yamato stickers

mantisfists

I wanted to put the stickers on my 1/48 vf-1a, but, i didn't want to put the stickers on that yamato packages with the valk if they're just gonna fall of. are they really that bad? what are some of the problems with em? and what's the difference between the factory stickers and the once available on VE? sorry....y'all probably sayin "damn newbies.....always askin questions." thanks for y'alls' help, though. it's been invaluable. :D:D:D

The yamato stickers aren't so bad if cut the uneeded film and you peel the superficial film layer with a hobby knife, they will become flat and shiny, but you have to remove leftover glue. I do this with the "no step" stickers and the results are excellent better then takatoy's.

However I suggest to use aftermarket stickers or decals that you can buy at valkyrie exchange or at twins moons anime

Edited by Ido

I'll put it this way:

My Yamato stickers were so unforgiving, they once shot a man for snoring.

Drawing macross symbols on post-it notes with a broken burnt sienna crayon and sticking them to your valks will yield better results.

The moral of this story: Buy custom aftermarket stickers by Takatoys or other, and save yourself the misery.

Wow....y'all are pretty passionate about them stickers. Looks like imma havta get some custom stickers.....though, I've always thought that broken burnt sienna crayons and post-it notes got a bad rap. :p I've seen some of the pictures with the customs applied and they looked beautiful. Just didn't really see much of a difference when I went onto VE to look at the sheet and compared it to the one the valk came with. Last thing I wanna do, though, is apply cheap assed stickers to my valk and ruin it.

Wow....y'all are pretty passionate about them stickers. Looks like imma havta get some custom stickers.....though, I've always thought that broken burnt sienna crayons and post-it notes got a bad rap. :p I've seen some of the pictures with the customs applied and they looked beautiful. Just didn't really see much of a difference when I went onto VE to look at the sheet and compared it to the one the valk came with. Last thing I wanna do, though, is apply cheap assed stickers to my valk and ruin it.

want differences? here's a short list:

look at the type on the stock stickers, notice how blurry they are? the takatoys are legible.

look at the colour, notice how they seem faded? dull and listless? the takatoys have good colour saturation and and really stand out on the valks.

look at the thickness of the stock stickers, the takatoys are at least 2/3's the thickness.

spend the money, get the takatoys, they're worth the money.

The moral of this story: Buy custom aftermarket stickers by Takatoys or other, and save yourself the misery.

The only reason I'm not getting them is because they're not pre-cut.

I'm horrible at cutting things out. :ph34r:

I have the same reason unfortunately <_<

man, invest in a little metal ruler and an x-acto.

always cut with the sticker under you ruler, if you can't cut 90% try to angle the blade out, towards the white.

always change blades after ... say a half dozen cuts.

they sell these self healing cutting boards at art supply places.

what I did is I got some regular masking tape, and I layered several onto the edge, follwoing the grid

this gives you a nice back rest to push the sticker sheet up against, so it won't slide around while you cut

try to cut through the sheet in one pass, apply even preasure... as long as the blade is sharp you'll have no trouble getting a clean cut

practice cutting first though.

and don't try to do it all of it at once if you're not used to it

i hope this gets good coverage:

i put the yamato stickers on my low viz, i didn't know about the shoddy sticker quality. are they easy enough to take off should i want a good set put on later?

I don't think the Yamato stickers are THAT bad.

The only ones that bug are the ones that go on curves. Like the intake stickers, etc. The rest I can live with.

I would buy some of the stickers at Takatoys... but I don't have nearly enough time to want to cut them out myself. :ph34r:

Here's a review of the Takatoys stickers. Scroll down for more recent images.

Finally, cutting them out doesn't take much time. Just get a good xacto blade. I didn't know you were supposed to change the blad that often. I've gone through three sets of stickers with the same blade and haven't noticed any degradation in cut quality or smoothness.

Anyways, you won't be disappointed with the after-market stickers. You just spent $130-200 on a valkyrie. What's another $10 to make it look its best?!?

H

Here's a review of the Takatoys stickers. Scroll down for more recent images.

Finally, cutting them out doesn't take much time. Just get a good xacto blade. I didn't know you were supposed to change the blad that often. I've gone through three sets of stickers with the same blade and haven't noticed any degradation in cut quality or smoothness.

Anyways, you won't be disappointed with the after-market stickers. You just spent $130-200 on a valkyrie. What's another $10 to make it look its best?!?

H

yeah, it's a product of my art school days, my graphic design teachers were nazis man...

you don't have to have to change blades that frequently, but I like to... means I don't have to apply as much force so less chance of the blade slipping and doing something really bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, fellas (and ladies...if there are any). Just got my custom decals and finished stickin em on and I gotta say.....looks great, thanks for y'all's advice. Wish I had a digital camera to show how nice it came out. :D Course, it took me the better part of 3 hours to cut those bad boys out and stick em on perfect (damn, it sucks to be anal). Now, all I gotta do is get some of those gundam markers so I can hook up the panel lines. :D:D:D

P.S. By the way....must be nice to have your name as a pilot on the cockpit of a valk....got a laugh outta that, Graham. :lol: Guess it's good ta be da king, eh? ;):p

Edited by mantisfists

Yamato stickers are not that bad, period. Everyone has different standards but the bottom line is that the Yamato stickers get the job done. Some stickers don't look the best but look fine from a normal viewing distance. I've had zero problems with any of them falling off and I've owned Yamato's since the beginning. I was tempted to check out some of the repro stickers but they are not cheap.

However, it is important to trim all stickers for better looks and in some cases, to get them to fit. I just use a ruler for a straight edge and an exacto knife. It's easy but takes time. You might also have to clean parts of the valk because they are oily. This was more of a problem in older valks.

True, Yamato stickers may not be that bad. But I don't think anyone who has directly compared the two would disagree that Takatoys' are much better

Hey JawJaw. PM your address and I'll send you out a set of TakaToys. I've got an extra set (or two half sets that together would make a whole). You gotta try these! ;)

Best Regards,

H

I put the Yamato stickers on both of my 1/48's and only two of the really, really small ones are starting to curl (and I think they are on a part with a severe roundness). I did manage to cut off the excess sticker mass and got them down to a good size. One thing that you should do if you are going to use the Yamato stickers, is take a dull pointy object and "emboss" them into the groves of the particular area that you are placing them on.

Yes, the Yamato stocks are NOT that bad. But for me personally, if I'm shelling out $150 for a Valk, I'm not gonna put anything on it but the best-looking type of decals--namely the TAKATOYS and ANAZASI's. Just my 2 cents :) .

• 2 years later...

ic..... i cant tell the difference man.. anyway in wat way did it improve?

is it less thicker and can it last longer than those 1/48 stickers?

coz i did apply on one of my 1/48 valk and after more than year an it curled up so i have to remove everything...

maybe my place is humid..

ic..... i cant tell the difference man.. anyway in wat way did it improve?

is it less thicker and can it last longer than those 1/48 stickers?

coz i did apply on one of my 1/48 valk and after more than year an it curled up so i have to remove everything...

maybe my place is humid..

FYI, even the takatoy stickers will lose their adhesive properties after a while.