I don't know about the Skygrasper, since it remains the only RG I haven't bought (because I can't justify $25-$30 for a little plane and some Striker packs).

Mike, I'm not gonna say that the Skygrasper is a great value, but it certainly is something different. Building a little aircraft with RG-like detail and construction was a neat change of pace for me. Also, being able to kit out the Strike in various ways, including fudging the "Full Package" setup, adds a lot of fun to that kit.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, I think the Justice may be the best value of the RG line. The flight pack is so large that its wingspan doesn't look out of place alongside MG kits, and it weighs only a few grams less than the Justice itself (including rifle and shield). That kit is practically a two-in-one!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Mike, I'm not gonna say that the Skygrasper is a great value, but it certainly is something different. Building a little aircraft with RG-like detail and construction was a neat change of pace for me. Also, being able to kit out the Strike in various ways, including fudging the "Full Package" setup, adds a lot of fun to that kit.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, I think the Justice may be the best value of the RG line. The flight pack is so large that its wingspan doesn't look out of place alongside MG kits, and it weighs only a few grams less than the Justice itself (including rifle and shield). That kit is practically a two-in-one!

justice and infinite justice is my favorite seed characters. i felt justice gundam saved the universe in seed and destiny while kira was on the side battling his physiological problems and past.

it was heroic sacrificing himself to njammer the mass weapon and save earth. Then crushing that whining red eye wannabe in the sequel. (though i ordered the rg destiny as well)

justice and infinite justice is my favorite seed characters. i felt justice gundam saved the universe in seed and destiny while kira was on the side battling his physiological problems and past.

it was heroic sacrificing himself to njammer the mass weapon and save earth. Then crushing that whining red eye wannabe in the sequel. (though i ordered the rg destiny as well)

I'm not going to comment much on the story, because SEED/Destiny is my absolute least favorite Gundam series, populated by emotional idiots who constantly make their situations worse by making irrational decisions.

I'm not a huge fan of the mecha designs in SEED/Destiny, either. Most of them tend to be over-designed, IMHO, with the worst being Gaia Gundam (who the heck needs a mobile suit that turns into a cat?) and Raider (lemme turn my backpack into a hat!). Even some of the hero ones, like Strike and Impulse... what's the sense of making a Gundam with a modular weapon system for different missions if you're just going to combine them (Perfect Strike, Destiny, Destiny Impulse) anyway? And I'll be honest, Justice and Infinite Justice? I suppose having a backpack that can turn into a flight system isn't too bad, but why not just give it wings like Freedom or make it variable like Saviour? I guess carrying a thing you can ride on your back half the time doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But what do I know, I'm a UC purist at heart.

Honestly, my favorite mobile suit from the SEED series is Freedom. I like the small tweaks from the traditional Gundam color scheme, I like that the wings serve a purpose and aren't just a ridiculous decoration, I like Gundams with big beam cannons (see also F91, one of my favorite UC designs), I like the way the cannons integrate into the wings, and I like the large railguns on the hips. Strike Freedom was an overly-blingy downgrade, if you ask me.

But yeah, the RG Justice model is cool. I like that, despite the Fatum's large size, Justice doesn't need as much space to be displayed as Freedom, Strike Freedom, Aile Strike, or Destiny with their wings spread out. Another bonus for those of us who keep spending money on new model instead of action bases is that the wing tips on the Fatum can reach the ground, giving Justice a little more stability that the other SEED RGs.

The UC purist in me still likes the RG Mk-II and Zakus the best, though.

I broke the thumb on one of my Sazabi manipulators today. -.-

Oh well, time to break out the ABS cement... bummer.

Keep the pics coming. :) Love those painted pilot figures. I envy the people who have the skill to pull it off.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm not going to comment much on the story, because SEED/Destiny is my absolute least favorite Gundam series, populated by emotional idiots who constantly make their situations worse by making irrational decisions.

I'm not a huge fan of the mecha designs in SEED/Destiny, either. Most of them tend to be over-designed, IMHO, with the worst being Gaia Gundam (who the heck needs a mobile suit that turns into a cat?) and Raider (lemme turn my backpack into a hat!). Even some of the hero ones, like Strike and Impulse... what's the sense of making a Gundam with a modular weapon system for different missions if you're just going to combine them (Perfect Strike, Destiny, Destiny Impulse) anyway? And I'll be honest, Justice and Infinite Justice? I suppose having a backpack that can turn into a flight system isn't too bad, but why not just give it wings like Freedom or make it variable like Saviour? I guess carrying a thing you can ride on your back half the time doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But what do I know, I'm a UC purist at heart.

Honestly, my favorite mobile suit from the SEED series is Freedom. I like the small tweaks from the traditional Gundam color scheme, I like that the wings serve a purpose and aren't just a ridiculous decoration, I like Gundams with big beam cannons (see also F91, one of my favorite UC designs), I like the way the cannons integrate into the wings, and I like the large railguns on the hips. Strike Freedom was an overly-blingy downgrade, if you ask me.

But yeah, the RG Justice model is cool. I like that, despite the Fatum's large size, Justice doesn't need as much space to be displayed as Freedom, Strike Freedom, Aile Strike, or Destiny with their wings spread out. Another bonus for those of us who keep spending money on new model instead of action bases is that the wing tips on the Fatum can reach the ground, giving Justice a little more stability that the other SEED RGs.

The UC purist in me still likes the RG Mk-II and Zakus the best, though.

:lol: too funny. it's so true. but it grew on me, especially since the rg came out. i'm constantly cueing up scenes from the anime to compare. and it's making me like real grades even more. as well as the seed designs.

(prior to that i only watched 0083 exclusively: a million of times) i even hated wing zero ew's design but once the rg came out i was more comparing how nice the rg looked to the show and then started to like the unit. now it has me watching endless my dusted copy of endless waltz.

i think it's the rg's itself that's bringing interest back to these shows, now i'm trying to see if i can build the gundam and pose it like some scenes :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

sorry for the double post:

bunch of stuff came in today:

IMG_2004%201_zpsivec30gy.jpg

all premium bandai rg stuff.

freedom extra finish coating 2012 gunpla expo

strike rouge + iwsp,

astraea type F,

deactive strike x105 (this is the gem i wanted)

i guess the collector blood kicked in

i thought to order in bulk bc shipping is so expensive so i got it all in one shot. i got doubles of a few things so if anyone needs one of the extras, just let me know and i'll send them to you if available

strike freedom effect parts x2

repair exia parts x2

astraea parts x2

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I didn't even realize they made an RG of the IWSP pack. Always been one of my favorites just for the sheer amount of overkill, though I have yet to buy Lucas' Strike MG with the IWSP. I've got a few kits in the backburner right now, motivation is dwindling lately but hopefully I can get a proper hobby room set up soon. Having to set everything up after the kids go to bed and then tear it all down again at the end of the night really puts a damper on enjoying the time I get to build, always feel rushed.

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah, i went a bit overboard :p but i sold a lot of my stuff to pay for it. ohi forgot to mention i got the gold and silver gundam markers you guys recommended, going to try that out since those rg silver decals dont like to stay on.

^IWSP pack for RG is actually the HG version with slightly different plastic color and added decals to match the RG suit.

Hmmm, so, does that mean that the standard HG IWSP (and, by extension, any other HG packs) will fit the connector on the RG?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Hmmm, so, does that mean that the standard HG IWSP (and, by extension, any other HG packs) will fit the connector on the RG?

i believe they will. i researched getting the iwps packs hg and rouge separately vs. the rg rouge combo, (might not know about building but collecting: enthusiast B)) but still new to rg's) hg meteor unit vs. the real grade and gn arms type E hg vs. real color version. and found:

-the hg iwps will fit on the rg just a remold in colors and decals. (don't know about other hg attachments)

- the rg meteor is exactly same thing as the hg offering minus the hg freedom and the addition of rg style labels, so i got the hg version and just found the rg decals on ebay for cheap)

- real color type e is the hg version with just rg decals minus the hg exia. (it may have adjusted colors like the iwsp packs but can't confirm, it may be the same thing repackaged with rg decals like the meteor) - (ended up getting the type e real color bc i found a good deal)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Thanks for the info! The HG Strike Rouge + IWSP is cheap enough that I might pick one up just for the pack. I can't imagine the colors need to match a standard Strike too closely to look alright, and I probably have enough spare RG decals to fudge something.

If the shape of the IWSP allows it to plug onto the Skygrasper, that would make for a pretty mean machine, too!

Edited by Nekko Basara

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks for the info! The HG Strike Rouge + IWSP is cheap enough that I might pick one up just for the pack. I can't imagine the colors need to match a standard Strike too closely to look alright, and I probably have enough spare RG decals to fudge something.

If the shape of the IWSP allows it to plug onto the Skygrasper, that would make for a pretty mean machine, too!

here's a review that essentially says the same thing:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2013/03/rg-1144-strike-rouge-hg-iwsp-review-by.html

Guest davidwhangchoi

probably aMEIJIN :p

Ahhhhhh I see what ya did there!

It'll be a complete repaint to really help bring those seperate reds to life. The tones are there in the plastic but it's still to subtle for my taste. The bad news is, I caught a cold : / well I didn't catch it, it invaded my being.

Guest davidwhangchoi

ok guys, i'm trying to paint the silver on the aile strike pack. going to dial up some gundam tutorials on youtube.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

i don't have any paint brushes so i used the gundam paint marker tip:

it's kind of hard to control and i spilled over the parts.

IMG_2006_zpssuiewvhq.jpg

i tried looking online for a gundam paint marker tutorial but only found one that the guy just used red paint to cover over the over spills but then i would have to paint the whole wing red. so i thought to try to tooth pick trick you guys taught me.

i put some 70% isopropyl in a small bowl i found from ordering extra pizza.

dipped the tip of the toothpick and run around the edged of the panel and here's the results:

IMG_2011_zpsmbtow4qw.jpg

looks like the paint is around the proper borders. i made sure to get enough of it off so my pencil can go over the panel line grooves properly the paint spilled over into.

the two tabs on the bottom most wing i did first and under painted it for fear of spilling over so i'm going to redo if i can.

i guess i need to get some paint brushes soon...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

IMG_2006_zpssuiewvhq.jpg

i tried looking online for a gundam paint marker tutorial but only found one that the guy just used red paint to cover over the over spills but then i would have to paint the whole wing red. so i thought to try to tooth pick trick you guys taught me.

i put some 70% isopropyl in a small bowl i found from ordering extra pizza.

dipped the tip of the toothpick and run around the edged of the panel and here's the results:

IMG_2011_zpsmbtow4qw.jpg

looks like the paint is around the proper borders. i made sure to get enough of it off so my pencil can go over the panel line grooves properly the paint spilled over into.

the two tabs on the bottom most wing i did first and under painted it for fear of spilling over so i'm going to redo if i can.

i guess i need to get some paint brushes soon...

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Dab-Combo-Pack-Microbrush/dp/B000BPOJFG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1426878928&sr=8-12&keywords=Microbrush+super+fine

This is just to give you an idea of what I use. When I'm doing really small paint applications for extra detail or even pilot figures I use these Microbrushes at their Super Fine ratio.

I get a pack of 10 for about 2.25 at hobbytown, and nearly any model shop carries some kind of brand in relation.

I ALWAYS buy a pack when I go to the store. My mom has this phrase, "I see butter, I have to buy it, it's like a fetish" for me it's "I see these microbrushes and I gotta buy them.....not cause it's a fetish"

The best thing to do is to just apply a small amount onto a container for your paint, never actually use the marker to apply on the part. Take one of these microbrushes on it then gently apply the needed area. You can even use these brushes on the rubbing alcohol to get tough areas.

They're 1 time use sadly, but for their price and ability to get hard to reach locations, I highly recommend a set or two of different sizes. This is how I get some really good extra details painted on my kits for the last 2 years.

That's why I usually use the metallic Sharpies.

Anyways, I started building the G-Self. I'm not following the order from the instructions, as RGs have taught me the joy of working from the feet up. It's a pretty simple kit, and I managed to built, sticker, and detail the legs and waist. When I'd finished, I thought it seemed smallish, like F91-sized, but comparing it to my other models indicates that it should be closer in size to the RX-78. I'm digging that it comes with a lot of stickers, yet I still find stuff that needs painted (black on the backs of the feet and the leg and butt verniers, white on the backs of the ankles, etc). I think Hikuro might have mentioned this before, too, but the light-effect blue parts seem too dark, especially if the parts with the blue and black stickers behind them.

While the kit is failing to wow me, I do kind of dig the design of the G-Self. Not sure if I'll buy the space pack for it, though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Dab-Combo-Pack-Microbrush/dp/B000BPOJFG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1426878928&sr=8-12&keywords=Microbrush+super+fine

This is just to give you an idea of what I use. When I'm doing really small paint applications for extra detail or even pilot figures I use these Microbrushes at their Super Fine ratio.

I get a pack of 10 for about 2.25 at hobbytown, and nearly any model shop carries some kind of brand in relation.

I ALWAYS buy a pack when I go to the store. My mom has this phrase, "I see butter, I have to buy it, it's like a fetish" for me it's "I see these microbrushes and I gotta buy them.....not cause it's a fetish"

The best thing to do is to just apply a small amount onto a container for your paint, never actually use the marker to apply on the part. Take one of these microbrushes on it then gently apply the needed area. You can even use these brushes on the rubbing alcohol to get tough areas.

They're 1 time use sadly, but for their price and ability to get hard to reach locations, I highly recommend a set or two of different sizes. This is how I get some really good extra details painted on my kits for the last 2 years.

thanks Hikuro, i saw your response early this afternoon, and was looking at getting it from amazon but it was 10 bucks w/ no prime. i'm going to try and grab those at a local hobby store, it's snowing in nj so i'm stuck with a tooth pick for now.

mike s. you mentioned clear coat will make the sharpie run. ( i think :unsure:) so i skipped on the sharpie, i think i'm going to try to coat it once the weather stops acting so crazy. snowing in spring.....

mike s. you mentioned clear coat will make the sharpie run. ( i think :unsure:) so i skipped on the sharpie, i think i'm going to try to coat it once the weather stops acting so crazy. snowing in spring.....

I don't know about running, but the clear coat I used will thin it out or dull the metallic finish, yeah. It may be the clear coat that I used, though; maybe Nekko knows of a different kind that works better. I have Tamiya TS-13 Clear.

Here's a katana I did for the HG Sengoku Astray. The entire katana was molded in white; aside from the sticker on the hilt, I did the rest of the hilt in gold sharpie and the blade in silver then clear coated.

post-187-0-19091600-1426902154_thumb.jpg

Another option it to not clear coat it (or if you're clear coating anyway, do that first). The sharpie may rub off a bit when handling, but it's easily re-applied. Here's a wheel on Combiner Wars Optimus Prime I touched up with the silver sharpie. The entire wheel was black before. This wheel isn't clear coated, and despite playing with Optimus the sharpie has stayed on pretty well.

post-187-0-34310600-1426902689_thumb.jpg

My advice is to give it a shot; they're not expensive (Staples currently has them on special, with a bronze, gold, and silver in one pack for $3). You can try them first one a piece of the leftover runner. For example, if the part you wanted to paint over was red, try the sharpie on the leftover red runner first. You see how it looks, and how well it stays on when it's dry. You can also spray over it with your clear coat to see how that affects it. If you don't like the results there, you can still use your Gundam marker, and the sharpies may be useful somewhere else.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I don't know about running, but the clear coat I used will thin it out or dull the metallic finish, yeah. It may be the clear coat that I used, though; maybe Nekko knows of a different kind that works better. I have Tamiya TS-13 Clear.

Here's a katana I did for the HG Sengoku Astray. The entire katana was molded in white; aside from the sticker on the hilt, I did the rest of the hilt in gold sharpie and the blade in silver then clear coated.

Another option it to not clear coat it (or if you're clear coating anyway, do that first). The sharpie may rub off a bit when handling, but it's easily re-applied. Here's a wheel on Combiner Wars Optimus Prime I touched up with the silver sharpie. The entire wheel was black before. This wheel isn't clear coated, and despite playing with Optimus the sharpie has stayed on pretty well.

My advice is to give it a shot; they're not expensive (Staples currently has them on special, with a bronze, gold, and silver in one pack for $3). You can try them first one a piece of the leftover runner. For example, if the part you wanted to paint over was red, try the sharpie on the leftover red runner first. You see how it looks, and how well it stays on when it's dry. You can also spray over it with your clear coat to see how that affects it. If you don't like the results there, you can still use your Gundam marker, and the sharpies may be useful somewhere else.

ok i just ordered a set from the link you provided from staples. thanks :)

wow, that hubcap looks good. the gundam marker was 2.50 so it was pretty cheap local but the staples 3 pack is even cheaper. i'm doing all the small little silver spots on aile pack and strike. hopefully i'll have it done by tonight.

update: finished the aile pack and painted silver:

IMG_2015_zpst50yryqb.jpgIMG_2017_zps52ufv0sa.jpgIMG_2019_zpshlmf5t5m.jpgIMG_2031_zpsblyw1spq.jpg

but too lazy to put on the decals, going to stop for tonight:

IMG_2028_zpsfik0ckii.jpg

attempting anime pose.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Looks good, David. You have me rethinking my policy of only panel lining HGs (ok, technically I panel lined the RG Zeta 3 already, but that's the only RG I've panel lined).

As for the G-Self, since I breezed through the legs and hips so fast, when my pregnant wife decided to turn in early I thought I might finish tonight. Turns out, I was overly optimistic. While the legs and hips only needed minimal painting (honestly, you could pretty much get away without doing it if you didn't feel like it) the arms, head, and back needed a lot more work. Basically, several verniers (four on each side of the arms, plus another line on the back of the arms, and oddly, spots that may or may not be verniers on the sides of the head), which I expected since that's mostly what needed painting on the legs and hips, and head vulcans, which I've also come to expect on HG Gundams. More frustratingly, though, are three yellow-trimmed thrusters on each shoulder. And they're a pain, because my technique for nice neat verniers is to slap the paint on, let it dry just a little, then gently scrape off the excess with the back of my hobby knife. When the verniers are pits the paint in the pits stay and the paint above it is removed. But the edges of the shoulder thrusters aren't clearly delineated, plus if you don't do the second color neatly you can't really scrape it to get neater edges without removing the first color, too. I did the best I could, but I think it looks a little sloppy. Finally, while the instructions don't even show the G-Self's back without the atmospheric pack, a quick check online showed the G-Self's packless back to have quite a bit of black detail and even a little gray, so I painted all that.

As of right now, the G-Self is done, minus the hands, wrists, weapons, shield, and atmospheric pack. Figuring that there's going to be more painting involved (the box art shows some white and gold on the gun, at least), I'm calling it a night. I can finish tomorrow sometime.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Looks good, David. You have me rethinking my policy of only panel lining HGs (ok, technically I panel lined the RG Zeta 3 already, but that's the only RG I've panel lined).

As for the G-Self, since I breezed through the legs and hips so fast, when my pregnant wife decided to turn in early I thought I might finish tonight. Turns out, I was overly optimistic. While the legs and hips only needed minimal painting (honestly, you could pretty much get away without doing it if you didn't feel like it) the arms, head, and back needed a lot more work. Basically, several verniers (four on each side of the arms, plus another line on the back of the arms, and oddly, spots that may or may not be verniers on the sides of the head), which I expected since that's mostly what needed painting on the legs and hips, and head vulcans, which I've also come to expect on HG Gundams. More frustratingly, though, are three yellow-trimmed thrusters on each shoulder. And they're a pain, because my technique for nice neat verniers is to slap the paint on, let it dry just a little, then gently scrape off the excess with the back of my hobby knife. When the verniers are pits the paint in the pits stay and the paint above it is removed. But the edges of the shoulder thrusters aren't clearly delineated, plus if you don't do the second color neatly you can't really scrape it to get neater edges without removing the first color, too. I did the best I could, but I think it looks a little sloppy. Finally, while the instructions don't even show the G-Self's back without the atmospheric pack, a quick check online showed the G-Self's packless back to have quite a bit of black detail and even a little gray, so I painted all that.

As of right now, the G-Self is done, minus the hands, wrists, weapons, shield, and atmospheric pack. Figuring that there's going to be more painting involved (the box art shows some white and gold on the gun, at least), I'm calling it a night. I can finish tomorrow sometime.

sounds like an interesting kit, can't wait to see when you finish, ok good night

Edited by davidwhangchoi

ok i just ordered a set from the link you provided from staples. thanks :)

wow, that hubcap looks good. the gundam marker was 2.50 so it was pretty cheap local but the staples 3 pack is even cheaper. i'm doing all the small little silver spots on aile pack and strike. hopefully i'll have it done by tonight.

update: finished the aile pack and painted silver:

It looks great, David. Seems like you are really getting the hang of things.

I'll echo what Hikuro said about the paint markers: don't use them to apply the paint directly in most cases, they're just not that precise. Personally, I only use them on a piece itself if the entire thing is going to be painted that color. I generally put a dab of paint on the bottom of a glass condiment bowl (because it doesn't absorb the paint and can be cleaned with harsh chemicals), and then use a brush from that. I know this makes markers seems like a crazy (and expensive) alternative to simple paint jars, but it is really good paint.

Building on Mike's suggestions, I sometimes like to use a silver Sharpie to highlight pieces painted with the silver Gundam paint, because the Sharpie is a bit of a lighter and shinier silver. I think the subtle two-tone effect can really sell the look of real metal. Also, that lets me get all the tricky spots with a fine brush, and not have to try to do them with the less precise Sharpie tip (although it's worlds better than a Gundam marker tip).

It's hard for me to show what I mean in photos (and I apologize for yet again posting non-Gundams), but have a look at the screws and zippers on Pest X-san:

post-29037-0-22231300-1426945933_thumb.jpgpost-29037-0-43471600-1426945947_thumb.jpg

I was priming my Red Warrior yesterday despite h aving a cold....I don't like laying down with nothing to do. Hoped I had enough but I guess I didn't but I knew I had another can of primer once it ran out. Guess what?! Not only can I not find it.....I can't find the new jars of Tamiya Red, Purple, Black, White, and 2 shades of Green..............I dunno who took it. But I will find them, and I will kill them.

Guest davidwhangchoi

that zipper looks good, ok, cool having both markers works!

hope you find your paint Hikuro,

i'm going to see what kit to build next. i had my destiny deactive come in the mail yesterday and have the effect wings coming in the mail next week. i think that color combo would look good. i may give that kit a go. ( still have to finish decal-ling the aile pack and build sky grasper weapons but don't want to decal right now.)

Found my junk! someone did move it >_> I leave my stuff behind for a reason dangit!

Primed my parts of the normal red next up I need to create the mixture for the darker red. I'm thinking Red with a small hint of brown.

I finished painting the frame with Tamiya Gun Metal, but you cant notice it in this picture LOL

it took a lot of time to take it apart and then build it again, now to panel line and put the decals that I got from E bay

Gotta say this is my favorite model in the whole RG line

1920156_873376029372623_1474903806508427

Found my junk! someone did move it >_> I leave my stuff behind for a reason dangit!

Primed my parts of the normal red next up I need to create the mixture for the darker red. I'm thinking Red with a small hint of brown.

Lol! I have my own version of ordered chaos so I totally get this! XD