Cutie Honey

areaseven

chmoviedvd01.jpg13up.gif

Cutie Honey ( キューティーãƒãƒ‹ãƒ¼ )

Towani/Warner Bros./VAP, 2004

Bandai Entertainment, 2007

Directed by Hideaki Anno (Gunbuster, Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Based on the manga by Go Nagai (Mazinger Z, Devilman)

Running Time: 94 minutes

Rated 13-Up for violence and mature situations.

"HONEY FLASH!!!"

Cast

Eriko Satoh :wub: :wub: :wub: as Honey Kisaragi/Cutie Honey

Mikako Ichikawa :wub: as Natsuko Aki

Jun Murakami as Seiji Hayami

Eisuke Sakai as Sister Jill

Mitsuhiro Oikawa as Black Claw

Mayumi Shintani as Scarlet Claw

Hairi Katagiri as Gold Claw

Shie Kohinata as Cobalt Claw

Synopsis

Honey Kisaragi is a lovely android with the ability to disguise herself in different outfits and magically transform into Cutie Honey, the warrior of love. But when a mysterious organization known as "Panther Claw" appear and abduct Honey's uncle, she must team up with tomboyish policewoman Natsuko Aki and the sly journalist Seiji Hayami to defeat Panther claw and save her uncle and the rest of Tokyo.

Lowdown

After over a year of reading about it, I finally got a chance to see the live-action remake of Go Nagai's manga/anime classic Cutie Honey. "How was it?" you'd ask. Well, if you're expecting a good story, you're in the wrong place. Looking for special effects of the same caliber as Returner and Casshern? Look somewhere else.

Instead, what you have is a plethora of absolute cheesiness. Director Anno went all out on making Cutie Honey a major camp-fest in the likes of old-school Kamen Rider and sentai shows. If you found Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon to be painful to watch, you may want to avoid this film. The acting is flat and the dialogue is straight-out corny. The computer-generated special effects are intentionally made to look cartoonish. But hey - it's all about fun factor. Besides, Eriko Satoh is so damn hot as Honey, even if she can't act.

Adding to the fun is a shagadellic retro soundtrack featuring an updated version of the Cutie Honey theme by J-Pop sensation Kumi Koda (Final Fantasy X-2). And don't miss a cameo appearance by Go Nagai himself.

Overall, if you simply want a campy popcorn flick, add Cutie Honey to your list. And unlike its anime counterpart Re: Cutie Honey, it's loads of fun for all ages.

Rating: B

Links

Official Cutie Honey Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

You forgot to mention the really great Go Nagai cameo.

This movie was fun. They actually tried making it a live action anime. It's a lot less risque than the the recent OVA though.

Speaking of the anime.......how many were released?

Is the one released by ADV the newest series?

For Re: Cutie Honey? It was 3 episodes... each about 42 minutes long.

I think the one brought out by ADV is fairly old... maybe even before Cutie Honey Flash (the latest full-length CH series)

But when a mysterious organization known as "Panther Claw" appear and abduct Honey's uncle, she must team up with tomboyish policewoman Natsuko Aki and the sly journalist Seiji Hayami to defeat Panther claw and save her uncle and the rest of Tokyo.

If she's an android, how can she have an uncle?

Sorry, just in a nitpicking sort of mood today.

Graham

You forgot to mention the really great Go Nagai cameo.

This movie was fun.  They actually tried making it a live action anime.  It's a lot less risque than the the recent OVA though.

ADV released New Cutie Honey, which was an OVA from the mid-nineties.

Please don't scare me with thoughts like that.  :ph34r:

Well, there's the Devilman live-action movie. Don't know how bad it is, but I can tell you that it's severely watered-down, as it carries a P-12 rating in Japan.

And it looks like it was a complete eye-candy show... every cap I've seen has been CG. :ph34r:

• 2 years later...

you know.. i heard a thought that gave me pause on the whole "intentionally cheesy [bad]" movies. Movies like this, sailor moon, snakes on a plane, or the planet terror half of grindhouse:

"Is it really any better to make an intentionally bad movie, than it is to just make a bad movie. In the end it's still bad."

you know.. i heard a thought that gave me pause on the whole "intentionally cheesy [bad]" movies. Movies like this, sailor moon, snakes on a plane, or the planet terror half of grindhouse:

"Is it really any better to make an intentionally bad movie, than it is to just make a bad movie. In the end it's still bad."

I don't think Sailor Moon was ment to be bad... nor was it bad. It was just a fun little fantasy/adventure/romance series, that was actually really well done. Better then the anime in most respects, almost as fun to watch as the Sailor Moon musicals.

And the same for Cutie Honey... I don't think it was meant to be bad... just fun and light-hearted and that's what it was.

I don't think Sailor Moon was ment to be bad... nor was it bad. It was just a fun little fantasy/adventure/romance series, that was actually really well done. Better then the anime in most respects, almost as fun to watch as the Sailor Moon musicals.

And the same for Cutie Honey... I don't think it was meant to be bad... just fun and light-hearted and that's what it was.

we're talking abotu the live action versions, not the original animes.

I've always thought no. But I can't seem to get many people to agree with me. I rarely feel like wasting my time with something low quality, no matter the creators intention. I guess I just don't like camp. At least not in my movies.