The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

Probably not, especially with gas prices these days. I will test drive one when it comes out, that's for sure.

That's a shame, for a car with over 300HP they get pretty good gas mileage, i'm not in love with this car enough to want to get one, but it's definitely among the strongest in its market segment.

That's a shame, for a car with over 300HP they get pretty good gas mileage, i'm not in love with this car enough to want to get one, but it's definitely among the strongest in its market segment.

For a V8, it does get great gas mileage, but there is a world of difference between a V8 and a V6. I'd buy a Bullitt if my job wasn't in any Downtown area (whether it's Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena or L.A.).

I looked at the specs and it seems that the Bullitt is around the same performance range as the Shelby GT-H (or the non-rental Shelby GT).

I love the new Bullitt looks. If DHG was a color choice offered for the 2005 model, I would have opted for it. As much as I like the '08 Bullitt looks, however, I'm disappointed with its power (much like the 2001 Bullitt). It would have been nice to see a 5.0 modular under the Bullitt's hood, similar to the one in the Saleen PJ making 400 bhp. I do realize the cost would go up. :mellow:

Edited by Wicked Ace

Hyundai just unveiled their Concept Genesis Coupe at the L.A. Auto Show. They also mentioned that it will not replace the FWD Tiburon, as that car will have its own successor within the next few years. Instead, the Genesis Coupe uses the BMW E46 M3 as its benchmark. Hyundai claims the coupe's engine will generate in excess of 300 bhp.

4-hyundai-genesis-coupe-concept.jpg

6-hyundai-genesis-coupe-concept.jpg

Hyundai Concept Genesis Coupe Revealed

I actualy like it, i can already see people modding the front fenders to make a functional brake vent to work along the contour lines (a la Ferrari 599GTB). I don't think the V6 is that great, but the idea of a RWD 2.0L turbo car immediately brings one car to mind; Nissan Silvia. With that in mind, i know for a fact that this car will find a very nice place in the marketplace.

Hyundai just unveiled their Concept Genesis Coupe at the L.A. Auto Show. . . the Genesis Coupe uses the BMW E46 M3 as its benchmark. Hyundai claims the coupe's engine will generate in excess of 300 bhp.

I guess my reply to Hyundai's claims is a, "We'll see" from the real world. <_<

Edited by Wicked Ace

I guess my reply to Hyundai's claims is a, "We'll see" from the real world. <_<

The trick in the statement they posted is, "the coupe's engine" they didn't state which engine. Getting 300hp out of a 3.8L V6 is easy, getting that out of a 2.0L I4 turbo is not so easy. So they're telling the truth, just depends which side of the truth you're rooting for. As far as it keeping up with the E46, doubt it highly, then again, they have some pretty fast cars in Australia so i wouldn't be falling out of my chair if they kept up with the E46 (they're lead designer and engineer are both Germans after all).

Just came back from this year's L.A. Auto Show, and I took over 170 pictures. Here's the first batch:

Vector is back from the grave, as founder Gerald Wiegert unveiled the WX8. The specs claim it will be powered by a 10 liter twin-supercharged V8 rated at 1,850 bhp @ 6,000 RPM and 1,700 torque @6,000 RPM. Performance claims are 0-60 in 2.5 sec., 1/4 mile of 160 mph @ 10.0 sec. and a top speed of over 275 mph. Now those numbers have to be proven, especially since the display model is non-working. Aside from that, Wiegert should've come up with something better than Supra headlights.

Before moving along, I managed to have Mr. Wiegert pose beside his newest creation. Also, the booth was playing old videos of

, as featured in commercials for
Secret and Winston. They were also selling 1/18 diecasts of the W8 (the same car Andre Agassi owned before it caught on fire) for $40 ($75 with Wiegert's autograph).

It's hard to decide which hypercar is more mad: the WX8 or the Lamborghini Reventón. Both are obviously stealth fighter inspired and ridiculously expensive (the Reventón mainly because only 20 will be made, and the Vector because Wiegert likes to throw in random fighter jet crap in it).

post-237-1195370179_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370260_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370302_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370338_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370363_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370427_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370455_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370489_thumb.jpg

post-237-1195370882_thumb.jpg

I've yet to see any "stealth inspired" car that I though looked like it was. Could be the plane-nitpicker in me... :)

Seriously--adding random angles does not make "stealth". (of course, MY stealth car would be based off the YF-23, and there's an easy way to do a few key visual aspects)

Though I'll admit the Lambo does so far better---those new pics make it look much more F-22ish to me than the first ones I saw.

Vector M12 is probably my fave "outrageous appearance" car. I've always liked the metallic beige one. Only beige/tan car I've ever seen that I like. (of course, never seen a real one)

yum, GT-R; Vector and their outrageous HP projections. He stated that his WX-3 was going to have 1200hp twin turbo V8, but it ended up only having like 800hp, so if he says it's going to have 1800hp, i would guess maybe 1000-1200. It seems very possible from such a large displacement twin supercharged motor.

Meh. All these "uber-power" claims are like fish-tales--they just get bigger and bigger. Show me the dyno sheets, bub... <_<

Really, 450-500HP is really all that is needed for just about any roadgoing car, given the limitations of tire technology [and basically any public road].

I kinda like the Ferrari 430; I've just never thought it was as good a follow-up to the 360 as it could have been, aesthetically speaking. I've always thought the straight, angular design cues [ducts, headlights, etc] just clashed with the car's more organic, curvy lines. Don't like the 599 or the 612 so hot though. Those front ends just look, well, like goofy grins. Looks like they were designed by Pixar--just in time for CARS 2.

Mad props to the Mosler. Made it light; stuck in a relatively reliable and powerful small block V8; and packaged in a design that's much better looking than the Moslers of old.

Really, 450-500HP is really all that is needed for just about any roadgoing car, given the limitations of tire technology [and basically any public road].

This is so true. Of course, my credibility on the issue is dubious, given that I have never driven in a less-than-legal manner on a public street. :unsure:;)

Areaseven, thanks for posting up the pictures. :)

Edited by Wicked Ace

IIRC, the upcoming ZR-1 [or ZL-1, or whatever it is] Corvette will boast some obscene HP number, in the neihborhood of 650 or so. Yes, I know it's really all about the corporate mine's-bigger-than-yours-pissing-match. But really, c'mon. I think it's safe to say that very few to none of the people who buy this car--once it comes to market--will actually be able to utilize this brute to its full potential. Honest to goodness, if they're gonna unleash 4-wheeled missiles like these on the public, a 3-day competition driving course ought to be included in the price, just the same as the warranty. Not to teach these rich twits how to drive like they think they're an Andretti, mind you--but to teach them the fundamentals of high performance driving, understanding some of the bare essentials, like the "traction circle"; handling dynamics, and such...

Incidentally, I was passing by my local Ford dealer and stopped to take a gander at some of the "customs" they've managed to get on the lot. They have a Shelby GT500, a Shelby GT, and a couple of Foose ed. Stangs. I noticed the Foose's had a "$1,000 Gas Guzzler Tax Surcharge" on the window sticker. Hmph! Gas Guzzler Tax, on a car that has "17 and 25 MPG" ratings? :blink:

I'm not a fan of the '08 Bullitt's disco-dashboard.

I love the dash, machine turned metal is right on for the retro-feel.

That's what my T/A came with, and although later 2nd gen T/As are disco-like in their gaudiness the 70 T/A is not.

Edited by Phyrox

no V10 TT in the R8 yet eh? The new STI looks pug ugly in photos but actually looks pretty nice in person. I've been seeing quite a few new impreza's in my area and the proportions of the vehicle aren't bad at all, i still hate the front grill though.

• 2 weeks later...