The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Come on Ford! If you want to get in on that showroom sportscar action (but not commit to race funding) well your old partners DeTomaso are working on a new Pantera! Lord knows you helped them out before, building one very fine sports machine...hell you could have cashed in on "cool factor" surrounding the DeTomaso Magusta spied in Kill Bill Vol2 :p

I think fine sports machine is an exaggeration when talking about DeTomaso's, they're cool cars but everything I've heard is that they're absolutely wretched to drive.

Ah, the Vector. I remember reading about the time Andre Agassi bought one and it caught on fire while he was driving it in Vegas.

I think fine sports machine is an exaggeration when talking about DeTomaso's, they're cool cars but everything I've heard is that they're absolutely wretched to drive.

Yeah, Elvis shot his when it refused to start. :p

Well, when it comes to American made supercars, my vote would have to go for the Saleen S7. Provides world-beater performance, predatory stance/looks, and distinctly American driving character (i.e. take a big-honking V8 and stuff it in a relatively small frame). I've not had a chance to see a street ver. up close, but the race cars are real beauts. Unlike the trumpeting blare of the Ferrari, or the bumblebee-stuck-stuck-in-your-ear drone of the Porsche flat-6, the Saleen has a truly distinct, almost roaring exhaust note, immediately recognizable in the paddock; the thing is a joy to hear, a snorting, bellowing bull of a car. You know it's coming long before you see it.

post-26-1112462782_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, how could I forget the Mosler MT900? Another nice looking, real screamer of a car. And all with small block Chev power no less. Another car that's seemingly met with more success overseas than here in the US. The race car's actually cheaper than the road car.

post-26-1112463105.jpg

The scary thing is how much more power they're going to be able to get out of the Cobra by getting rid of the restrictive manifolds and exhaust. Should be a very cool car.

Yep. The power gains people are going to make on those babies with simple bolt-ons will just be stupid. The service manager at my local SVT dealer was telling me about a previous gen Cobra they worked on, and by adding a new blower pulley, long tubes & a cat-back, and possibly a retune (I don't remember for certain) they wound up putting nearly 450 hp to the rear wheels! I kind of agree with pfunk that its somewhat a shame that Ford has to resort to blown motors, but when you see dyno figures like that its really hard to complain that loudly. But then again, they're making an honest 400+ hp out of the 5.0 "Cammer" crate motor so there's hope for naturally aspirated Ford motors after all.

What happens when people with more money than sense get into pissing contests...this charity car just sold at Barrett-Jackson in FL for just over 1/2 a million dollars. I mean, it's a helluva car, but REALLY...

post-26-1112502297_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Apparently not one to be outdone, some d--khead just paid $1.5 MILLION for Howard Hughes' old Buick....sheesh! I mean really, could the fuggin "Aviator" have inspired you that much? It certainly couldn't have been Leo DiCrappio--his acting sucks whale's BALLZ.

Don't get me wrong; I actually quite enjoy watching the auction on TV, sometimes the rediculous lengths some people will go to is very amusing. Proof that for a select few, the economy ain't so bad off after all...

post-26-1112504526_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Apparently not one to be outdone, some d--khead just paid $1.5 MILLION for Howard Hughes' old Buick....sheesh! I mean really, could the fuggin "Aviator" have inspired you that much? It certainly couldn't have been Leo DiCrappio--his acting sucks whale's BALLZ.

Don't get me wrong; I actually quite enjoy watching the auction on TV, sometimes the rediculous lengths some people will go to is very amusing. Proof that for a select few, the economy ain't so bad off after all...

yup, and to think that before the movie publicity, it wouldve grabbed something like $50,000

once again, here we are starting to talk about cars that nobody can afford.

How about what y'all think the best newer car of today for under $5,000? (performance and "dateability")

How about what y'all think the best newer car of today for under $5,000? (performance and "dateability")

If I had $5k right now I'd probably be spending it on a motorcycle. They really are the best performance value, but they're not cars, so....

$5k is a hard price point because their really isn't much to say for cars under that price. I'd probably go for a first generation supercharged MR2, a good amount less than $5k but with the extra cash impove the suspension and power output and you'd have a killer little car.

First gen Miata? Not much in terms of power, but they're still killer in handling.

If I was feeling sadistic, a turbo second gen RX7.

But yeah, really, I'd just buy a bike.

hmm, 5,000 is a hard number, but my dad got his '88 300Z Z31 for considerably less (2500-3500) a few years ago and it is fun to drive and easy on the eyes.

That is my vote.

I don't know what they go for these days, but I have always loved the VW Corrado. If they can be had with the nice 6 you could get in 'em for under 5000, then I would suggest that.

I don't know what they go for these days, but I have always loved the VW Corrado. If they can be had with the nice 6 you could get in 'em for under 5000, then I would suggest that.

The Corrado's are cool cars, almost as cool as the Scirroco's they replaced but they have a bunch of problems. Finding one under $5k wouldn't be hard, but you'd put in a lot more than that to get it into decent condition. They're chock full of nifty bells and whistles like automatically raising spoiler and heated seats, which break down. The car really doesn't age well, not to mention it's FWD.

My neighbor is into them, he's got two on jack stands in his garage. Gave me a ride a few years ago in his supercharged 4cyl Corrado and it was fats as hell, but nothing in the car worked.

Ok, how bout we up the price to $6,000 or $7,500....but if we can, keep it RWD or 4WD....

Funny thing about FWD, is that the older Civic hatchbacks are probably one of the best performance values out there. They can be found for relatively cheap, they're light, and they have a TON of aftermarket support (assuming you wade through all the ricey crap).

You can build competitive track, autocross, rally and drag cars with them. I still have problems with the FWD though, and that's a hard bias to get over.

it's hard to drift a FWD car, otherwise I might think about it...but over here, it's also hard to find a car with a Stick....

Some idiots throw food trays (like you'd get at McDonald's) under the rear wheels and drift like that.

Seriously.

two words, one starts with an H and is an explective, and the other starts with an N...

I'm not gonna be that crazy/stupid

$6,000 to $7,000 can buy you a lot...from old muscle cars in decent shape to year old 600cc sportbikes...aircooled VW street machines to thier watercooled brothren...you could even pick up some exotics like Lotus turbo Esprits that are in need of minor restoration...or even, if you shop carefully, an old restoreable Ferrari 308GTS/GTB.

Sure, at that price some cars are outside your grasp...For example early 70's Cudas are quite pricey, but thier twin at Dodge...the Challanger...are quite affordable, which makes little sense as both cars share platforms, engines, etc...course a simular situation exists between the first gen camaro/firebird F-bodies :p

$6,000 to $7,000 can buy you a lot...from old muscle cars in decent shape to year old 600cc sportbikes...aircooled VW street machines to thier watercooled brothren...you could even pick up some exotics like Lotus turbo Esprits that are in need of minor restoration...or even, if you shop carefully, an old restoreable Ferrari 308GTS/GTB.

Heh, a friend of mine recently had the chance to buy a Hayabusa with the 1.3l motor and NOS for around $7k. He didn't have the cash at the time, and that'd be a two-wheeled suicide anyways. Hayabusa's are about the only thing that can get the 900HP Supra boys to show some respect. I've heard there are turbo-charged 'Busas out there making around 400HP. Ridiculous.

I hadn't thought of that, but the old aircooled VWs are a good way to make lots of cheap power. Biggest problem is their age, but the aftermarket is out there and it's pretty cheap.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 308 for that cheap, and if you did, why would you buy it? A car like the 308 you're buying solely for the Ferrari name, because it isn't a very good car. Definatly the ugliest of the Ferrari's of era and pretty lackluster performance. If you want a cheap exotic, the NSX is a much better deal although they're more in the $20k range. Subsititute exotica and power for reliability and you're set.

For a homemade supercar, pick up a 3rd gen RX7 (92-95) with a busted motor for about $6k. Throw in an LS1 with the works and you'd have a smoking car. Would be able to outhandle any comporable car, solid power from the V8 and the extensive aftermarket. Not to mention you'd piss off both the import AND domestic guys. ;)

"drifting" is retarded, thats like competition for freestyle boating. I ussed to do that for fun and its called a 4 wheel slide and the only thing it acomplishes is tire wear, it like doing a burnout....I have no idea why this is so popular :rolleyes:

"drifting" is retarded, thats like competition for freestyle boating. I ussed to do that for fun and its called a 4 wheel slide and the only thing it acomplishes is tire wear, it like doing a burnout....I have no idea why this is so popular :rolleyes:

that's probably the only reason, 'cause it is fun.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 308 for that cheap, and if you did, why would you buy it? A car like the 308 you're buying solely for the Ferrari name, because it isn't a very good car. Definitely the ugliest of the Ferrari's of era and pretty lackluster performance.

The only other excuse to buy a 308 is some jabroni sporting a thick mustache drove one, and you want to be like him.

post-26-1112728637.jpg

Heh, a friend of mine recently had the chance to buy a Hayabusa with the 1.3l motor and NOS for around $7k. He didn't have the cash at the time, and that'd be a two-wheeled suicide anyways. Hayabusa's are about the only thing that can get the 900HP Supra boys to show some respect. I've heard there are turbo-charged 'Busas out there making around 400HP. Ridiculous.

Busas main strength is the drag strip...too heavy and too long a wheelbase for knee scrape track ripping...as for drag raceing, stock busas really aint that much quicker then most stock liter class sportbikes anyway, and is actualy slower then a few of them...and there is a large aftermarket industry for modding them with turbos, NOS, cams, etc...

I hadn't thought of that, but the old aircooled VWs are a good way to make lots of cheap power. Biggest problem is their age, but the aftermarket is out there and it's pretty cheap.

Not really...at least in the grand scheme of things...a typical twin webber IDA carbed, duel port headed and mild cammed 1700cc VW motor is only about 100hp...a huge increase over stock to be sure, but not even competitive in the numbers game with most stock modern cars...but 100hp in a stock bug is another story!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 308 for that cheap, and if you did, why would you buy it? A car like the 308 you're buying solely for the Ferrari name, because it isn't a very good car. Definatly the ugliest of the Ferrari's of era and pretty lackluster performance. If you want a cheap exotic, the NSX is a much better deal although they're more in the $20k range. Subsititute exotica and power for reliability and you're set.

to each his own (ugly!? Lackluster performance!? sure you ain't confuseing it with the Mondial 8?)...I actualy think the 308 is one of the best looking Ferraris ever made...and yes you can find them that cheap if you look hard enough, the prices have come down a long way from thier 90's peak...besides there are lots of other exotics in that price range (example Lambo Japla) but they arn't in show room new condition to be sure...and will likely need lots of work...

A few weeks ago I almost brought a 1983 Lotus turbo Esprit with 70,000+ miles for $4k...it ran, and could be driven, but needed restored...but the lack of info on modding these cars made me rethink the deal.

For a homemade supercar, pick up a 3rd gen RX7 (92-95) with a busted motor for about $6k. Throw in an LS1 with the works and you'd have a smoking car. Would be able to outhandle any comporable car, solid power from the V8 and the extensive aftermarket. Not to mention you'd piss off both the import AND domestic guys. 

Or stuff a small block into a Fiero...a iron block and head 383 stroker only adds some 80lbs over the stock 2.8L V-6 in the GT, bolts right up to the getrag 5-speed...

Or stuff a v-8 in a old 240-260-280Z...heck why not just mod the inline 6 instead...

Or find an old mid 1970's Chevy Monza...light weight Vega basied platform and for a while a 305 V-8 was optional.

that's probably the only reason, 'cause it is fun.

That's the absoulte truth behind why 90% of people do it, it's a helluva lot of fun. The competition aspect of it is a little stupid, but when you have anything like that, people will naturally want to have a competitive aspect, and, as there's no direct way to identify a winner, it has to be judged.

However, people really don't realize how much technique and skill is involved in drifting. Sliding a car is one thing, doing it while maintaning a proper racing line, maximizing speed and angle, controlling slide length, and getting inches from another car while doing it, is a very difficult proposition. Just look at what happens in D1. Many front-running drivers are JGTC drivers, or even rally drivers, so they're not just some guys off the street, and they still spin and crash all the time.

So, in my mind, the attraction of drifting, aside from the fun, is that it exhibits and develops extremely high-level car control skills. It's really worth it for any serious racer to do a little bit of drifting, just to improve control of the car and be able to lose minimal time in the event of a mistake or a problem with track conditions.

Then, of course, there's the bastard child of Drift and Autocross, Gymkahana. Gymkahana is essientially a form of autocross, but the courses are laid out more openly, instead of the lanes with cones on either sides (although parts have those, too), and certain corners and sections are designed to be faster when the car is slid through them. These events are run for time, just like Autocross.

Oh, and by the way, how can you think the 308/328 was ugly? IMO, it's one of the best looking Ferraris of all time. Besides, even if it's not the greatest car, it still is a Ferrari, and accomplishes the real goal of a Ferrari, picking up chicks. :D

Edited by Commander McBride

Then, of course, there's the bastard child of Drift and Autocross, Gymkahana. Gymkahana is essientially a form of autocross, but the courses are laid out more openly, instead of the lanes with cones on either sides (although parts have those, too), and certain corners and sections are designed to be faster when the car is slid through them. These events are run for time, just like Autocross.

Gymkhana predates both drifting and autocross, as autocross came out of gymkhana and drifting as a "sport" is still a pretty new idea.

The competition aspect of it is a little stupid,

thats exactly what Im talking about. My bud scott swears I invented it. I ussed to do it along the circle entrances to the freeway at about 70mph. all it does is wear out tires, oh, and I spun out once in my s10 v8, wound up in the center of the entrance loop. I have an excuse though,,, it was snowing at the time :rolleyes:

it was snowing at the time :rolleyes:

Pfft...try driving up here. I'm a "drifting champion" for 4 months out of the year. You have no idea how much we welcome dry pavement in the spring time.

we did get a close to 60" total for the year this year. I hate the white stuff,,,, I really need to get a sled (snowmobile for ya Califonians) ;)

it was snowing at the time :rolleyes:

Pfft...try driving up here. I'm a "drifting champion" for 4 months out of the year. You have no idea how much we welcome dry pavement in the spring time.

wish it would snow here in Florida, lol.