First shots of Charlize Theron as Aeon Flux.

UN Spacy

There is a reason why I frequently keep my hopes for comics/animation/video game to movie conversions low. Life is so much simplier...

Cyc (who wonders why the lowest quality DVDs are the soonest to go out of print and reach 300% above RRP on ebay, ie Aeon Flux and MST3K Movie)

...(who wonders why the lowest quality DVDs are the soonest to go out of print and reach 300% above RRP on ebay, ie Aeon Flux and MST3K Movie)

Gotta part company with ya on that one Cyclone. I don't see Ghost World flying off the shelves the ;)

Love it or hate it, Peter Chung's character design is unique enough to make up for the lack of story. But the bottom line is this is one of those titles that will not translate well when making the move to live action. Just look at his other works, (Riddick, Alexander, and Matriculated) and thank the Gods he actually had something to work with to back up his animation. I'm not hating on the guy. After all, he's come a long way since his days at Disney as an animation checker and background artist. I just think it's a big mistake to make this entertaining, yet confusing title into a movie. Then again, it could be worse; Fox can still threaten to produce a live action DBZ movie :o

Kate Beckinsdale is hot, but not an action star at all she really sucks in action movies.

Odd. I thought her action scenes in Underworld were fantastic. Oozed style, confidence, and moved like a girl that wasn't about to trip over herself. I've also heard that the scenes of her with steely gaze while shooting firearms is actually her with steely gaze while shooting firearms-- a rarity supposedly, since most actors flinch to some degree. Supposedly that's also part of the reason for the sunglasses in Matrix-- to hide flinching eyes. Her physicality is pretty admirable, especially for an actress that can actually act.

Anyway, I'd take either Beckingsale or Theron over the andgrogynous abomination that starred in the original animation. Go figure.

-Al

Anyway, I'd take either Beckingsale or Theron over the andgrogynous abomination that starred in the original animation. Go figure.

-Al

Yeah, they'd have to get that old chick from Just Shoot Me to get an accurate Aeon Flux looking gal. :lol:

Kate Beckinsdale is hot, but not an action star at all she really sucks in action movies.

Odd. I thought her action scenes in Underworld were fantastic. Oozed style, confidence, and moved like a girl that wasn't about to trip over herself. I've also heard that the scenes of her with steely gaze while shooting firearms is actually her with steely gaze while shooting firearms-- a rarity supposedly, since most actors flinch to some degree. Supposedly that's also part of the reason for the sunglasses in Matrix-- to hide flinching eyes. Her physicality is pretty admirable, especially for an actress that can actually act.

Kate Beckinsale can keep her steely gaze when I have her handcuffed to... Oops! :ph34r:

-Al

I didn't mind her acting at all. I just found her action scenes in Underworld and to some extent Van Helsing(crappy anyway... or as I like to call it Underworld II: Because Underworld Didn't Suck Enough). Her steely gaze looks to me like she's confused as she trudges aimlessly through various shooting galleries. I was looking forward to Underworld, but I just found her disappointing in an already disappointing movie. I'd rewatch it to maybe see what it is you're talking about but I distinctly recall a noticeable lack of style on her part. Its cool that she doesn't' flinch, but there's no "wow" factor for me when she's killing em. I haven't seen Blade Trinity, but I'd rather watch I and II ten times over Underworld/Helsing anyday. I'd go back and check if I'm mistaken, but that would mean I'd have to get around the plot of the movie first. Frankly about halfway through the film I turned to my buddy and was like "Man, I know why I don't like this movie; I'm not some 14 year old, fat wannabe goth chick." Seriously... the coolest part of the movie IMHO was the dude doing the "brain liquefy punch" on that other vamp. She is a good actress, but I think the UW script was so piss poor, even she couldn't save it.

I totally agree with you on Beckinsdal/Theron > Androgynous Abomination.

Phantom 2040 = suck

Aeon Flux = suck

Reign = suck

Did I miss anything? Aren't those all by the same dude or animation studio? I hate anorexic, androgynous, ugly things running around trying to pass themselves off as human.

...(who wonders why the lowest quality DVDs are the soonest to go out of print and reach 300% above RRP on ebay, ie Aeon Flux and MST3K Movie)

Gotta part company with ya on that one Cyclone. I don't see Ghost World flying off the shelves the ;)

I meant lowest quality in regards to visual/authoring of disc, not content.

It does occur to me that her hair like that makes her almost look like Ash from Avalon...

I didn't mind her acting at all. I just found her action scenes in Underworld and to some extent Van Helsing

Come on, you gotta like when she jumped, landed, and strutted away eeriely without missing a beat (if I remember the scene right). Slick! Could be that the action scenes needed better choreography... but I do really like how she moves, and the way she struts and runs with efficency, confidence and purpose. She's not flailing, unbalanced, and akward like so many starlets pushed into action roles.

I dunno, I kinda find the old Just Shoot Me chick vaguely attractive... :blink:

They could always pick up Carrie Anne Moss for the Aeon Flux role. She had that androgynous thing going pretty good in the last few Matrix movies, and it'd be a lot more accurate visually. But then I wouldn't watch it.

-Al

I'll give it a chance, Theron has never done a sh!tty movie that I know of. I think you fanboys are too critical... of just about everything.

Underworld was lame, but you can NOT compare the acting tallents of Theron and Beckensale... Charlize is 20 times better an ACTRESS.

Theron has never done a sh!tty movie that I know of.

Well, The Astronaut's Wife put me to sleep...

Oh yeah, that Jonny Depp movie. That was a long time ago, I can forgive that.

I've only seen a couple of episodes of the old series, but these pictures do absolutely nothing for me. All I can see is that they've actually found a way to make Charlize unattractive (with the exception of Monster-esque makeup).

Did I say "unattractive?" I meant "futuristic." :rolleyes:

As for Theron being skinny... she's not really, it's just that she doesn't have a huge... rack. Even without a big *rack*, she looked really good in 2 Days in the Valley.

I love the animation and I'd love for them to do this as theatrical animation... I love well-done animation, and I'd love to see more of it. But that's not happening. Too bad.

As for the rack... If they're going live-action it's got to be a compromise. I'd rather have her look real than have her padded up like Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Boobs don't have to be huge to look good.

But she's gotta have the trademark hair, IMO.

On the other hand, it's an adaptation. Photos aren't going to tell me much about how well the good points of the original have been carried over. The hair, the oufit, those things aren't going to make or break the movie.

What I love about the original is that it's fun, a little kinky, and always weird. I like how the old material is sometimes a bit cryptic (like the repetition in "Tide") and I like Aeon's knack for self-defeat. Some of the TV-safe fanservice on the original and the TV-series is almost embarassingly cheap, (Like all the "oh, my god, she's totally bisexual and doing it with that girl sometimes!" stuff.) but it's still fun. The problem is, "sexy girl with guns" has been done to death in the movies. It's cheap as hell, it's outright devalued. Some films get extra points for being clever, not taking themselves too seriously, or whatever. What's this movie going to do, or have, that'll set it apart and make it worthwhile? What's it going to have for people like me, who love the original and want to see some of that reflected in the movie? That's what counts.

Some variation of the Aeon clone story from the TV show might be good for the basis of a movie... that was a very 'accessible' story with lots of dialogue, but it was still very much Aeon Flux IMO. You have weirdos like Scafandra and the border crossing scenario, and Aeon even dies at the end. If they did something like Sybil's spinal gap that would make for interesting (if inevitably cheesy) CGI as well. :)

You can't have Theron with the Aeon style hair. It'll look stupid in film. Animation? Ok. With an actual actress? It won't look right.

This is also the same reason that making film costumes exactly match comic book character outfits is usually a bad idea. You can't make it look right for most characters/outfits.

Edited by Warmaker

I'll give it a chance, Theron has never done a sh!tty movie that I know of. I think you fanboys are too critical... of just about everything.

Underworld was lame, but you can NOT compare the acting tallents of Theron and Beckensale... Charlize is 20 times better an ACTRESS.

devils advocate, yeah that was a winner wasn't it?

outside of the hot redhead getting full frontal, that movie/acting sucked sweaty rhino testies.

regardless, shes a friggin hottie! :wub:

You can't have Theron with the Aeon style hair. It'll look stupid in film. Animation? Ok. With an actual actress? It won't look right.

I know an adaptation has to be a compromise. I said so. And in X-Men, for instance, I think discarding the costumes was a good idea for exactly the reasons you cited. It's just that as it is she looks so generic. It's way too soon to know how this thing is going to turn out, of course, but with nothing else to go on, I just find myself wishing there were some kind of stronger tie to the old material.

Why? Because until the movie somehow makes itself distinguished, the tie with the original Aeon Flux material is all that separates it from the sea of crap that follows a similar formula.

That said, I do believe it would be possible for someone to have Aeon Flux hair, or Aeon Flux-esque hair, and not look stupid. I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision for the film. See paragraph one.

• 10 months later...

Did you see it? I'll watch it if you will, although I'm not too enthusiastic about a movie that has a spot in the Rotten Tomatoes site...

I didn't like the animated series on MTV.......I didn't care for animation style, or story, I was too young to understand it, and because of that I'm choosing not to even see the movie....the trailers turn me off completely.

Well, that answers my question as to why Charlize would be a guest hostess for Spike TV's "video game awards show." I see her, or at least hope to see her, signing a contract with Vivid pictures in the near future...

Well, that answers my question as to why Charlize would be a guest hostess for Spike TV's "video game awards show."  I see her, or at least hope to see her, signing a contract with Vivid pictures in the near future...

349918[/snapback]

Wouldnt that be to pimp her movie and video game to the target audience? I don't understand what the big mystery is.

There was no mystery, I was being disrespectful to Charlize...

-Oh, and it will take far more than parading around on Spike's VGA show, a 2 hour commercial blitz for the video game industry, to gain any favor for that....."movie" she just released...

Edited by myk

What is it with Oscar winning actresses doing shitty movies after they've won?

Hollywood is pretty cruel to women. Men have it easier with age. Sean Connery just becomes a bigger and bigger pimp as time goes on. The women however just get booted to the curb.

349995[/snapback]

:D

And who says that art doesn't faithfully imitate life?