The DVD Versus Thread

I've pretty much had it with "special ultra mega 5 star collector's gold platinum wee willy winky" editions, dammit.

Basically, it's coming down to this - if I liked a movie that was new release, I'll buy the previously viewed version of it at the local video store. If I loved a movie, I'll actually pay for the full version at Best Buy.

I've officially decided to just not notice anymore if a company releases a more extra groovy version of a movie a few months later. F-them.

It's so damn greedy and weird that it's kinda turned me off to buying DVDs, which is something I generally enjoy - building my movie collection.

No wonder people download this crap instead of buying it.

The funniest thing is - it does seem that the crappier the movie, the more special editions they'll throw out there.

Blaine, I agree and that's why I want to buy a movie just once. My main gripe isn't about extras but about the transfer qualities and hwo they tend to differ from version to version. All I ask is for a release with decent extras that are worth watching with clear sound and picture.

When my friend opened his copy of Hellboy, the first thing he saw in the case besides the disc was the ad that said something to the effect of, "Hellboy Special Edition COMING SOON!"

Bastards. <_<

I should add that you'll want to avoid the new Spiderman 2 DVD. Sam Raimi has said that he's putting together a "Spiderman 2.5" DVD for release next year.

Agh crap. I pre-ordered the Superbit version to see how it looks. I imagine whenever they kill the franchise they'll release all of them again.

A directors cut of Kill Bill might be coming August 2005

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/560/560012p1.html

and yet another version of the overrated film The Fifth Element

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/562/562569p1.html

and looking at IGN's DVD page there is a whole bunch of DVD SE coming out: Heat, The Crying Game, Taxi etc

I'm really getting sick of this <_<

I recommend against buying the newly released Shrek 2 DVD.

I have it myself and I see no problems with it. If you thought Donkey was annoying in the movie, wait till you see the main DVD menu.

Aside from that, the single-DVD release is loaded with lots of extras:

- Far Far Away Idol - The cast of Shrek 2 duke it out on a talent contest hosted by American Idol's Simon. You decide who wins.

- Cast and production staff interviews.

- Technical goofs.

- Production notes.

- Interactive section for kids - Fiona's Jukebox, Sing Along with Fairy Godmother, Find Puss in Boots, Rescue Fiona (trivia), Counting Crows music video.

- Trailers - Madagascar, Shark Tale and Millennium Actress.

I should add that you'll want to avoid the new Spiderman 2 DVD. Sam Raimi has said that he's putting together a "Spiderman 2.5" DVD for release next year.

Agh crap. I pre-ordered the Superbit version to see how it looks. I imagine whenever they kill the franchise they'll release all of them again.

Perhaps, but Raimi certainly doesn't make 2.5 sound all that vital...

Director Raimi To Film New Scenes for 'Spider-Man 2.5'

Not only does Sony plan to release the Spider-Man 2 DVD in November, but it also plans to release Spider-Man 2.5, with additional action and effects scenes next year, director Sam Raimi has told the website IGN.com. It is really not a matter of his wanting to release a director's extended cut of the film, Raimi indicated. "Sony said to me, 'We want to release a 2.5,' because they want to make more money. It's not really that I had some scenes to put in. The movie really was the best I could make it. It's not like I think I could make it better." Asked why the studio is waiting until next year to release the extended version, Raimi responded: "It's just a financial decision by the studio. They know that people who liked the second movie would want to own it as it is on DVD, and then it's just a gamble. 'Oh, if we spend another four million dollars, can we make another ten million dollars?' I think that's how it works."

Cyc

Well, it seems that Jemstone is correct about not buying the Shrek 2 DVD, as a new boxed set is out now in stores. Titled Shrek: The Story So Far, the boxed set includes Shrek and Shrek 2 (both in anamorphic widescreen format), plus Shrek 3-D and a fourth bonus disc. Depending on how much I'll get on this week's paychecks, I might pick up the set at Target for $39.99.

Shrek: The Story So Far

Well, it seems that Jemstone is correct about not buying the Shrek 2 DVD, as a new boxed set is out now in stores. Titled Shrek: The Story So Far, the boxed set includes Shrek and Shrek 2 (both in anamorphic widescreen format), plus Shrek 3-D and a fourth bonus disc. Depending on how much I'll get on this week's paychecks, I might pick up the set at Target for $39.99.

Shrek: The Story So Far

Grrrr... The Bastards. My first clue wa sthat the SHrek 2 DVD had an unusual release date and had no "special or collector's edition" in the title.

• 1 month later...

topguncoverold.jpgtopguncover.jpg

Top Gun

Paramount Pictures, 1986, 1998, 2004

If you own the barebones 1998 DVD release (left), trade it in ASAP for the Special Collector's Edition (right). The two-disc 2004 release is jam-packed with a heavy arsenal of features:

Disc 1

- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround or DTS 6.1 Surround.

- Audio commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, and naval experts who worked on the production of the film.

- Music videos: "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins, "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin, "Heaven in Your Eyes" by Loverboy and "Top Gun Anthem" by Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens.

- Original TV spots.

Disc 2

- Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun.

- Storyboards

- Behind-the-Scenes featurette.

- Tom Cruise interviews.

- Production gallery.

In addition, the new DVD has an excellent main menu design that looks like something out of Macross Zero.

The special edition Top Gun is well worth it...the original release was poor. Plus the new special version's DTS track is mixed so hot, you're neighbors will hear Maverick and Goose singing 'Great Balls of Fire'. :p Seriously...the DTS track is mixed extremely loud.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Uhh... Ok.... Why do we need an extended edition??  Added deleted scenes?  :huh:

post-409-1129588385_thumb.jpg

post-409-1129588403_thumb.jpg

337408[/snapback]

The deleted scenes are meh.. they're actually all in the original Gladiator SE release... this time they're mixed into the movie. Ridely Scott even says in the intro to this new set that this is not a directors cut... just an extended edition for those folks who want to see that stuff edited in...

The extras are cool though and there's tons of content a'la Lord of Rings for those interested.

Uhh... Ok.... Why do we need an extended edition??  Added deleted scenes?  :huh:

post-409-1129588385_thumb.jpg

post-409-1129588403_thumb.jpg

337408[/snapback]

The Extended Edition of the film itself is only worth it as an exercise in editing. Aside from that, the original/theatrical release on DVD is fine. But here's the thing, both the Extended and Original/Theatrical versions are included in the new, Extended DVD set. So if you don't own it, you can't lose.

Naturally, I'm a pretty big fan of Gladiator (and a Ridley Scott whore), so I own both :)

The extras I tend to like are the commentaries and the deleted scenes.

Usually both give you an insight into how the film was made, what creative elements had to be added or changed to meet some problem, and general advice on movie making. Kevin Smith, Ed Burns and Robert Rodriguez do a good job of this. Guillermo Del Toro is probably the most fun commentary to listen to, the guy seems like he has a ball making movies. The worst commentaries are usually by the actors. Esp in groups. Usually they are kissing each others asses and rarely give insight into their perfomances or how they prepared or anything helpful to people interested in the construction of movies.

Unless its a Criterion, I usually just wait until all the various editions are out to choose. I held back on the Criterion The Killer and Hard Boiled early on and I learned my lesson with Criterions.

The only real problem I have with the multiple releases is Netflix usually just stocks up on the first one thats made of a movie and rents that. And thats it. Except for a rare case like LOTR Extendeds, you don't really get a chance to try the superior or so called superior version before you buy it. ( i.e. King Arthur and Hellboy, Netflix has the regular first versions, but special editions came out later that they don't stock)

The best special editions I think are still Cameron's Abyss and Aliens, even way back on Laserdisc. The guy goes all out with this movies.

337411[/snapback]

[/quo

Guillermo Del Toro is a riot on the Blade 2 Dvd. That guys funny as hell.

He and Wesley Snipes both commented that they were hoping the female lead would've shown a little more skin on film.

Thanks for the input, guys. I can't justify another purchase for editing sake. However, while the new extras sound interesting I think I'll just look them up online. I just can't justify buying a second set and I'm more or less a DVD freak. Heck, I'm still holding out on buying Kill Bill because I know there will be a new set containing both volumes eventually.