YF-21/22 Transformation Question

w8kbrder

So has anyone here had issues with getting it converted back to fighter mode. I can literally get everything back where it goes...except one thing....both knees slightly overlap. This causes one leg to sit higher than the other so the feet are not even in the back.

What the heck am I doing wrong! I have disassembled, reassembled, disassembled again. I've watched Scorched Earth's video but for the love of me cannot figure out how he is managing to get a bit of space between the knees when they are folded up into fighter mode. It looks as if the shoulder armor is pushing the legs inward too far once you try locking the back plate down. Leg joints are folded up like they are suppose to. Shoulder armor is folded out into the small recess on the arm joint swing arm. So frustrating!

I've spent 2 hours on this and I'm at a loss. Its like there is not enough room between the shoulder armor and the thigh section of the legs. The shoulders end up pushing on the legs causing them to bow inward leaving no room between the knees. Help!

20150430_122155_zpstza7zus1.jpg

20150430_122212_zpsg45qodj4.jpg

I remember this incident. I spent 7 hours doing this. And literally for over-doing it, shattered the thigh part. Make sure to double-check the knee joint. You can see a small dot and make sure that dot is not visible. It's either you haven't folded the knee joint properly. There's a flyer that came with YF-21 that shows this.

Let me find the picture that I posted about this...

Edited by no3ljm

Found it.

Notice the black dot in the first picture? Should not be visible. After that, the rest of that area's transformation is smooth. Hope that helps. ^_^

Before
post-5552-0-22431400-1430417049_thumb.jpeg

After
post-5552-0-95309000-1430417054_thumb.jpeg

Here's some old thread regarding YF-21 Transformation Problem: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41861

For some reason, searching is not showing any YF-21 related thread. :unsure:

I haven't yet attempted transforming any of my 21 & 22.. but this will certainly be very helpful for future reference! :)

I'm sure it will spanner. ^_^ Imagine me spending 7 hours to learn my lesson... the hard way. Anyways, ood thing I've found another YF-21 for bargain a week after that. :rolleyes:

Ok you guys are a God send. So I removed one leg and kept messing with the Gerwalk extension. I couldn't get that black dot to dissappear and I didn't want to force it. But after expanding and contracting it finally went all the way in! For the Gerwalk extension on the legs, there are 4 notches. The first 3 are super easy to expand and contract. That 4th is a pain!

Overall the transformation is a lot easier than everyone made it out to be....or at least I found it to be not that difficult. You just have to constantly mock it up and make sure there are no doors/etc that will get caught when snapping parts together.

Now that i know what to look for, the transformation is easy IMO. Easier than Arcadia's YF-19.

Thank you again. You all are great! Great resources here. Wish every forum had these kinds of fans.

I haven't yet attempted transforming any of my 21 & 22.. but this will certainly be very helpful for future reference! :)

I wasn't going to transform mine since it was MIB and never opened. But I spent an eternity trying to find it so I said the hell with it and opened it up. Once you transform it, you realize what kind of quality and brainstorming went into the creation of such an elaborate/intricate puzzle. The detail and lines are amazing in battroid form. So much fun!

This is one of my fav features of this valk....

79a983ba-91e2-43b8-968f-1efb9636777c_zps

Edited by w8kbrder

I'm sure it will spanner. ^_^ Imagine me spending 7 hours to learn my lesson... the hard way. Anyways, ood thing I've found another YF-21 for bargain a week after that. :rolleyes:

sucks you had a leg explode on you.. but good that you were able to find another soon after though! were you able to do anything with the broken 21 or just keep for parts?

sucks you had a leg explode on you.. but good that you were able to find another soon after though! were you able to do anything with the broken 21 or just keep for parts?

Shouldn't be a big problem, worst case scenario - delimiter version! The fighter lines of the 21/22 are just so sleek.

hehe! or glue it all together and lock in fighter mode! ^_^

I know. I strained too much on forcing it since I didn't know about that black dot thing in the back section of the knee. After 7 hour of wrestling, i lost my head and bam, more strain and crack plastic. :wacko: I also watched a lot of YF-21 transformation online but never have I encounter one that says about that black dot thing. And when I check back the manual and the flyer insert, I noticed that and just try to push back more the knee until the black dot is hidden, and there it goes the 'smoothest' valkyrie transformation ever. :rolleyes: And yeah, good thing I found another one. ^_^ And the exploded one will stay in Fighter mode along with my other extra Arcadia YF-19 loaded with their Fast Packs and Fold Boosters. ;)

Shouldn't be a big problem, worst case scenario - delimiter version! The fighter lines of the 21/22 are just so sleek.

Not a big fan of delimiter mode. ;) But yeah, so sleek, the Battroid is not anime-accurate anymore. Hehehe. :lol: But I gotta say it's one of Yamato's best looking engineering valk aside from the classic VF-1's. ^_^

Found it.

Notice the black dot in the first picture? Should not be visible. After that, the rest of that area's transformation is smooth. Hope that helps. ^_^

Before

attachicon.gifYF21_knee_Before.jpeg

After

attachicon.gifYF21_knee_After.jpeg

Here's some old thread regarding YF-21 Transformation Problem: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41861

For some reason, searching is not showing any YF-21 related thread. :unsure:

Noel, can you please explain in as much detail as you can what you are doing to make that black dot disappear?

I used to be able to transform the VF-22S with my eyes closed, but I eventually sold all my VF-22S off. Now I've re-bought Gamlin's VF-22S (and a YF-21 :D ) and I'm totally lost, haha. The previous owner tried to transform his VF-22S back into fighter mode, but he wasn't able to get his legs into position so the belly plates cannot close. I can see those black dots on both knees but I cannot figure out what I need to do to get rid of them; it doesn't feel like I can push the gerwalk joint in any further, if I straighten the legs the dots are still there, and bending the legs does not help either.

My YF-21 came in a properly transformed fighter mode, and if I move aside the belly plates I can see that the black dots on the knees are hidden, so I know that I need to do the same on the VF-22S, but I just can't figure it out.

Noel, can you please explain in as much detail as you can what you are doing to make that black dot disappear?

I used to be able to transform the VF-22S with my eyes closed, but I eventually sold all my VF-22S off. Now I've re-bought Gamlin's VF-22S (and a YF-21 :D ) and I'm totally lost, haha. The previous owner tried to transform his VF-22S back into fighter mode, but he wasn't able to get his legs into position so the belly plates cannot close. I can see those black dots on both knees but I cannot figure out what I need to do to get rid of them; it doesn't feel like I can push the gerwalk joint in any further, if I straighten the legs the dots are still there, and bending the legs does not help either.

My YF-21 came in a properly transformed fighter mode, and if I move aside the belly plates I can see that the black dots on the knees are hidden, so I know that I need to do the same on the VF-22S, but I just can't figure it out.

Hey Keiichi. Sure. I can do that with the best of my knowledge without the help of pictures. ^_^

Basically, we really need to hide that black dot in order to flush in the legs inside the bay so that the bay door will close properly. In order to put back the legs inside from Gerwalk or Battroid mode. After you straighten the legs from Gerwalk, you will notice the black dot on the side of the knee joint. And this is the part where you say, 'I already did pushed the knee back from Gerwalk'. Remember that in Gerwalk mode, the knee extends to expose the rotating joint area. After you pushed the joint back in, you really need to push one more to hide the dot. The best way to do that is, hold the upper leg area (thigh) with one hand, while the other hand is holding the lower leg area, and at the same time, put your thumb at the back of the knee joint. With a little force from the thumb, try to push the knee joint upward, the same motion when you push back the joint to hide the extended rotating joint from Gerwalk. Once you successfully pushed that back in, you will hear a 'click' sound. And voila! The dot is already hidden at the edge of the thigh part. ;)

Hope that helps. Let me know the outcome. ^_^

Hey Keiichi. Sure. I can do that with the best of my knowledge without the help of pictures. ^_^

Basically, we really need to hide that black dot in order to flush in the legs inside the bay so that the bay door will close properly. In order to put back the legs inside from Gerwalk or Battroid mode. After you straighten the legs from Gerwalk, you will notice the black dot on the side of the knee joint. And this is the part where you say, 'I already did pushed the knee back from Gerwalk'. Remember that in Gerwalk mode, the knee extends to expose the rotating joint area. After you pushed the joint back in, you really need to push one more to hide the dot. The best way to do that is, hold the upper leg area (thigh) with one hand, while the other hand is holding the lower leg area, and at the same time, put your thumb at the back of the knee joint. With a little force from the thumb, try to push the knee joint upward, the same motion when you push back the joint to hide the extended rotating joint from Gerwalk. Once you successfully pushed that back in, you will hear a 'click' sound. And voila! The dot is already hidden at the edge of the thigh part. ;)

Thank you so much, Noel!! That was EXACTLY what I needed to do, and now my belly plates are nice and flush!!! :lol:

I never would have guessed you could push that joint in another notch (it doesn't feel like it can at all!), but your guidance and method worked like a charm. Using your technique the joint actually moved to that extra notch fairly smoothly. Thank you for once again helping me out, Noel. :D

post-197-0-01905500-1430977891_thumb.jpg

I wasn't going to transform mine since it was MIB and never opened. But I spent an eternity trying to find it so I said the hell with it and opened it up. Once you transform it, you realize what kind of quality and brainstorming went into the creation of such an elaborate/intricate puzzle. The detail and lines are amazing in battroid form. So much fun!

This is one of my fav features of this valk....

79a983ba-91e2-43b8-968f-1efb9636777c_zps

Love this shot! Wings in high speed mode! The North American XB-70 had this feature eh!? Compression lift or abouts..

Thank you so much, Noel!! That was EXACTLY what I needed to do, and now my belly plates are nice and flush!!! :lol:

I never would have guessed you could push that joint in another notch (it doesn't feel like it can at all!), but your guidance and method worked like a charm. Using your technique the joint actually moved to that extra notch fairly smoothly. Thank you for once again helping me out, Noel. :D

attachicon.gif032.jpg

You're welcome Keiichi. Glad to be of help. ^_^

• 1 year later...

WARNING! to all owners of the yf 21 I just transforming and the legs come out

unarmed and I found the diecast part that connect the legs just broke so I hope some ours members can offer a shapeways spare or something 

by the way without the legs the doors close surprisingly good for fighter mode

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

this thing has turned into gold over the past 8 months or so.  Ive been trying to score one on ebay - like most valks could be had around 250 but then something happened and now they all go for well over 300.  I just tried bidding on one that eventually sold for 380. N O P E.

1 hour ago, Cowboy17 said:

this thing has turned into gold over the past 8 months or so.  Ive been trying to score one on ebay - like most valks could be had around 250 but then something happened and now they all go for well over 300.  I just tried bidding on one that eventually sold for 380. N O P E.

I was bidding on that one too hahaha I went up to 375 shipped and was actually relieved when I was outbid!

Would have ended up as one of the most expensive valks in my collection. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres

59 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I was bidding on that one too hahaha I went up to 375 shipped and was actually relieved when I was outbid!

Would have ended up as one of the most expensive valks in my collection. 

i stopped at 275, and even then that was HELL NO territory. 

4 hours ago, Cowboy17 said:

i stopped at 275, and even then that was HELL NO territory. 

I hear ya'. I'll keep looking but am hoping we get a vf-21 advance from bandai sometime soon. Would be sweet; I love my vf-19 advance. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres

On 4/18/2017 at 6:28 PM, valhary said:

WARNING! to all owners of the yf 21 I just transforming and the legs come out

unarmed and I found the diecast part that connect the legs just broke so I hope some ours members can offer a shapeways spare or something 

by the way without the legs the doors close surprisingly good for fighter mode

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

Sorry to hear about this Valhary. But is there a way to fix it with those Metal Shop that offer welding services?

thanks guys!

I really apreciate your advices but It worries me if this diecast piece broke and happen something similar with the front landing gear of my old yamato yf 19 that Theoretically is also diecast

so sincerely hope are Isolated issues but knowing the background of yamato I doubt it

anyway I already glued and looks solid however I considering make a resin copy and see if it works

IMG_2739.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 5/7/2015 at 1:09 AM, no3Ljm said:

Thanks a lot for this instruction! It is hard to believe the "black dot" will ever go away until I finally applied the right force and then "voila"! Awesome.

2 hours ago, eevli said:

Thanks a lot for this instruction! It is hard to believe the "black dot" will ever go away until I finally applied the right force and then "voila"! Awesome.

I was scared to death the first time I push the leg to hide the black dot 

Ahh the curse of the black dot. One time I had to leave 4 or 5 of them in Gerwalk mode because of this issue. Took me 5 years before I got it right, pretty embarrassing. 

By the way, for a few legs that were too stubborn I took the thigh apart just by removing three screws and resetting the joint. Painless and quick. 

Edited by raptormesh

• 3 weeks later...

My Gamlin VF-22S is easy but the YF-21FP kicks my ass every time. 

I do hope Arcadia revisists.  Main improvements needed are a telescoping waist/hip area to give more clearance in battroid and gerwalk (and ideally make stowing the legs in fighter easier), and to lock the nose to the chest in fighter mode and the arms to the LERX/wing roots.  I am also not fond of the way the nose splits to bring the head out.  That part always scares me transforming.  Simple detent and telescope please.  

I would swear eternal love to Arcadia forever if the intake covers are integrated in and actually opened and closed.

Edited by Uxi