The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Not exactly auto related...but cool none the less.

I traded off my old 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 for a brand new yellow Suzuki SV650/S with a Yoshi pipe this weekend. I loved the R6, but insurance premiums were getting out of hand, and the girlfriend wasn't too fond of it. she likes the new one better, and insurance is half what I was paying for the R6. This is the first V-twin bike I've owned, not exactly in the same calibure as the R6, but fun to ride none the less.

The other bike is my old, long term, 1989 FZR-1000 project bike.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone camera pic :p

post-26-1113149773.jpg

Hey, this hillclimbing thing looks like a wicked bit of fun--especially with the weapon of choice in this vid...

http://www.gtd40club.co.uk/Videos/PTLhergyFrissell2002.wmv ^_^

here's a good one too--guy in the yellow car flat-spots the s--t outta his fronts, I bet...

http://www.gtd40club.co.uk/Videos/Isle%20O...ster%202002.wmv

Edited by reddsun1

Pontiac people at Macross World?

Wow!

I've been restoring my 1972 Trans Am(455HO/4sp)

Been doing the bodywork for the last 6 months(why I'm not here much after work)

Engine is almost complete-been finding parts for 2 years now. All I need to do is to clean up the deck and it all gets assembled-yeah :)

Wenzler Aluminum heads with shaft mount rockers

Intercooled P600 Procharger supercharger 12lbs boost

Crower billet crank

JE custom pistons

Crower 6.8 rods

etc, etc, etc

Body is SOOOO beat up-been cutting out all the rust. Found a passenger quarter panel(be here in a month) to take care of that half of the car. Need a drivers side quarter, trunk floor, and some work on the fenders and its done. Yeah-thats ALL.

My brother has a 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge/Ram Air 3 4spd :)

Shawn

Engine is almost complete-been finding parts for 2 years now. All I need to do is to clean up the deck and it all gets assembled-yeah

Crower billet crank

JE custom pistons

Crower 6.8 rods

etc, etc, etc

that thing is going to scream.

When I was looking for my early 2nd gen (had to be '70-'73), I was hoping for a '72 actually. I wanted a 455 (displacement = torque), and the '71s were too rare...

ended up that I found a '70 within driving distance that didn't need much shop-time to turn it into a daily driver, and my dad was getting a bit tired of me still "borrowing" his weekend car after 2 1/2 months.

How did you hook up the supercharger with the existing shaker assembly?

I hate body work, I wish I wasnt good at it,

That T/A is gonna cook.

you breaking it in on a dyno?, with that much engine mods, it'd be nice to know the flywheel, definatly not your SBC formula's

Lotta Pontiac guys around here,, mostlly "A" body goat guys and a few T/A's

Fellas should head up to the Woodward Cruise one year,,,, thiers an empty lot next door for camping ;)

here's her bio:

1964 chevy C-10 stepside pickup

lowered 2 inches

fuel tank removed from the cab & a fuel cell added under the bed

all trim & badges removed

polished aluminum bed floor

350 ci chevy block (early 70's cast)

double hump heads w/ stage 2 port & polish,slightly larger valves

pete jackson gear drive whining up front

edelbrock intake & carb

muncie 4 speed w/ hurst shifter custom bent to curl over my bench

headers w/ flowmaster mufflers dumping out just behind the cab

10 bolt chevy rear end w/ 4.11:1 full posi guts.

'67 camaro yellow all over w/ matched corvette rally wheels & police style centers & low profile beauty rings.

clean,simple black vinyl seat & door inserts w/ the rest of the cab interior painted the same camaro yellow.the paint quality of the cab interior is just awsome.clean,simple & astetically(sp?) pleasing.3-gauge pod mounted on th dash just behind the hurst shifter & a very nicely restored original gauge pod on the dash.

small,'85 buick steering wheel & a vintage sun tach mounted just behind.

"she may not look like much,but she's got it were it counts kid,i've made alot of "special" modifications myself"

hey shawn,

does that 455 come w/ those ram air IV heads? i'm a HUGE 70-73 T/A & formula fan.my dream car would be a '73 T/A w/ the super-duty 455 & some old school honey-comb rollers on there.........F@CK YEAH B))

Friend has a 1971 Buick GS (455 Auto)

He recently put a Vortech YS trim centrifigal on it, only 7lbs boost

560hp and 814lbs torque at the rear wheels

Says at freeways speeds he can hammer it and break the rear end free no problems.

Sick sick sick.

Got the p600 setup off a running 1973 TA 455 (stock). At 4lbs boost(belt slipped after this) it was putting out 600lbs torque on the dyno. The shaker is obviously going to live attached to me hood. I have a 2nd unit I'm using for that(same year), so the original is going to go in my closet. Damn thing is worth $600 with all the flappers and solenoids-no way I'm chopping it up!

Yes-my car has the HO(RA4 derived) heads(car is all orig EXCEPT for the block-has a 73 455 auto). Pulled the old stock engine out and sticking it in a corner for now. Until I drop it into my 96 240sx :) LOL

you know 'yellowlightman',

i really wasn't into trucks much either until this 1.i've always liked the 60-66 chevy haulers cause of the big hood & cab shape & i've always had a soft spot for classic stepside beds,but everything just came together perfect on this 1 & i love the damn thing more & more as the years go on.it's bitchin' to drive,it handles great & it'll turn you white w/ fear when you step on 'er hard.it's so light,if i put a supercharger on it,the thing would be too hot for the street then.w/ my headwork & other mods,i'm gonna guess her at about 400hp.2 hours away from there's a good dino,but my 4:11-1 posi rear doesn't make for practical long distance drives.soon as i get a trailer,i'm gonna dino it & get some solid numbers.i was considering swapping to a 3:73-1 limited slip rear for easier cruising,but evrytime my 4:11-1 hooks up when i step on it,i can't bring myself to change it.i do wanna go w/ a bigger exhaust system & maybe some sidepipes too though.i also wanna swap my old points-style ignition to an HEI unit too.i think i'm loosing too much power through that old distributor. <_<

Is it the one that he breaks the right front axle/suspension on right at the end of the chase?

Hey Glane21, I did some checking and it seems my info was a litle out of date. Since the magazine I got most of my info out of was published a few years ago some fans have done some serious research on these four cars. It turns out that the car that "rams" the Charger into the gas station, and subsequently breaks its suspension as it plows to a stop, was the same car used for most of the jumping scenes. This car was apparently "disintigrating" and was likely the one that got scrapped. The other car was used for the high speed portion of the chase and was in much better condition. there's some interesting trivia about the surviving car HERE.

Edited by bsu legato

My sister in law's girlfriend backed into our Cobra earlier today. :( It is not terribly damaged, but their truck's bumper was just high enough to crumple part of the fender and crack the side marker. I'll have to take it to the dealership tomorrow and see if the fender can be saved or if we will need another one, although the metal is so dimpled that I believe we probably will. Now I just need to find out the total to fix it, which will decide whether or not I report it to the insurance company. And no they don't have insurance, not even freaking liability. <_< I swear that if another member of my husband's family even steps foot in our yard for the next month, I'll kick his @ss.

Forgot to resize the pic...

Edited by trueblueeyes

My sister in law's girlfriend backed into our Cobra earlier today. :( It is not terribly damaged, but their truck's bumper was just high enough to crumple part of the fender and crack the side marker. I'll have to take it to the dealership tomorrow and see if the fender can be saved or if we will need another one, although the metal is so dimpled that I believe we probably will. Now I just need to find out the total to fix it, which will decide whether or not I report it to the insurance company. And no they don't have insurance, not even freaking liability. <_< I swear that if another member of my husband's family even steps foot in our yard for the next month, I'll kick his @ss.

Forgot to resize the pic...

Okay, that sucks. I don't care if they're insured or not, they should pay - not your insurance company.

I remember six years ago, when my VF-HX was just two days old, and me, my dad and my brother drove it to Vegas to meet his friend. She backed up her 4Runner out of the garage, not paying attention to my car parked by her left. She dented the right door and tore the mirror off its base. I was dead pissed. Nevertheless, my dad paid $300 for door realignment and a new mirror.

If we're talking about annoying backup stories, I'll relate one I heard today from a kid in my motorcycle maitenance program.

He was driving his motorcycle and stopped behind a large pickup at a 4-way stop. The truck decided to go into reverse and started backing up. The kid put the bike in neutral and started walking it backwards, but it wasn't fast enough and the truck's bumper caught the bike's front fender and started crushing/pushing over the bike. The kid was screaming and honking but the guy in the truck was completely unaware until a random person ran upt ot he truck and yelled at the driver to stop. Scary poo.

Wow, that was scary. At least the kid was okay.

Time for some NASCAR talk:

NASCAR fans now have someone to boo other than Jeff Gordon - Shane Hmiel, who is already NASCAR's Jackass of the Year. Last week at the Busch Series race at Bristol, Hmiel harassed every other car towards his run towards the front. Then, in front of him was Dale Jarrett, who hit the brakes to avoid a possible accident. Instead of hitting the brakes, Hmiel floored it, sending Jarrett to the wall.

While the race was under a red flag, Jarrett walked towards Hmiel's car and yelled at him. Hmiel responded with the finger, right in front of national television.

As a result of his actions, Hmiel was fined $10,000 and NASCAR docked 25 points away from his team. What pisses me off is that other drivers received harsher punishments for things that pale in comparison to what Hmiel did. For example, Kevin Harvick was suspended for one Cup race for an incident in a Truck race (he bumped Coy Gibbs after being spun out). Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was fined $25,000 and docked 25 points after simply saying "sh!t" during a victory lane interview at Talladega last year.

Another thing to point out is that Hmiel was previously put on indefinite suspension in 2003 for substance abuse. Who decided to put him back behind the wheel?

Pontiac people at Macross World?

Wow!

I've been restoring my 1972 Trans Am(455HO/4sp)

Been doing the bodywork for the last 6 months(why I'm not here much after work)

Engine is almost complete-been finding parts for 2 years now. All I need to do is to clean up the deck and it all gets assembled-yeah :)

Crower billet crank

JE custom pistons

Crower 6.8 rods

etc, etc, etc

Body is SOOOO beat up-been cutting out all the rust. Found a passenger quarter panel(be here in a month) to take care of that half of the car. Need a drivers side quarter, trunk floor, and some work on the fenders and its done. Yeah-thats ALL.

My brother has a 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge/Ram Air 3 4spd :)

Shawn

That's sounding like a wicked buildup. Are you doing all the work yourself? I would love to hear more about it and see progress pics. I know more than a few of us would be interested in seeing before and after pics.

I wish I could go crazy with my 73 Camaro. I have a million ideas on what I would like to do with it but 0 ideas on how to get the money to do it.

Says at freeways speeds he can hammer it and break the rear end free no problems.

Sick sick sick.

sounds like my buddie with his 396 and a 6/71 charger on it,,,,,PUT SOME DAMN TIRES ON THAT THING,,, instead of replacing the 14" wheels (1970 Chevelle) he decided to put a roll cage in it to keep the factory wheels,,, nothing is more dangerous then factory suspension and wheel tire combo with high HP numbers,,

,exactlly like my other freinds 69 rs/ss 600+hp smal block 4 speed, went for a ride one day,, hitting second gear, the car jumped across 2 lanes,, been trying to talk him into traction bars, ,,,,but they look ugly hanging down,,, better then recking a 35,000mile car :rolleyes:

Or that "one" incedent,, was at a car show ya know guys doing burnouts and such leaving,,,

well some crackhead in a tubbed (not done right(leafs)) late 70's z lost control and hit a 1970 LS6 car,,, the car was recentlly frame off right down to the wide ovals

I just hate when people put 500+hp engine in and dont update the rest of the car

I swear thiers a junkyard around here that has 10 twisted Fox body mustangs :rolleyes:

Just make it safe man, traction bars are ugly, but twisting the axle soo much that your switching lanes is uglier

Hey what do you guys think of the 350Z?

I probably have some kind of snobish tendancies, but when it came out I just dismissed it just because it was a Nissan and none of em have done anything for me.

The only reason I mention it now is my buddy got one and he showed it to me the other day and it seemed so awesome! It was as fast as my M3, handled great and seemed so fun. The guy loves it, but I wondered what you guys thought of it.

Sick sick sick.

sounds like my buddie with his 396 and a 6/71 charger on it,,,,,PUT SOME DAMN TIRES ON THAT THING,,, instead of replacing the 14" wheels (1970 Chevelle) he decided to put a roll cage in it to keep the factory wheels,,, nothing is more dangerous then factory suspension and wheel tire combo with high HP numbers,,

,exactlly like my other freinds 69 rs/ss 600+hp smal block 4 speed, went for a ride one day,, hitting second gear, the car jumped across 2 lanes,, been trying to talk him into traction bars, ,,,,but they look ugly hanging down,,, better then recking a 35,000mile car :rolleyes:

Or that "one" incedent,, was at a car show ya know guys doing burnouts and such leaving,,,

well some crackhead in a tubbed (not done right(leafs)) late 70's z lost control and hit a 1970 LS6 car,,, the car was recentlly frame off right down to the wide ovals

I just hate when people put 500+hp engine in and dont update the rest of the car

I swear thiers a junkyard around here that has 10 twisted Fox body mustangs :rolleyes:

Just make it safe man, traction bars are ugly, but twisting the axle soo much that your switching lanes is uglier

there's other alternatives besides traction bars, there's ladder bars and a 4-link setup.

anybody check out this month's Hot Rod? It had Big Red II on the cover.

Hey what do you guys think of the 350Z?

I probably have some kind of snobish tendancies, but when it came out I just dismissed it just because it was a Nissan and none of em have done anything for me.

The only reason I mention it now is my buddy got one and he showed it to me the other day and it seemed so awesome! It was as fast as my M3, handled great and seemed so fun. The guy loves it, but I wondered what you guys thought of it.

I dislike them.

When they came out they were about the only performance-minded Japanese import available in the States and got lots of praise from the press. Since then, with the RX8, the Lancer Evolution, the WRX STi, and domestic competitors like the new GTO... they've really lost their luster.

They've also pretty ugly and pretty much ignored what made the original 240Z so great (although to be fair, the 280ZX and 300ZX did that too).

You can say the same for extreme suspension setups and stock tires.

A guy I know has a mid-90's 3-series with coil-overs, around 400+lbs all around. It's slammed and stiff as hell, but he still "pimps" it on the stock wheels and tires. As a result, it's unstable as hell in turns.

He went to an autocross and managed to spin it, keep in mind he left traction control ON and it's an automatic. :rolleyes:

I always thought the 350Z looks alright. But Yellowlightman is definitely right about how the 350Z has lost a lot of its lustre since the "other" imports arrived on our shores. Not that 350Z owners seem to understand that, right Yellow? :lol:

I always thought the 350Z looks alright. But Yellowlightman is definitely right about how the 350Z has lost a lot of its lustre since the "other" imports arrived on our shores. Not that 350Z owners seem to understand that, right Yellow? :lol:

Hah, I wonder who you're talking about... :D

I mean, don't get me wrong, they're good cars. I just think they face a lot of competition in their price range and as a result don't look as impressive as they once did. Christ, for $30k I'd pay a little more and move up to a C5 Z06. Or pay a little less and get an RX8. Or a LanEvo. <_<

I dunno.. When I stood there looking at the thing, it looked just awesome.

I'm big time american car guy, but I like the Z,,, over a M3, I wouldnt take it though. Those M3's are pretty darn quick for what they are, havent driven a Z yet

oh and that ol Chevy truck is Very Nice,,, cant wait to get into building Hot Rods again,,,,just need to build a place to do it ;)

Got the p600 setup off a running 1973 TA 455 (stock). At 4lbs boost(belt slipped after this) it was putting out 600lbs torque on the dyno. The shaker is obviously going to live attached to me hood. I have a 2nd unit I'm using for that(same year), so the original is going to go in my closet. Damn thing is worth $600 with all the flappers and solenoids-no way I'm chopping it up!

Yes-my car has the HO(RA4 derived) heads(car is all orig EXCEPT for the block-has a 73 455 auto). Pulled the old stock engine out and sticking it in a corner for now. Until I drop it into my 96 240sx :) LOL

Shawnmobile2.JPG

Edited by ComicKaze