Brent Spiner to guest on Enterprise

In another desperate attempt to get ratings.... lol. Who will be next on the show? Patrick Stewart(Picard) or Jonathan Frakes (Riker) lol

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/...reut/index.html

Will play ancestor of Data's creator

Monday, July 19, 2004 Posted: 1247 GMT (2047 HKT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- In a guest starring role sure to attract the attention of die-hard Trekkies, Brent Spiner, aka Lt. Cmdr. Data, is being beamed up to "Star Trek: Enterprise."

Spiner, who played Data on the syndicated "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and in several "Star Trek" features, has been tapped to do three episodes of UPN's "Enterprise," playing the great-great-grandfather of Dr. Noonien Soong, the creator of Data.

He previously played Dr. Soong in an episode of "Next Generation."

There has been a lot of speculation about another "Star Trek" veteran, William Shatner, possibly making a visit to "Enterprise," but sources indicated that there are no immediate plans for a guest appearance.

"Enterprise," originally scheduled for 9 p.m. Fridays in the fall, will now air at 8 p.m., to be followed by a repeat of the reality series "America's Next Top Model."

I was a die hard Trekkie once upon a time, but after the first ten or so episodes of Enterprise completely turned me off. Apparently they are trying to get those like me interested in the show. Unfortunately, it won't work with me because I don't have TV anymore.

I am so utterly tired of time travel in the Star Trek universe. It's like those seasons of TNG that took place entirely on the holodeck, or episodes where there were crazy or twin Datas.

When I saw on the last episode of Enterprise that they'd time traveled yet again to 1940s earth with alien SS officers, I went and watched Gene Roddenberry roll over in his grave a few dozen times.

Seeing as how he looks too old to play the role of Data (have you seen him in Nemesis...... ;) ) I'm sure the role of Dr. Soong's grandfather will be a nice change of pace.

But knowing Brent Spiner (who's wanted to kill of the character since First Contact) who knows that he'll do next. :ph34r:

I hate the time travel in Enterprise. It used to be a rare thing in Next Gen, DS9 and even in Voy but they seemed to do it more then the first two shows. Enterprises entire story is based on it and its sicking in my opinion. Doing a prequel was a horrible idea, they just should have kept moving forward or did a show set very close after DS9 but during the time of Voy or after the latest movie.

I hate the time travel in Enterprise. It used to be a rare thing in Next Gen, DS9 and even in Voy but they seemed to do it more then the first two shows. Enterprises entire story is based on it and its sicking in my opinion. Doing a prequel was a horrible idea, they just should have kept moving forward or did a show set very close after DS9 but during the time of Voy or after the latest movie.

That's why the timeline has been distorted, because all of the Enterprises keep traveling in time! Otherwise the tech in the new show wouldn't seem so advanced than Kirk's crew and the Klingons wouldn't have the turtle shell foreheads!

Yeah, the new Star Trek show, bombs. I tried to get into the action of the last season from the season premeire, but I drifted away.

I'm a big Trek fan, but I'll admit, it's running its course now.

Yeah, they bring back Will Shatner and he squeezes in a Priceline.com reference in...

You jest, but they just might.

www.scifi.com

Spoiler alert. Do not read if you don't want to know or have a serious heart condition

Rick Berman, executive producer of UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, revealed to SCI FI Wire several spoilers for the upcoming fourth season, including the possible casting of original Star Trek star William Shatner (Capt. Kirk) in a familiar role. "We're still discussing it with Bill," Berman said in an interview at UPN's fall press preview in Los Angeles. "He had a terrific episode [idea], and we had a nice long lunch meeting with him a couple of weeks ago. And there's a lot of things that need to get ironed out in terms of scheduling, in terms of money. ... But he would play an incarnation of a Kirk, yes. He would not be playing another character."

Berman added that the upcoming season will feature several stand-alone episodes and "miniarcs" of two or three episodes, as contrasted with season three's season-long Xindi storyline. "We're going in new directions for the fourth season, and hopefully there's going to be a mixture of smaller arcs," Berman said. "The first two episodes are going to be a small arc. And then there's going to be a single episode. And then there's going to be a three-episode arc. And there's going to be some levity, and there's also going to be some heavy subjects dealt with."

Among the other spoilers Berman and cast members revealed to SCI FI Wire:

•In addition to the previously announced guest appearance of Star Trek: The Next Generation star Brent Spiner as an ancestor of Data's creator, guest stars will include Girlfriends' Golden Brooks and The Sopranos' Steve Schirripa. "He plays a character in 1944," Berman said, referring to the season premiere.

•T'Pol (Jolene Blalock) may find herself getting married in episode three, Blalock said in an interview.

•The long-standing Temporal Cold War arc will be resolved in the first two episodes.

•The new season will be the first shot entirely on high-definition digital video instead of film as a cost-saving measure. UPN renewed the ratings-challenged Enterprise in part because Paramount, which produces the show, agreed to lower its license fee for the series.

•Manny Coto, a writer (Showtime's Odyssey 5) who joined the series in the third season and was responsible for many of the Xindi storylines, has been promoted to "show runner," in charge of the day-to-day operations and writing, while previous show runner Brannon Braga steps back into a more executive role.

Hey all that and J. Michael Straczynski told fans that he's pitching a new take on Star Trek to Paramount. :D

Edited by phoenix01

Here's even better news

www.scifi.com

Rick Berman, who has been shepherding the Star Trek film series, told SCI FI Wire that he has had "very, very early" talks with Star Trek: The Next Generation star and director Jonathan Frakes about a new Trek movie, but one that takes the franchise in an entirely new direction. "I spoke to Jonathan about a half an hour ago," Berman said in an interview July 20 at UPN's fall press preview in Los Angeles. "He's in Japan, and he's coming here [because] his film [Thunderbirds] is premiering Saturday here in Los Angeles. There are very, very early conversations going on about a film project. But they're so early that it's really kind of silly to talk about it now."

Berman added that the movie would not center on the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew, as have the last several movies. "The movie that we're having very early discussions about would have nothing to do with any of the characters that have ever existed on any of the Star Trek series," Berman said. "It would be an entirely new setting and an entirely new set of characters, and it would take place prior to any of the series, including [uPN's Star Trek:] Enterprise."

In the wake of the disappointing box-office performance of the last Star Trek movie, 2002's Nemesis, there has been little movement on a new Trek movie, and Next Generation cast members have said they are ready to hang it up.

If Berman's idea comes to fruition, it would mark the first Trek movie not based on a television series.

Here's even better news

www.scifi.com

Rick Berman, who has been shepherding the Star Trek film series, told SCI FI Wire that he has had "very, very early" talks with Star Trek: The Next Generation star and director Jonathan Frakes about a new Trek movie, but one that takes the franchise in an entirely new direction. "I spoke to Jonathan about a half an hour ago," Berman said in an interview July 20 at UPN's fall press preview in Los Angeles. "He's in Japan, and he's coming here [because] his film [Thunderbirds] is premiering Saturday here in Los Angeles. There are very, very early conversations going on about a film project. But they're so early that it's really kind of silly to talk about it now."

Berman added that the movie would not center on the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew, as have the last several movies. "The movie that we're having very early discussions about would have nothing to do with any of the characters that have ever existed on any of the Star Trek series," Berman said. "It would be an entirely new setting and an entirely new set of characters, and it would take place prior to any of the series, including [uPN's Star Trek:] Enterprise."

In the wake of the disappointing box-office performance of the last Star Trek movie, 2002's Nemesis, there has been little movement on a new Trek movie, and Next Generation cast members have said they are ready to hang it up.

If Berman's idea comes to fruition, it would mark the first Trek movie not based on a television series.

hmmm, doesn't strike me as good news as all... for me, good star trek news would go something like this:

Rick Berman, who has been steadily driving the Star Trek franchise into the ground with recycled plot lines and flat/stereotypical characters has stepped down from his position.

that would be good news.

You know honestly, how far back can you really take Star Trek? Hmmmm, sounds like a remix of First Contact to me. If I see one more "Prequal" I'm gonna snap. I'm entirely against "Enterprise" from the get go and have refused to watch the series.

If Shatner was to appear in Enterprise I would HOPE TO GOD he'd loose 70 pounds and get botox cause that's the only way I'd ever accept it as a fan of the classic and TNG. He's old, he's fat, and he's also a piss poor actor to boot lol.

I know damn...the more I think of cameos of the original characters from the first Star Trek I think of how sad things are getting, I mean most of them should be dropping dead like Defrost Kelly. My prediction is probably Lenord going next, he's pretty old himself. I remember first time I ever saw him was in an episode of the Outer Limits where he played a Jury member in the case of some Robot killing his creator, only decades later be doing the remixed version of that same story but as the Defense Lawyer for the robot.

.........yeah got off topic......uh, no more Movies, no more shows.....you killed it after Voyager UPN......thanks.

Here's even better news

www.scifi.com

hmmm, doesn't strike me as good news as all... for me, good star trek news would go something like this:

Rick Berman, who has been steadily driving the Star Trek franchise into the ground with recycled plot lines and flat/stereotypical characters has stepped down from his position.

that would be good news.

100% agreement. I happen to think that there is plenty that could be done with Trek, but Berman has mishandled the entire franchise from the moment he got on board.

Another prequel is a terrible idea, I have absolutely zero interest in the idea already. Either advance the series into the future, or pick a time period between TOS and Voyager and place a series in there somewhere. Anything! I mean, geez, a series featuring Sulu and the Excelsior would probably be a better idea than anything since DS9. DS9 was a great idea, but unfortunately done poorly, same with Voyager.

You want to go in a new direction? Forget everything you know about the Trek franchise and make a movie set in the Starfleet Battles/Starfleet Command universe. Certainly plenty of room for interesting happenings there.

I don't view Enterprise as a Star Trek series, per se, so as a science fiction drama, it works for me.

Now, showing me something older than even Enterprise... I have absolutely no interest in it at all whatsoever. I want to see the future, god damn it. After I've seen the future, I don't want to see the damned past.

I don't view Enterprise as a Star Trek series, per se, so as a science fiction drama, it works for me.

Now, showing me something older than even Enterprise... I have absolutely no interest in it at all whatsoever. I want to see the future, god damn it. After I've seen the future, I don't want to see the damned past.

Yeah, what ever happened to the days when star trek ripped of anime (such as star trek III ripping off the whole beginning portion of Yamato 2). If they really want to do a low tech series, why not just do what Tomino does, and blow everything to hell, setting it to take place a few years in the future, having to struggle to dig up remnants of the past. That'll give them a few seasons easy!

Honestly, I gave up on star trek near the end of voyager's I think 4th season. I have never looked back since.

•The long-standing Temporal Cold War arc will be resolved in the first two episodes.

This I like, and may time travel be banished after this. I'll allow it for a Kira appearance, but that's it. No more Temporal anything.

Having T'Pol and Tripp get married is a good idea, as they can then delve a little into their relationship's effect on the political gridlocking that's been going on.

Mini-arcs are a good idea too. Lets you do a lot, that way, but not drag things out. I got real tired of seeing the lizard guy.

I read a few weeks ago that the next movie might be about the Romulan Wars, another prequel, but outside of Enterprise. It was on trekfan linked through slashdot.

The Romulan Wars are tipped to be the subject of the next Star Trek feature film.

Enterprise executive producer Brannon Braga reportedly told the Star Trek Communicator that the series may not be able to feature the Romulan Wars because of a possible clash with the upcoming movie.

"It's certainly one of the things that we've been discussing," Braga reportedly said. "But there's also a prequel feature in development regarding the Romulan Wars, so we might have to stay away from that." In the same magazine, franchise head honcho Rick Berman said Trek XI would be set before the time of Kirk, but would not be connected with Enterprise.

The first sighting of the Romulans came in the second-season episode, "Minefield", in which the NX-01 inadvertantly strayed into Romulan territory. According to established Star Trek lore, the Romulan Neutral Zone was established in 2160 after a long war between Earth and the Romulans. With "Zero Hour" taking place in 2154, the Romulan Wars could conceivably take place during Enterprise's run.

Braga also discussed the storylines in development for Enterprise's fourth season, including the return of the Temporal Cold War. "One thing we're discussing is possibly blowing the lid off the Temporal Cold War once and for all," he reportedly said. "That's probably something we'll do in this first storyline. I can't say that for sure, because we're just getting into it. But I'd really like to resolve that and put a cap on it. It would be a nice thing to do after three seasons of teasing it along."

The foundation of the Federation could also start to figure heavily in the series. "There are going to be some major interstellar events and conflicts happening that could involve the forming of the federation. We're going to see more of what's going on back at Earth. We might see something dealing with the Eugenics Wars."

To read the complete interviews with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, pick up the latest issue of the Star Trek Communicator. Thanks to 'guyute03' for providing these excerpts!

There was talk elsewhere about if they did the romulan wars, how would they execute it. Established lore says that no human saw (of lived to tell about it) a romulan's face in the entire engagement. Not inconcievable for a entirely space-based war, but how to make that work for a movie? Unless they choose to stray and deviate from something established in the original series, which could also be no surprise.

Edited by Anubis