The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

That's odd that the newer model was cheaper on your insurance. I agree with you on the 06 models being the best looking, the STI of that year also had sodium filled exhaust valves and longer sway bars which were both dropped in the 07 model year.

GM Chairman Bob Lutz just announced that pre-production Camaros will no longer wear camouflage. The only major noticeable differences between the pre-production model and the concept model are the mirrors, door handles and trunk. Now if only GM showed us the front...

camaro-official-1.jpg

Chevrolet Camaro (Pre-Production Model)

2006-Chevrolet-Camaro-Concept-RA-1280x960.jpg

Chevrolet Camaro Concept

Edited by areaseven

That's odd that the newer model was cheaper on your insurance. I agree with you on the 06 models being the best looking, the STI of that year also had sodium filled exhaust valves and longer sway bars which were both dropped in the 07 model year.

Not really all that odd. It's quite possible that the newer model has better safety features than the '06s resulting in a lower rate.

GM Chairman Bob Lutz just announced that pre-production Camaros will no longer wear camouflage. The only major noticeable differences between the pre-production model and the concept model are the mirrors, door handles and trunk. Now if only GM showed us the front...

I don't have the hatred for the new Camaro that the GM-loving people I know do, but the first pic is not a flattering view for the car.

Edited by Wicked Ace

They should just make every promo pic of a yellow one with black stripes. And maybe an Autobot logo on the hood. Sales!

PS---LOL. My log-in at the Camaro forums still works. I haven't been there since about '97 I think. Amazed that an unused account survived that long through forum upgrades, time, etc.

I think I'm jealous. I might be able to buy one 10 years from now when they start to fall into the hands of the mullet legion...

and especially since it's now considered an antique car, you can do whatever you want to it and not have to worry about emissions testing.

I believe that your car has to adhere to the emissions restrictions that exsisted when the car was produced. At least that's how it is for me in CA. My 70 T/A and 69 Caddy don't need to pass smog or have catalytic converters, but anything post-1974 (or is it '73?) does. Just because a car is 30 years old doesn't exempt it from the law. At least that's how its always been explained to me.

I'm amazed they kept the roof that low. I'm worried about headroom now...

It appears the car's beltline is higher, in order to give the proportional "chopped" look. The window sill is up past the driver's shoulder. Headroom shouldn't be a problem. All-around vision, on the other hand...can we say "blind spots"? :huh:

I don't have the hatred for the new Camaro that the GM-loving people I know do, but the first pic is not a flattering view for the car.

Hatred? Why would they? It certainly doesn't look any worse than the last generation of Camaros. They had the proportions of an aardvark with wheels--they were hideous in comparison...

I believe that your car has to adhere to the emissions restrictions that exsisted when the car was produced. At least that's how it is for me in CA. My 70 T/A and 69 Caddy don't need to pass smog or have catalytic converters, but anything post-1974 (or is it '73?) does. Just because a car is 30 years old doesn't exempt it from the law. At least that's how its always been explained to me.

It varies by state, and in some cases by county. If i go twenty miles south of where i live to Warrenton, they don't even have emissions testing, you can be driving a car with a jet engine and it wouldn't make shits different to them. As far as i know in VA, it's 25 years to be considered antique and then emissions is a none issue.

As far as the new Camaro, i didn't like it at first but its growing on me. For some reason, i can't help but think this will suffer the same fate as the GTO, not based on its looks or performance, but it'll be priced out of reach of the people who want them.

It appears the car's beltline is higher, in order to give the proportional "chopped" look. The window sill is up past the driver's shoulder. Headroom shouldn't be a problem. All-around vision, on the other hand...can we say "blind spots"? :huh:

It'll probably have the same visibility as the C6 Vette, which isn't very good, but still drivable. The Vette has a very similar stance and arrangement as the Camaro (sitting in a wedge), so i imagine they'll probably have very similar characteristics; is the Camaro going to use the new LS3?

Why would the insurance be cheaper on the '08? By the way, post some 'pics please!

Apparently the 2008 WRX has a 5 star crash rating + more airbags + stability control(on/off at will). The 06 has a premium package and my 08 does not. Luckily, I negotiated some accessories plus a special paint protection (xylon{sp?}) which makes me feel premium every time I get into my car :)

Maybe is the premium package, but the lady on the phone did point out the safety thing...

Edited by vlenhoff

I believe there is an association/club, mmm, SEMA? Which is for car enthusiasts. I had a client who did say he got some sort of break in the emissions thing. I believe they are involved with the state legislation who regulates laws regarding all vehicles. I believe SEMA's point of view is all about the collectible value of this cars.

(apologies if this is old, just found it myself)

This works on so many levels. Got a stupid ricer in your area? Especially ones with blue/purple lights. Suggest he upgrade to *synthetic* blinker fluid and give him this link. :)

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...p;products_id=6

Or, if his exhaust is just that huge, he might need a higher-quality muffler bearing to support it, and get the full 35hp his folgers can adds:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...;products_id=10

Soon after I first posted, I found the perfect solution to my tire pressure issues--seasonal air! I just need 4 cans of winter-air, and I'll be set:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...;products_id=45 Gotta love that it's 2lbs per can.

Also--A7, here's the perfect shirt for you: http://www.zazzle.com/kaleco/product/235442988664810234

Back to some real car talk...

Late last month, Chevrolet unveiled what should be the fastest production Corvette ever. Priced at a little over $100,000, the Corvette ZR1 is powered by a supercharged 6.2 liter V8 that's rated at 620 bhp and 595 lb-ft of torque. And just for means of showing off, the carbon fiber hood has a polycarbonate window that gives people a view of the intercooler. Wow.

2009-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-Blue-Front-And-Driver-Side-Top-1920x1440.jpg

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

At first i thought this car was going to be worth every penny, but for about the same price (car+treatment) you can have Lingenfelter twin turbo your Z06 and it'll yeild 100hp and 100 torque more than the ZR-1

Or, go buy an LS3 Corvette and do heads/cam and your choice of supercharger.

needs bigger everything :lol:

the new grill helps a lot, next you should take the motor out, flip the heads around so the exhaust is on the top and the intake is on the bottom, have custom intake minifolds made, then have all of your exhaust plumbing routed from the exhaust head (which will now be on the top of the motor) directly into the turbo, and then you can utilize a front mount intercooler (since you'll have the turbo and intakes on opposite sides, this'll make the plumbing for a front mount vastly more efficient), along with KEEPING the hoodscoop so it blows cool air directly onto the turbo helping to dissipate heat (along with dissipating heat form the exhaust being on top). Not only does this make the design more efficient, but also it'll run cooler and won't have heat rising through the block but only through the head... Just an idea i've had for a while but no money to implement it (lots of tools, no money), plus my car is NA, i'll need a donor WRX or STI to help save time.

Edit:

Of all the things they did on the new WRX, the only thing i really don't like are the dual exhausts, i really liked the fact that they had always routed to a single exhaust.

Edited by emajnthis

the new grill helps a lot, next you should take the motor out, flip the heads around so the exhaust is on the top and the intake is on the bottom, have custom intake minifolds made, then have all of your exhaust plumbing routed from the exhaust head (which will now be on the top of the motor) directly into the turbo, and then you can utilize a front mount intercooler (since you'll have the turbo and intakes on opposite sides, this'll make the plumbing for a front mount vastly more efficient), along with KEEPING the hoodscoop so it blows cool air directly onto the turbo helping to dissipate heat (along with dissipating heat form the exhaust being on top). Not only does this make the design more efficient, but also it'll run cooler and won't have heat rising through the block but only through the head... Just an idea i've had for a while but no money to implement it (lots of tools, no money), plus my car is NA, i'll need a donor WRX or STI to help save time.

Edit:

Of all the things they did on the new WRX, the only thing i really don't like are the dual exhausts, i really liked the fact that they had always routed to a single exhaust.

:unsure: mmm... man, I need some of that stuff you're smoking :lol:

Edited by vlenhoff

I've been thinking about putting in some kind of force induction/turbo in mine, but then there are too many vettes and M's around where I live. Turbo make you quicker, bigger engines win in the long run IMO.

I like the front end of the wrx, I think the dual exhausts is an improvement. But if you're going to change out your exhaust, please don't put in any cheap fart can. :p

It's like every time I pull up at the light next to a small import, the other guy always want a race, you be easy on those guys. :D

:unsure: mmm... man, I need some of that stuff you're smoking :lol:

My green is just lack of sleep; i've been working 80 hour weeks and have entirely too much thinking time. The good news is, while i was thinking of this, BMW already did this exact idea with their soon to be released 4.4L twin turbo V8. On a V8 it's very efficient, though i feel the flat configuration with it's uncanny amount of piping would benefit more from this sort of treatment. Also have some ideas regarding revolvers that my brother and i might venture into. I really need some sleep :unsure:

I've been thinking about putting in some kind of force induction/turbo in mine, but then there are too many vettes and M's around where I live. Turbo make you quicker, bigger engines win in the long run IMO.

I like the front end of the wrx, I think the dual exhausts is an improvement. But if you're going to change out your exhaust, please don't put in any cheap fart can. :p

It's like every time I pull up at the light next to a small import, the other guy always want a race, you be easy on those guys. :D

I though about exaust, but it'll have to wait. Dual pipes, means dual mula! And don't worry I take it easy on the ricers... I always let them think they are going to win :lol:

Nah, I'm mostly a cool headed drivah.