New Robotech Series

GodMedia

Only 5 people? LOL! :rolleyes:

I don't come here for the Macross crowd. I come here to hang out with Mospeada, Orguss and SC guys in the "other" forum.

Robotech is not my cup of tea. I don't think it is to most of the people posting in this thread either......... I think it is too bad that the people who do care can't have a discussion without having to argue with the people who don't really care.

If they want to use those designs, fine. I know what the real Mospeada and SC are about. B))

Maybe if the show goes over well, I can "rip away the Robotech packaging and have some cool Mospeada and SC toys to play with." B))

If they want to use those designs, fine. I know what the real Mospeada and SC are about.

Funny enough, Tommy Yune didn't deny in chat that Shadow Chronicles would be recut in Japan as a different anime series...maybe a sequel to Mospeada. He didn't confirm it, but did say it would make sense from a financial stand point. So its possible that all the Mospeada fans will have a new show.

Thanks to Darkwater over at the RDF HQ MB. He transcribed this from the latest Newtype USA.

However this time we get captions for the artwork. =) We get two drawings of Dr. Louis Nichols (with notes of him being a commander) and the Android JANICE. One of a beta with a Synchro cannon on it, it’s from back view. An illustration of Space Station Liberty with a giant Shadow force logo on it. The logo looks like its part of the design of the station and not painted on. And two of drawings are of ships one is only noted as a scientific recon vessel and the other is of a Horizon V.

It’s does name some names on who is returning and I bet there are more, so far we knew that Lieutenant Commander Scott Bernard ( Hope they promote him) was in but we have now confirmed that , Dr. Louis Nichols, Ariel, And this last one was a surprise with Captain Vince Grant of the Robotech II Sentinels fame showing up.

As for the story it says it’s going to go into how the Expeditionary Force got all their Robotechnology and how that somehow connectes to events in Shadow Chronicles

besides, most people bitching about it, Hate robotech and aren't even going to watch the new series, so who cares what they think. :rolleyes:

Oh I am going to watch it so I can roll on the floor and laugh at RT fans.

And if it doesn't make your eyes bleed or ears implode?

Then I will tell the entire board that it rules. And I will let you feel my muscles.

I myself would rather see them make up a brand new fourth storyline with unique units and characters with only minor ties to the previous parts... you know, follow in the "established tradition" of Robotech. Their attempts to tie everything together will just get weird if you ask me. I'd rather see a new saga with new good guys, new enemies and new mecha.

But that takes effort. <_<

Not necessarily. Like I mentioned in the OTHER shadow force thread -- YUKIKAZE!! Yay! Just re-cut and re-dub that.

As for the re-edit as a Mospeada sequel.. I don't like the sounds of that. It'll be just like Macross II and Orguss II... Sequels where the original staff have little to no imput rarely succeed.

Sequels where the original staff have little to no imput rarely succeed.

Except, thats right. Kenji Terada was hired as a consultant.

Who's he? Mospeada Guy?

Well, in that case, great. Maybe if they do end up making Mospeada 2, they'll dust off the original series from the shelf, too, like they did with Gunbuster. Except I hope Mop-2 doesn't turn out like Top-2. Hehe.

I'm not arguing for or against any of the ship designs. I just wanted to point out that Cory's premise was flawed. But his argument was more than likely a backhanded critique on Macross Zero anyway, which I'm sure in his eyes is an example of "flawed" continuity and needless retcons.

Actually, it was a backhanded attack on ALL shows that do that, not just Macross Zero.

Possibly the worst offender of this in my book is Star Trek. Every time they put out a new show, they get a new ship (which is perfectly understandable), but they also redesign almost everything else. Uniforms, shuttlepods, hallways, various rooms within the ships, etc. All for the sake of just being able to do that. That royally irritates me to no end. I mean, the ONLY consistant uniform seen in any Trek show is in the TOS movies. Otherwise, a uniform lasts only once per show (or even less, depending on how many times they redesign it). The same applies to the bridges, science labs, holodecks, shuttles... it never seems to end.

And you're right about those nozzels looking pretty silly. But that's how the ship was designed in the original show, for whatever reason, and I'm really glad they're keeping it that way in the new show.

I'm not arguing for or against any of the ship designs. I just wanted to point out that Cory's premise was flawed. But his argument was more than likely a backhanded critique on Macross Zero anyway, which I'm sure in his eyes is an example of "flawed" continuity and needless retcons.

Actually, it was a backhanded attack on ALL shows that do that, not just Macross Zero.

Possibly the worst offender of this in my book is Star Trek. Every time they put out a new show, they get a new ship (which is perfectly understandable), but they also redesign almost everything else. Uniforms, shuttlepods, hallways, various rooms within the ships, etc. All for the sake of just being able to do that. That royally irritates me to no end. I mean, the ONLY consistant uniform seen in any Trek show is in the TOS movies. Otherwise, a uniform lasts only once per show (or even less, depending on how many times they redesign it). The same applies to the bridges, science labs, holodecks, shuttles... it never seems to end.

And you're right about those nozzels looking pretty silly. But that's how the ship was designed in the original show, for whatever reason, and I'm really glad they're keeping it that way in the new show.

Actually, Deep Space Nine started with the curent style of Next Gen uniforms(black with colored shoulder area, the inverse of the original Next Gen uniform).

And Voyager started with the then-current DS9 uniforms(which were still black with coulored shoulders). And kept them through the whole series.

Next Gen redesigned uniforms once. Likely because the colored suits were ugly.

DS9 redesigned once, too, if I recall. When they started the Dominion War story arc, they introduced uniforms that were supposed to look more military.

As for the technology facelifts...

Yiou have to remember that the Voyager is something like a decade newer than the Enterprise D, AND built as more of a combat vessel than a flying science lab. It's quite entitled to a visual overhaul.

DS9 wasn't even built by the Federation, so it's automatically exempt.

And the Defiant was explicitly built as a Borg killer. Again, it's allowed to look diffrent than the Enterprise D.

Voyager's diffrences from the Defiant can be covered by argiuing that the Defiant's design style didn't become standard because it was never introduced into proper service.

But really, this is a series that can't even maintain continuity from one episode to the next, much less one series to the next. There's better things to pick on than the odd redesigns of sets and props to change the aesthetic.

Speaking of continuity... how does Robotech II fit in? I watched all the robotech series but never layed my eyes on RT II... when does it take place?? I thought it was supposed to be after new generation.

Thanks,

Tico

It was immediatly before it.

Robotech 2: The Sentinels was to deal with what happened to Rick Hunter and company after they left Earth aboard the SDF-3. It would've taken place concurently with the Southern Cross segment, actually, and ,unless I'm mistaken, ended with the beginning of the MOSPEADA portion.

And if it doesn't make your eyes bleed or ears implode?

Then I will tell the entire board that it rules. And I will let you feel my muscles.

Will you autograph our doorknobs as well? :p

Sure.

Just post your address.

Actually, Deep Space Nine started with the curent style of Next Gen uniforms(black with colored shoulder area, the inverse of the original Next Gen uniform). 

And Voyager started with the then-current DS9 uniforms(which were still black with coulored shoulders). And kept them through the whole series.

Next Gen redesigned uniforms once. Likely because the colored suits were ugly.

DS9 redesigned once, too, if I recall. When they started the Dominion War story arc, they introduced uniforms that were supposed to look more military.

What he said. You also should remember that the TOS movie essentially stayed the same from Wraith of Khan to the Undiscovered Country. As referred to in other ST:TNG episodes, characters like Picard also wore that style of uniform when they were younger.

As for the technology facelifts...

Yiou have to remember that the Voyager is something like a decade newer than the Enterprise D, AND built as more of a combat vessel than a flying science lab. It's quite entitled to a visual overhaul.

DS9 wasn't even built by the Federation, so it's automatically exempt.

And the Defiant was explicitly built as a Borg killer. Again, it's allowed to look diffrent than the Enterprise D.

Voyager's diffrences from the Defiant can be covered by argiuing that the Defiant's design style didn't become standard because it  was never introduced into proper service.

But really, this is a series that can't even maintain continuity from one episode to the next, much less one series to the next. There's better things to pick on than the odd redesigns of sets and props to change the aesthetic.

As to the various ship types, show creators will obviously want different looks to get people interested in the show instead of seeing the same design. You also have to account how the ships were used in each series.

Ships like the Enterprises (NCC-1701, A, B, C, D and E) and Excelsior generally serve as a kind of jack of all trade ships or workhorses as cruisers doing exploration, defense and other types of missions. Ships like the Reliant, Defiant, Oberth and Vovager represent more mission specifc designs. Defiant class ships have specifications. Oberth ships tend to focus on scientific exploration.

So to bring this analogy full circle, if you apply this to Robotech you'd see that things like the "rocket nozzles" on the orignal ships were, and still are, outlandish and silly. Which, I believe, was ComiKaze's point to begin with. Ie, there's nothing even remotely "period correct" about Robotech in its original form, or the sequel.

Replace "Robotech" with "Mospeda" and that about sums it up. This bit of silliness is one inherited, and isn't one of its own creation. If we're gonna disparage this bit, let's disparage it and put full fault on the Japanese parent anime series it actually comes from. Robotech's got plenty of other silliness that it's fully responsible for.

-Al

On the whole "cone thingies out the back" thing in Robotech:

Um...been a while sense I've seen the RT series, but wasn't it about the uber powersource known as protoculture? (I know what it is in Macross, no need to point that out...strictly talking RT here)

Isn't that why they are fighting...over a limited power resource, the supply of which has continuly dwindled during decades of war...and then you get to the new generation, fighting the invid. whom have very few large ships, thier strength seems to be in thier smaller fighting craft, troopers, etc..

as such the humans would naturaly put thier limited supply of protoculture to good use in fueling thier own fighters, cyclones, etc...while the larger ships, without compareable invid opposition...could successfuly use older, more abundant, technology...

I'm no big RT fan, actualy don't really care to much for this new show either...but in real life, even in our jet engine and nuclear powered military age...we still have prop powered airplanes, and diesel engined ships.

Blah!...its just RT after all :p

Um...been a while sense I've seen the RT series, but wasn't it about the uber powersource known as protoculture? (I know what it is in Macross, no need to point that out...strictly talking RT here)

Isn't that why they are fighting...over a limited power resource, the supply of which has continuly dwindled during decades of war...and then you get to the new generation, fighting the invid. whom have very few large ships, thier strength seems to be in thier smaller fighting craft, troopers, etc..

as such the humans would naturaly put thier limited supply of protoculture to good use in fueling thier own fighters, cyclones, etc...while the larger ships, without compareable invid opposition...could successfuly use older, more abundant, technology...

Cuz....leik....Protoculture's all magical an stuff. So...so...stfu! :lol:

Sorry, that's the best I could do. I'm sure somebody will correct us, but it does seem a little silly. Then again, I remember enjoying the McKinney books, so even if I was an RT fan I'd be in an outcast.

Cuz....leik....Protoculture's all magical an stuff. So...so...stfu! :lol:

Sorry, that's the best I could do. I'm sure somebody will correct us, but it does seem a little silly. Then again, I remember enjoying the McKinney books, so even if I was an RT fan I'd be in an outcast.

Yeah...magical stuff, this protoculture :p

But in the context of RT:

New generation opens with Scott and company returning to win back earth, right?...In RT continuity the invid have sensors that can pick up the active useage of protoculture.

stratigicly speaking, if the human ships came across the solar system powered by magical protoculture, the invid would have "seen" them comeing miles away...and had much more time to set up defenses on the moon, mars, etc...but they don't, the invid don't detect the humans until they are within Earth orbit.

Still the Earth forces got a beat down, but they could have gotten a worse one if the invid "saw" them comeing sooner...so useing old tech, in effect, allowed the humans to perform a sneak attack of sorts...

In a way, it does make logical sense, given the RT storyline, to use such old tech to power the large ships.

Problem is that Invid sensors don't work over interplanatary distances. The only thing that comes close is their Sensor Nebula, but that's only good for large amounts of the Flower of Life, though it's never been said if it can detect active Protoculture use, such as in mecha and ships.

However, once they DO see you, you'd better hope that you can run very, very fast, since they're not just gonna let you walk away in their holy rage :p

Problem is that Invid sensors don't work over interplanatary distances. The only thing that comes close is their Sensor Nebula, but that's only good for large amounts of the Flower of Life, though it's never been said if it can detect active Protoculture use, such as in mecha and ships.

However, once they DO see you, you'd better hope that you can run very, very fast, since they're not just gonna let you walk away in their holy rage :p

I don't think any of that is true anymore... That is Sentinels stuff which has been abandonded. When talking about Robotech you have to remember that parts of it have now been thrown away, so they can do something else with it.

Problem is that Invid sensors don't work over interplanatary distances.  The only thing that comes close is their Sensor Nebula, but that's only good for large amounts of the Flower of Life, though it's never been said if it can detect active Protoculture use, such as in mecha and ships.

I don't think any of that is true anymore... That is Sentinels stuff which has been abandonded. When talking about Robotech you have to remember that parts of it have now been thrown away, so they can do something else with it.

None of that comes from the Sentinels. It all comes from what's seen/stated in the actual show.

Problem is that Invid sensors don't work over interplanatary distances.  The only thing that comes close is their Sensor Nebula, but that's only good for large amounts of the Flower of Life, though it's never been said if it can detect active Protoculture use, such as in mecha and ships.

None of that comes from the Sentinels. It all comes from what's seen/stated in the actual show.

I think some of that is changed too.

I don't think any of that is true anymore... That is Sentinels stuff which has been abandonded.  When talking about Robotech you have to remember that parts of it have now been thrown away, so they can do something else with it.

Sorry, no. Cory Holmes is right. The Sensor Nebula detects the presence of the Flower of Life, though the UEF thought otherwise. Scott's Horizon commander made a statement that the Invid moved to retrieve a large supply of active protoculture on Earth. In the Tv series, they don't connect the Flower with Protoculture just yet. The new comics from Wildstorm got that part wrong.

As for Invid sensors, its a moot point anyway. They didn't react to the 21st Mars Division's entry attempt until Low Earth Orbit in The Invid Invasion. We see why later in Symphony of Light as the REF stays at stand-off range and pretty well scrags any Invid carrier that reaches above LEO.

Edit: Courtesy of the folks at RDF HQ Message Board. From the latest issue of Newtype USA.

There isnt one of Space Station Liberty...but it was revealed that it was based on the Robotech Repair Factory from The Sentinels. Thats no surprise to me....all things considered since I had known that for a long time.

post-26-1099106236_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Holy cow, Louis with a cape? I liked his nerdy nature.

The other mechs look cool, these are official?

Well...Louie would be about 35 at this point....so its potentially possible that he changed somewhat over time. Maybe he started lifting weights? ;) The cape is the only throwback to Southern Cross...at least there was that. This particular one is based on the overcoat worn by Leonard in The Sentinels which was in turn based on the Southern Cross formal uniform from This is Animation Special #10: The Southern Cross.

As for the designs, they are supposedly right from the Newtype USA November '04 issue. I really like the design for the Horizon-V. Looks beefy enough to actually carry more cargo and troops planetside.