Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs DVD

ComicKaze

Yes! I know I'm the only fanatic in all the world that gives a damn about this but this (and a girlfriend) are the only things I need to make my life complete.

I just got my Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs release on DVD vol. 1 with 4 episodes on it. It's a UK release, the only other releases are the German one by Anime House which is selling pretty amazingly reportedly. This is probably being sold as a children's home video in the UK instead of a strictly anime release (as the German release is) so it's not really that great quality unfortunately. The framerate isn't so great, but then again, that is probably the original animation. This is afterall, a 52-episode weekday animation from 1984 (by Studio Pierrot!).

Any fans of this series here? It's my favorite anime of ALL time.

Okay, 57 screenshots I painstakingly made! Bwahaha, you know you're obsessed when...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

21.jpg

In this scene where you first see Nemesis (the evil, black robbed, cybernetic skulled, villain with the voice of Optimus Prime aka Peter Cullen) addressing Gattler about his failure and he says: "Do you think I don't know every move you make? Every step you take, I'm watching you". hahahaa! (Hey, this is the 80s)

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Sweet! I remember it airing waaaaaay back in the day, along with Spiral Zone, Galaxy Rangers, and Macron-1 (Goshogun). Only thing was they would air them at odd hours, change the schedules, and hardly promote them, so no one I knew really got into them...

I remember waking up early on Sunday morning to watch the first episode to see if the show was any good.

I wound up making three six-hour tapes of the show, but they never repeated the first freakin' episode!

As for the show itself, I was very impressed by the wild-west-in-space idea. Very original for the time and it came across well. I've always been less than impressed with the Super Sentai bits of the show, such as the ship and the Monster of the Week syndrome. I always felt they dragged the show down.

EDIT:

On the plus side, those screenies look very impressive. The colours are bright and vibrant, and it looks pretty crisp. How is the DVD itself?

Edited by CoryHolmes

The colors and quality are somewhat improved by my image processing but that's also because I'm running the vob files right off through media player. It'll look better on sets with picture controls set right.

Like I said, the Anchor Bay Entertainment set from the UK is a low budget one, probably marketed to children. Only cost me 6 pounds but I would pay a fortune for this.

Yes, the robot of the week sentai elements do get a little tiring but there is a broad story arc in the series...and it is pretty gripping.

It's more toned down in Saber Rider than in Sei Juishi Bismarck, but it's still there. The Outriders capture the human commander and fool the humans into believing they are an offshoot of the same species (Humans and Zentradi anyone?) and sign a truce pact only to betray the humans and crush their military. There is also Jesse Blue, the most promising and talented cadet at the academy who is full of ambition but too much hubris who falls in love and has his heart broken, so he betrays humanity and joins the Outriders. It all comes together in the end in some pretty epic battles.

The animation quality and music and yes, the English voice acting are what made me love this series. Fantastic acting that makes you wonder why Anime dubs have sucked so much since and especially nowadays.

There were toys created by Bandai for Sei Juishi Bismarck but they were only sold in Japan. 15 years ago, I had to opportunity to purchase the large Bismarck (Ramrod) transforming ship toy in a Used Toy Shop for $40 but I foolishly purchased a boxed Optimus Prime instead. We all know that Prime is a dime a dozen, but Bismarck is a rare gem.

There is a German set that is more properly marketed as an anime item, but then again, Saber Rider was HUGELY popular in German for some reason and sales have been good.

http://www.anime-house.de/releases/

Then there is the Japanese set which I've only been able to find for something clost to $600 which is ridiculous but the only way to see the original Bismarck.

Box3.jpg

Box2.jpg

Sadly, I think the Anchor Bay Entertainment DVD I got has the episodes out of order.

Edited by ComicKaze

I remember loving the armour designs for each of the characters. Normally I hate stuff like that, but in this case, I couldn't get enough of it.

I especially loved the cowboy hat for Colt's armour. Sort of like knights of the old, each had his or her armour designed for them and them alone. That was pretty darned cool, I say.

Frankly speaking, I always thought the Ramrod robot design/ transformation sequence is dodgy at best, but the ship mode is nice.

It's one of those early animes that had a sembalance of story arc in it (rather than a monster-of-the-week series), but it honestly got derailed several times by long excursions to side-plots.

What's fascinating is that the entire story arc of Jesse being a cadet who falls in love with April and turns to the Outriders because of rejection and hubris doesn't exists in the Japanese series! At first I was confused when I read that Jesse was just an evil alien and had little interaction in the original series because there could be no explaining the animation of him trying to force April at the reception or trying to save her in the end.

The American series actually has more backstory and character driven plot than the original show (Sei Juishi Bismark). If you pay attention, the episodes that feature Jesse as a cadet (and a few others) are animated by a different studio and reportedly, WEP paid to have these episodes made just for Saber Rider to flesh out the story and to change the dimensions of it.

In the original anime, Jesse Blue was called Perios and was never human. He began the series as a Deathcula commander all along (evil vampiric alien race) and never attended the academy and the sequence of him meeting April, getting rejected, getting suspended and quitting the academy, commandeering captured Outrider craft then attaching a bomb to Ramrod, and finally trying to save April's life but is humiliated by Saber Rider doesn't happen.

I've heard of American companies butchering animes with edits, dubbing, and airbrushing to make them fit plots, but there's no way WEP could have managled any amount of episodes to create two entire episodes around those themes so they made their own episodes, with great animation! That's first I believe.

That Bismark (Ramrod) is the miniature, non-transforming version. There is a larger one that is fully transformable. There are also toys of the characters and vehicles (Colt's Bronco Buster aka Billy Cox's Arrow) and horses (Steed).

http://www.yuma-city.de/merchandising/figuren/index.htm

Unfortunately, the toys deviate a lot from the show and are hallmark early 80s Japanese robot toys. But as you can see from the toy, the transformation sequence is quite plausible, if only Bandai had used better proportions.

Edited by ComicKaze

Since I live in the UK, I already knew about this DVD...and passed on it! Since the show (like quite a lot of classic 70s/80s anime) is basically an unknown quantity in the UK, there's no chance that all 52 episodes will ever be released over here (although it would be nice :)).

Since WEP have been busy in actually licensing the show in other countries, rather than just sitting on the rights completely, and given the fact that they have announced a major Voltron DVD release for 2005, I personally think the chances are good for a R1 release of Saber Rider.

And naturally, any R1 release of Saber Rider would be bound to consist of more episodes (maybe even all 52) than the sole UK DVD!

Saber Rider! B))

Have one VHS with just one episode on it, "Oh, Boy! Dinosaurs!". But that's all I found so far. :(

Back in the day, my parent's house had a cult following of the shows, including my older sister and mom! They got into it as much as my two younger brothers and myself. My dad didn't really join us, but he tolerated it.

Ahhh, those pics, bring back good memories. :D

Since WEP have been busy in actually licensing the show in other countries, rather than just sitting on the rights completely, and given the fact that they have announced a major Voltron DVD release for 2005, I personally think the chances are good for a R1 release of Saber Rider.

And naturally, any R1 release of Saber Rider would be bound to consist of more episodes (maybe even all 52) than the sole UK DVD!

:blink: What?! Voltron's coming out on DVD?! This is the first time I heard this. Is this the original anime, or is it that crappy 3D Voltron? :huh:

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes: I found the website with answers for my tons of questions. :D

And to think we were discussing terrible cartoons in the other thread. I can't believe you guys actually liked the US crapfest version we got (thanks to censoring, bad editing and trying to focus the show on Tex when he wasn't even the main character). I wonder if anyone still has those badges the US toys came with.

21.jpg

In this scene where you first see Nemesis (the evil, black robbed, cybernetic skulled, villain with the voice of Optimus Prime aka Peter Cullen) addressing Gattler about his failure and he says: "Do you think I don't know every move you make? Every step you take, I'm watching you".  hahahaa! (Hey, this is the 80s)

Wait a minute... are you telling me that Nemisis and Ramrod had the same voice??? weird...

and you are not alone... how many people on AA identified themselves as fans in your thread there... sheesh. I being one of them.

Now we just need a crossover where Nemisis, Ramrod, Iron Hide and Prime all sit down and have a conversation.

Yes I know the only thing Ramrod can say is "Acknowledged April, Ramrod initiating Challange phase, power stride and ready to ride" but I'm sure you could work those phrases into a conversation some how.

Edited by lord_breetai

What's fascinating is that the entire story arc of Jesse being a cadet who falls in love with April and turns to the Outriders because of rejection and hubris doesn't exists in the Japanese series! At first I was confused when I read that Jesse was just an evil alien and had little interaction in the original series because there could be no explaining the animation of him trying to force April at the reception or trying to save her in the end.

The American series actually has more backstory and character driven plot than the original show (Sei Juishi Bismark). If you pay attention, the episodes that feature Jesse as a cadet (and a few others) are animated by a different studio and reportedly, WEP paid to have these episodes made just for Saber Rider to flesh out the story and to change the dimensions of it.

In the original anime, Jesse Blue was called Perios and was never human. He began the series as a Deathcula commander all along (evil vampiric alien race) and never attended the academy and the sequence of him meeting April, getting rejected, getting suspended and quitting the academy, commandeering captured Outrider craft then attaching a bomb to Ramrod, and finally trying to save April's life but is humiliated by Saber Rider doesn't happen.

I've heard of American companies butchering animes with edits, dubbing, and airbrushing to make them fit plots, but there's no way WEP could have managled any amount of episodes to create two entire episodes around those themes so they made their own episodes, with great animation! That's first I believe.

Interesting. I had always assumed Saber Rider was edited for content, but I never dreamed that there'd be new animation. :o

:blink: What?! Voltron's coming out on DVD?! This is the first time I heard this. Is this the original anime, or is it that crappy 3D Voltron? :huh:

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes: I found the website with answers for my tons of questions. :D

Yeah. :) Its already out in Australia and the UK(though there was a mix up on the dvds there I believe. Instead of the first 4 Lion episodes, the Vehicle Voltron episodes were on the disc). The first Lion Voltron boxset was released in Australia a few weeks ago. I just how a US release happens soon.

I also think its great that WEP actually has been out there pushing their shows and not just sitting still on the rights to those shows.

• 1 year later...

Which retard decided to put Episode 2 & 3 on Disc 2 and which "FANS" decided these were the top 10?

Disc 1

1. Star Sheriff Roundup - Episode 1

2. Sole Survivor - Ep.19

3. Famous Last Words - Ep.22

4. Sharpshooter - Ep. 23

5. The Monarch Supreme - Ep.24

Disc 2

6. Calvary Command - Ep.2

7. Jesse's Revenge - Ep.3

8.Jesse Blue - Ep.15

9.Bad Day at Dry Gulch - Ep. 31

10. Happy Trails - Ep. 52

Maybe they're testing the waters for a full-blown, complete series release? Anyway, I'd only be interested in seeing this again if the original unedited Bismark was included. Saber Rider was ok 15 years ago, but I can't imagine myself being that entertained by theStar Sherrifs' bloodless do-gooding today.