Caught a burglar red-handed in my house!

Majestic, that was a very foolish thing you did but thnakfully nothing happened to you nor your wife!!! What everyone already told you is 100% correct. In fact I'll share with you my first and hopefully only "official brawl with a thieves that had some legal consequences":

This was years back when I was still in college back in Boston (Spring 99). I had a class that ended at 10 pm and I had to take the bus home for awhile during that time. One time I was on the bus and there were a couple of teens on the bus who were obviously looking for trouble and I caught their attention (like I didn't see that one coming). One of them was about 6'4, at least 190 lbs came over but I ignored them. He then expressed interest in my cell phone and silver necklace. For the next 5 minutes this fool continued to try to smooth talk me while trying to make his way to my necklace. I blatantly dialed 911 on the cell but it didn't go thru and then asked the driver to stop the bus cuz I knew something bad was gonna happen. The driver didn't stop so I got up to move (I was sitting by the rear of the bus) and that's when the other guy who was standing in front of the bus' second exit door towards the middle of the bus made his move and lunged for my necklace. Only I turned around to grab it back and kicked him. His tall friend ran up to do something but the driver pulled over, opened the door and the 2 thugs and I fell out of the bus landing ont he tall one. The moment I got up I started punching and kicking the crap out of the one that grabbed the necklace (took various martial arts growing up). I beat him to the point I pinned him to a street light pole. Sometime during that the taller one got up and once again grabbed me by the back and pulled me away from his now bleeding friend. Except I stomped on his right foot, elbowed him in the guy and threw him over my shoulder (basic self defense move) ripping the hood off my jacket which he still had in his hand. At that point they had had enough both got up and started running and I bolted after them for 2 block yelling "Come back here! You're not getting away from me, you bastards!!" since the ass still had my necklace.

Turned out I didn't have to chase them far because the cops had arrived. Coincedently enough, the bus had pulled over at a corner in front of a police station and other passengers on the bus (who did nothing before) had gone in and gotten the cops. They got arrested and later at the police station when I was filling the report they told me the one that took the necklace had a knife and the tall one had a gun. I was just extremely lucky there were was some serious gender bias and underestimating that was going. No doubt the 2 thugs didn't expect me to fight back the way I did and probably would have shot or stabbed me. On the flip side, upon seeing my 5'5 and 120 lb frame, the cops were ready to take my side no matter what happened and not even gotten . "Don't you worry, Miss, we'll cruscify those guys" said one cop to me.

Eventually, my necklace was returned (they found it in his pocket) and I was paid $200 restitution for my torn jacket hood to replace the whole jacket, the parents of the one I thrashed filed a suit on the grounds that I used unnecessary force!! It was later thrown out by a judge (that also isntantly sided with me) on the grounds I acted in self defense (totally ignoring the part about me chasing them down the street) but it was a big legal headache for me. Afterall, I was very lucky there there was some serious gender bias and underestimating going around. Had I been a man I doubt things would have turned out the same. I could have been killed and the authorithies might not have been so lax with the law.

Looking back at it one could say it was cool and awesome when my stunt was just dangerous and stupid. What's the point of dying over material objects? Majestic, you're really lucky it was a kid and not some warped out druggie with a gun.

Majestic, that was a very foolish thing you did but thnakfully nothing happened to you nor your wife!!! What everyone already told you is 100% correct. In fact I'll share with you my first and hopefully only "official brawl with a thieves that had some legal consequences":

That was an awesome story, I love girls who kick ass. :lol: Did you have to testify at their criminal trial and did you find out how much time they have to do?

@JEMSTONE:

R E S P E C T ! :o:D

Honestly I just realized you're female at the end of your story...(Don't you worry, Miss....).

Was really thinking a guy just show's off! ;)

Can't really say about guns as I live in Germany and fire-arms - especially in private persons hand - are not something really common! You guys in the US have a real serious issue about this.

However a Knife also kills! :(

Still a good job Majestic! Got your surveillance already?? :ph34r:

Can't really say about guns as I live in Germany and fire-arms - especially in private persons hand - are not something really common! You guys in the US have a real serious issue about this.

Depends on the state. And city.

And issue implies it's a problem.

Now before you "fix" the US, go "fix" Switzerland. More of the population owns guns there than anywhere else in the world.

Not to derail the thread any further but the main issue with firearms in the US is the number of firearms in the possession of the wrong people illegaly. Almost all criminals do not walk into a gun shop and buy their guns, they get them illicitly. Steal them, buy them from crooked people, heck even make their own... the folly of firearms in America is they are too easy to get by people who have no business with them. I firmly believe it is every american's right to bear arms (or arm bears if they can hit the ten ring) as long as there is a process in place to see to it only the "right people" who have been trained and proven capable of handling them and the responsibilities that come with them can have access to them. I'm sure the founding fathers would agree that a crack addicted street urchin or methed up trailer slime has no business possessing a firearm of any sort, no matter what their "inalienable rights" under the constitution may be.

Majestic, that was a very foolish thing you did but thnakfully nothing happened to you nor your wife!!!  What everyone already told you is 100% correct.  In fact I'll share with you my first and hopefully only "official brawl with a thieves that had some legal consequences":

That was an awesome story, I love girls who kick ass. :lol: Did you have to testify at their criminal trial and did you find out how much time they have to do?

Didn't have to go to court or a criminal trial. They were juvies so a judge was in charge of their case. Plus it turned out the tall one was already on probation at the time and all of that had violated it. So I never had to show up in court regarding the attempted theft. Only for the law suit the parents filed.

The firearms laws varies from city to city and county. In Ma a person would be prosecuted up to the wazoo for shooting someone despite the intruder tresspassing on their property. Down here in Savannah GA the laws are rather lax. If somoone trespasses on your turf and you kill them, you're likely to only get a pat on the back from police for saving them the trouble.

Edited by Jemstone

See that is why Asia is almost an eden. Unless Graham can refute this. It is extremely rare for Asian gangs to really have a gun. Only the Yakuza or HK triads, or other such equally powerful gang can have access or the funds to buy a gun. That is why you have  other forms of violence like knife/machette fights baseball bats and such.

Thankfully, HK is a very safe city and we have very few crimes involving firearms. There are probably only a couple of armed bank or jewellery store robberies a year here and a lot of the time the bad guys are carrying imitation (airsoft) firearms, not the real thing.

It's not particulaly difficult or expensive for criminals to get fireams if they want them, as stolen PLA (Chinese Army) firearms can be smuggled across the border from mainland China pretty easily and bought cheaply.

However, it's pretty rare for Triad gangs to use firearms here. Don't believe everything you see in HK movies :p Triads are businessmen, with their main businesses being pirating movies and software, prostitution and smuggling. Having mass shootouts in the streets is bad for business.

However, back in the early 1990s, we did have quite a few big shootouts in the streets with ex-military criminal gangs using AK-47 rifles coming from mainland China to perform bank robberies in HK. Thankfully that doesn't happen these days.

In HK you can walk pretty much anywhere you want at anytime of the day or night wihout fear. Although there have recently been quite a few cases of poor mainland immigrants robbing hikers in country parks.

Of course we do have crime just like every other country, but according to the annual police report just released crime is down 7.5% from last year (read story here), except I think for the number of pickpocketing cases and rapes which are slightly higher.

Graham

The only thing I fear watching those series/movies are those gangs running with stilleto's... they'll chop u up. :unsure:

It's also strange that in HK they sell huge amounts of firearms replica as if they were candies..

It's weird to think that ur an adult at the age of 16 in the US... where in my country you have to be 18 :blink:

To be honest, America has several levels of "adult". In some states the age of consent for sex is as low as 13 or 14 but in some states you cannot procecute someone as an adult if they are under 21. Some states let you drive a car at 16 but you can't vote till 18 or own a handgun legally until 21.

Then when it comes to the juvenile courts system if the perp is close to the age cutoff (let's say the perp is 16 and the age cutoff for prosecution as an adult is 18) sometimes the prosecutor will take steps have them tried as an adult. Heck, sometimes they even bend that rule to take 14 year olds to trial as adults. It's all in how terrible the crime is and how "mature" the perp is.

Didn't have to go to court or a criminal trial. They were juvies so a judge was in charge of their case. Plus it turned out the tall one was already on probation at the time and all of that had violated it. So I never had to show up in court regarding the attempted theft. Only for the law suit the parents filed.

I had to cut work for a day and testify in court when a crime I semi-witnessed were committed by 2 punkass kids... they were tried as adults so it was a full-on jury trial. Their lawyer tried to discredit me, only to be surprised by my answer, which put them in the worst light possible. :lol:

Didn't have to go to court or a criminal trial. They were juvies so a judge was in charge of their case. Plus it turned out the tall one was already on probation at the time and all of that had violated it.  So I never had to show up in court regarding the attempted theft.  Only for the law suit the parents filed.

I had to cut work for a day and testify in court when a crime I semi-witnessed were committed by 2 punkass kids... they were tried as adults so it was a full-on jury trial. Their lawyer tried to discredit me, only to be surprised by my answer, which put them in the worst light possible. :lol:

Fine, keep all the juicy details and the comeuppance for the lawyer to yourself :p

I wouldn't call a girl being sodomized "juicy details"...

Anyway these 2 punkass kids were up to no good at the middle of the night at a traffic intersection. First they tried to jack my car but my door was locked and I drove through the intersection to get away from them. Turned out they went on to the car at the next lane and this girl didn't lock her car doors so they took out their gun and forced her to drive them to an ATM before taking their turns at her.

I drove to the local police station and there was NOBODY inside. So I went home and dialed 911 after standing around the station like an idiot for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Anyway the cops arrested the kids and their lawyers wanted to discredit my testimony and asked how many Hispanic friends I have. At the time I only had a close one that I considered a friend so I responded one. They then proceeded to try to make me come across as one of those ignorant "they all look the same" type and asked me where I grew up. When I told them South America their jaws fell to the floor while the DA could barely prevent herself from falling out of her chair laughing. They had no more questions for me after that. :lol:

Anyway the cops arrested the kids and their lawyers wanted to discredit my testimony and asked how many Hispanic friends I have. At the time I only had a close one that I considered a friend so I responded one. They then proceeded to try to make me come across as one of those ignorant "they all look the same" type and asked me where I grew up. When I told them South America their jaws fell to the floor while the DA could barely prevent herself from falling out of her chair laughing. They had no more questions for me after that. :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drove to the local police station and there was NOBODY inside.  So I went home and dialed 911 after standing around the station like an idiot for 5 minutes.  :rolleyes:

That's terrible. Far worst than me dialing 911 on a cell and it failed. Only time I ever had to testify in court as a witness was when I saw a crazy ass woman run over a kid with her car at a gas station. Freaking hilarious with the lawyers. LOL

Edited by Jemstone

I drove to the local police station and there was NOBODY inside.  So I went home and dialed 911 after standing around the station like an idiot for 5 minutes.  :rolleyes:

They musta just opened a Krispy Cremes...

Exactly my thoughts. There was a one-way glass so the cops inside can see if there were folks outside but no one ever came out while I was waiting at the front desk. I told the cops about this when they came to my house after dialing 911 and this "minor detail" was conveniently left out of the police report. <_<