VF-4 redesigned for 2059...

anime52k8

at this point the head is probably the biggest question mark. I think I'm going to stick with the 25F style head for battroid, but when I do the detail drawings I'll be doing a full set of them (A, J, S, recon, trainer, etc. etc.)

personally I tend to like the heads on the J/mid-level valks more than I like the S style heads. and as for the long Cowl/Mech Habbit; it's kind of hard to avoid with this design. without it the back of the center fuselage in fighter mode looks stunted, and there really isn't a better place to put it besides on the back of the head.

I didn't mean as in VF-25S, I meant just along the style of the -25. The '-25s' should have been -25's sorry bout that :) For some reason the cowl always reminds of a dunce cap :D

For the fighter mode side view, it feels as if there's no space for the actual hand manipulators. What if you bulk up the arms and those shoulder thrusters, err, make them taller? Also, how about making the upper stabilizers bigger? Given the redesigning, I would also suggest reducing the canopy length by 20% and re-proportioning the area directly behind it.

all right, update time!

I finally finished up the battroid mode. and I made a feeble attempt at coloring this thing, I decided to do a VF-103 Jolly Rogers scheme. the colors are all there but I haven't gotten around to shading yet since I'm frankly not sure how :(

VF-400battroid.jpg

I'm not sure whether I like the white or the grey version better, originally I was leaning towards Grey, but the whites starting to grow on me. what do you all think?

VF-400_SVF-103_White.jpg

VF-400_SVF-103.jpg

I've also got some revised information.

(seriously though, if anyone's got some advice on how to do shading, feel free to let me know.)

and here's the page of stats for this sucker. (now officially the VF-400F Lazarus)

VF-400F Lazarus

Technical Data:

Equipment type: UNS/NUNS advanced tactical variable fighter

Government: N.U.N. SPACY

Manufacturer: Shinsei Industry

Introduction: 2060

Operational deployment: 2061

Accommodation: 1 pilot + 1 passenger

Dimensions:

• Fighter: wingspan 16.48 meters; Length 17.22 meters

Mass: 11.12 metric tones

Construction: composite space frame/ SWAG energy conversion armor.

Propulsion:

• Primary: 2 x 1,165kN Shinsei Industry/GE FF-4001/C Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines.(leg/lower Nacelle engines)

• Secondary: 2 x 865kN Shinsei Industry/GE EF-4101A High performance boosters. (sholders/upper Nacelle engines)

• Auxiliary: 2 x 522kN Shinsei Industry FR-411A thermonuclear ramjets. (inner wing engines)

• 5,104kN total. T/W ration 46.8:1

Performance: Mach 5.2 at 10,000m

Other Design Features: 3-mode variable transformation; wing-mounted engines; canard forward wing; inward-canted vertical stabilizers; nose-mounted ventral fin; two-dimensional thrust vectoring; capable of attaining unassisted orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet; ISC (Inertia Store Converter): Shinsei Industry ISC/GC22; chaff/flare/smoke discharger system; cockpit designed for EX-Gear equipped pilot; supplementary cybernetic interface and external slave control capable; Airframe Augmentation Pack (AAP) compatible.†

-Armament-

Guns:

• 2 x Mauler RÖV-217C coaxial 12.7mm beam guns

• 2 x Sentinal HBC/HS-60B 60mm Heavy Beam Cannons

• 1 x Retractable anti-armor blade (mounted in right arm)

Bombs/Missiles:

• 10 to 12 x AIM-255 semi-recessed long range High maneuverability missiles‡

• 4 x internal micro missile launchers (1 on either side of each engine Nacelle)

• 4 x outer wing hard points

• 2 x inner wing hard points (wet)††

Optional Armament:

• 1 or 2 x Howard GU-17A 58mm gunpod

• 1 or 2 x Howard GU-17B 58mm gunpod†‡

† Airframe augmentation packs (AAP) replace the upper nacelles (shoulder and forearm) and outer wings; replacement pacs allow for airframe specialization for specific roles and operations.

‡The leg/lower nacelle mounted long range missile hard points (directly under each outer wing) are also used to store the gunpods in fighter mode. One missile is removed for each gunpod carried.

†† Inner wing hard points are used to carry propellant tanks which must be jettisoned before transformation.

†‡ the GU-17B gunpod is a shortened version of the GU-17A, the barrels are cut down by about 1/3 and the shroud covering them is cut down by about one half.

-Description and history-

The VF-400 Lazarus began development in the early 2050’s as a potential replacement to the VF-22 Sturmvogel II as NUNS primary special operations variable fighter. Due to several developments within the NUN sphere of influence, Development of the VF-400 was accelerated in order to provide the NUNS with an Advanced Tactical Fighter capable of countering several threats to NUN security including Advanced Variable Fighters developed by Rough Colonies and Fleets such as the VF-27 Lucifer.

Produced by Shinsei Industries under the supervision of the Project Quasar Advanced Research and Development Division, the VF-400 utilizes a design and transformation mechanism similar to the VF-4 Lightning III, but with an enlarged airframe that incorporates the most advanced materials and technologies currently available for Combat deployed variable fighters. The VF-400 combines impressive offensive armaments ― ranging from Long range missiles and heavy beam guns to internal Micro missiles and an anti mecha blade — with incredible performance resulting from a unique layout and 6 engine design, Making the VF-400 more than a match for any Mecha currently known to the NUNS.

Despite utilizing a combination of EX-Gear and the latest model Inertia Store Converter (ISC), the standard Model VF-400 still require limiters to protect normal human pilots from high G’s at the upper limits of the VF-400’s performance. The VF-400F model however removes these limiters and incorporates both wireless control and a cybernetic interface allowing a properly enhanced pilot to operate the VF-400 at the maximum of its performance.

Edited by anime52k8

very nice! B))

about shading:

if you're using illustrator or photoshop, you can use a separate layer for the shading.

this way, you won't ever have to mess with or screw up your color layer.

you can set the layer to 50% opacity, or any value that looks right to you, & use a tone of gray for the layer.

then, you can add more layers of shading/highlights & keep playing with the opacity depending on how much depth you want.

the multiply setting on layers works too, you can play around with those settings for greater effect.

:)

great work anime52k8!!!!but could you fix your last post??the last 2 images are not available...............me like to see more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea why you can't see them, I can.

I'll make them attachment, maybe that will work.

post-4286-1231521847_thumb.jpg

post-4286-1231521878_thumb.jpg

I've been waiting for this update and it looks great. Good stats too, nothing out there or over the top it has a very 'real' feel to it. GERWALK next, yes?

Oh one thing, on 'SVF-103' it would be outstanding if you would do one as 'SVF-84' (I'm very happy that VF-103 picked up the name when VF-84 was disbanded but the Jolly Rogers just seems right with an '84') And both the white and gray look perfect. Now we just need that WWII three tone blue scheme :D

Oh I've been meaning to post these pics. As you have listed that the VF is a two-seater like the VF-25 I think that this design for the canopy would work great with what you have already.

And it would allow for the mid-air rescues that are always going on in the Macross world :D

-edit- if anyone is wondering it's an EADS Mako

post-8467-1231662876_thumb.jpg

post-8467-1231662909_thumb.jpg

post-8467-1231662934_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbes221

Oh I've been meaning to post these pics. As you have listed that the VF is a two-seater like the VF-25 I think that this design for the canopy would work great with what you have already.

And it would allow for the mid-air rescues that are always going on in the Macross world :D

I like, I could definitely see that working.

That thing's smaller than a Ghost QF-2001! :o

VF-400 Lazarus...

Love the name, very appropriate! ^_^

Although, I am not sure Shinsei would be going retro in their designs. However some colony industry and LAI might consider resurrecting the VF-4 design (particularly a space based colony)....

Edited by Zinjo

• 2 weeks later...

oh damn, thread got bumped. I'm actually still working on this, I've been doing a number of sketches for some cool new stuff, but I haven't had time to scan them yet or write up any stats.

give me a few hours... :ph34r:

this thread... IT LIVES!!!

still no Gerwalk mode, I'm being lazy right now but I've at least decided on a pose and what not so I'll get on that sooner rather than later.

for now I give you the first of a couple of fun things I came up with...

earlier I mentioned that instead of conventional fast packs this thing was designed so that teh shoulders, arms, and wings could be removed and replaced. Here are the first two: the AAP-04/AF "Lightning Bolt" and the AAP-04/RQ "Cobra Spike"

the nacelle, wing, and head on top are the lightning bolt parts which are atmospheric parts, and the bottom stuff is for the Cobra Spike which is a AWACS/ELINT valk.

the Lightning bolt head is also the head for the standard VF-400A (the previous drawings are of the VF-400F), the Spike has it's own head.

IMG-1.jpg

and now for some stats to go with them: first the lightning bolt

VF-400 Lazarus AAP-04/AF "Lightning bolt"

Technical Data:

Equipment type: Airframe augmentation system for atmospheric use.

Introduction: 2061

Dimensions:

· Fighter: wingspan 16.48 meters; Length 17.22 meters

Mass: 12.1 metric tones

Propulsion:

· Primary: 2 x 1,165kN Shinsei Industry/GE FF-4001/C Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines.(leg/lower Nacelle engines)

· Secondary: 2 x 1,165kN Shinsei Industry/GE EF-4001/B Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines. (sholders/upper Nacelle engines)

· Auxiliary: 2 x 522kN Shinsei Industry FR-411A thermonuclear ramjets. (inner wing engines)

· 5,704kN total. T/W ration 48.1:1

Performance: Mach 5.4 at 10,000m

Other Design Features: 3-mode variable transformation; wing-mounted engines; canard forward wing; inward-canted vertical stabilizers; nose-mounted ventral fin; three-dimensional thrust vectoring; capable of attaining unassisted orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet; ISC (Inertia Store Converter): Shinsei Industry ISC/GC22; chaff/flare/smoke discharger system; cockpit designed for EX-Gear equipped pilot.

-Armament-

Guns:

· 1 x Mauler RÖV-20C 20mm beam gun

· 4 x Remington ES-25A 25mm high-speed machine guns

· Or 2 x Remington ES-25A 25mm high speed machine guns and 2 x Mauler RÖV-25 beam machine guns

Bombs/Missiles:

· 12 x AIM-255 semi-recessed long range High maneuverability missiles

· 4 x internal micro missile launchers (1 on either side of each engine Nacelle)

· 4 x outer wing hard points

· 2 x inner wing hard points (wet)

The primary Goals of Project Quasar with respect to the VF-400 Lazarus was to produce a high performance variable Fighter that would also be capable of filling multiple roles more readily than previous generation fighters. As such, Shinsei Industries has designed and produced a series of component packages that, thanks to the modular nature of the VF-400 allow the airframe to be readily converted from one form to another. These systems, referred to as Airframe Augmentation Packages (AAP), consist of replacement Upper nacelle and outer wing assemblies that allow for greater specialization and improved performance under specific conditions.

The AAP-04/AF unit is designed to optimize the basic VF-400 for atmospheric combat use. The AAP-04/AF’s (Nicknamed “Lightning bolt” when equipped) most notable features are its streamlined design and Massive engines. The engines, which are of the same make as the main thermonuclear turbines but fitted conventional exhaust nozzles, offer two advantages over the standard VF-400’s Rocket boosters. By switching to air breathing thermonuclear turbines the need for onboard propellants is essentially eliminated while in an atmosphere, thus improving range and available weapons load. The second advantage to the new engine arangment is an increase in thrust which, coupled with a sleeker low drag design, helps to offset the performance loss caused by the transition from space to air.

Additional changes include the removal of vernier thrusters to reduce weight and surface drag and the replacement of the 2 arm mounted 60mm beam guns with 4 25mm conventional machine guns. Despite the smaller caliber, the 25mm round suffers less energy loss and accuracy degradation due to the atmosphere and allows for greater volumes of fire, thus making them more suited to atmospheric use. Alternatively the aircraft can be fitted with 2 conventional guns and 2 25mm beam guns, thus increasing ammunition longevity and improving combat capability in space. As a result, the lightning bolt remains space capable; but suffers from considerably reduced capability in space when compared to its standard counterpart.

It should also be noted that in order to achieve the best aerodynamic profile the lightning bolt is almost never equipped with wing mounted weapons or gunpods, instead relying entirely on fixed and conformal weapons.

Edited by anime52k8

and the Cobra Spike:

________________________________________________________________________________

VF-400 Lazarus AAP-04/RQ “Cobra Spike

Technical Data

Equipment type: Airframe augmentation system for AWACS/ELINT use.

Introduction: 2061

Dimensions:

· Fighter: wingspan 16.48 meters; Length 17.22 meters

Mass: 11.8 metric tones

Propulsion:

· Primary: 2 x 1,165kN Shinsei Industry/GE FF-4001/C Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines.(leg/lower Nacelle engines)

· Secondary: 2 x 865kN Shinsei Industry/GE EF-4101A High performance boosters. (sholders/upper Nacelle engines)

· Auxiliary: 2 x 522kN Shinsei Industry FR-411A thermonuclear ramjets. (inner wing engines)

· 5,104kN total. T/W ration 44:1

Performance: Mach 4.8 at 10,000m

Other Design Features: 3-mode variable transformation; wing-mounted engines; canard forward wing; inward-canted vertical stabilizers; nose-mounted ventral fin; three-dimensional thrust vectoring; capable of attaining unassisted orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet; ISC (Inertia Store Converter): Shinsei Industry ISC/GC22; chaff/flare/smoke discharger system; cockpit designed for EX-Gear equipped pilot. AAP-04/RQ “Cobra Spike” pack with APS-501 radar (dorsal radome), ELINT Fin and long range communications/surveillance package (left nacelle/arm), fold space communication relay launcher (right nacelle, replaces micro-missile launcher)

-Armament-

Guns:

· 1 x Mauler RÖV-20C 20mm beam gun (head mounted)

· 1 x Sentinal HBC/HS-60B 60mm Heavy Beam Cannon

· 1 x Retractable anti-armor blade (mounted in right arm)

Bombs/Missiles:

· 8 x AIM-255 semi-recessed long range High maneuverability missiles (legs and central fuselage)

· 4 x outer wing hard points

· 2 x inner wing hard points (wet)

Optional Armament:

· 1 x Howard GU-17A 58mm gunpod

The primary Goals of Project Quasar with respect to the VF-400 Lazarus was to produce a high performance variable Fighter that would also be capable of filling multiple roles more readily than previous generation fighters. As such, Shinsei Industries has designed and produced a series of component packages that, thanks to the modular nature of the VF-400 allow the airframe to be readily converted from one form to another. These systems, referred to as Airframe Augmentation Packages (AAP), consist of replacement Upper nacelle and outer wing assemblies that allow for greater specialization and improved performance under specific conditions.

The AAP-04/RQ package (Nicknamed “Cobra Spike” when equipped) is designed to convert the VF-400 from an Aerospace dominance Fighter to a Forward deployed AWACS/ELINT aircraft capable of providing extended sensor coverage and long range early warning for other aircraft while still retaining a sufficient level of defensive combat capability. As well as providing information to other manned fighters, the Cobra Spike is also capable of coordinating the attacks of up to 12 AI controlled Drones (though 4-6 is much more common)

The Cobra Spike’s most notable feature is the Large dorsally mounted ASP-501 surveillance radar. The radome is supported by struts attached to the upper nacelles in place of the original vertical stabilizers, positioning the radar over the mecha’s head in battroid mode. The mecha is also equipped with a large ELINT fin and other Communications, thermal and fold space sensors. To accommodate these additional sensors the Left 60mm beam gun has been removed along with all four semi-recessed missiles on the arms and three of the 4 micro-missile launchers. The remaining launcher on the outside of the right shoulder has been modified to deploy communication relays and sensor buoys.

Despite the reductions in the mecha’s offensive capabilities, the Cobra Spike still retains ample performance and armament in order to defend itself form most battlefield threats.

Edited by anime52k8

• 2 weeks later...

time for a quick, colorful update: some colored line arts.

I'm kind of developing a whole unwriten backstory behind the design and the squadron but I don't really want to go into it to much. the important part though is that SVF-103 is field testing the VF-400 and it's variants. the VF-400A is in standard Cannon Fodder Colors (though I wouldn't call any VF-400 pilot cannon fodder); the VF-400F is the squadron leader; and the VF-400AF and RQ are are pre-production models being field tested (hence the F-15 prototype inspired paint scheme).

VF-400A_SVF-103_CF.jpg

VF-400F_SVF-103_White.jpg

VF-400AF-SVF-103.jpg

VF-400RQ-SVF-103.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All right, time for a few more updates.

first off I did some detail drawings for the 400F model. a little leg detail sketch, a nise large head profile, and most importantly the melee weapons. for those of you fallowing the Custom valk thread, I was debating whether I could throw on some kind of sword. well this is my solution

VF-400FDetails.jpg

I decided that a beam saber type weapon replacing the original anti-armor blade would be the easiest to draw and explain.

My in universe explanation:

Initially all VF-400's using the standard arm and shoulders had a retractable blade for melee combat in the right arm (works the same way as the VF-27's blade) but after initial combat experience against Forces from the Rouge Macross Crusade Fleet (the Crusade fleet and their mecha will be expanded apon as soon as I finish drawing their Valks ^_^ ) who's heavily armored valks are optimized for close quarters combat, the need for improved melee capability was quickly recognized. The quickest solution proved to be replacing the standard blade with a plasma Jet contained by the valks pin point barrier system.

Next up is the newest and most ridiculous VF-400 variant to date. The VF-400S with the AAP-04/β Drachen system.

VF-400SQB.jpg

The VF-400S is a unique variant of Lazarus family designed specifically for Experimental testing of both the valk itself as well as new combat systems. The Valk is has an expanded internal computer system and significantly more internal sensors for the purpose of data gathering during testing. to accompany the new sensor equipment, the 400S is equipped with a new head that includes 2 12.7mm lasers, 2 20mm lasers, and a large communication mask for transmitting data in flight.

So far only 3 S models have been produced. The first S model was also the first VF-400 unit delivered and was used for initial System and Flight Testing until it was permanently grounded. the second unit performed initial testing for all of the VF-400's airframe augmentation packs, including the AAP-04/β, before being destroyed in an incident still under investigation. the third and only flying example of the VF-400S was equipped with the AAP-04/β unit in 2061, and was deployed for combat evaluation as the number 4 plane of the SVF-103 Jolly Rogers squadron.

the AAP-04/β Drachen system is designed to test the concept of a Valk as a heavy anti-ship combat unit. as such the unit is equipped with a large heavy quantum reaction beam gun integrated into the right arm as it's primary armament. the valk also carries a Large shield on it's left arm capable of obsorbing intense fire, including the fire from it's own beam gun. the shield also carries 5 long range missiles and one micro missile launcher on it's underside.

since the AAP-04/β is meant to be a primarily space based valk, aerodynamics are not a primary concern. as such it's been equiped with larger high output boosters to counter the weight of the gun and shield, and in place of wings the boosters have large combination fuel blister/missile launchers. the units also has large pylons for reaction weapons/DE bombs, and a modified 60mm beam gun mounted in a turret on the left side.