what is "Macross 3D VFX"

newca

It was suppose to be the next OAV series, although, things got in the way and the project was put on permanent hiatus.

I haven't heard about 'things getting in the way'.

The rumor I did hear was that the CG character designs, which IIRC were first shown in an issue of New Type magazine received a lot of negative comments and so the project was cancelled.

Perhaps Egan Loo can clear up this matter for us.

Personally, I liked what I saw of 3D VFX on the 20th Anniversery DVD and would have liked to see it completed.

Graham

I haven't heard about 'things getting in the way'.

The rumor I did hear was that the CG character designs, which IIRC were first shown in an issue of New Type magazine received a lot of negative comments and so the project was cancelled.

You could call negative comments a "thing getting in the way" or a "road block". I use the term vaguely.

But it would be nice to hear what Egan has to say. Anybody want to wake him up?

It's a failure, just like M7, but they didn't release it. :rolleyes:  :lol:

I'd hardly call M7 a failure. While it may not be a fan favorite of mecha fans like Macross Plus, it does have a large hardcore fan base.

When Macross 7 first aired on TV in Japan (1994-95), merchandise sales, which are a good indicator of a shows popularity were pretty stong, expecially the CD sales, which were very high by all accounts. And compared with many non-Gundam mecha shows, there was also quite a large number of toys (12), plastic models (9) and many garage kits produced. While the number of toys and models can't compare to Gundam, it does compare very favorably to other contemporary mecha shows like Escaflowne, Nadesco & Gasaraki.

Also, for a while both Mylene and Basara were ranked very highly in the Newtype magazine readers poll of favorite characters. I'd have to dig out my old issues, but IIRC, for a while the may have even held 1st place and were definitely in the top 3!

Also, since Macross 7 finished it's run on TV, it has been released at least twice on LD incluing a boxed set and been released on official R2 DVD at least once as well. Unpopular shows don't get that many releases.

Also, a show which is a 'failure' would be cancelled before running it's full term (cough, cough Gundam X), not to mention having an additional 3 episodes released as an OVA and a 4 part sequel (D7) released. No, I think it's safe to say that Macross 7 was not a failure!

Graham

I personally liked the clip, especially the CG character designs. It's hard to distinguish a story from what little was there, but it definately appeared to be interesting.

The mecha scenes in 3D VF-X looked pretty damn good as well and looked as if they were made by the same company and at the same time as the VF-X2 game intro movie. IIRC, I think there was some shared footage.

Graham

The mecha scenes in 3D VF-X looked pretty damn good as well and looked as if they were made by the same company and at the same time as the VF-X2 game intro movie. IIRC, I think there was some shared footage.

Graham

Yeah, I think both were GONZO (Dynamite intro, both VFX games, Blue 6, etc).

It's a failure, just like M7, but they didn't release it. :rolleyes:  :lol:

I'd hardly call M7 a failure. While it may not be a fan favorite of mecha fans like Macross Plus, it does have a large hardcore fan base.

When Macross 7 first aired on TV in Japan (1994-95), merchandise sales, which are a good indicator of a shows popularity were pretty stong, expecially the CD sales, which were very high by all accounts. And compared with many non-Gundam mecha shows, there was also quite a large number of toys (12), plastic models (9) and many garage kits produced. While the number of toys and models can't compare to Gundam, it does compare very favorably to other contemporary mecha shows like Escaflowne, Nadesco & Gasaraki.

Also, for a while both Mylene and Basara were ranked very highly in the Newtype magazine readers poll of favorite characters. I'd have to dig out my old issues, but IIRC, for a while the may have even held 1st place and were definitely in the top 3!

Also, since Macross 7 finished it's run on TV, it has been released at least twice on LD incluing a boxed set and been released on official R2 DVD at least once as well. Unpopular shows don't get that many releases.

Also, a show which is a 'failure' would be cancelled before running it's full term (cough, cough Gundam X), not to mention having an additional 3 episodes released as an OVA and a 4 part sequel (D7) released. No, I think it's safe to say that Macross 7 was not a failure!

Graham

Graham, joke. ;)

But yeah, not to compare it to Robotech 3000(also 3D), it seems the 3D deal had only a short popularity. No one seemed to have wanted either series to go that route.

Edited by Wes

In fairness, robotech 3000 bombed more because it was being produced by Netter Digital (who did the majorly lackluster voltorn 3D), and was resembling exosquad a bit too much.

In fairness, robotech 3000 bombed more because it was being produced by Netter Digital (who did the majorly lackluster voltorn 3D), and was resembling exosquad a bit too much.

*twitches*

VOLTRON 3D DID NOT EXIST! IT NEVER HAPPENED! THEY DID NOT RAPE MY CHILDHOOD!

*twitches*

No amount of denial will ever make it clean. Hell, it had freakin' Tim Curry, and that ugly ass ninja voltron. Netter Digital had to die, it was the only way...

*twitches*

No amount of denial will ever make it clean. Hell, it had freakin' Tim Curry, and that ugly ass ninja voltron. Netter Digital had to die, it was the only way...

NDEI did some great space action sequences on Babylon5 props for that but WTF were they smoking when they did Voltron "The Third Dimension"?

Perhaps it was budget, or maybe they had a staff change, who know's. From seeing Voltron 3D, and seeing pictures of robotech 3000 with the alien loader mech & blue C3PO, nothing interesting would have been there.

*twitches*

I am resisting the urge to post the word "DENIAL" as many times as I can hit CNTRL+V.....