Gaincorp 1/72 diecast F/A-22

Dobber

Hey everybody, Gaincorp just released this 1/72 Raptor. Gaincorps quality isn't too bad, I own a Su-35 from them, hope the Raptor is good I'm waiting for it to be delivered. Sorry can't post a picture, but you can check them out at flyingmule.com.

Chris

I like the Gaincorp line, but can't stand their super/sea flankers for two majors reasons: 1) except for the Su-34 the LERX are all wrong, they look like they just made a quick add on peice of the enlarged LERX and canard. As a result the LERX is too thin and just looks cheesy. 2) again except for the Su-34 the tail boom is wrong. This is not as evident on super flanker, but the Sea flanker is suppossed to have a truncated slightly upward angled tail boom. Other then that they are very nice, but if I am going to spend that kind of money on a model I want at least the major features to be much more accurate then that,

I believe that the Sea Flankers are already out. I think there are 3 versions of it. Yup I got the 35. I saw it available on Flying mule and talked my wife into letting me get it because it is so hard to get ahold of! :p

Chris

They've retooled bits before. I swear they actually release planes, then read all the message boards to see what's wrong, then release the corrected version 2.

Of course, I may just pass everything up for the new 1/32 Trumpeter kit, and make it in Ukranian demo colors--still the coolest Flanker scheme ever IMHO. Of course, I'd have to actually build and paint it, and thus wouldn't have a Flanker on display until like 2008...

The paint scheme on the F-22 looks kinda off, the grey colors contrast too heavily, but maybe its just the camera.

And yes, the Su-35 is a gem despite some flaws. My only big gripe with Gaincorp is the static landing gear, it can't be displayed with the gear up. Their JSDF F-15 isn't too bad either, but I like Dragon's Strike Eagle even more.

The paint scheme on the F-22 looks kinda off, the grey colors contrast too heavily, but maybe its just the camera.

And yes, the Su-35 is a gem despite some flaws. My only big gripe with Gaincorp is the static landing gear, it can't be displayed with the gear up.  Their JSDF F-15 isn't too bad either, but I like Dragon's Strike Eagle even more.

Damn, my next question was gonna be: "Can the Gaincorp F/A-22 be displayed gear up"?

I guess the answer is no then. Gaincorp should take a leaf out of Corgi's book as all their Aviation Archive planes can be displayed either gear up or down.

Oh well, that's the deal breaker for me then. No gear up on the F/A-22, then Gaincorp ain't getting my money.

Now if Gaincorp made a Eurofigter Typhoon or YF-23 that might be another story, even if they were only gear down.

And damn it, as I've mentioned before. I still want Dragon to team up with Hasegawa to release diecast, prepainted 1/72 VF-0 and SV-51 fighters!

Graham

David, what did Dragon do wrong with the Strike Eagle? Anything major?

In short.

No sensor pod.

No pylons on the CFTs. ***

*** Biggest difference between a F-15D and a E(strike) was the pylons to carry all the exploding bits.

If they had fitted the pylons correctly and put some bombs with the box it would have been one of the greatest die-casts ever released. But too bad.

Can't wait to see the pcitures. I like the Gaincorp line, their SU-27 is great don't get me wrong but that whole LERX issue on the Canarded flankers just bugs me to no end, kind of like all the early MiG-29 toy's models that got the front end all wrong.

Yup, no pylons on the CFT's. WTF? How is the STRIKE Eagle supposed to carry bombs without any plyons? That's the entire point of its existence. Did Dragon think the F-15E just magically carries its bombs on the sides of the CFT's?

Now, the LANTIRN pods aren't absolutely required for an E, but they're there 95% of the time. The only scheme they've done so far however is one that could certainly be ok to not have them.

And no, the CFT's are not correct for a C/D either. They're utterly smooth and round on the "corners". There's no Sparrow/AMRAAM mounts/pylons. They *might* be correct for the prototype CFT, but not for any CFT actually used.

Finally--the model doesn't come with any bombs. And no drop tanks.

In short.

No sensor pod.

*** Biggest difference between a F-15D and a E(strike) was the pylons to carry all the exploding bits.

If they had fitted the pylons correctly and put some bombs with the box it would have been one of the greatest die-casts ever released. But too bad.

I see. Damn, and I thought just buying those extra bomb packs would fix everything. But drop tanks would've been awesome.

BTW Dobber, I think Dragon is working on an F-14, but they're just taking their sweet time with it.

In short.

No sensor pod.

I see. Damn, and I thought just buying those extra bomb packs would fix everything. But drop tanks would've been awesome.

BTW Dobber, I think Dragon is working on an F-14, but they're just taking their sweet time with it.

Oh dear God I hope so :lol: . I have the Dragon F/A-18 "Chippy Ho" can't think of which year but it is the weathered one. I think it looks great BTW, much better then the standard releases. I also have a Dragon F-16C "Fighter Weapons school". Dragon Rocks!!! A Tomcat next to them would be magnificent. Don't have any Corgi yet, But I am considering getting a 1/32 mustang from them. Also got 3 mustangs from Dragon and they are BEAUTIFUL! :lol:

Chris

what the hell is wrong with you people? post some PICTURES!!! YEAA!!!!

I FIND THAT MOST OF us are getting into diecast now, and hel i would have bought gaincorp by now had they had removable gear. Su-32FN's are HUGE! and I want one!!

BTW guys do the dragon warbirds scratch easily? And David or anyone in the know, where is the F-14?

Dragon Warbirds seem pretty scratch-resistant, more so than Corgi. F-14--haven't seen anything for over a year. Dragon is very well known for announcing stuff, showing "prototype/sample" pics, then waiting 3 years to actually release it, sometimes on a 'tweaked' mold that's not as good as the original. :p

I mean, they announced VMFA-232 as the very very first F-18, and it's still not out. That's my most-wanted USMC plane, and I think they announced it in like 2001...

Now, the F-18F has actually been SEEN by people at various shows, so it's most definitely coming and looks nice. VFA-2, the coolest-looking Shornet by far. (And possibly ever, since they did them before all the new rules came into effect, and have neat painted rudders and big fuselage stripes)

BTW, they recently released an Fw-190A (and a D I think) and a P-47, they're releasing WWII stuff faster than modern stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the f-22 on a interesting note the bay doors are mounted on hinges sothey can be in the open or closed position and the missle rack lowers from a push of a button on the 22's back its a nice peice goes well with the air command f-117

Edited by Pierre

Dragon Warbirds seem pretty scratch-resistant, more so than Corgi. F-14--haven't seen anything for over a year. Dragon is very well known for announcing stuff, showing "prototype/sample" pics, then waiting 3 years to actually release it, sometimes on a 'tweaked' mold that's not as good as the original. :p

I mean, they announced VMFA-232 as the very very first F-18, and it's still not out. That's my most-wanted USMC plane, and I think they announced it in like 2001...

Now, the F-18F has actually been SEEN by people at various shows, so it's most definitely coming and looks nice. VFA-2, the coolest-looking Shornet by far. (And possibly ever, since they did them before all the new rules came into effect, and have neat painted rudders and big fuselage stripes)

BTW, they recently released an Fw-190A (and a D I think) and a P-47, they're releasing WWII stuff faster than modern stuff.

I'm sick of waiting for the F-14. Dammit.

I've seen the dragon 190D. Ok but 1/72 scale is a bit small for WW2 birds and the details arent that nice. I would have bought it if it were 1/48 scale though.

OK, here is my review of the FA-22 Raptor by Gaincorp. Like all Gaincorp models this has fixed landing gear....while I Agree with everyone else that removable gear ala dragon wings would be nice, we all knew it going in! the model itself seems to be pretty acurate to the production FA-22's lines. Not sure if the actual Raptor is like this but the Horizontal stabs edges are "blocky" there is no edge to them. You can see thisin the pictures on the Flyingmule website. Paint scheme is nice but a little too glossy....but this seems to be how they do their models, I have the SU-35 and it is also in a gloss finish. The colors are a little off. The 22, to me, seems to be more of a "metalic grey" base with the darker grey camo, and the model is more of a grey on darker grey finish. However it is still nice looking with the faded effect on the camos edges.

The weapons bay as someone else pointed out is pretty cool. Not sure if it is accurate or not but it holds 6 ARAAM missles. The Doors are hinged and open out and then the outer edges fold in to allow ground clearance. To get the out edges to fold in took alittle bit of force on my model so it can be alittle nerve racking if you are affraid you might break it! The push button release, while a bit gimmicky, is actually a nice touch IMO. the button on top is flush with the rest of the Hull with no more "gap" around the button then any othe panel line.

Markings seem to be pretty desent, but again I'm not that familiar with the Raptor. The model comes with a crew Ladder and an optional extended tail hook...never seen that on the Raptor but I'm sure it's there....it's just a strange option for an AirForce aircraft model because they are almost never used.

The Cockpit is bland with virtually NO detail. I know that no one outside the people that actually work on the thing has seen the actual cockpit, but the whole thing was just painted gloss black...seat and all....with just minimal genaric white instraments painted on the main consol. <_<

The only REAL problem I have with MY model is that there is a NASTY seem running the length of the nose, so there is a visible "gap" at the tip of the nose cone. Not sure if this is fixable or not seeing as how the screw holes are capped off. Oh well.

Over-all, I'm happy with the model just wish it didn't have that damn seem! Flaps and Rudders are nice and seem to be accurate. I'm tempted to apply a flat coat myself, but that would ruin the "original" model if you catch my drift. Also would have been nice if the side weapons bays could be displayed openend, which it seems was originally planned because the directions on the back of the box shows them open, but instead they are glued shut :( . If you are a fan of the FA-22 I think you'll like this model....not perfect, but there really isn't alot out there of the Raptor.

Chris

P.S. I'll post a few pictures later....not sure what you'll be able to see because I'm on dial-up and my picture quality hasn't been comming out so great on the forums.