New Kawamori Series In The Works

therealfolkblues

i'm also with the non-Escaflowne fans here, that series didnt grab me like the others...

Not surprising. Beneath the sword play and giant mecha lies a bishounen anime just waiting to swallow you up.

Thank goodness Alan and Van were heterosexual.

i'm also with the non-Escaflowne fans here, that series didnt grab me like the others...

Not surprising. Beneath the sword play and giant mecha lies a bishounen anime just waiting to swallow you up.

Thank goodness Alan and Van were heterosexual.

*Gasp* They were? Gah! I need to go watch it again then! Perhaps this time I will like it! :lol:

According to Bandai.... a new series aimed for the hardcore fans is due out late 2004 around the time the second Seed show is over.

Really? I hadn't heard about that... should be cool. I'm guessing it'll be OYW, seeing as how that's synonimous with "hardcore Gundam" right now.

It will probably be UC, or something made by Tomino, or a AU series with an UC tone. :ph34r:

If it is a UC series by Tomino I wonder what it would be like. We have the UC version of Tomino then we have the Turn A Gundam version of him. Personally I love Turn A Gundam and think its the best Gundam series made and would love to see another series along those lines.

Hmm maybe they might do a real remake of the OYW instead of a SEED version. It would be interesting for them to animate the novel version of the way or do everything from the Zeon side ala Zeonic Front. B)

Edited by Effect

Oh boy a new Gundam series...I wonder if this one will feature a young full of angst teenage boy trying to find himself while controlling a giant mech...

Actually an Armored Core series would be kind of cool. Kawamori does most of the mech designs for that. It might get me interested into serious mech shows again. Macross Zero sure didn't. <_<

I don't know how long it takes to make a series? It was about a decade from the original SDF Macross and Macross 7, so I'm guessing if the new series isn't Macross there will be one to follow shortly. (I think SDF Macross around 1984-85 and Macross 7 1994-95)

Sorry man, SDF Macross aired date was in 1982 not 1985. When it was adapted for Robotech; that happened in 85. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. :p

I don't know how long it takes to make a series? It was about a decade from the original SDF Macross and Macross 7, so I'm guessing if the new series isn't Macross there will be one to follow shortly. (I think SDF Macross around 1984-85 and Macross 7 1994-95)

But that was because Kawamori had taken a break from doing "sequels" and didn't want to work on Macross anymore. It's really more about when Kawamori wants to do it (or can be convinced to by sponsors) rather than production time.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not something about music controlled mechs, Anima Spiritia, or environmental whacko themes.

Kawamori has definately been leaning towards environmental themes in his latest works, I'm pretty sure Macross Zero will have more than it already does (nature vs. technology), so I would say there's a high chance of the new show featuring these themes.

Then again, he does have a knack for doing what you don't expect him to, so you never know.

Edited by yellowlightman

Gundam... I was just thinking that myself!  After all, isn't Gundam coming up on 25?  Kawamori, after all, was a Gundam fan... and Stardust Memory turned out to be a fan favorite, didn't it?  Considering the lukewarm response to more recent Gundam series, Sunrise would want to do something big to catch fans' attentions, and Kawamori + Gundam seemed to work before.

Well, the next Gundam is a sequel to SEED, that's already been confirmed. It's unlike they'd start another new series, but hey... you never know.

As for 0083, Kawamori only did design work on that... I got the impression from the original post that Kawamori is involved with this new series at a creative level. But hey, you never know! :lol:

According to Bandai.... a new series aimed for the hardcore fans is due out late 2004 around the time the second Seed show is over.

Yeah, I'd heard about that, and I figured that the post-SEED series must be more or less finished. They like to replace Gundam with Gundam in Japan (G after V, W after G, and X after W), and SEED is almost at the end of it's run. If Kawamori says he's in the early stages, whatever it is, it will have to go on after SEED. My mistake was in my math (as always)... 2003 should be Gundam's 25, right? So, if Kawamori is working on Gundam, it couldn't be for an anniversary. On the other hand, if he is working on a Gundam series, it could go on after the one that goes on after SEED.

Speaking of that Gundam, I would love to see Tomino get back to it, but I'm not sure how I feel about a new UC series. Everything after Char's Counterattack doesn't quite feel like UC Gundam anyway, IMHO.

As for Stardust Memory, yeah, Kawamori only did some of the mecha, none of the story or anything. But (and I could be totally wrong) I was under the impression that fans loved Stardust Memory because they loved the mecha.

Escaflowne... Abombz!, Melissa, and the Commander are the minority. I don't consider myself to be an anime fan... I only have DVDs from three different series. Macross, of course, then Gundam, and Escaflowne, which I thought was brilliant (although the character designs could have been a little better). Even my wife, who can't figure out why I'd want to buy Macross or Gundam, loved Escaflowne. But along with the other Escaflowne fans, I think a sequel would do more harm than good. Escaflowne told the story Kawamori wanted to tell, and ended the way it should have.

No we are not. You are just saying that to make yourself feel better.

I'm not saying there aren't many Escaflowne fans out there, I'm just saying that its not as popular as you might think. <_<

Who's trying to make themselves feel better? <_<

I'm not arguing that Escaflowne is a popular series. I'm arguing that of the people who did watch it, though, the majority liked it. Not necessarily loved it, but liked it. The people who outright disliked it seem to be the minority. The overwhelming majority haven't watched it at all.

I'm not arguing that Escaflowne is a popular series. I'm arguing that of the people who did watch it, though, the majority liked it. Not necessarily loved it, but liked it. The people who outright disliked it seem to be the minority. The overwhelming majority haven't watched it at all.

Somewhat true. Escaflowne is the typical case of love it or hate it. The number of ppl who like it is just about the same number of ppl who don't. Not to say its a bad show... but with 2 main characters full of angst..... it gives EVA a run for its money. B)

As for Stardust Memory, yeah, Kawamori only did some of the mecha, none of the story or anything. But (and I could be totally wrong) I was under the impression that fans loved Stardust Memory because they loved the mecha

Correction... ppl like 0083 because of the animation and because it was the only Gundam series to get the physics right. :)

Oh boy a new Gundam series...I wonder if this one will feature a young full of angst teenage boy trying to find himself while controlling a giant mech...

Not all Gundam pilots are like that. Amuro was a specialy case... he was a whiny bitch in MSG and Z Gundam. Camile had the angst toned down... but he turned into a punching bag. Judo had no angst what so ever, neither did Amuro in CCA. Seabook didn't have it either, and neither did Uso.

Now.. if you want to argue about teenagers getting into the cockpit of a Gundam... go right ahead. :p

It depends on the quality and the technology they are using. MZero episodes take a great deal to do, M7 episodes don't.

I don't know how long it takes to make a series?  It was about a decade from the original SDF Macross and Macross 7, so I'm guessing if the new series isn't Macross there will be one to follow shortly.  (I think SDF Macross around 1984-85 and Macross 7 1994-95)

It depends on the quality and the technology they are using. MZero episodes take a great deal to do, M7 episodes don't.

Thats because they are of different formats. A new Macross series won't even begin to match the animation of macross Zero simply because it would take an incredible amount of money.

If we pray alot... we might get a Macross series with Gundam Seed quality animation... and with 50 episodes.... there is not better looking animation out there... too bad it lacks everything else. <_<

Somewhat true. Escaflowne is the typical case of love it or hate it. The number of ppl who like it is just about the same number of ppl who don't. Not to say its a bad show... but with 2 main characters full of angst..... it gives EVA a run for its money. B)

As for Stardust Memory, yeah, Kawamori only did some of the mecha, none of the story or anything. But (and I could be totally wrong) I was under the impression that fans loved Stardust Memory because they loved the mecha

Correction... ppl like 0083 because of the animation and because it was the only Gundam series to get the physics right. :)

Fair enough, Abombz!! I suppose you could argue that for a lot of animes, games, or anything really. I know sometimes I'm the minority because I like Megaman...

As for Starust Memory, I'll have to watch it again. I don't remember anything special about physics or any special animation quality... I just remember spectacular mecha battles. But then again, that was back in the days before DVD... I don't remember a heck of a lot from back them. :lol:

But getting back to Kawamori... for some reason (and I think it's possible, although maybe not likely) I still feel like Kawamori is working on a Gundam, possibly to go on after SEED's replacement. Don't ask me why, it's just a hunch. And you know what? I don't think it'd be a bad thing, although I really wish it was a new Macross TV series.