Z Gundam DVD Set Myth or reality

Not sure if any of you guys read it, but someone at Anime on DVD's forums posted this:

one of my Korean friends told me that OP/ED was replaced with an instrumental score when they played Zeta on VoD last year in S. Korea. so apparently, other conuntries weren't able to get the correct song played in the show either.

Hmmm...

Um, haven't I already said -- several times, even -- that Bandai should have told us about this a long time ago?  Don't bitch me out as if I were saying they've handled the situation perfectly so far.

I'm not bitching you out. You haven't seen me bitch anyone out. I'm pointing out how you keep trying to justify the whole thing as a way to undermine the gripes people have for a good reason.

I'm not justifying it, I'm telling you that it's trivial and it wasn't just some arbitrary decision on Bandai's part.

Honestly, the way you people sit there and whine about this, you'd think half the show ended up on Bandai's cutting room floor, when really all they did was alter the credits to use THE SAME SONGS without lyrics.  It's just unbelievable how up in arms people get over things.

See, there ya go. No, it's not unbelievable. It's all perfectly valid. I didn't cancel my odrer but I see nothing wrong with those who want to. Especially if you look at the hefty price tag money is being shelled out for an incomplete set.

I paid my money for the show. I didn't pay $120 to see the OPs and ED. Do I wish I could get it unaltered? Yes. But I'm not going to bitch and whine about something that wasn't even under Bandai's control to begin with when the impact it has on the show itself is exactly nil. This is not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. I'm getting tired of hearing people bitch and whine over every little thing.

Mine's shipped out from right stuf.

Edited by Anubis

Mine shipped from DDDVD.

Estimated arrival date - Tomorrow.

Glad I paid the extra 6 bucks for 2 day shipping!.

Yup....Zeta along with F91 had been shipped :D . Man, I wish I could use the two-day shipping option, but I chose standard shipping from DDDVD. Hope it will arrive before Christmas.

I've just received the e-mail confirmation from DigitalEyes: being in France, with a bit of luck I should get the set in a month or so... Better late then never :)

I don't want to keep fanning the flames, but here's a good explanation of exactly what's up with the music, as written to the GML by -Z-:

-Z- <Z@gundam.com> to list

On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 07:46, Vince Averello wrote:

> Rights issues. too many layers of people to go through

> (including Neil Sedaka here in the US, who appears to have

> written/composed the themes). Bandai/Sunrise either couldn't

> get approval or it cost too much for a limited release

In 1978, Dara released a 45 rpm single "My Guy" c/w "Beautiful You" produced by

David Foster and Neil Sedaka on RSO Records.  Dara recorded "Should've Never Let

You Go'" with her father in 1980, which reached #19 on the pop chart.  In 1982,

Dara released her first solo album entitled "I'm Your Girl Friend" only for

Japan.  This album included "Angel Queen", the ED theme to the Leiji Matsumoto's

Queen of 1,000 Years AKA Millennium Queen anime feature film, otherwise scored

by the legendary New Age musician Kitaro.  (A Japanese cover was also done by

Moko Nanri.)  The English lyrics were written by her father, Neil Sedaka, who

was clearly intent on passing the torch, career-wise.

"I'm Your Girl Friend" featured a Who's Who of musical artists:

Drums: Mike Baird

Bass: Dennis Belfield

Guitar: Michael Landau, Steve Lukather

Keyboards: David Foster

Synthesizer: Steve Porcaro, Kitaro

Horns: Jerry Hey, Gary Grant

Sax: Gary Herbig

Backing Vocals: Pages (Richard Page & Steve George), Clif Newton, Bryan Adams

Originally released on LP only by Canyon Record, the album was reissued on CD by

West Wood Records, Japan (SDCF-1010) on 18 August 2004.

Dara Sedaka cut a wide swathe through the Japanese ad market thereafter,

bringing with her not only acclaim for her Japanese debut single and album but

also the not inconsiderable name recognition of her father, who continued to pen

most of her songs.  Originally, Dara Sedaka was to have sung the Neil Sedaka

compositions that became the Z Gundam OP/ED but the Powers That Be balked at

such a package deal.

A compromise was reached whereby other artists, specifically Maya Akuyama and

Hiroko Moriguchi, would do the vocals but that the music would be restricted to

the Japanese market, allowing the Sedakas to produce it in North America, if

they so chose.

Therein lies the rub.  The Japanese own the lyrics, the arrangement and the

vocals, but not the actual composition, and the Japanese rights only extend to

the Asian market.

-Z-

--------------------------------------------------

The Gundam Mailing List MK-II list@gundam.com

Archives: http://www.gundam.com/gml

Help: Email mailserver@gundam.com with this in

the BODY: help list

Just got mine today, awesome box....but that intro just doesn't fit. Those who have never seen Zeta will be the luckiest. But the piece they used, especially with all the shitty sound effects thrown in.....it's been turned into the robotech intro!

Easy solution: -

Step 1: Turn down TV volume when watching Zeta Intro.

Step 2: Put CD with 'Sign of Zeta' song into Hi Fi and play during intro.

Step 3: Intro finishes, turn off Hi Fi and turn up TV sound.

:D:D:D:D:D

That's what I'd do if I bought this DVD set, which I won't though as Zeta makes me fall asleep. I do love the Sign of Zeta song tho :D .

Graham

Yeah, but that's a pain, you know? And it's such a hack.

The opening music they used on the DVDs is weird... It's so sedate. Plus it has those crappy sound effects dubbed over that they use in the English dubs of all the Gundam shows. :yuck:

:D:D:D:D:D

That's what I'd do if I bought this DVD set, which I won't though as Zeta makes me fall asleep. I do love the Sign of Zeta song tho :D .

Graham

Here's another one that I found works quite well.

Press the little double arrow button on your remote with "skip" written underneath.

The subtitle script is closer to the english dub than it is to a literal japanese translation. Even I with next to no knowledge of the Japanese language (everything I learned is from anime) am picking out errors. It's also been noted over at the AoD forums.

The subtitle script is closer to the english dub than it is to a literal japanese translation. Even I with next to no knowledge of the Japanese language (everything I learned is from anime) am picking out errors. It's also been noted over at the AoD forums.

Still gotta be better than the subs on the HK DVD sets though, right?

Graham

Still gotta be better than the subs on the HK DVD sets though, right?

Graham

Well, as a total newcomer to Zeta, I can say that so far, I love the set.

Yes, the subs are closer to the English dub, but then, I think that is to be expected. I am not such a purist that I want to see every last word translated literally from the Japanese. That's how you wind up seeing lines like...

"In a place like this?" 8000 times during a given series. :lol:

You have to expect that if they are going to reengineer the set for a US release, that they are going to match the subs to the dubs for the most part. That's at least what most of the other US release Gundam titles have been like.

IMHO, it's still better than buying an HK boot, and way better than shelling out 5 times as much for the R2 set with NO subs OR dubs, and having to depend upon visuals only.

That sounds pretty bad. Makes you wonder what kept delaying this box considering dubtitles shouldn't take that long to produce compared to real subtitles.

I'm sorry, but dubtitles are "never" ok. It shows a severe lack of regard towards people who actually want to watch the show subtitled, as well as a huge lack of effort in translating.

The whole point in watching something subtitled is to not have to put up with this poo. Better than HK's? Debatable. Better than raw? Again debatable. How is a mistranslation better than no translation? In both, you're not getting what's "really" going on.

Considering this is a limited edition set, with the main audience being people who care about such things, it only stands to reason that if the intro's aren't going to be there, the freakin' translation should be accurate.