chyll2

3D Model Request - Missile/Ordnance for DX toys

Sprayed another coat and man, I don’t know...

17F055C0-B2D4-4EBF-90B6-C2C54FC3FCA4.jpeg

9F802D8A-7684-41FD-A828-6939D2077108.jpeg

Looking nice, really. If you haven't sand them yet, you can expect a very clean result after it. Make sure to let dry hard before. 

If you have a six face hand polisher, you can sand and polish with the same tool

Should I sand on the sprites, or off? And do you have a preferred technique to do that quickly on 18 missiles?

41 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Should I sand on the sprites, or off? And do you have a preferred technique to do that quickly on 18 missiles?

I'd lift them off. Once you cut from the frame, the material still carries the spongy characteristics with it. If you don't cut them, you will end up with a tiny section that has a different feel to it. Just my suggestion, but do all you can while it's on it, then cut it off, and then while the main body is all ready to go, coat the parts you cut. You can always sand the part to where it's supposed to be, so don't worry too much about that.

yep, sand as much as possible on the sprues, then cut them and finish the sanding individually. Once done, put them individually on a wire from the bottom (there is a hole specially for that) so you can spray them all together.

What’s a six face hand polisher?

I think it's a nail polisher with different grits on each side.

New-2017-Nail-Art-Polisher-4-Ways-Manicu

Edited by wmkjr

imo, there are no shortcut there. you have to cut it out and sand them individually.

Just had a thought. Could a piece be engineered that could be placed on top of a 31 Siegfried’s leg drone launchers to give the appearance of missiles like in the 31A Kairos?

Stripped them and I’m trying again. Wasn’t satisfied with the finish. 

Hi Sildani, 

If you don't glue the FUD tips of the missile you can still wipe the paint and add a bit of sanding, that's the way to do with WSF!

About the missiles in the legs drones compartment, I think it would be easier to wait until the release of the 31A and just copy its part if it fits the Delta platoon Vf-31s. At least it should. 

Nope, didn’t glue the tips. It’ll look great when I’m done it’s just finding the time!

Looks like these are coming along nicely, Sildani.  Don't worry too much about the grainy texture.  This is just what Shapeways WSF looks like.  It's a very tough material too, so don't think so much about removing the 'bumps' in the plastic, as much as trying to remove the paint from the 'valleys' instead.  You'll of course remove the tops of the bumps too but the real goal here is to fill in the low parts with the paint.

It's definitely a tedious process though and nobody should expect these printed things to arrive completely smooth and perfect after ordering.  We're just not quite there yet with the technology.

If you order in the frosted detail, especially Extreme detail, it comes out very nice actually.

Of course it costs 2-3x as much.

Just looked and it seems they’re not available in Extreme, only Ultra. 

Just now, Sildani said:

Just looked and it seems they’re not available in Extreme, only Ultra. 

That's actually something that the creator can set I think, so Xigfrid could probably make them available in Extreme.

Ultra gives a pretty good finish to begin with, but Extreme actually feels smooth to the touch, shouldn't even need sanding.

Ooh. That’s worth exploring!

Sorry, I should have added that I know nothing beyond WSF as that's all I've ever been able to justify in terms of cost.  But @Sanity is Optional your recent results with the frosted material prove that spending more, definitely gets you some amazing results.  I can't justify the cost (still) but once you factor in the time it takes to prime, sand, repeat, it's actually not so bad.

I am on your side @mickyg for FUD material, it costs really too much for what it does. I only use it for clear parts. 

However, the major downside of FUD to me is not it's price but the fact that it is brittle and can break really easily compared to WSF. 

I noticed that, managed to chip a corner off one of my pieces, looks like I'll have to order a 0.02" drill bit instead of just jamming the rod in.

I guess this can apply for all projects via Shapeways. Starting Nov 27 12:01AM until Nov 28 11:59PM PST 10% off plus free shipping on orders over $25 use MAKEYOURHOLIDAY.