The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

(shameless bump)

even though my LeBaron looks like a brick and has the aerodynamics thereof, it has three things, character, I can stuff any Chrysler V8 into it, and most important of all, potential!

Ah....the joys of turning your car over for the first time in the spring. Now I remember what I've been missing all winter long. It was the sound of my new Mac cat-back system burbling thru the tail pipes. Well rest assured that my neighbors got a good dose of that sweet rumble once I got my pony running.

Ah....the joys of turning your car over for the first time in the spring. Now I remember what I've been missing all winter long. It was the sound of my new Mac cat-back system burbling thru the tail pipes. Well rest assured that my neighbors got a good dose of that sweet rumble once I got my pony running.

Guessing you don't live on the fine pacific coast where we can drive our cars all year round. ;) But my car's been out of commision for the past week and a half, so I uncerstand (a little) of how you feel. Finally got my alternator replaced and hopefully it'll last longer than the last one I installed two years ago... <_<

as for the rich Corinthian leather, 'fraid that option was offered only on the Cordobas, not a base-model LeBaron.

as for the LeBaron...as soon as I pay it off, it's getting sold while I prepare to buy a '68-'70 Charger or Roadrunner/Satellite, for I plan on having a winged Mopar here in about two or three years! :D

as for the rich Corinthian leather, 'fraid that option was offered only on the Cordobas, not a base-model LeBaron.

Oh, okay. I thought it was available on other models.

For those who didn't get it, here's an explanation: In the 1970s, Chrysler's sales pitch was Ricardo Montalban bragging about how their cars were the most luxurious in the country. The biggest part of the gimmick was the introduction of "rich Corinthian leather," on the Cordoba. Of course, that had TV viewers asking exactly where Corinthian leather came from. Until now, that has not been answered.

Montalban continued to hawk Chryslers on TV until the mid-1980s, when the company released the TC by Maserati, which was an instant flop (people bought the Pininfarina-designed Cadillac Allante instead).

350Z is ok. However, it's a very overweight car. Drop it to the 2800lb range, and you'd have one helluva car. As it stands, it's quite good for the current market, but doesn't really do it for me as a sports car. I'd take an S2000 over one, and I'm a sworn Nissan guy.

Personally, I think "sports cars" should have only 2 or 3 seats and no more.

Any luck getting a new car?

Naw, still carless. I need to get a daily driver, thinking of a '99 Passat.

In a while, though, I'm gonna pick up an AW11 (first gen) MR2, and take it to track, autocross, and a bit of canyon driving. A Miata is also a possibility, but I'd sorta like to try out Toyota and that 4AG everyone's always talking about.

Volkswagen's are overpriced junk, just buy a cheap Camry or Accord for a nice daily. Cheaper all around, more reliable, etc.

In a while, though, I'm gonna pick up an AW11 (first gen) MR2, and take it to track, autocross, and a bit of canyon driving. A Miata is also a possibility, but I'd sorta like to try out Toyota and that 4AG everyone's always talking about.

Not to be an a-hole, but a first-gen MR2 is probably a bad idea given your history and your desire to take it 'canyon driving.' A light-weight, mid-engined car is just asking for you to crash it if you make a small mistake and if you crash that car you're toast.

The original definition of sports car was something along the lines of a two-seater drop-top, but we've since bastardized the definition. But I don't get what you're saying, the 350Z and S2000 both have two seats.

Don't even get a used Volkswagen. Right now, most used German cars (except the BMW 3-series) are less reliable than the average used American car. If you want a reliable used car for under $5K, try a '95-'99 Mazda Protege.

(I'd also say Honda Civic, but too many people in L.A. have them.)

I have no intention of running it hard in the canyons, just crusing some.

Plus, I'm actually a pretty good driver. My accidents all stem from letting my stupid friends push me into attempting stupid stuff. Not gonna happen again.

By the way, Passats are the execption to the common rule. They've very well made, and reliable, and a great value for the features. I'm not talking under 5 anyway, more like 6-8.

Edited by Commander McBride

Guessing you don't live on the fine pacific coast where we can drive our cars all year round. ;) But my car's been out of commision for the past week and a half, so I uncerstand (a little) of how you feel. Finally got my alternator replaced and hopefully it'll last longer than the last one I installed two years ago... <_<

Rub it in, why don't you? :p No, here in Manitoba we have this thing called "winter" where it gets really snowy, cold and generally unpleasant. Fortunately, this year I finally had a second car to drive while my Mustang rested peacefully underneath 2' of snow, and I had room to park them both. Now that spring is here I can finally get it back on the road.

The down side is that its going straight to the body shop to get the driver's side floor replaced. <_<

Guessing you don't live on the fine pacific coast where we can drive our cars all year round.  ;) But my car's been out of commision for the past week and a half, so I uncerstand (a little) of how you feel. Finally got my alternator replaced and hopefully it'll last longer than the last one I installed two years ago...  <_<

Rub it in, why don't you? :p No, here in Manitoba we have this thing called "winter" where it gets really snowy, cold and generally unpleasant. Fortunately, this year I finally had a second car to drive while my Mustang rested peacefully underneath 2' of snow, and I had room to park them both. Now that spring is here I can finally get it back on the road.

The down side is that its going straight to the body shop to get the driver's side floor replaced. <_<

yeah, you and your poor T-bird....what are you doing with that thing anyway?

Volkswagen's are overpriced junk, just buy a cheap Camry or Accord for a nice daily. Cheaper all around, more reliable, etc.

Not to be an a-hole, but a first-gen MR2 is probably a bad idea given your history and your desire to take it 'canyon driving.' A light-weight, mid-engined car is just asking for you to crash it if you make a small mistake and if you crash that car you're toast.

The original definition of sports car was something along the lines of a two-seater drop-top, but we've since bastardized the definition. But I don't get what you're saying, the 350Z and S2000 both have two seats.

My mistake.....I was thinking of it's twin...the G35 coupe. I like the car, don't get me wrong, but there are too many 2 dr four seater cars out there calling themselves sports cars....but yeah, you're right again...the word's been bastardized so much, I forgot the original meaning included the drop top.

My mistake.....I was thinking of it's twin...the G35 coupe. I like the car, don't get me wrong, but there are too many 2 dr four seater cars out there calling themselves sports cars....but yeah, you're right again...the word's been bastardized so much, I forgot the original meaning included the drop top.

You really think so? I think there's too many 4-door cars calling them sports cars. The WRX STi, Lancer Evolution, Dodge SRT4, the new Dodge Charger. It's taken a while to get some decent 2dr coupes back into the market after the segment all but disapeared in the late 90's, so I say teh more 2dr coupes the better.

Bigger issue for me are all the FWD cars claiming to be performance cars, but whatever.

You really think so? I think there's too many 4-door cars calling them sports cars. The WRX STi, Lancer Evolution, Dodge SRT4, the new Dodge Charger. It's taken a while to get some decent 2dr coupes back into the market after the segment all but disapeared in the late 90's, so I say teh more 2dr coupes the better.

Bigger issue for me are all the FWD cars claiming to be performance cars, but whatever.

I'm not sure I've ever heard the Evo or Impreza referred to as "Sports cars". "Performance cars", certainly- "sports saloons" seems fair as well.

I'd say FWD cars can be performance cars- but then in europe we've got a strong tradition of racing front-drivers as touring cars so it seems more normal to us.

yeah, you and your poor T-bird....what are you doing with that thing anyway?

As of now, the plan is to just drive it into the ground, which shouldn't take more than 8-10 months. I have to put a new roof on my house this summer, so hopefully by new years or even next spring I can replace it with something smaller and cheaper to gas up.

find one of the T-bird Turbo coupes, there's your power with MPG...

When were the Turbo T-Birds made? I wouldn't trust an older forced induction car for relaibility or fuel injection. If BSU wants to stick with Ford, the original Taurus SHO is probably a better choice. The engine is awesome (Yamaha-built V6) and the 4-door sedan offers some practicality. My friend just got one for free from his girlfriend's parents and it's not a bad car. Only problem is it likes to have startup issues when I'm in the car, which we attribute to it sensing how much I hate Fords and reacting accordingly. :lol:

Really, for a daily beater you can't beat a Japanese sedan. The cost, reliability and fuel efficiency of a Camry, Accord, Civic or Corolla are going to be far superior to any other type of car you're looking at. Just gotta deal with the fact they're boring. I'm about to get a hand-me-down 92 Civic 4door which I'll put into daily driver status this summer, since it has nice things like air conditioning and decent gas mileage (30+ MPG opposed to my RX7 which gets around 20MPG). Just crossed over onto 200,000miles on the original engine, clutch and transmission.

Turbo Coupes were only made in 1987 and '88. They represented the end of the line for Ford's Turbo program, and are arguably the best of the turbo fours they made. They're also just as old as my Mustang and are as rare as hens teeth around here.

To be truthful, I've been toying with the idea of a '99-01 Tiburon. My ex-gf had one, and while I hated that bitch the car was pretty nice. My only beef with it (besides the skank behind the wheel) was that it was only just comfortable for my 6'2" frame. But they're reasonably cheap, somewhat sporty and decent on gas.

To be truthful, I've been toying with the idea of a '99-01 Tiburon. My ex-gf had one, and while I hated that bitch the car was pretty nice. My only beef with it (besides the skank behind the wheel) was that it was only just comfortable for my 6'2" frame. But they're reasonably cheap, somewhat sporty and decent on gas.

Yeah, that generation Tiburon is highly underrated. Speaking of Tiburons, you should talk to KingNor, as he owns an '03 GT V6. I've test-driven one myself, and I thought it handled pretty well, despite having a rather underpowered V6.

Might also want to consider the Celica's from the same era, better looking, better resale value, more reliable a generally solid car. Ain't the best looking car, but better than the over-styled Tiburon of that generation, IMHO.

Ain't the best looking car, but better than the over-styled Tiburon of that generation, IMHO.

I think both cars were somewhat overstyled. While the Tiburon was all about swoopy curves and bulges, the Celica is knife edge sharp lines and an exaggerated, pointed nose. I also have to deduct point off of the Celica for the faux hood scoop. And I never did like those headlights on the Celica either. They were amusing on the show car, but I didn't actually expect them to carry over to the production model.

Ain't the best looking car, but better than the over-styled Tiburon of that generation, IMHO.

I think both cars were somewhat overstyled. While the Tiburon was all about swoopy curves and bulges, the Celica is knife edge sharp lines and an exaggerated, pointed nose. I also have to deduct point off of the Celica for the faux hood scoop. And I never did like those headlights on the Celica either. They were amusing on the show car, but I didn't actually expect them to carry over to the production model.

I agree. Both cars were trying too hard to be a Ferrari for 15k.

I'd argue against the Celica as well. My GF has one. I'm 6'0" and when I drove it (more than one occasion), it felt cramped and uncomfortable. Just my two cents.

I really don't see any Ferrari-styling on either of those two cars, but if you want to talk about a poor man's Ferrari, look no further than at the current-generation Tiburon, which, I'm told, was supposedly designed by Pininfarina.

post-26-1114024614_thumb.jpg

I really don't see any Ferrari-styling on either of those two cars, but if you want to talk about a poor man's Ferrari, look no further than at the current-generation Tiburon, which, I'm told, was supposedly designed by Pininfarina.

That was one of the ones I was talking about, that and the new Celica.

Personally, I thought the Celica lost its appeal when Toyota switched it to FWD in 1986. The current one looks okay, but the engine has wimpy torque.

If you want a reliable used FWD sports coupe, your best bet would be an Acura Integra. Just as long as you avoid all the aftermarket rice.

Not to mention finding an unmolsted Integra is a pain, and then you have to worry about it getting stolen...

At least it's not as commonly molested as a Civic. :p

Aside from that, I really can't recommend any other FWD coupe. The '00-'04 Mitsubishi Eclipse is notoriously unreliable, not to mention that it's very fugly. Just buy the previous-generation model instead (even though some people actually painted theirs green to look like the one seen in The Fast and the Furious).

The '03 Tiburon looks nice, but the 6MT suffers from major clutch problems. A friend of mine owns a black GT V6 with a 5AT, and so far, he claims the reliability on the car is bulletproof. Knock on wood, I guess.

Of course, you can also go all the way back and get yourself either a Mazda MX-6 or Ford Probe. Both cars are actually very reliable (especially considering the fact that they're Fords).