Progress Shots VF-11b

Sam

Weeeeeeeeel heres my attempt at a VF11b model kit. After successfully achieving clear coat WITHOUT warping underneath paint * stil happens, but think its due to teh paint thickness underneath* its been quite fun detailing this up.......

See what you reckon eh... :)

Tell me what scale it looks like?

Comments time starting.......................... now...

post-3-1062725157_thumb.jpg

These kits are really great for the money. They're really small (1/144 scale), but they pack in a surprising amount of detail.

I've done the VF-11MAXL kit (although my paint skills can't match up) and it was a fun set of builds (for those who don't know, the kit comes with two models... one fighter and one battroid) They're easy to put together, and you don't even have to use glue.

If I had one gripe about the fighter models, you can't build them with the landing grear doors UP without serious modification.

They're cheap, they're fun, and best of all, for the amount of detail, they take up very little space on your shelf!

I think it was WAVE (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that put out a number of resin upgrade kits for these models.

They featured various sorts of fast pack equipment or Gerwalk mods... but they're RARE and EXPENSIVE.

Edited by Skull Leader

It was Tect who made the upgrade kits, actually.

I should actaully be recasting some of them in the coming months, with the help of Sully, who's agreed to loan them to me. First up is the 1/144 Full Armored VF-11 ^_^

Sounds great Valkyrie, any idea about estimated cost?

It's a great looking model Sam, airbrushed I assume? I love those little 1/144th kits, a few years ago I had the VF-17 and Fire Valkyrie, I think I pretty much destroyed them though. <_<

At first guess it was around 30 USD from what he told me. As the other TECT's I own are small compared to it, so maybe around 10 USD. But remember that was a raw guess. There is a lot of small parts in that kit and he's to cover his costs of making a mold etc.

Great work Sam, hope to get mine looking as good when I get my airbrush/work desk etc. God I hate moving house, not doing that again unless I have to.

Thanks guys, glad you like :)

That took a week of on-off painting, this ended up being the oil-panel-lineing-experiement-model-sacrificial-plastic-thingie, and im really happy how it came out. Im going to try tidying up the macross symbos which i handpainted, but its not easy..

The wheels are deliberatly not on cuz they suck and look ugly :p This is going in a small flight diorama that will construct once I build some other 1/44 with the same techniques as this one. Should should pretty good.

I took this to work today for show n tell LOL ... most ppl were impressed, some even kinda knew what it was from *well, robotech was the closest someone got, hehe*

Big thanks to all input that helped me out with panel lines, thanks William for the advice, tah muchly.

Now heres a shot to put into perspective the size of this thing........

PS, im not really Zentradi.

post-3-1062762083_thumb.jpg

Oh btw, did anyone notice the nosecon mod? It was way too chunky originally, so i sanded and sharpened for better look...just wondering if it was noticable to anyone.. was piecing my fingers all the time while I was painting hehe :D

Oh btw, did anyone notice the nosecon mod? It was way too chunky originally, so i sanded and sharpened for better look...just wondering if it was noticable to anyone.. was piecing my fingers all the time while I was painting hehe :D

Yes I do!! Great work Sam!! The original nose cone is horrible. Strage thing is the MAXL nose cone from the same models line is not that chunky even when both are vf-11s..

Nice painting.

Hi, thanks for the comments guys its appreciated !!

Rune, it was combination of everything in painting. Spraypaint can undercoats, airbrush shading, oil panel lines, hand painted detail (red lines, macross symbols, canopy, cockpit details) and clear coat in a can! :)

using tamiya acrlyics so i dont die from painting for a long time...... heh

I would really love to find that futures floor wax everyone talks bout for doing canopys cuz im sure that would make it even better :D:D:D:D ( its addicting this modelling lets me tells ya! ) As far as I understand its just acrylic floor covering. Might have to experiment, but cockpits aren't exactly readily available. Might have to do some 1/60 ones too.

Gerwalker, now Im gonna have to check out that Maxl version to compare ! I never noticed that it was better, but as soon as I saw the side shots of this valk it was a case of 'how to make it more streamlined' heeh.

I was hoping the painting might be tricky enough to make it look like a bigger scale. One day I will achieve that ! Like a 'bonsai' valk, tiny but looks big!

Again,thanks for comments, its what keeps me posting back!

Sam

Hey, thanks mate.

I think it will be a while till im as good as William though. But im trying :)

Goodness knows i have enough models at the moment to practice on! only bout six years worth.... :p

thanks Smut.P, Valk.N :)

Hey Gerwalker, I am in australia. thanks for the heads up, I will check it out next time Im at Coles! :)

I actually bought some waterbased clear gloss floor finish from the local hardware store, was going to give it a go at some stage. But at 20aud a small tin, its pretty damn expensive if its a dud!

Thanks again!