Anybody get their VF-0D yet?

Aurora-7

Got mine last week. It's a beauty!! Though the way the Hase modellers painted (I mean the small pics at the sides of the box) it is way awfull (a boring cobalt blue all over, no weathering at all)!! This VF deserves a wmcheng treatment to represent the original animation painting.

What about the credit card leaflet whit the Black 1/48 VF-1? Anybody knows what it says?

I bought mine just before Christmas at a local Toronto hobby shop.  A bit expensive at $60cdn, but at least there's no customs & duty.

Tell me about it! I hate that little $5 "I sat in the customs warehouse fee", on top of the GST.

Even so, I got my VF-0D from HLJ, so now it sits in the line, behind my massive Tamiya 1/32 F-16. At least I'll have time to decide which paint scheme I want to use. :D

Edited by Penguin

I hate customs and brokerage! I once had to pay $100cdn for something that was around $150! when all the taxes, duties, customs fees and brokerage fees were accounted for!!

Ohh, I'm jealous, that Tamiya F-16 is a beauty - too bad its so big, I don't have a place to put something like that - why can't all these 1/32 scale ultra-detailed kits be scaled down to 1/72 - I might go blind building them, but at least I would have space to display them afterwards. :p

I pay no heed to size of kits. I've got TWO Academy Hornets. (Thank you, half-off sales)

And I plan to get the Academy 1/32 F-16 once it comes out, as well as whichever company does an early Block 30 first... (unless it takes forever, then I'll just get the older Hase release)

I don't think I've ever seen a Macross kit for sale by me, there's only 1 shop that even sells a decent selection of Hasegawa jets period. I live in the land of Monogram and Airfix...

Edited by David Hingtgen

Ohh, I'm jealous, that Tamiya F-16 is a beauty - too bad its so big, I don't have a place to put something like that - why can't all these 1/32 scale ultra-detailed kits be scaled down to 1/72 - I might go blind building them, but at least I would have space to display them afterwards. :p

You're wiser than I. I know I've go no where to put it, but I couldn't resist and picked it up anyway. :D Luckily, the box it comes in can be reconstructed after the model is built into a case for the finished model. The tail and canopy are removable after completion, and there's even a box for all the ordnance. I'm fairly impressed with it!

On another note, has anyone tried to find the "air superiority blue" listed in the paint scheme for the VF-0D? It's listed as Gunze-Sangyo Mr Color #74, but the colour charts I've seen are missing #74 (and 74 in the acrylic is duck egg green - that ain't right). To use US Federal Standards, the colour is FS35450. Anyone have any luck finding this colour already-mixed?

35450 is d*mn close to the medium blue used on Flankers. Not many companies make Flanker colors (nobody makes true FS35450) but you can get Testors Model Master Enamel #2131, Flanker Medium Blue. If nothing else, buy it as a reference to mix your own.

Also, RLM 78 Hellblau is supposed to be close to 35450. Honestly, the color is "sky blue", for "bright blue skies" camo. Name may change over the years/nations, but it's all the same color.

PS--my list shows Gunze 74 as simply "Blue".

Dawid - Talking about Flanker Colours , Just got a old 1/72 Revell Flanker kit , with the mixing details for all sorts of colours , can you replace all those mixes with the Flanker colours from Model master ?

Flanker Pale Blue

Flanker Meduim blue

Flanker Blue/Grey

actually a 32 scale F16 isnt at all that big. now a 32 scale F15E is BIG :D if the 16 comes with markings for the 63rd FTRSQ out at Luke AFB in AZ then ill get it. im making 32 scale models of all the squadrons i have been in.

i need to get this VF-0 it is actually a different looking kit for once. how is the overall parts breakdown and detail? or do i have to wait for a buildup from WM to see how it is.

If anyone's still looking for Air Superiority Blue, Humbrol #47 is close IMHO. Cut it with white or light grey if it looks too "intense". Saw it used on a Ukranian Flanker model and it looked great. Find pics of OLD F-15's, they're painted in 100% Air Superiority Blue--they are what it was created for.

Testor's Flanker colors are known to be off. Basically-they look great in the bottle, but dry to a totally different color. Better than totally guessing though. Best opinion I found was the 2 lighter are "ok", with the darkest being too dark. Avoid Xtracolor Flanker colors. "Niche" Flanker paint is supposed to be right on, but impossible to find.

Also, the very famous and oft-modeled Ukranian Flankers have non-standard colors. One of them is Air Superiority blue, but the other two are not your standard Flanker colors.

There's a dozen companies a year that say they'll make Flanker colors, but none ever show up. Or they're ultra-hard to get.

Finally: The most often quoted FS numbers for Flankers:

FS35550 FS35450 FS35526 However, 35450, Air Sup Blue, is much too bright for real Flankers IMHO. I've seen 35420 listed, that may be better. (I like Ukranian Flankers, as does everyone else, and they're the most photographed--which messes up what every thinks of as "normal" Flanker paint)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Oooh! I like that grey scheme better- damn, I might need to get another VF-0D!

Any real aircraft modellers out there? How would one reproduce that light whitesh grey around some of the panel lines in the CGI rendering? Any real world references? I've read some good weathering details on the navy's TPS grey schemes, but they only really work on 1:32 scale aircraft, its just too hard to replicate it in 1:72.

Oooh! I like that grey scheme better- damn, I might need to get another VF-0D!

Any real aircraft modellers out there? How would one reproduce that light whitesh grey around some of the panel lines in the CGI rendering? Any real world references? I've read some good weathering details on the navy's TPS grey schemes, but they only really work on 1:32 scale aircraft, its just too hard to replicate it in 1:72.

That looks like paint shipping around pannels and the effect seawater would have on a painted bird... but David Hingtgen will know more than I