VF-4 redesigned for 2059...

anime52k8

I've actually got a whole elaborate back story detailing the development and deployment of these things that also Ties in some of my other designs I'm working on. I don't have any actual stories or much of anything actually written down, just elaborate ideas in my head that I work all my designs around.

I've actually got a whole elaborate back story detailing the development and deployment of these things that also Ties in some of my other designs I'm working on. I don't have any actual stories or much of anything actually written down, just elaborate ideas in my head that I work all my designs around.

Having the whole back story, even if just in your head is a good way to work out the kinks in your designs as you image how it should be used. I know that back when you first started this thread if got me thinking about a design that I have been messing with off and on for some time now and if I can make my dumb hand draw whats stuck up in my head I think that it will turn out okay due to all the time it has been bouncing in my brain.

You know what I would love to see is a VF that is more of a VA. I always liked the idea of a VF-0D as a VF version to the F-15E Strike Eagle. I need more air to mud VFs :D

You could say that the PPB is only strong enough to help keep the shape of the 'blade' under control and to keep the heat away from the hand and forearm of the VF as it deploys very close to both. If it's only doing that then when it comes into contact with something solid, then the object in question would pass through the PPB and come into contact with the plasma jet.

But that's just my idea on how it could :D , I'm sure anime52k8 has a idea as well, and I'm not trying to answer for him or anything like that. (just love the tech talk ^_^ )

the PPB is going to serve a couple of functions. First the PPB controls the specific shape of the plasma jet; if it was a strait jet it would be a much wider jet relative to the length, but with the PPB the jet can be made longer and thinner, and also be given a flat profile instead of a round one. If I remember correctly, it is possible to manipulate plasma using electromagnetic fields; this is sort of the same thing.

the second function is actually to give the blade rigidity. so if something strikes the blade it will stop rather than passing through.

also the heat energy from the plasma is able to radiate out through the PPB, except for right around the hand and arm itself.

I've got two ways that the PPB could work, either A) different types of Barriers can be Generated by a PPB system, you can have heat insulating barriers, projectile stopping barriers, energy dissipating barriers, etc. etc. and in this case you're using a PPB that absorbs heat around the arm, and then a barrier that stops objects by transmits heat through it for the rest of the blade. The other option is B) a PPB absorbs energy by converting it to another form of energy or radiating it somewhere else. if the PPB is being used to Insulate the craft (such as during high speed flight) the PPB converts heat energy into power that gets fed back into the system, or the PPB can take absorbed Heat and radiate to another part of the barrier. with the blade, the side of the barrier facing the plasma jet absorbs the heat from the Plasma, then releases it on the opposite side of the barrier, away from the arm of course.

I don't recall any official explanation for how the PPB works other than "it just does" though their probably is somewhere in SDF:M that I'm totally forgetting. I'm just going to go with whichever of these two explanations work best which what we already know/is the least stupid.

I just died.

That are awesome, Anime....

If you want, I could come up with some bullsh- I mean a backstory for it.

The way a plasma sword, contained with PPB would work:

The plasma is contained by the electromagnetic field generated by the PPB. When it contacts a material, it superheats it and melts through or vaporizes, depending on the nature of the material, cutting it. The EM Field is a means of containment, and if there were no plasma flow, one could pass it through with no effect. However, PPB is somewhat different in that it seems to be plasma-based to begin with.

I'm only explaining how lightsabers and plasma swords work.

• 2 weeks later...

and now for an odd update.

first a quicky mock up of what the VF-400S fighter mode looks like:

3345552999_3780439e98.jpg

and now something very different: Characters...

yes, because even the most awsome fighter isn't going to do much if you don't have pilots right.

anyways just some character drawings, I have no info about them other than names and planes. I really want impute on these since I hate doing characters

first up, Alexander Byrne: Designated pilot of the only VF-400S and a Cyborg.

3345531655_94136029a1_b.jpg

and then we have the de facto squadron leader Emily LeClaire. the pilot of the VF-400F unit 101. as such she is a cybernetic pilot too.

3346366516_bb1fed3160_b.jpg

if you're wondering, she's also the one in my avatar, though that is a picture I did a while ago. and here are some faces because I was getting really frustrated trying to draw her face right. after maybe 2 dozen tries, I got these 4 to come out right.

3345534397_2e0d4fc3f3_b.jpg

So like I said, I would love to here what people think especially about the characters.

Nice stuff! The characters look good and the FAST packs look great now that we can see them mounted. One question, will we get a pic of it in battroid mode with this gear on?

One thing I find funny in anime is that I love seeing all these characters with really long/big hair stuff it all into a helmet! If you want to talk about 'anime magic' there's the best example right there :D Not saying anything bad about your characters or anything like that, but can you imagine what Roy's (SDMF) hair would have looked like RL, man talk about helmet hair ^_^

Good stuff man, keep at it!

Nice stuff! The characters look good and the FAST packs look great now that we can see them mounted. One question, will we get a pic of it in battroid mode with this gear on?

One thing I find funny in anime is that I love seeing all these characters with really long/big hair stuff it all into a helmet! If you want to talk about 'anime magic' there's the best example right there :D Not saying anything bad about your characters or anything like that, but can you imagine what Roy's (SDMF) hair would have looked like RL, man talk about helmet hair ^_^

Funny story: I'm sporting Roy's hairstyle to an extent, and I don't get helmet hair. If it were only a bit lighter, it'd look like Roy's hair RL.

However, Alto, Ozma, Max, Milia (SDFM), Mylene, and, well, anyone with hair that long, would have trouble. Ozma's in there because of that huge lock over his forehead.

I get the same feeling when I watch frontier and wonder "where the hell does alto keep all that hair in his helmet?!?" but needing to have some kind of pocket demention in every helmet is worth it to have nice hair. ^_^

and as for the VF-400S, the battroid mode should be coming soon.

Edited by anime52k8

Excelents design Anime52k8.

I love this design too! Since I'm working on your throwaway design I dubbed the "VF-26 Kestrel" I don't suppose I could add this one to the fan-fic section too? Since you already created much of it's 'fluff' it'll be easier to make all the 'crunch' for it. As before with the Kestrel I'll give all credit to you. B))

I'm pretty close to fleshing out my page, it should be up soon following that with all revamped stats as accurate as current publications allow, written for Palladiums 2nd edition 'robotech' I'll have a new thread soon for the site.

Very nice character designs, especially the girl! Overall, awesome revision of the VF-4.

I do have a question about your super pack: is there a reason the shield looks like a carrier deck? Overall, it appears to mix elements of the VF-25 Armor Pack with the forward section of the Macross Quarter, which is pretty interesting. I'm just not sure why the shield has the catapult "fingers" and elevator markings of the Quarter.

Edited by Kelsain

Very nice character designs, especially the girl! Overall, awesome revision of the VF-4.

I do have a question about your super pack: is there a reason the shield looks like a carrier deck? Overall, it appears to mix elements of the VF-25 Armor Pack with the forward section of the Macross Quarter, which is pretty interesting. I'm just not sure why the shield has the catapult "fingers" and elevator markings of the Quarter.

I was wondering when someone would catch that. :lol:

it basically is the boosters from the Armor pack, with carrier deck and main gun from the quarter. the little fingers are there so that it can jab things better and the elevator marking are visual kibble so it's not just one big slab. and I like the way the flight deck looks and wanted tho throw it in their for fun. ^_^

I was wondering when someone would catch that. :lol:

it basically is the boosters from the Armor pack, with carrier deck and main gun from the quarter. the little fingers are there so that it can jab things better and the elevator marking are visual kibble so it's not just one big slab. and I like the way the flight deck looks and wanted tho throw it in their for fun. ^_^

Can it holster the flight deck?

:lol:

I love this design too! Since I'm working on your throwaway design I dubbed the "VF-26 Kestrel" I don't suppose I could add this one to the fan-fic section too? Since you already created much of it's 'fluff' it'll be easier to make all the 'crunch' for it. As before with the Kestrel I'll give all credit to you. B))

I'm pretty close to fleshing out my page, it should be up soon following that with all revamped stats as accurate as current publications allow, written for Palladiums 2nd edition 'robotech' I'll have a new thread soon for the site.

I'm not really sure about that, I've got quite a back story and operational history for the VF-400's... I have an irrational fear of other people getting involved in my personal project and conflicting with the continuity I've got in my head.

I'm not really sure about that, I've got quite a back story and operational history for the VF-400's... I have an irrational fear of other people getting involved in my personal project and conflicting with the continuity I've got in my head.

No problem, thought I'd ask... I'd only be stating up the fighters physical data and damage yields measured in rolled dice ^_^ Have no fear, I won't touch it if you are not comfortable with the idea. I love all your creations, I suppose I've become a fan :lol:

No problem, thought I'd ask... I'd only be stating up the fighters physical data and damage yields measured in rolled dice ^_^ Have no fear, I won't touch it if you are not comfortable with the idea. I love all your creations, I suppose I've become a fan :lol:

actually that might be interesting. just if you feel like including any history or background be sure to ask me first, K? ^_^

actually that might be interesting. just if you feel like including any history or background be sure to ask me first, K? ^_^

Your background and 'fluff' is yours, so I won't touch it. I'll send you the 'crunch' I come up with. I'll go back through the thread to figure out the fighter. I use the VF-1 as a benchmark. For example the GU-11 deals 2d6x10 per 10 ten round burst, this is for each action. So, I need to keep things as relative as possible.

The head lasers deal more damage these days (2d4 per laser instead of 1d4 in the old publication.)

bumpedy bump bump...

hows about some massive beam cannon/mini-aircraft carrier Frankenstein battroid! YAY VF-400S!!!

3373144311_971473a8a3_b.jpg

lets see, the blisters on the sides of the shoulder boosters split open in front to fire missiles. the long pipes sticking out of the blister are tipped with vernier thrusters for maneuvering, and the chunky fin things are mounting points for additional missiles (usually reaction warheads, but it can be other things like long range missiles or micro missile launchers)

Looks pretty nifty, Mike. If I may make an observation, though, that chin on the battroid's head looks like it won't fit past the panel in front of it when the head's retracting for fighter/GERWALK

yeah, it does look a little off but It should actually work. first the head is actually sitting a little bit to low, the neck should be longer and the head should sit higher.

also, with the transformation it actually should work. when it transforms to fighter/Gerwalk mode. the blue and red highlighted parts move forward in the direction of the blue arrow until they're far enough forward for the head to be tucked down, then the red panel slides back in the direction of the red arrow until it meets up with the cowl on the head, covering the face.

transformdetail.jpg

also the chin and forehead close up around the big "eye" structure, making the face smaller. (sort of a mix between the VF-25S head, and the head of the Type zero labor from Patlabor 2 the movie.)

Actually that hadn't even crossed my mind until you mentioned it. The pose itself is based on something I saw in an art book and the overall idea I dreamed up after watching the Afro Samurai movie. :D