in 98'...only full 1/4 mile track I ever ran on, so I'm far from an athority...just ran street bracket in my mid 13sec 77' Trans Am...hooked well, no real problems there, and the facilities were better layied out then some of the 1/8th mile tracks I'd been to...

dunno about anime shops and the like...although I live near Springfield IL, I never get much time to go down to explorer for such places in St Louis area :p

A question for Camaro owners here (late 2nd gen preferrably). I have had the fenders off my car before the question is how difficult is the plastic A/C housing to take apart to replace a blown heter core? Mine went out so im asking to see if its a weeknder or if i will need to take a week of leave to do it. Im in the uk but have access to classic industries.com for any parts i need. Just ordered a polyuretane bushing set from them. Should keep the rubber on my 275/60/R15s a little better.

I'm a former 2ed gen firebird Trans Am owner...with the fender off it ain't that bad IIRC...but mine didn't have AC :p

Actually, I think this one was built up for drifting, but I know nothing about drifiting so I could be wrong. He had some kind of drift-club sticker on his car....here's a shot of his interior:

post-26-1116325083_thumb.jpg

other than the fact I like the hydraulic hand brake, I think that speedometer is being quite a bit optimistic and/or overcompensating....

Definately a nice drift car nonetheless.

other than the fact I like the hydraulic  hand brake, I think that speedometer is being quite a bit optimistic and/or overcompensating....

Isn't that in kph? 110 kph is like 60 mph.

Says MPH at the bottom of the guage.

Either way, it looks like it's just a generic guage...

other than the fact I like the hydraulic  hand brake, I think that speedometer is being quite a bit optimistic and/or overcompensating....

Isn't that in kph? 110 kph is like 60 mph.

160 kph = 100mph, 62 mph = 100kph

out of curiousity..... (see question in pic)

Looks like a neumatic (air) pressure regulator...could be for tons of stuff...airbag suspension preload, airshifted tranny, airlockable brakes, neumatic operated clutch...could also be a boost control for a turbo/supercharger...most likely though its for the suspension allowing to set different preload conditions for different tracks and such

Speaking of old Japanese cars, I saw a 1970 Skyline GT-R in Toyota's history museum in Odaiba, Tokyo. I took a particular liking to it because, I love GT-Rs and this particular one is the same age as I am. :D

Here's a picture for everyone's enjoyment.

post-26-1116727141_thumb.jpg

out of curiousity..... (see question in pic)

Looks like a neumatic (air) pressure regulator...could be for tons of stuff...airbag suspension preload, airshifted tranny, airlockable brakes, neumatic operated clutch...could also be a boost control for a turbo/supercharger...most likely though its for the suspension allowing to set different preload conditions for different tracks and such

what he said, looks like an adjustable waste gate for the turbo, thier nice, buddie of mine had one on his Esprit, you can turn it on for more boost at higher RPM's, goes good with a knock sensor light

Speaking of old Japanese cars, I saw a 1970 Skyline GT-R in Toyota's history museum in Odaiba, Tokyo. I took a particular liking to it because, I love GT-Rs and this particular one is the same age as I am. :D

Here's a picture for everyone's enjoyment.

That's awesome! I've always wanted one of those....any of these in North America?

Another nice Sylvia...I wonder if these were imported under the "motorsports use only" clause, and have to be "returned or detstroyed in 1 year's time"?

As long as theyre being used only on tracks, importing them shouldn't be much of an issue. Worth the cash to import them? No, but hey, look at all the idiots who buy Skylines. ;)

I still love old American Muscle Cars...The AMC Scrambler is actually a dream car of mine. The Type "B" version pictured below is not mine. And yes that is the factory paint scheme.

The car would run low 14s to high 13s in the quarter mile without any modifications. :rolleyes:

SC_Rambler.bmp

Here is the one I really want the Type "A", again this is the original paint scheme.

1969 is the last year this marque was produced. The name "Rambler" has bee around since 1912.

Since AMC was closing they decided to make several marks that would go down in history, this little hard-top bomb would be one of them.

Also, the Hurst Corporation collaborated with AMC to create this wonderful machine. :rolleyes:

390 cid, BW-T10 4-Speed, 3:51 Gears, Thrush mufflers...I think, I'll stop now. I'm drooling :)

SCrambler.bmp

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Now that Rambler definitely counts in the rare/originality columns. I like the Javelins, especially the late 60's models run in T/A and the Rebels like this '68. There's actually one around where I live--remember seeing it was for sale. Was in need of some TLC, but it's the only one I've ever seen in person. AMC's are definitely some rare machines.

post-26-1116982687_thumb.jpg

Here is the one I really want the Type "A", again this is the original paint scheme.

1969 is the last year this marque was produced. The name "Rambler" has bee around since 1912.

Since AMC was closing they decided to make several marks that would go down in history, this little hard-top bomb would be one of them.

Also, the Hurst Corporation collaborated with AMC to create this wonderful machine. :rolleyes:

390 cid, BW-T10 4-Speed, 3:51 Gears, Thrush mufflers...I think, I'll stop now. I'm drooling :)

I dont mean to sound mean or anything, but AMC died in the 1980's, as they sold a BUNCH of Gremlins during the 1970's when Gas Crisis I+II hit. They also produced the Javelin, and the AMX (2-seat hipo Javelin) during 1969-1971, and the AMX was a Javelin performance package from 1972-1975. AMC also bought up Willys-Overland in the early 1960's and was their last marque with AMC itself until the Chrysler Corp bought them in the late 1980's.

LOL, now if this isn't suggestive advertising, I don't know what is. Now, exactly what they could be suggesting about the Pacer is beyond me... :huh:

Hey, anybody remember those Matadors in "The Man With the Golden Gun"?

Or how about the "Levi's Edition" cars (was it the Pacer or Gremlin)? Ugh! And to think, such marketing gags like that are cyclical, i.e. "Eddie Bauer" Explorers, etc. etc....

post-26-1116985534_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Yeah, AMC sold those Eagle things back in the early 80's. Weren't they 4WD or AWD? Arguably among the first of the "crossover SUV/cars" that seem to be becoming the rage among auto makers nowadays.

Yeah, those were oddly ahead of their time. Took about 10 years for Subaru's to become popular and the rest of the industry to catch one.

They're really not bad looking cars in a rugged kind of way, which is a respectable accomplishment for American cars in the 80's. :(