TV Season 2004

Blaine23

I watched a few of the show I'd recorded on the DVR last night and I got to wondering if you guys had any favorite TV shows currently on air. I try to check out at least a few new shows, based on what I've read online etc... here's a few that I thought were worth the 50 minutes or so that I spent watching them.

Veronica Mars - The commercials didn't impress me. In fact, they nearly stopped me from ever watching this show, but I decided to try it based on a recommendation from a guy I knew who'd seen the pilot he downloaded.

I came away really surprised. Essentially, it's the story of a cute high school girl who works for her dad's detective agency and is trying to unravel the mystery of a local death that ruined her and her family's status in town.

What was good - the writing, the writing, the writing. The dialogue was excellent and not at all what you'd expect from teen fare. The show played solid homage to it's detective-noir roots while still managing to be current, touching and funny.

Recommended: To anyone who was a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or My So Called Life. Or anybody that enjoys a well-written hour of detective fiction.

CSI: NY - No big surprise that this is a good show. It's a solid franchise and it has Gary Sinise in the leading role. I expected the same thing as the other shows, but with a New York skyline used for cutaways. I was surprised to find that the pilot was moody, somber, and actually creepy as hell. Playing up the "gothic" of New York, the sets are routinely gorgeous and somewhat unbelievable - but CSI:NY doesn't look like a world in a vacuum. New York crimes scenes are dirty, the apartments cramped, and the evidence is harder to find.

What was good - Sinise. The story. A fresh look at what's already being shown all over CBS in two top shows.

Recommended: Obviously to anyone that enjoys CSI or CSI: Miami. The show is darker than CSI and completely lacking the cheezy Caruso in a Humvee factor of CSI: Miami. I'd also recommend it to anyone who likes HBO Autopsy shows or the similar ones on Discovery... the show had a creepy, David Fincher vibe in the pilot and I hope they stick to it.

Lost - This is the big hyped show of the year. The creator of Alias brings you a story of a group stranded on an island... where mysteries abound. Like the Alias pilot, Lost grabs you in the first few seconds and doesn't really let up. There's tons of "I know that guy!" people in the large cast - included the oldest Party of Five guy, Merry from LotR, and the replacement pilot from the Matrix sequels. I admired the show's pace and it's obviously expensive as hell look. Who knows if they will sustain itself for very long, but it made for a very cool hour of TV in the pilot. I also like that I'm still not sure what's out there in the jungle. Is it Jurassic Park? Land of the Lost? Gilligan? I'll definitely watch to find out. I just hope it doesn't end up as convoluted and meandering as Alias ended up becoming. Also, Evangeline Lilly, a newcomer, plays the female lead and she's easily as attention-getting as Jennifer Garner... personally, I think she's hotter.

Recommended: To just about anyone... the show hasn't really revealed itself as anything more than a story of people marooned, but it seems apparent that there will be some sort of "otherworldly" aspect to it. So far, I'm curious - but I'm not completely sold on the fact that this will be fun to watch every week.

And, this one isn't a "new" show, per se... but it is IMHO the best damn show ever to put on TV.

The Wire - If you have HBO, you're probably like I was before this summer. You watch the Sopranos, simply because every now and again it's incredible. You may watch Six Feet Under or Deadwood, because you hope it'll be the next Sopranos. You watched Carnivale, scratched your head and said, "huh?" and maybe watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it's on. Then there's that TV show that all the critics rave about and nobody you know ever watches. The Wire.

So, you sit down one day and watch an episode... and you have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. There's cops, but they aren't like the TV cops on every other show... they don't always get their man, they are often complete wrecks, and they seem to deal with their own inner department politics as much as they do criminals. Then there's drug lords... who don't live on yachts or sip crystal as they discuss cliches about "the hood." They take economics classes and they live in the crappiest places in America and they fear competition almost twice as much as they do the police. Then you have dock workers and their union... huh?

I tried to watch it and gave up after about 15 minutes. Eventually, I had heard enough praise to get on hbo.com and figure out when they were going to start airing the repeats from Season 1 in order and began watching. The show demands that from its viewers... it's more like a novel than TV. The plots are insanely intricate and the reality of it is undeniable and depressing. But once you take the trouble to watch it... the show is better than anything else you've ever seen. Season 3 started last week and it's incredible.

But I'm telling you not to watch it.

Instead, get HBOonDemand and watch the first 2 seasons. Download them off of the internet... anybody with BitTorrent can. Wait for HBO to release DVD sets of the first 2 seasons (a complete shame that they haven't already) and rent them. Or wait until HBO begins showing old episodes on HBO2 later this year.

Normally, I'd never ever recommend anyone go through this much trouble, but this show is just that damn good.

Recommended: To anyone that enjoyed Homicide or Law & Order. To anybody that is related to a cop or has been a cop. To anybody that likes great television. To anyone who's ever wondered why the War on Drugs could never be won. To anybody that reads books.

Okay, that's enough of me blabbering.

What do you guys watch on TV when you're not re-watching Macross or examining the Star Wars DVDs frame by frame, looking for more silly Lucas changes? :D

Lost - This is the big hyped show of the year. The creator of Alias brings you a story of a group stranded on an island... where mysteries abound. Like the Alias pilot, Lost grabs you in the first few seconds and doesn't really let up. There's tons of "I know that guy!" people in the large cast - included the oldest Party of Five guy, Merry from LotR, and the replacement pilot from the Matrix sequels. I admired the show's pace and it's obviously expensive as hell look. Who knows if they will sustain itself for very long, but it made for a very cool hour of TV in the pilot. I also like that I'm still not sure what's out there in the jungle. Is it Jurassic Park? Land of the Lost? Gilligan? I'll definitely watch to find out. I just hope it doesn't end up as convoluted and meandering as Alias ended up becoming. Also, Evangeline Lilly, a newcomer, plays the female lead and she's easily as attention-getting as Jennifer Garner... personally, I think she's hotter.

Recommended: To just about anyone... the show hasn't really revealed itself as anything more than a story of people marooned, but it seems apparent that there will be some sort of "otherworldly" aspect to it. So far, I'm curious - but I'm not completely sold on the fact that this will be fun to watch every week.

Lost seems prety good. I'll at least watch a few more episodes, unless it suddenly turns to a big, gooey ball of suck. And is it just me, or does the doctor guy from the pilot look disturbingly like Adam Sandler. I kept expecting him to break out the silly childish voice, or start shouting at somebody. :lol:

And they're obviously on the Island of Dr Moreau, silly. :p

CSI is always a favorite, at least the Las Vegas show. Awesome. As for Miami: Can't stand Caruso, didn't like Miami at all, much poorer cast. I do really want to see NY though, haven't been able to yet.

Two and a Half Men, Still Standing, and George Lopez are the only three sitcoms I make any effort to see, love those shows. Good casts, funny, and don't push the annoyance factor too much, unlike According to Jim, which I enjoy sometimes, but they get too annoying at times. I really liked Raymond for a while, but now that show annoys me too.

Iron Chef simply rocks. Whenever I can catch it, I watch it.

Monk was awesome too. Great cast, and Tony does really well there. I really enjoy that show. Funny stuff, with good ol' detective work.

I'll tape Enterprise and do my best to keep up with it this season, though I'm not expecting too much out of it, I'm hoping at least they'll make it an enjoyable final(?) season.

That's about it. I don't get to watch much TV between work, school, and going out (my anime dvd viewing backlog is enormous). There's just a whole bunch of crap on these days so I know I'm not missing much. I refuse to watch reality TV. I do watch CN a lot at night (Teen Titans and some of Adult Swim on weeknights), I also hit History Channel, Fox News, and CNN when I can, usually while I do my internet browsing/downloading.

I'm gonna start taping JL:U.

Edited by Anubis

I saw lost, they're showing it again tonight if anyone missed it... there's a dog with a collar following them around. I think if they stay out of the woods and not wear anything red they'll be fine...

Not a new show, but an old one I suddenly became a huge fan of for some reason, Scrubs! Not just because Heather Graham is now part of the show and the lesbian connotations between her and Sarah Chalk is certainly intruiging, but for some other reasons that I just can't think of right now... because Heather Graham is now part of the show and the lesbian connotations between her and Sarah Chalk is certainly intruiging.

And, this one isn't a "new" show, per se... but it is IMHO the best damn show ever to put on TV.

The Wire - If you have HBO, you're probably like I was before this summer.  You watch the Sopranos, simply because every now and again it's incredible.  You may watch Six Feet Under or Deadwood, because you hope it'll be the next Sopranos.  You watched Carnivale, scratched your head and said, "huh?" and maybe watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it's on.

Hey, they film The Wire in the building where TheLoneWolf, and I work. ;) Whenever you see the FBI Field Office, that's a giant unused office space across from our cafeteria on the 6th floor. One day, I came out from lunch, and they had the door propped open, and there was this big ass FBI seal hanging on the wall.

Our building has also been a courthouse, and a couple of other locations as well. Several people here have seen and met the stars of The Wire running around our areas from time to time. And they are constantly surrounding our building with trailers etc when they are shooting. It's neat to see all that stuff going on.

Come to think of it, HBO is doing ALOT if filming in Baltimore. Last year, I came out in the middle of summer, and there is a historic hotel across the street from our building. They had the sidewalk in front of the street covered with blown in snow, fake snowbanks, and 1970's cars. Not sure what the movie was, but I know it was HBO. And just last week, two of the guys from my section saw Christopher Plummer on another set just down the street.

As to the rest of the HBO shows....

The Sopranos - Get it over with already. I've heard all the pseudo italian I want to, and they have fleshed the characters out ad nauseum. Let's just wrap it all up now, and see who gets whacked.

Six Feet Under - Or as I like to joke with my wife Gay Sex Weekly - Look, I have nothing against alternate lifestylers, but I swear every chance this show gets to show two guys swapping spit they take it and RUN. Now, the flipside is that there aren't many attractive women on the show, so they are probably only working with what they have but still. If I wanted to watch graphic gay sex, I would watch Queer as Folk.

That gripe out of the way, I really cannot stand more than one character on that show, the rest of them are just a bunch of whiny, self absorbed pricks and prickettes, and I really only watch it to see when one of them will wind up on the slab. (oh, and because my wife watches the show, so by proxy, so must I).

Carnivale - Like Blaine said...huh?

Curb your Enthusiasm - Can't stand it, I liked Seinfeld, but I think Larry David really should have stayed behind a desk. I know it's supposed to be a comedy about how people really are etc etc, but his character is such a complete asswipe, that I can't even stand to hear the theme song.

Sex and the City - THANK GOD IT'S OVER! Now I don't have to suffer through it while my wife watches (we only have one TV can you tell? :D ). WHY, OH WHY did Kim Cattral wait until she was an old hag to start getting naked, and talking dirty?. Kim - the time for you to have done that was back in the Mannequin days, NOT NOW!

Anyway, that's my mini HBO rant.

Edited by Mechamaniac

I have too many shows to watch plus I have school and Work god bless Bit torrent

I was Never a friends fan but Joey is funny.

Veronica Mars seems Decent

LAX is silly but good(My Dad is a retired Comercial Jet pilot so its kinda cool to see how the other half lives aka any one who didnt fly the plane but did everything else)

NYPD Blue Final season got to watch

Jag and NCIS NCIS Seems to be a better show.

Lost I still have to watch the Downloaded Pilot but for now nothing come between me adn my smallville

Father of the Pride Funny funny stuff

I hate that they Switched George Lopex to Tuesdays. gets in the way of NCIS.

CSI CSI Miami, NYC all good shows.

Edited by Otaku-Smeghead

Six Feet Under - Or as I like to joke with my wife Gay Sex Weekly - Look, I have nothing against alternate lifestylers, but I swear every chance this show gets to show two guys swapping spit they take it and RUN. Now, the flipside is that there aren't many attractive women on the show, so they are probably only working with what they have but still. If I wanted to watch graphic gay sex, I would watch Queer as Folk.

Great show, best characterization... I hate cable so I have towatch the DVDs. I'm only on Season 2... :(

CSI As for Miami: Can't stand Caruso

Noone can stand Caruso.

Even in the trailer spots they air for the show where the whole cast is standing there, he still has that smug, arrogant look on his face.

It's sort of like he's thinking....."Yeah, look at me now. Sure, I thought I was king of the airwaves and left NYPD Blue high and dry sending my career into a 7 year lap around the toilet bowl, but now I'm back, and smug as ever."

Let's just hope they don't show his ass on CSI.

I guess I prove to be the freak of the bunch again, as I prefer CSI Miami over the original, and I'm certain the same will prove true with the new CSI starring "Lt. Dan". I don't see what the problem with Caruso is-I enjoy the cool, calculating manner of his, not to mention the gorgeous Emily Procter and the cute southern girl she plays. I really do wish they hadn't killed Speed though, as he was the character I felt I could relate to...

I am still saddened at the loss of the Practice, and I am truly afraid of the the Melrose Place styled Boston Legal that is being spun off of it.

Any other shows this season to me are irrelevant. Why? Because my rabbit ears can't pick up any other stations...

heh,

In one of the Veronica Mars promo, they quoted "this may be this years new Buffy the Vampire Slayer". If that's what they wanted, why did they cancel Buffy?

Enterpise, I'm only watching this because I'm sure they will go back in time and eventually meet Jesus.

F.

Mechamaniac - I've only been to Baltimore once, but after The Wire I can probably direct you to all the best places to score smack. :lol: The show is very, very set in Baltimore and the city is apparently very cool with letting them film all of the place, even if it's sometimes showing the city's dark side.

I love Six Feet Under as well, but it's grown too angsty (which is hard since it was angst-a-riffic from the get-go). I'm always surprised when people think of it as a "gay" show, though. I always see it as a show about family - with awesome writing.

Nip/Tuck is one of my fiance's favorites... and I have to admit I don't usually mind watching it. I can only imagine how much like Valhalla it must be to be an attractive plastic surgeon in Miami, a city known for drugs, supermodels and the beach.

I'm not really much of a sitcom guy - but I love the Scrubs and I'm enjoying the Father of the Pride show... Siegfried & Roy are just about the funniest things since, well, the real Siegfried & Roy.

On the reality front - Survivor, Apprentice. Mark Burnett is a saavy dude.

In one of the Veronica Mars promo, they quoted "this may be this years new Buffy the Vampire Slayer". If that's what they wanted, why did they cancel Buffy?

Buffy ended because Sarah Michelle Gellar's contract was up. Angel got cancelled prematurely - but you can pin on that on the WB.

And to be fair to UPN, Buffy was getting stale... and a new show costs way less to make.

The Wire - If you have HBO, you're probably like I was before this summer. You watch the Sopranos, simply because every now and again it's incredible. You may watch Six Feet Under or Deadwood, because you hope it'll be the next Sopranos. You watched Carnivale, scratched your head and said, "huh?" and maybe watch Curb Your Enthusiasm when it's on. Then there's that TV show that all the critics rave about and nobody you know ever watches. The Wire.

So, you sit down one day and watch an episode... and you have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. There's cops, but they aren't like the TV cops on every other show... they don't always get their man, they are often complete wrecks, and they seem to deal with their own inner department politics as much as they do criminals. Then there's drug lords... who don't live on yachts or sip crystal as they discuss cliches about "the hood." They take economics classes and they live in the crappiest places in America and they fear competition almost twice as much as they do the police. Then you have dock workers and their union... huh?

I tried to watch it and gave up after about 15 minutes. Eventually, I had heard enough praise to get on hbo.com and figure out when they were going to start airing the repeats from Season 1 in order and began watching. The show demands that from its viewers... it's more like a novel than TV. The plots are insanely intricate and the reality of it is undeniable and depressing. But once you take the trouble to watch it... the show is better than anything else you've ever seen. Season 3 started last week and it's incredible.

But I'm telling you not to watch it.

Instead, get HBOonDemand and watch the first 2 seasons. Download them off of the internet... anybody with BitTorrent can. Wait for HBO to release DVD sets of the first 2 seasons (a complete shame that they haven't already) and rent them. Or wait until HBO begins showing old episodes on HBO2 later this year.

Normally, I'd never ever recommend anyone go through this much trouble, but this show is just that damn good.

Recommended: To anyone that enjoyed Homicide or Law & Order. To anybody that is related to a cop or has been a cop. To anybody that likes great television. To anyone who's ever wondered why the War on Drugs could never be won. To anybody that reads books.

Season one has been on DVD for a While now, it's about $70.00 at Deepdiscountdvd. I'm still waiting for two. This has been my favorite show period for the past 2 1/2 years. :D

I guess Baltimore is the center of (good)crime dramas. Homicide:LOTS was based there too.

And that's odd too, because everyone in this area (MD, DC, VA) knows that if you want real, gangland violence, go to Prince George's County MD, or Southeast DC.

It's like the old west down there. The thugs in Baltimore pale in comparison.

Not a new show, but an old one I suddenly became a huge fan of for some reason, Scrubs! Not just because Heather Graham is now part of the show and the lesbian connotations between her and Sarah Chalk is certainly intruiging, but for some other reasons that I just can't think of right now... because Heather Graham is now part of the show and the lesbian connotations between her and Sarah Chalk is certainly intruiging.

Scrubs!!!

My fav show next to 24. Scrubs is hilarious; it just fits my humor so well, I can relate to J.D. at times. Speacking of Zach Braff; he is awesome. You guys have got to check out his film Garden State (co starring with Natalie Portman). Awesome movie...the man is a genious

Another show I watch is Las Vegas; I don't know why but I just find it enjoyable.

Best drama though is sports; so right now I've got my hand full with Baseball (NL West penant race) and Football (fantasy!)

And again, go see Garden State :D

Not a new show, but an old one I suddenly became a huge fan of for some reason, Scrubs!  Not just because Heather Graham is now part of the show and the lesbian connotations between her and Sarah Chalk is certainly intruiging, but for some other reasons that I just can't think of right now... because Heather Graham is now part of the show and the lesbian connotations between her and Sarah Chalk is certainly intruiging.

Scrubs!!!

My fav show next to 24. Scrubs is hilarious; it just fits my humor so well, I can relate to J.D. at times. Speacking of Zach Braff; he is awesome. You guys have got to check out his film Garden State (co starring with Natalie Portman). Awesome movie...the man is a genious

Another show I watch is Las Vegas; I don't know why but I just find it enjoyable.

Best drama though is sports; so right now I've got my hand full with Baseball (NL West penant race) and Football (fantasy!)

And again, go see Garden State :D

Garden State was great but he was kinda rehashing his character from Scrubs. Great movie nonetheless...

I know why you watch Vegas, cuz it's full of hotties...

Bah! That race is over. We'd have to sweep the Dodgers this weekend if we are going to take the West. And that's if we win tonight.

Yes. I'm a Giants fan. And you'd better not be a Dodgers fan! :p

Giants had best set their eyes on the Cubs and get that Wild Card spot. Listening to the Cubs blow their save in the top of the 9th as I write this! :D

H

P.S. Saw Garden State. Loved it. Yes, Zach Braff is a genious. Don't listen to those who find Donald Trump watchable. :lol:

Edited by Hurin

Yes.  I'm a Giants fan.  And you'd better not be a Dodgers fan!  :p

Giants had best set their eyes on the Cubs and get that Wild Card spot.  Listening to the Cubs blow their save in the top of the 9th as I write this!  :D

H

P.S.  Saw Garden State.  Loved it.  Yes, Zach Braff is a genious.  Don't listen to those who find Donald Trump watchable.  :lol:

I'm watching the gamecast, too! And yes, I am a G-Man :D

Although, I've got a Cincinatti cap on right now, haha.

Finally - - out of all my friends and co workers I told to go see Garden State, only 2 have seen it. Hopefully more people give it a chance, Braff deserves some credit for making that film in 6 weeks.

Edit in: Cincinatti won! woohoo! If only the Gmen can pull one out,too

Edited by Valkyrie23

Garden State was great but he was kinda rehashing his character from Scrubs. Great movie nonetheless...

I know why you watch Vegas, cuz it's full of hotties...

Thats very true. But it works for me since I really like his character on Scrubs =) Maybe people who catch onto Garden State would start watching Scrubs ...

Oh, about Las Vegas, um, yeah I guess that is why I watch that show, lol.

I guess Baltimore is the center of (good)crime dramas.  Homicide:LOTS was based there too.

Good reason for that... his name is David Simon. Author of the novel Homicide (that the show was based on), The Corner (which was HBO miniseries, similar to the Wire) and he's the executive producer of The Wire.

David Simon on hbo.com

Season one has been on DVD for a While now, it's about $70.00 at Deepdiscountdvd. I'm still waiting for two. This has been my favorite show period for the past 2 1/2 years. 

According to Amazon.com it will be released on October 12th.

And Garden State was a good movie... not seeing the Oprah connection, though. Then again, I wouldn't know an Oprah connection if it tackled me and forced me to trust me feeling to Dr Phil. :blink:

Edited by Blaine23

obviously a member of Oprah's bookclub as well.  ;)  :lol:

Man you really are a hater-ist gene :p

btw, go see the movie, haha

i'll go see it if natalie portman gets nekked? does she get nekked?

probably just me here, but there has to be some sort of reward for sitting through one of those types of movies. :D mushy movies make me sad. :(:lol:

Edited by haterist

I loved Homicide for the first few seasons, but the last season+ blew. I'm originally from Baltimore, BTW. (Well, just outside the city.) Don't get HBO so no Wire.

What I watch regularly, at least during the regular season:

Father of the Pride--pretty good so far. I'm impressed that Siegfried and Roy are okay with the parody.

The Simpsons--still chugging along

King of the Hill--remains enjoyable

Malcolm in the Middle--ditto

The Daily Show--always has fresh material

Sex and the City--missed the original run, quickly became a favorite on TBS

Smallville--missed the season premiere, dammit; cheesy but entertaining, and the Luthors are fun to watch

Home Movies--many of the crew from Dr. Katz make this a great one IMO

South Park--no signs of stopping

Sealab 2021--hurray for late-nite creative freedom

Aqua Teen Hunger Force (sometimes, probably less than I should)--ditto

Iron Chef--not so much anymore--maybe I've seen all of them?)

MXC--good times

The McLaughlin Group--most entertaining political talking head show

Things I Hate About You--if you have a mate, it's good because you can (a) look at each other knowingly (b) feel relieved that you're not as annoying as these couples (hopefully).

Boy, that's a lot of TV. Luckily, I have a DVR, so I can watch when I feel like it and skip the commercials.

Smallville--missed the season premiere, dammit; cheesy but entertaining, and the Luthors are fun to watch

ewilen. I can stream it to you via my Tivo. Check your PM.

As for Sex and that City on TBS. Are you insane!?! It's mangled beyond recognition in order to conform to broadcast standards. :)

H

Late Edit: Oh, it's not really a Tivo. It's a custom built Tivo-like DVR. :)

Edited by Hurin

Season one has been on DVD for a While now, it's about $70.00 at Deepdiscountdvd. I'm still waiting for two. This has been my favorite show period for the past 2 1/2 years. 

According to Amazon.com it will be released on October 12th.

My bad, The pre-order has been up for about a month and half. :unsure:

Watched lost again tonight of the new shows this and father of the Pride are my favorites