Hero

Oihan

well, here's the gameplan,

hero at 11:30am, bourne supremacy at 2:25, and either AVP or collateral again (good movie) at 5:00. then it's off to Dave & Busters for some video games.

hey, free movies are free movies.

man, am i bored! i need to go back to work!

well, i'm gonna go get the import of hero and compare.

china street, here i come (there is no more chinatown in cleveland)

:rolleyes:

I really don't care for Jet Li that much--I remember enjoying Bodyguard from Beijing, being only mildly interested in My Father is a Hero, and downright bored with the various Once Upon a Time in China movies. The latter I remember as being extremely unrealistic even though there was no magic. I recall a scene where for no particular reason the characters had to fight on top of a bunch of bamboo frames and ladders and it just went on much too long for me.

You didn't like the Ladder fight in Once upon a Time in China 1? :o Its generally regarded as one of the best fight sequences in all of film. The choreagraphy needed to complete that scene was masterful. I think Jet Li had a broken Leg for that particular sequence and Yuen Biao stepped in as a replacement for Jet.

A western ending would have a happy ending with the protagonist reunited with his love interest.  I held off buying this movie months ago, so I could wait for its theatre release.

And featuring Chuck Norris. ;)

no one wants to see him flying around on the Total Gym 1500 with his walker ranger hat.

You didn't like the Ladder fight in Once upon a Time in China 1? :o  Its generally regarded as one of the best fight sequences in all of film.  The choreagraphy needed to complete that scene was masterful.    I think Jet Li had a broken Leg for that particular sequence and Yuen Biao stepped in as a replacement for Jet.

I figured it was regarded as some kind of classic, but I just found it boring and contrived. I saw it many years ago, but my vague recollection is that there was no really good reason for the fight to happen up there, for so long, but the characters had this really serious "must-stay-on-top-of-the-ladders" attitude.

It's possible, though, that I'm mistakenly remembering a dislike of the movie overall, and transferring it to that particular scene. Also, I could be misremembering the exact details of the fight and/or movie. I'm not sure how many of OUATIC 1-3 I saw; mainly I just remember being bored during a fight that happened on top of a bunch of ladders or scaffolds.

Edited by ewilen

I figured it was regarded as some kind of classic, but I just found it boring and contrived. I saw it many years ago, but my vague recollection is that there was no really good reason for the fight to happen up there, for so long, but the characters had this really serious "must-stay-on-top-of-the-ladders" attitude.

It's possible, though, that I'm mistakenly remembering a dislike of the movie overall, and transferring it to that particular scene. Also, I could be misremembering the exact details of the fight and/or movie. I'm not sure how many of OUATIC 1-3 I saw; mainly I just remember being bored during a fight that happened on top of a bunch of ladders or scaffolds.

The ladder sequence occurred in Pt 1. It was so well recieved it was duplicated in Pt2 using tables instead. Ladders and Tabels, OH MY!! Both sequences are ripe with metaphors, allegories and themes that are depicted in the films. The Ladder sequence is a metaphor for Tai Chi. Tai Chi literarly means balance or control. Jet Li or Wong Fei Hung in the series represents rightousness. Fei Hung is always at balance in the ladder scene. While His opponents: Iron Robe Yen Pt 1 and Master Lei Kung pt2 are always out of balance. They are strugggling to achieve what Fei Hung has. Iron Robe represents the desire to achieve fame or wealth at the expense of Morals. So in a sense the fight isn't just between the 2 combatants,but between their differing philosophies on life and China. So in order to stay atop the ladders or tables or stuff in life one must reconcile certain desires with what is fair and just in lfe. Iron Robe loses because he yields to desires and loses control. He becomes bestial in nature. He ultimatley discovers that Martial Arts can't compete with bullets. Another theme prevalent throughout the series. Jet Li broke his shin filming the ladder sequence in Pt 1. I was wrong about his stand in. Another actor completed the rest of the scenes for Jet. It wasn't Yuen Biao. the stand in later appears in the series sequels playing a Character dubbed Club Foot.

Edited by Golden Arms

I really don't care for Jet Li that much--I remember enjoying Bodyguard from Beijing, being only mildly interested in My Father is a Hero, and downright bored with the various Once Upon a Time in China movies. The latter I remember as being extremely unrealistic even though there was no magic. I recall a scene where for no particular reason the characters had to fight on top of a bunch of bamboo frames and ladders and it just went on much too long for me.

You don't like Jet Li because you haven't seen two of his better ones... check out High Risk (I think it was released in the US in that red and black series as Meltdown), and Fist of Legend (which was an excellent remake of Bruce's The Chinese Connection).

Thanks for the tip, mikeszekely.

Golden Arms, your comments may point out one of the reasons that non-Chinese viewers (including me) have trouble with some aspects of kung fu movies. A lot of the stuff that may seem nonsensical or overwrought may contain references to concepts, stories, or aphorisms which Western viewers won't recognize. It would be interesting to see a detailed "annotation" of a martial arts film, with all the references explained.

Anyway, getting back to "Hero", or the director, Zhang Yimou, I can't say I'm particularly a fan of his, either, having seen "Raise the Red Lantern" and "Ju Dou". They had elements which I enjoyed (and as with Hero, the cinematography is gorgeous), but they were too melodramatic for my tastes, with IMO stereotyped characters and situations. I often wonder if some of Zhang's popularity is from Western arthouse audiences' love of exoticism, combined with the fact that Zhang is relatively daring (in terms of plot and other elements) for a mainland director.

Edited by ewilen

You don't like Jet Li because you haven't seen two of his better ones... check out High Risk (I think it was released in the US in that red and black series as Meltdown), and Fist of Legend (which was an excellent remake of Bruce's The Chinese Connection).

Also that movie Twin Dragons that he was in where he mastered Tai Chi was cool(two friends go seperate ways and must fight in the end of course). Legend of the Red Dragon was sweet too(Magic Spear... and some kid).

Meh... you guys are too picky. The movie is being commercialized in the US as an action flick, something like a mix of CTHD and The Matrix... It is Sunday and I had to find something to trap my ADD for a couple of hours... I really enjoyed some scenes. Perhaps mby absolute ignorance of Chinese culture precludes me of being as critical as you guys... or maybe I'm just easily entertained... "Big Trouble in Little China" and Ninja 3 - Domination" both deserve best movie academy awards at 3:30 in the morning... :p

Historically, the Qin dynasty lasted only about 37 years and is remembered as a tyranny for imposing heavy burdens on the population and burning literary classics which were not "politically correct".

It is also regarded as the years that built the foundations of China. It is agreed by most that if Qin did not do the things he did, there would be no China. He unified the language, the people, the nation. True, it may not be humane, but the end is the preservation of one of the most cultured civilizations.

I believe the signature flying martial arts is derived from qing gong. Go google it. It is not just some thing some movie director though of. It actually has history. It certainly has more credability than some overteched transforming F-14's.

Edited by thedarkmarine

The funny thing is most people go in thinking this movies is about martial arts fighting. Most americans won't understand this movie. There is a much deeper meaning about china's history in this movie.

I'm sure those teenagers left cuz they don't know how to read. j/k lol

• 2 weeks later...