PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

I came ever so class on blowing 30 dollars on Pelican's starter kit...would come with an all in one case, ear phones, USB Link cable, Carcharger and I think 4 or 5 UMD cases which you can store in your pouch.

BUT I went ahead and got something else instead cause they said they're going to carry more of them on PSP's release date next week.

theres a bunch of games I want:

Ridge Racers

Lumines

Coded Arms

Dynasty Warriors

take it from me.. these will be good.

Don't buy Dynasty Warriors! It is just a downgraded version of PS2 Dynasty Warriors 2... :ph34r: I tried the Japanese version and I got bored within 15 minutes. Go get Metal Gear Ac!d instead.

I have a PS and five games paid for. I wonder if they are going to have me come down to EB tomorrow to pick up my games to be released on the 15th with the system still not due for another week.

That will be a long week of instruction manual and small disc size admiration :p

I doubt they'll make you pick them up this week. I know at Gamestop, we're in a contest with other Gamestops to sell the most extra stuff to the people who pick up their PSPs, so I know we'll be holding all the games for the customers through the 26th at least.

theres a bunch of games I want:

Ridge Racers

Lumines

Coded Arms

Dynasty Warriors

take it from me.. these will be good.

How could you forget Wipeout Pure? Wipeout XL is still one of my all-time faves for the PSone, and the previews are paiting Pure as one of the best launch games for the PSP.

I'm definately getting all of the following

Wipeout Pure

Ridge Racer

Dynasty Warriors

Untold Legends

Need For Speed Underground Rivals

Lumines

Ape Escape

Tiger Woods PGA Tour

Haven't made up my mind, but I might go for Darkstalkers, too. I liked Darkstalkers 3 a lot, but I can't see paying $40 for a 2D fighting game in this day and age.

Don't buy Dynasty Warriors! It is just a downgraded version of PS2 Dynasty Warriors 2... ph34r.gif I tried the Japanese version and I got bored within 15 minutes. Go get Metal Gear Ac!d instead.

Considering that it looks more like Dynasty Warriors 3 or 4, and considering that I like some of the features they've incorporated into the PSP version, and most of all because I love Dynasty Warriors mindless hack and slash gameplay (now in a portable unit!), I'm sticking with it. And as for Ac!d, I absolutely can't stand card battle games. Not Baten Kaitos, not Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and not Ac!d.

Sean and his group over at the Gamestop store near work says you can get your games today if you wanna, along with some of the accessories, but if you wanna wait till your PSP arrives (I would if I felt like it...maybe I will) you can.

But to me the only difference from getting it now and next week is the fact your playing it or not. God knows yeah I'd like to play it, but waiting the extra week thinking about it is still gonna exist.

I don't think the PSP accessories that it'll come with are exactly the same as the Pelican ones....PSP wont come with a USB cable...or a car charger ooooooorrrrr an all in one case will it? I know its coming with a leather case, but will it hold my games? or my car charger and what not? : / I honestly don't know.

Sean and his group over at the Gamestop store near work says you can get your games today if you wanna, along with some of the accessories, but if you wanna wait till your PSP arrives (I would if I felt like it...maybe I will) you can.

But to me the only difference from getting it now and next week is the fact your playing it or not. God knows yeah I'd like to play it, but waiting the extra week thinking about it is still gonna exist.

I don't think the PSP accessories that it'll come with are exactly the same as the Pelican ones....PSP wont come with a USB cable...or a car charger ooooooorrrrr an all in one case will it? I know its coming with a leather case, but will it hold my games? or my car charger and what not? : / I honestly don't know.

No, it's not coming with a car charger, but they sell seperately for $9.99 (I won't get one anyway, since if I'm in a car, I must be driving it). I never thought about the USB thing, though, since my VAIO reads Memory Sticks (and Duo, with the adaptor). As for the case, yeah, it just holds the PSP. The games themselves will come in plastic cases like DVD boxes, only slightly smaller. I'm the kind of guy that really only plays one game at a time, so it's not pressing that I have extra games to play when I'm outside. If I was, I'd just put them, plastic boxes and all, into a backpack.

The Logitech case is supposed to be protective enough to keep the PSP from being damaged if you drop it, and has a folding design that allows the PSP to be played while still in the case. Not to mention that Logitech is one of the few third party manufacturers that make really good stuff... their wireless controller for the PS2 is actually better than a Dual Shock.

What bout that Prostarter kit or something? Big metal case that holds just about everything?

See, I personaly take more then 1 game with me, cause you never know when I might be in the mood from going too Need for Speed, over to heh.......metal gear (didn't buy that one) during my lunch hour.

I just like to conserve as much room as humanly possible.

I'll probably go pick up my game today at lunch.

I absolutely have my hate on for 99% of third party accessories from memory cards to controllers, companies like Mad Catz and Pelican have been selling defective trash that isn't worth the plastic it is pressed out of for too long. Save your money and buy another game, put your PSP or DS or whatver in a backpack. Most of these carrying cases and custom boxes are overpriced, uneccessary fluff.

Just my opinion on accessories.

I went down to my EB at lunch, they didn't have their 15th releases in stock and the girl at the counter was utterly confused when I asked about release dates. Furthermore, she said that EB doesn't have Gran Tourismo for PSP in their pre-sell database so she couldn't accept my game reservation. What a depressing trip, thank goodness the best milkshakes in Chattanooga were on my way back to the office. :)

I absolutely have my hate on for 99% of third party accessories from memory cards to controllers, companies like Mad Catz and Pelican have been selling defective trash that isn't worth the plastic it is pressed out of for too long.  Save your money and buy another game, put your PSP or DS or whatver in a backpack.  Most of these carrying cases and custom boxes are overpriced, uneccessary fluff.

Just my opinion on accessories.

I went down to my EB at lunch, they didn't have their 15th releases in stock and the girl at the counter was utterly confused when I asked about release dates.  Furthermore, she said that EB doesn't have Gran Tourismo for PSP in their pre-sell database so she couldn't accept my game reservation.  What a depressing trip, thank goodness the best milkshakes in Chattanooga were on my way back to the office. :)

Usually, if Gamespot, IGN, or anywhere else says a game comes out on the 15th, that means it shipped on the 15th, to arrive in stores on the morning of the 16th. Very few games are actually what we call "street-dated," meaning that they arrive in the stores well before the release date.

As for reserving Gran Turismo 4 Mobile for the PSP, you can try Gamestop. If the clerk knows what he's doing, he can take your reserve as a generic sku until a proper GT4M reserve sku is given. Just be advised that we don't expect it until September.

Oh, BTW, I agree with you for the most part, about third party stuff. Mad Catz, Pelican, Hip Gear... they all make crap. But I do have to give much love for the Logitech stuff...there's a reason why it's more expensive... it's actually worth it.

Edited by mikeszekely

Why would you be worried about a game that wont come out till September? lol But yeah, there might not be an actual release date yet, Gundam SEED for the DS says April the 1st, but when you ask a counter man they can't give you a straight answer cause it doesn't pop up. Online sites are wrong alot of the times.

I went to gamestop and stupid me I was right originally, games wont be coming out till tomorrow and not today, so I think I'll just wait till next week like Thursday :p to get my N4SRivals game...and I relaly wish Coded Arms was out tomorrow...

I think I'll just wait till next week like Thursday :p to get my N4SRivals game...and I relaly wish Coded Arms was out tomorrow...

Must... be... patient... 8 and a half more days... 8 and half more days.

Man, am I bored. What the hell am I supposed to do for 8 and half more days?

Well EB had Gran Tourismo PSP listed as shipping on March 29 on their website last week, now it has vanished.

As far as teh street dates thing goes, EBgames may have it listed as a ship date of the 15th, but in store release dates, as I am sure you know, are almost universally on Tuesday so... Anyhow, the EB clerk should have been up to speed on the release at least having some clue what they were shipping and when, seeing as how it is going to way-lay them next week, I figured they would be trying to get as many transactions done early as possible to spread out some of the rush.

At any rate, no biggie, just sharing the fact that EB in my neighborhood didn't have the games for distribution and have no idea what the actual release date for Gran Tourismo PSP is :p Not like it matters, I can't play em for a week anyhow.

QUOTE (Hikuro @ Mar 15 2005, 01:40 PM)

I think I'll just wait till next week like Thursday  to get my N4SRivals game...and I relaly wish Coded Arms was out tomorrow... 

Well to pass my 8 days, I'm watching Battlestar Galatica on my computer, AIR, Ah My Goddess, and numerous other things.

I've also got BSG for my PS2 yesterday and wanna play it when I get home, but I also got a playdate with a friend of mine cause he wants to learn some of the Halo2 maps to play in a tournament, the last one he went too he got 4th place and was REALLY mad...but he took first in CS with a few of his gamer pals and got a big batch of colored balls : / wha kind of a prize is that? I don't know, but he seemed happy there. Then you mention Halo2 and you get a furious expression from his face.

As far as teh street dates thing goes, EBgames may have it listed as a ship date of the 15th, but in store release dates, as I am sure you know, are almost universally on Tuesday so...

A common misconception from the fact that movies are almost always street dated, and do always seem to come out on Tuesdays. Fact is, and I can tell you this from working at Gamestop, games come in Tuesday, Wednesday, AND Thursday, with probably 75% of it coming in on Wednesday. Games that come out on Tuesday are usually released by big American companies like EA, and just happen to ship on Monday.

QUOTE (Hikuro @ Mar 15 2005, 01:40 PM)

I think I'll just wait till next week like Thursday  to get my N4SRivals game...and I relaly wish Coded Arms was out tomorrow... 

Well to pass my 8 days, I'm watching Battlestar Galatica on my computer, AIR, Ah My Goddess, and numerous other things.

I've also got BSG for my PS2 yesterday and wanna play it when I get home, but I also got a playdate with a friend of mine cause he wants to learn some of the Halo2 maps to play in a tournament, the last one he went too he got 4th place and was REALLY mad...but he took first in CS with a few of his gamer pals and got a big batch of colored balls : / wha kind of a prize is that? I don't know, but he seemed happy there. Then you mention Halo2 and you get a furious expression from his face.

I don't have Battlestar Galactica. Or a Halo 2 tournament. And the Iggle Video where I live closed so they could build a drive-though pharmacy, so I can't rent anything...

Damn Republic Commando for being so short!

I went to GS yesterday, and they told me their shipment of games for the PSP were shipped ground....meaning hmmmmmm Monday release which pisses me off. You advertise a March 15th release, its fine if it actually doesn't come out till the next day, but to have it ground?! Mmmmmmaaaaaaaannnnn I'm glad PSP comes out after the games or I'd be furious not to have something to play.

^_^ But my time is passing rather nicely. I'll have the entire BSG Season1 by tonight, I might even get the mini series tonight too! And I think I'll be playing some Halo2 for once since Tuesday was the first time I touched the game since December.

But man my friend kicked my ass all over the place...I had alot of close ones but he got the upper hand so frakin quickly.

We did have a fluke accident too...I finally had a sniper rifle so I could actually keep an eye on him and just as I had him in site the cat jumped and scared the bejesus outta me dropping my controler.....and wha do you know 0_o I shot my friend in the head and got him.

"DAMN YOU! WHERE WERE YOU!?" "Uhhhhh facing you?"

I went to GS yesterday, and they told me their shipment of games for the PSP were shipped ground....meaning hmmmmmm Monday release which pisses me off. You advertise a March 15th release, its fine if it actually doesn't come out till the next day, but to have it ground?! Mmmmmmaaaaaaaannnnn I'm glad PSP comes out after the games or I'd be furious not to have something to play.

^_^ But my time is passing rather nicely. I'll have the entire BSG Season1 by tonight, I might even get the mini series tonight too! And I think I'll be playing some Halo2 for once since Tuesday was the first time I touched the game since December.

But man my friend kicked my ass all over the place...I had alot of close ones but he got the upper hand so frakin quickly.

We did have a fluke accident too...I finally had a sniper rifle so I could actually keep an eye on him and just as I had him in site the cat jumped and scared the bejesus outta me dropping my controler.....and wha do you know 0_o I shot my friend in the head and got him.

"DAMN YOU! WHERE WERE YOU!?" "Uhhhhh facing you?"

I don't know about the GS in your area, but we're expecting the first PSP games to trickle in today (17th). As for shipping ground, well, it makes sense... why pay extra to get software faster for a system that's still a week away? The games should be there by the 24th, that's all that matters to me, since I've got EIGHT of them preordered now.

My time is still dragging. I wish I had just one kick-ass game that I could finish in about a week (in other words, I wish God of War cam out today instead of next week). But the good thing for me is I work on Wednesday night (set aside all my PSP stuff right after we close) and Thursday morning (buy it before we actually open the door to the public, then charge it in the back room so it's ready to go when I am).

I played that lil demo of GoW, and the guy there at GS (never seen him before either..n00b) was REALLY pushing for a sale there. I didn't really like the game all that much...some hack and slash games are fun, but I'm not a huge fan of 'em unless they got mecha in there..otherwise no.

But I was really dissapointed that the games weren't here afterall that boasting Sean and group did "Oh yeah early this week! Probably Tuesday, if not wedensday yep!" Aaaaaand I come in "Uh....no sorry James, didn't come in"

Oh well I'm blowin cash somewhere else for now :p

Phone rang lastnight, picked it up, NFSURivals is out today.... <_< I'm just going to wait till my PSP comes too, and it better be on the 24th in stores and not this ground shipment bs cause I'm not waiting the next week while I got a whole weekend to play.

Phone rang lastnight, picked it up, NFSURivals is out today.... <_< I'm just going to wait till my PSP comes too, and it better be on the 24th in stores and not this ground shipment bs cause I'm not waiting the next week while I got a whole weekend to play.

To save trouble, we're getting a box, and as my PSP stuff comes in, it's all going in the box.

God of War is one of those games that I'd probably hate if there was someone bugging me to reserve it the whole time I was playing the demo, too. In truth, though, I enjoy a solid action/platformer every so often (actually, I enjoy the best of almost every genre, but when I dislike a game, I'll tear it to pieces). And once you really start to settle into it, GoW is good just because it does everything right. You can button mash and still feel like you're doing the most awesome moves, or you can learn combos that let you do the really awesome stuff. The platforming is just right and not out of place like it is in some games. There's some sequences that involve timed button presses that really make you feel bad-ass. And most of all, you get a certain sense of morbid satisfaction when you finally get to the perch where that archer has been pegging you from, and you literally pick him up and rip him in half for it. It might not be your thing, but it's the only game that I can think of that's coming out for awhile that's good enough that I'll still be playing with my PS2 even after I have my PSP.

Speaking of action platformers, to kill time until Thursday, I've "rented" Devil May Cry 3, and I've decided to go to see the Ring Two on Wednesday before work.

Yep, if you hound at me about how this game will rule and if you reserve a copy you get the demo for free...then its sorta like "Psh...heh no thanks" on my part. Plus...if I want the demo can I get it from one of the regs who gives me demons on alot of the stuff I'm looking for. I think I played GoW for 30 minutes and just gave up after masacaring the archers.

But during the whole 30 minutes "So wha do you think?" "Uhhh...plays like Devil May Cry" "Yes but its better!" "....I'm sure it is....but I'm reminded of Devil May Cry 2...and it blew" "But its better!" "....k....but I'm not much for hack and slash and button mash unless its against smart AI'ed enemies....not these dumb ones here."

After I finished, "So you wanna reserve your copy of Gods of War for now? And get the free demo to take home?" "Uuuuuuuhhh....nope. Actually I'd just like to get a USB link cable for my PSP." "You have a PSP reserved?" "...Wha did I just say?" "That you want a USB Link Cable." "for MY PSP....so no I'm sorry I don't want Gods of War, I just want the USB Link....that was all I came here for bro."

<_< see....you push it and I get to be a superior a-hole....if its something I haven't seen on reviews on the web or commercials, I don't want it.

Yep, if you hound at me about how this game will rule and if you reserve a copy you get the demo for free...then its sorta like "Psh...heh no thanks" on my part. Plus...if I want the demo can I get it from one of the regs who gives me demons on alot of the stuff I'm looking for. I think I played GoW for 30 minutes and just gave up after masacaring the archers.

But during the whole 30 minutes "So wha do you think?" "Uhhh...plays like Devil May Cry" "Yes but its better!" "....I'm sure it is....but I'm reminded of Devil May Cry 2...and it blew" "But its better!" "....k....but I'm not much for hack and slash and button mash unless its against smart AI'ed enemies....not these dumb ones here."

After I finished, "So you wanna reserve your copy of Gods of War for now? And get the free demo to take home?" "Uuuuuuuhhh....nope. Actually I'd just like to get a USB link cable for my PSP." "You have a PSP reserved?" "...Wha did I just say?" "That you want a USB Link Cable." "for MY PSP....so no I'm sorry I don't want Gods of War, I just want the USB Link....that was all I came here for bro."

<_< see....you push it and I get to be a superior a-hole....if its something I haven't seen on reviews on the web or commercials, I don't want it.

Try to be fair to your GS employees, though.

The situation, on our end of the counter, is this. About two years ago, there were MAJOR changes in the upper levels of the company. The current people are now idiots who lack business sense and care nothing for the company, as long as they can make their fortune before they drive it under, and the yes-men who'll do anything they say. They're the kind of people who honestly think that the way to make more money is to raise prices. The only instance where they're on the right track is that they know that repeat business is important. Unfortunately, they've no concept of customer service and what that can do for a business. Instead, they seem to think that reserves and subs are more important, because they think those will force people to come back. The sub doesn't... I've seen people come in two years later and ask what that discount card is for. Reserves don't either... I can't tell you how many people bought GT4 at Wal-Mart, then came in and cancelled their reserve at Gamestop.

So anyway, you have a company that's obsessed with reserves and subs... now add to that a District Manager who knows little about business, nothing about videogames, has never actually worked in a store, but who's year-end bonus is tied to the percentage per transaction of reserves and subs the stores in his district get. What you end up with is a store full of employees who, technically, are supposed to ask every customer ALL of the following: 1.) If they want to reserve any games. 2.) If they are interested in the Game Informer subscription deal. 3.) If they have any games they'd like to trade in. If the DM observes an employee who fails to ask all three of seriously every single person who walks in the door, they can be written up. Reguardless if they do or not, some DM's (like mine) have started to create required percentages. Failure to do so will result in associates being terminated. And the original percentage (17%) was ridiculous... no one in my store has ever made a combined percentage of 17. (He later lowered it to 13%, which is still tough, but at least possible. Percentages in general are dumb... if one guy gets one reserve, and that's his only transaction for the week, he's at 100%. If another guy gets 5 reserves, but does 100 transactions, he's only got 5%, and can be fired.)

So next time you're at Gamestop, remember, they're not getting any commissions or bonuses for getting you to reserve stuff or selling you that sub... they're just trying to keep their jobs. And if you're cool with some of those guys, do them the favor... if you know you're going to end up buying a game there anyway, just reserve it first.

Reviews are starting to come in for PSP games... according to IGN, Wipeout Pure is the best PSP game so far. According to Gamespot, Wipeout is a close second, after Lumines. Unsuprisingly, the 989 Sports titles are getting the worst reviews.

I'm not surprised that 989 sport titles are horrible.....its not easy creating a good sports game and personally I haven't played one since 1998, they just aren't any fun.

I'm just itchin for Thursday.

I'm not surprised that 989 sport titles are horrible.....its not easy creating a good sports game and personally I haven't played one since 1998, they just aren't any fun.

I'm just itchin for Thursday.

How do you think I feel? I saw them. I held one in my hands. But even for me, it is forbidden until Thursday.

That said, I'm buying mine five minutes before we actually open. Charge it while I'm at work, then when I'm ready to go, it'll be ready to go!

BTW, I really like Tiger Woods Golf on the consoles (I'm picking it up for the PSP), and ESPN NFL 2K5 was fun (and I don't even like football). It's a shame EA got the exclusive rights to the NFL... and ESPN...

Wait wait you mean the PSP's are already in your stocks? Didn't they do the same with Halo 2? Tht they got it a few days early cause the stickers said "Don't sell till XXXX"

Yeah. Except the thing is, Halo 2, I could wait for. The PSP... I'm tempted to just bludgeon the manager on duty, then walk out with a case of them.

Damn! after this thing sells out, how long do you think it will before the new shipments start? I want one, but None of the launch games look good to me. I don't want to waste money now on something I wont have any games on until Dec. :blink:

Well, I'm sure stores like GS, EB, and normal toy stores are gonna try and carry extra stock.

I looked at the screen caps for Wipeout Pure, really it doesn't look that great, but I think the selling point is being able to update the game with more maps and hover vehicles and what not, while other games don't do that, well except Coded Arms which I will be snagging in June when it comes out. That will generate random maps which you'll be able to save when your playing with friends.

I'm thinking that PSP is coming out iwth more original games for itself then Nintendo DS is launching. Really, I've seen maybe 5 games at most that are for the DS and not around for Gamecube, but all those games sorta blow in my opinion unless your a small child.

And since my Gundam SEED DS isn't coming out anytime soon it seems, PSP will probably be my bestest friend :p

Well, I'm sure stores like GS, EB, and normal toy stores are gonna try and carry extra stock.

I looked at the screen caps for Wipeout Pure, really it doesn't look that great, but I think the selling point is being able to update the game with more maps and hover vehicles and what not, while other games don't do that, well except Coded Arms which I will be snagging in June when it comes out. That will generate random maps which you'll be able to save when your playing with friends.

I'm thinking that PSP is coming out iwth more original games for itself then Nintendo DS is launching. Really, I've seen maybe 5 games at most that are for the DS and not around for Gamecube, but all those games sorta blow in my opinion unless your a small child.

And since my Gundam SEED DS isn't coming out anytime soon it seems, PSP will probably be my bestest friend :p

in away they already did. they delayed europe release so US markets can have more.