PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

Well, I will buy PSP for sure because I am amazed by the things it can do.

My friend bought a Japanese PSP back at Christmas and I had a chance to play around with it.

My first impression is the screen is so big and picture is so colorful and clear. The screen size is bigger than the plam piot LCD and the picture quality is surpassed anything handheld device I know of.

If I have a PSP, I will dump some anime to it and watch it at work

The feel of holding PSP is amazing too. It is not heavy and even lighter than NDS. The grip is very good and I had a lot of fun playing Ridge Racer with it. The analog stick handles the game very well too.

The sound is OK and the headphone is just OK (have to get a new one).

Loading time... it loads for 10~15sec everytime you put a new game in.

You can put PSP in suspend mode to save power and save you from turning PSP off and to load the game again. (nice touch)

Of course the price will come down, but how much?  Nintendo's GB was never above 100, right?  The DS could easily come down to 100 by Christmas, but the PSP?  Maybe to 150 by PS3's release.  I think they're over-estimating how much the hand-held market will pay for a system, but then again, maybe not in Japan(check that cellphone topic).

What I still don't get is, a remote?  W...T...F?!?! :huh:   I mean, it's going to be in your hand (it doesn't come with a stand, 4 inch screen...) so what's the point?

the sad part is that it will be sold out on its first shipment :blink:

What's sad about it? Sony's made a handheld unit that people are going to want to play, and they're marketing it to people who can afford the price tag.

The sad part is for 250 bucks I want a highly quality device. not one with QC issues like the japanese version (square button/dead pixels/air bubbles, drive popping out, region encoded, low batterly life (so they can make tons off consumer on the batteries as well), etc... remember Ken said this is "as designed"

Of course the price will come down, but how much?  Nintendo's GB was never above 100, right?  The DS could easily come down to 100 by Christmas, but the PSP?  Maybe to 150 by PS3's release.  I think they're over-estimating how much the hand-held market will pay for a system, but then again, maybe not in Japan(check that cellphone topic).

What I still don't get is, a remote?  W...T...F?!?! :huh:  I mean, it's going to be in your hand (it doesn't come with a stand, 4 inch screen...) so what's the point?

What's sad about it? Sony's made a handheld unit that people are going to want to play, and they're marketing it to people who can afford the price tag.

The sad part is for 250 bucks I want a highly quality device. not one with QC issues like the japanese version (square button/dead pixels/air bubbles, drive popping out, region encoded, low batterly life (so they can make tons off consumer on the batteries as well), etc... remember Ken said this is "as designed"

As I've said before, I've played a PSP, and had no issues with the square button. As for the air bubbles and dead pixels, a lot of people seem to be conveniently forgetting that the DS had the same issues, and in both cases, they were the extreme minority. The battery life is plenty long enough to play games on before it needs charged again, and as for the drive popping out, what the hell are you doing twisting it like that for in the first place?

What I still don't get is, a remote?  W...T...F?!?! :huh:   I mean, it's going to be in your hand (it doesn't come with a stand, 4 inch screen...) so what's the point?

As I've said before, I've played a PSP, and had no issues with the square button. As for the air bubbles and dead pixels, a lot of people seem to be conveniently forgetting that the DS had the same issues, and in both cases, they were the extreme minority. The battery life is plenty long enough to play games on before it needs charged again, and as for the drive popping out, what the hell are you doing twisting it like that for in the first place?

Yes, I played the PSP too and I like the screen, but I'm picky when I spend that kind of cash. It’s one of those minor things that will bother me once I noticed it. Nintendo had that issue, but they take returns not like Sony which says to its customers "SOL". You’re lucky with the square button, we have a couple here at work and one of them has that issue. The battery is a big issue with me as I do travel and that leads me to the regional lock issue. I would like to pick up games in certain countries if I’m there for work. Sony said that the movies will be region lock, but the games will not, but if the companies want to lock it, they can. I would not be surprise if the games are region lock when it release here in the states. The good thing about the PSP is that I'm impressed with the amount of launch titles, but many of them I'm not interested.

I want Nintendo to have competition, so we can get better products. But the PSP is something else, like you said this is aimed with people who can afford it. I feel the PSP is like a Neo Geo back in the SNES and Genesis days. It has its own audience, one that can burn money. Right now, all the retailers are doing bundles only which range from 399 to 599. That’s a lot of money for me and to throw it onto a system that has many flaws that should be fixed at that price tag.

I’m not saying the PSP suck or anything, I just want to Sony to fix those issues or if they don’t fix it, drop their price so they can compete with the DS and we the consumers will win :D

As I've said before, I've played a PSP, and had no issues with the square button.  As for the air bubbles and dead pixels, a lot of people seem to be conveniently forgetting that the DS had the same issues, and in both cases, they were the extreme minority.  The battery life is plenty long enough to play games on before it needs charged again, and as for the drive popping out, what the hell are you doing twisting it like that for in the first place?

4-6 hours long enough? Not really. Get on a long flight and you'll appreciate good battery life. 4-6 hours is a bit low, IMHO.

Edited by niomosy

As I've said before, I've played a PSP, and had no issues with the square button.  As for the air bubbles and dead pixels, a lot of people seem to be conveniently forgetting that the DS had the same issues, and in both cases, they were the extreme minority.  The battery life is plenty long enough to play games on before it needs charged again, and as for the drive popping out, what the hell are you doing twisting it like that for in the first place?

4-6 hours long enough? Not really. Get on a long flight and you'll appreciate good battery life. 4-6 hours is a bit low, IMHO.

4-6 hours is long enough to fly from just about anywhere in the US to anywhere in the US, and I still doubt I'd spend the entire flight playing videogames. Longer flights usually mean layovers, and I'm sure you could find a place to plug it in at the airport.

same reason why old people who play video games jerk the controllers around whey they are controlling the characters. jerk, jerk, twist.... pop..... disc flys out.

The only people I've seen jerking controllers were non-gamers. And even then, I've never seen anyone jerking around a handheld. Makes it kind of hard to see.

4-6 hours is long enough to fly from just about anywhere in the US to anywhere in the US, and I still doubt I'd spend the entire flight playing videogames. Longer flights usually mean layovers, and I'm sure you could find a place to plug it in at the airport.

Just playing Devil's Advocate:

But what if I'm flying overseas to asia? That's a 12hr flight! What am I going to do for the remaining 6-8hrs?!? Sony raped my childhood!!

(I normally just sleep but that's me. :p )

Just playing Devil's Advocate:

But what if I'm flying overseas to asia? That's a 12hr flight! What am I going to do for the remaining 6-8hrs?!? Sony raped my childhood!!

(I normally just sleep but that's me. :p )

I sleep on a 45 min. inter-island flight. I'd get more rest on those long ones. :)

I like to get out to anime conventions whenever I can manage it, and several conventions I like to hit are 12 hour drives. Then there's school or work, playing between classes, or if your job permits during slow periods. Bus rides, car rides, shopping with the girlfriend :lol: and all sorts of stuff like that. It adds up. Then there's the fact that no matter how hard you try, you're not going to recharge the thing every single day, and you're going to run out the door, and find yourself with a dead PSP on your bus ride to school/work, or on your lunch break, or whenever it is you play.

I like to get out to anime conventions whenever I can manage it, and several conventions I like to hit are 12 hour drives. Then there's school or work, playing between classes, or if your job permits during slow periods. Bus rides, car rides, shopping with the girlfriend :lol: and all sorts of stuff like that. It adds up. Then there's the fact that no matter how hard you try, you're not going to recharge the thing every single day, and you're going to run out the door, and find yourself with a dead PSP on your bus ride to school/work, or on your lunch break, or whenever it is you play.

I totally agree, between all the coke and hookers in my life I often forget to recharge my electronics. I recharge my digital camera about once a month, so I'm quite thankful for it's longevity. It's easy to say that 4-6 hours is "enough" but people forget, you get stuck on long plane trips or in traffic or whatever. It's nice to have the extra time.

I like to get out to anime conventions whenever I can manage it, and several conventions I like to hit are 12 hour drives. Then there's school or work, playing between classes, or if your job permits during slow periods. Bus rides, car rides, shopping with the girlfriend  :lol: and all sorts of stuff like that. It adds up. Then there's the fact that no matter how hard you try, you're not going to recharge the thing every single day, and you're going to run out the door, and find yourself with a dead PSP on your bus ride to school/work, or on your lunch break, or whenever it is you play.

I totally agree, between all the coke and hookers in my life I often forget to recharge my electronics. I recharge my digital camera about once a month, so I'm quite thankful for it's longevity. It's easy to say that 4-6 hours is "enough" but people forget, you get stuck on long plane trips or in traffic or whatever. It's nice to have the extra time.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great if the battery would last longer... but I don't forget to charge my cell or my SP, I doubt I'd forget to charge my PSP. For car trips, I'm sure they'll sell a cigarette lighter adaptor. And for a 12 hour flight (and seriously, how often do any of us go on 12 hour flgihts?), like Dangard Ace said, you're probably going to sleep for some of that. There's seriously no way you'd want to play a videogame for 12 hours straight. (And, if you're watching MPEG-4 or listening to tunes off the memory stick, the battery life is much longer.) Sorry, but for a few unusual cases, yes, longer battery life would be great, but 4-6 hours is workable. There's got to be a much bigger issue than the battery life to turn me off of the PSP.

As for the dead pixels, yeah, Nintendo was taking them back, and yeah, Sony wasn't. But, SCEA's policy might be different than SCEI's, for starters. But in any case, who returns things to the manufacturer anyway? If you have a dead pixel, it's going to take you less than a week to figure it out. Take it back to the store where you bought it.

• 2 weeks later...
Pricing for the UMD movies has been announced <_<

and House of Flying Daggers will be released on UMD

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/16/news_6118718.html

$19.99-$28.95 price range established for UMD movies; Zhang Yimou's kung-fu adventure becomes the seventh film confirmed for the format.

A shame, but I really think UMD is going to flop as a medium for anything besides games. The UMD doesn't store enough data for movies to have DVD quality video or sound, the PSP's battery life is only about 2 hours when playing a movie, due to the fact that it's constantly accessing the disc, and if nothing else, I really don't see anyone shelling out $20 to buy a movie on UMB that they already shelled out $20 for on DVD. As psyched as I am for the PSP as a gaming unit, even I have to admit that Sony is out of their minds with the whole movies on UMD thing.

I've pre-ordered my PSP Monday, I still got another 150 dollars to go before its completely paid off, but still I got mine on order...course the only game I reserved for it is Need for Speed...I really don't want spiderman, and I sure as hell wasn't interested in a bundle cause I like to buy what I want...

I also bought a DS yesterday...no games though, so I've really been bored with that Metroid demo...blah. However Gundam Seed is coming out for the DS in 2 weeks so I'll atleast have 1 game for the DS and I hope I have alot more for the PSP as time wears on.

UMD's though...I really can't say much since I don't know alot of info towards them, but it seems useless making movies in UMD format when you can just go buy them as DVD's......except FFVII AC....

I think UMD might of had a chance if you could plug the PSP to your tv and watch movies that way, so that you don't have to buy movies twice so you can see with your DVD player/TV.

But buying a movie just to watch on the PSP, is gonna be a tough sale.

I think UMD might of had a chance if you could plug the PSP to your tv and watch movies that way, so that you don't have to buy movies twice so you can see with your DVD player/TV.

Ideally, I think Sony would have been better off approaching UMD the way they did with mini-discs... make them blank, and sell the software/hardware to take video you already have (like DVD or even avi etc) and put it on a UMD to watch on a PSP later.

Of course, since the PSP is likely to increase demand and lower the cost of Memory Stick Duo, you'd kind of have to wonder why they'd even bother with movies on UMD at all. The PSP already supports the playback of MPEG-4 off the Memory Stick... why not just take all the fansubbed anime we've been getting via bittorrent, change it over to MPEG-4, and watch it on our lunch breaks at work instead of being chained to our computer desks? When the PSP first comes out, a 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro will go for around $150. A UMD can only hold a gig and a half, anyway.

Ideally, I think Sony would have been better off approaching UMD the way they did with mini-discs... make them blank, and sell the software/hardware to take video you already have (like DVD or even avi etc) and put it on a UMD to watch on a PSP later.

Of course, since the PSP is likely to increase demand and lower the cost of Memory Stick Duo, you'd kind of have to wonder why they'd even bother with movies on UMD at all. The PSP already supports the playback of MPEG-4 off the Memory Stick... why not just take all the fansubbed anime we've been getting via bittorrent, change it over to MPEG-4, and watch it on our lunch breaks at work instead of being chained to our computer desks? When the PSP first comes out, a 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro will go for around $150. A UMD can only hold a gig and a half, anyway.

That's a cool idea. I like that.

I probably won't buy a PSP come launch. Need to save money for other games(Dynasty Warriors 5, Red Ninja, Devil May Cry 3) and a widescreen HDTV.

I also heard rumors that the value pack is only going to be sold at launch. Once they are gone, thats it for the value pack. Then the PSP will be sold by itself without the accessories.

interesting psp is delayed for the eurpean release.

Till when? It was the end of March wasn't it? I want my copy of Wipeout Pure! :( (Actually I just want some games in English, took me about an hour to figure Mina no Golf out)

I'm kind of dissapointed by the selection of games the PSP is going to have upon its first release in the states......I really don't wanna get Need for Speed for it but I find it better then playing Spiderman 2 or Metal Gear so I hope more games will come out for it that'll broden the interest of Mecha fans like myself, and no I don't like playing Armored Core.

When the PSP first comes out, a 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro will go for around $150.  A UMD can only hold a gig and a half, anyway.

Which is still quite a bit, considering that 1GB CF and SD go for around $60 nowadays. Isn't proprietary media grand? <_<

Don't worry, there's always 3rd party support.

When the PSP first comes out, a 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro will go for around $150.  A UMD can only hold a gig and a half, anyway.

Which is still quite a bit, considering that 1GB CF and SD go for around $60 nowadays. Isn't proprietary media grand? <_<

Er, or not. The problem with the Sony Memory Sticks is that Sony (as far as I know) is the only company that makes them, meaning that they'll always be more expensive.

Till when? It was the end of March wasn't it? I want my copy of Wipeout Pure! :( (Actually I just want some games in English, took me about an hour to figure Mina no Golf out)

rumors saying april to june for eu release.

rumors saying april to june for eu release.

Why the heck has this happened? :ph34r:

I'm kind of dissapointed by the selection of games the PSP is going to have upon its first release in the states......I really don't wanna get Need for Speed for it but I find it better then playing Spiderman 2 or Metal Gear so I hope more games will come out for it that'll broden the interest of Mecha fans like myself, and no I don't like playing Armored Core.

If Sony follows through with what they've been saying, and games aren't region coded, I'm sure that even if they don't get released Stateside, there will be a ton of mecha games out to import later.

Er, or not. The problem with the Sony Memory Sticks is that Sony (as far as I know) is the only company that makes them, meaning that they'll always be more expensive.

Okay, let's not make stuff up just to bash Sony.

PNY Compact Flash 1GB - $179.99

SanDisk CF 1GB - $109.99

SanDisk SD 1GB - $109.99

And while Sony is often the seen as the driving force behind the Memory Stick... it's actually SanDisk's baby.

SanDisk 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo - $149.99.

So, CF and SD look to run anywhere from $110-$180 for a GB, not $60. And that puts $149.99 in the same ballpark for a 1GB Memory Stick Duo. And yes, I am pretty sure that you could, if you search, find SD or CF cheaper, but you'd probably find Memory Sticks cheaper at the same store/website. I just picked for my links big retailers where your average Joe-Schmoe might go to buy their stuff.

And while we're at it, I'd point out that DVDs weren't really taking off, especially in Japan, until Sony decided to use it for the PS2. If the PSP takes off, it'll give the Memory Stick a slight edge in the flash media format wars, increase the demand, and likely bring prices down further.

SanDisk CF 1GB - $109.99

SanDisk SD 1GB - $109.99

And while Sony is often the seen as the driving force behind the Memory Stick... it's actually SanDisk's baby.

So, CF and SD look to run anywhere from $110-$180 for a GB, not $60. And that puts $149.99 in the same ballpark for a 1GB Memory Stick Duo. And yes, I am pretty sure that you could, if you search, find SD or CF cheaper, but you'd probably find Memory Sticks cheaper at the same store/website. I just picked for my links big retailers where your average Joe-Schmoe might go to buy their stuff.

And while we're at it, I'd point out that DVDs weren't really taking off, especially in Japan, until Sony decided to use it for the PS2. If the PSP takes off, it'll give the Memory Stick a slight edge in the flash media format wars, increase the demand, and likely bring prices down further.

umm think they said the psp can only use duo mem sticks and not anything else.

That would be fantastic! If games aren't regional coded then if 1 day Macross goes to the PSP, we'd all be able to get it without freaking out over moding or buying things to get it working...but its SONY...they're the devil :p

I'm actually a Need for Speed nut after they went Underground. I heard you'll be able to draw custom vynl or something. Or was that on the DS...?

Right now that's the ONLY game I got on reserve with my PSP...and I've been playing the hell out of my DS and I got 3 I think 3 atleast...yep 3, dead pixels on the touch screen. Now if it only happens to the touch screen I'm not mad.

But honestly I can't wait for the PSP, but I'm the only guy I know out of all my friends who is going to own one. But I'm sure I'll find 1 or 2 ppl in Seattle in April for Sakura Con, plus I'll have my DS...but I'll be doing alot of other stuff.

Something I've noticed though both companies are recycling old games GC, 64, PS, PS2 and putting them on the hand helds...I hope we don't see more of this cause that's a bit annoying.

SanDisk CF 1GB - $109.99

SanDisk SD 1GB - $109.99

if you look at www.pricewatch.com there is one generic 1gb sd for $68 (price is $63 + shipping $5)