rate these anime series

khyronic

I have no idea how the X tv series or manga were, but it was a HORRIBLE movie. I remember once scene, the screen goes dark, and I'm thinking, "that was lame, but at least it's over..." Then the movie continues, and I was physically ill at the thought that the powers that be were allowing the movie to continue.

Well, outside of Gundam and Macross, I'm not actually a huge "anime" fan. (Actually, I'm kinda against the idea of being a fan of anime in general. I can imagine that there are a bunch of people in Japan dressing like Bull from Night Court or Urkel, calling themselves fanatics (in their non-native English language, just like how "Otaku" feel the need to throw around what little Japanese they've gleaned from anime as if they were either experts in Japanese or as if Japanese is a normal part of English conversation), or going to big conventions because they're fans of "Americom," that is, American Sitcoms. Anyway, just like American sitcoms, I try to take Japanese shows on an individual basis.

All that said, I liked Escaflowne and Marmalade Boy a lot, and I recently watched a show called "Midori no Hibi," which translates to something like "Midori's Days." It was a cute, if odd, show.

I'm waiting till the full series is on American dvd for GITS. I did like the movie, visually, if nothing else.

What is Full Metal Alchemist about?

the GitS movie and the GitS: stand alone complex have very little in common other than the character names...

the movie took shirow's world and transformed it through Oshii's lens and the series follows much more closely, visually and thematically to shirows original manga.

the visual look of the two is very different.

full metal alchemist follows two brothers as they try to undo the tragedy they inflicted on themselves when they were younger.

the world uses a system of magic called alchemy, "full metal" is a kind of title that one of the brothers ends up with.

pretty interesting plot, some light political stuff, lots of magic (but not a lot of spirtuality) good action, characters are interesting and flawed... it's a fun series.

Yes indeed, the X movie was not meant to be. Omitting all that character development to fit into a movie was a bad, bad idea. The TV series is actually not bad, and I was having my doubts, too. Although it's rather cliched. Kamui = Heero Yuy. Or rather, Heero = Kamui, since I think X came out first? *shrug* At least Kamui has a proper character development compared to Heero. Rating for X (tv series) = 3/5

FMP = 3/5 Has ups and downs. This was back when their 2D animation had some problems IMO. Heads too big, weird proportions that are inconsistent. Or maybe it's just me.

Vandread = 2/5 No comment.

No idea for the others.

*EDIT* oh, totally forgot about Soul Hunters. Better off known as Senkaiden Houshi Engi. And yes, the manga is actually quite good as mentioned dooown below there by Sumdumgai. The anime counterpart was cut down quite a fair bit apparently, however I could deal with the 'low quality animation'. Then again, I was watching it in a pretty badly encoded Real Media format, so it's pretty hard to tell when the animation is actually a lackluster.

Edited by rikiryou

Full Metal Panic

1/5. Comedy + Action it tries to be. But with a "I'll get you yet!" bad guy who doesn't die and keeps coming back coupled with plot holes and anticlimactic end...this show just adds to one of GONZO's many failures.

El Hazard

4/5. Pretty funny adventure/fantasy series. Has a few seasons.

Slayers(breakdown by seasons, movies)

4/5. Another funny adventure/fantasy series. A classic not to be missed.

Hellsing

2/5. Another GONZO failure. Omnipowerful main character vampire goes around winning baddies of the week...has some interesting character development (+1 wolfy point) but ends with plot holes AND anti-climax. (Damn you GONZO!) Rumoured to have a sequel but no news for 2 years.

X

4/5. Dark, gritty and angsty action with romance thrown in. This one's for you if you're into angsty boys and nice fight sequences.

Vandread

3/5. One of GONZO's more mentionable titles, Vandread has a Macross-feel to it. Men and women are enemies living on different planets, this group of men and women end up together on a ship....it gets warped outside their solar system, and now they have to work together to make it back to their respective planets. And on the way...they meet many obstacles. Features 3D cel shaded animation for space battles, mecha, boobs, and spaceships.

Dirty Pair Flash

Haven't seen it...but never heard good things about it.

Soul Hunters

Never heard of it.

Edited by wolfx

If you don't like low quality animation, avoid Soul Hunters like the plague. I couldn't get through the first episode it was so bad (which is a shame since the manga is supposed to be pretty good).

Dirty Pair Flash I saw the first two episodes. Meh.

I liked Full Metal Panic, but if all you've seen are the ADV trailers, it's not at all like they portray it (ADV sucks). I only saw part of a Fumufu episode, and what I saw was hilarious! Much more like the manga (and probably original novels).

GitSAC is great, although I've only seen the first commercially released DVD. Heh, go tachikomas!

If you want something rather different but funny, try Azumanga Daioh. It's not for everyone, but it always brings a big smile to my face.

X is nice, although the end left me saying "that's it?". But then again, with all the build up to the end, it probably was rather difficult to come up with a end that would be able to handle all that build up. Great series though (much better than that craptastic movie).

I don't think it's out yet, but you could always try to find Flame of Rekka. A sort of a Yuu Yuu Hakusho rip-off, but I loved it. Although the animation has its ups and downs through the series.

I think Pioneer licensed this title, Scrapped Princess was great. I'm halfway through the series, but I like it a lot. Now if only I could find out what company is releasing those figures and when (not the special come with DVD only release in Japan). Fantasy with a bit of a twist. Suppi-kun! :D:lol:

I liked Full Metal Panic, but if all you've seen are the ADV trailers, it's not at all like they portray it (ADV sucks). I only saw part of a Fumufu episode, and what I saw was hilarious! Much more like the manga (and probably original novels).

One thing I'd like to correct you people on is there are not one, but two different FMP mangas. One is the usual one with the mecha and follows a storyline (which the 1s anime was supposed to follow) and the other one is Fummofu? which like the 2nd anime is standalone comedy stuff.

So saying its truer to the manga is not entirely right.

;)

Full Metal Panic - (recommended)The first Gonzo show I liked. Not bad mix of action and comedy with some fun characters. Doesn't shove CGI in your face(BIG plus). Fumoffu, its sequel, has no real plot, but is downright hilarious. It can be watched without knowledge of season one. Its all based on a series of novels(which I'd love to read) that were made into manga, which were then animated by two companies. (Gonzo-season one, Kyoto Animation-season two)

El Hazard - (highly recommended)Which one? "The Magnificent World" is practically a modern masterpiece. Everything works, story, characters, animation, music. Heck, even the dubs great. See this version first. "El Hazard 2" is a throwaway sequel, but still good. "The Wanderers" is a TV remake of the first OVA. Like Tenchi TV(Universe) it's a watered down retelling. Good if you're a fan, but no where it's equal. Finally, "The Alternative World", a TV sequel to the two OVAs, I have yet to see this fully.

Slayers(breakdown by seasons, movies) - (recommended) All around, a funny and enjoyable show. It's all basically the same. If you like one season, watch the rest.

Hellsing - (not recommended) An extremely overrated piece of animation. Gonzo took what I hear was a good manga, and ruined it. The characterization sucks(Alucard is one of the very few fictional characters I downright despise) with the hero being an immortal, one dimensional, "I'm such a badass" type character. The plot goes nowhere, the animation isn't anything special. The only redeeming qualities it has is a cool opening song and a cameo by Mika Doi.

X the Movie - (not recommended) Rintaro decides to take an extremely character driven story and start on volume 10. It's a shame, since I love this manga. No characterization, non-sympathatic characters, no plot, all action and sakura. If all you want is beautiful animation and some action, get it. If you want to actually like the characters before they die, read the manga or watch Yoshiaki Kawajiri's excellent TV series.

Vandread - (recommended) Another one of the few Gonzo shows that I like, this one seems like their take on Nadesico(which, being the fan of that series that I am, is probably the draw). All around a cute fun series with some action. My biggest beef is the CGI cut scenes. Gives it all a video game look and can be jarring(something Gonzo is known for). Basically, their CGI, fanboy banter, Blue Sub 6, and butt-kissing reviews like those found on ANN(listed above) have kept me from liking most of their stuff, even Last Exile(Crispen Freeman playing Alex in the dub of that doesn't endear the character to me since he reminds me of Alucard, and I watch subs).

Dirty Pair Flash - (highly recommended) A remake that actually works, the DP are always great when you are in the mood for "girls with guns" action. I'd recommend the original series and OVAs over it more though. Especially "Dirty Pair: The Movie" also known as "Project Eden" That movie is one of my favorite ever. Even the Streamline dub is highly enjoyable(not the DVD dub).

Soul Hunter (neutral) Looks interesting. I've liked some of what I've seen, but too little to really comment. I wouldn't ruch out for it. In case you screwed up(happens to all of us) Sorcerer Hunters is a very amusing series, though read the manga for the plot.

Full Metal Panic = Kick Ass

El Hazard= Kick Ass all 3, especially the Original OVA

Hellsing= Kick Ass

Vandread=Only seen a little. Hated the CG, story was interesting.

dont forget to check Animeondvd.com for your review needs.

Full Metal Panic = Kick Ass

El Hazard= Kick Ass all 3, especially the Original OVA

Hellsing= Kick Ass

Vandread=Only seen a little.  Hated the CG, story was interesting.

dont forget to check Animeondvd.com for your review needs.

For Pete's sake, go anywhere but there for anime reviews. I've found that the webmaster wouldn't know a great anime if it bit him. Just sample around and form your own opinions. Don't let some guy on a website who gets his copies for free advise to you what to watch. Also, I honestly want to know what's so "kick ass" about Hellsing. Did I miss something in the two run throughs I had?

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

i don't know about you but i like hellsing, yes it is an uberpowerful person but it was still interesting, plus i got the whole series for like 14 bucks online at import-anime.com, which is where you will find most of the series for like 14 or 21 bucks. i also like x the series, although the ending could have been better.

I liked Full Metal Panic, but if all you've seen are the ADV trailers, it's not at all like they portray it (ADV sucks).  I only saw part of a Fumufu episode, and what I saw was hilarious!  Much more like the manga (and probably original novels).

One thing I'd like to correct you people on is there are not one, but two different FMP mangas. One is the usual one with the mecha and follows a storyline (which the 1s anime was supposed to follow) and the other one is Fummofu? which like the 2nd anime is standalone comedy stuff.

So saying its truer to the manga is not entirely right.

;)

:lol: True. The comedy manga Ikinari Full Metal Panic is pretty insane. I had forgotten about it. Although I prefer the original character designer/illustrator who did the illustrations for the novels, Shikidouji.

Touché wolfx! ;):lol:

Uhm, there's Orguss 02 if you want something short but nice.

I'm about to get new anime but don't know where to start.

Rate the following shows as I know little about them. It will help me decide. tanx!

Full Metal Panic

El Hazard

Hellsing

X

Vandread

Dirty Pair Flash

Soul Hunters

Full Metal Panic Seen one episode. OK.

El Hazard Never seen it.

Slayers(breakdown by seasons, movies) Never seen it.

Hellsing Never seen it.

X Never seen it.

Vandread Never seen it.

Dirty Pair Flash Screw Flash, watch the original DP.

Soul Hunters Never seen it.

And those are my ratings. :p

true to each their own seeing as how i like devilman (kickass), and getter robo (starvengers when i was growing up) and most don't. i do enjoy excellent stuff i do own samurai x reflections, and cowboy bebop, and escaflowne (another hory froating head masterpiece) but i like the stuff that doesn't require you to think. besides getter robo is cool, and i am in the process of acheiving the perfect transformation toy. you want to talk about transforming toys check at the getter robo section at studio halfeye, at halfeye.m78.com :D

Rate the following shows as I know little about them. It will help me decide. tanx!

Full Metal Panic

El Hazard

Hellsing

X

Vandread

Dirty Pair Flash

Soul Hunters

I've only seen a few on your list

FMP. eh ok I guess.

X. Decent. A little slow in spots and overly dramatic. Kamui you really want to beat up. Music is rather redundant. Good story. Decent cast of characters.

Hellsing. Starts out good. Goes down hill around episode 8 or so.

Vandread. Garbage.

And someone asked about the Ninja Scroll TV series. It's crap. Some of the ugliest character designs I've ever seen. The action scenes would look good, if the charcaters weren't so hideous. The story, eh nothing really good. Music is terrible.

Some shows that you should check out:

Last Exile (something from Gonzo that doesn't suck)

Texhnolyze

Wolf's Rain

Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Berserk

Gungrave

Some shows you should avoid:

Samurai Deeper Kyo.....ah..its just bad ;) lol

Big O (or at least the second season). What a way to ruin a series. The ending is terrible. Ruined the whole show for me. Most of the episodes in the second season were just dumb and uneventful.

Demon Lord Dante. Not so much the content but the R1 DVD is edited. Look elswhere.

Blue Gender. The show starts out great but turns into crap once they go into space(around episode 17 or 18?). The ending is awful. I heard the movie versions ending is bad too.

Wether or not one agrees with Animeondvd's reviews (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) you at least get plenty of info on the show enough to see if it's something that may interest you enough to give it a try. ANN's reviews on the other hand I've disagreed with lots of times, but less so lately.

Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone's got one. Not everyone agrees, nor should everyone agree all the time.

As for Hellsing, I enjoyed it a great deal, and dubbed even (a rare occurrence with me). Manga's even better.

As for FMP. I liked both seasons. Fumoffu is on the way soon, sci-fi back story removed, focuses on the high school comedy. I loved it as much as the first season, which had a very successful blend of serious sci-fi, high school comedy, and mecha action, with good characters.

While Fumoffu focuses on the high school aspect, it still holds you interested, and much of the supporting cast make appearances, as well as some new characters. Simply a fun show to watch.

And actually, a great many of the "free" copies Chris gets at Animeondvd are what goes to the contests. He buys a great deal of the discs himself too. That's all I'm chiming in on that note.

Edited by Anubis

QUOTE (khyronic @ Sep 6 2004, 10:15 PM)

Full Metal Panic

El Hazard

Hellsing

X

Vandread

Dirty Pair Flash

Soul Hunters

I've only seen a few on your list

FMP. eh ok I guess.

X. Decent. A little slow in spots and overly dramatic. Kamui you really want to beat up. Music is rather redundant. Good story. Decent cast of characters.

Hellsing. Starts out good. Goes down hill around episode 8 or so.

Vandread. Garbage.

And someone asked about the Ninja Scroll TV series. It's crap. Some of the ugliest character designs I've ever seen. The action scenes would look good, if the charcaters weren't so hideous. The story, eh nothing really good. Music is terrible.

Some shows that you should check out:

Last Exile (something from Gonzo that doesn't suck)

Texhnolyze

Wolf's Rain

Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Berserk

Gungrave

these are indeed execellent, i really love gungrave. brought a tear to me eye when it came to their friendship at the end, bersek is also ecellent and so is everything else on this list, all of which is like 21 dollars each plus 8 dollars shipping at import-anime.com. the guy who runs the site is real cool, and you get most orders within a week.

Full Metal Panic - Haven't seen it.

El Hazard - Stick with the original OVAs, which are excellent. The rest is crap.

Slayers(breakdown by seasons, movies) - I found the TV series to be boring and redundant. The OVAs and movies are a lot of fun.

Hellsing - Eh. Stick with the manga.

X - Suffers from being based on a manga that hasn't been finished yet.

Vandread - Not woth the effort.

Dirty Pair Flash - Somebody should be shot for this.

Soul Hunters - Fluffy, fun show, but if ADV absolutely feels they must re-name shows, they at least should be able to come up with something better than the utterly inane title of "Soul Hunter."