Mega Man Anniversary Collection Released!

I unlocked the anime episode... or should I say "anime-ish" episode. It's the first eppy of the US MegaMan cartoon from the early 90's.

Bass, smite me down now!

Anyway, as you can guess, I have the PS2 version. I forgot that I actually liked the series... well, more like 60% liked the series. That's why when I heard the audio of Docs Light and Wily in MM8, I was shocked they didn't use the VA's from the cartoon. "MegaGirl" didn't bug me. ^_^'''

Oh, and yes I confirmed MM8's audio is glitched. The boss voices have different pitches and the sound fx when you 'absorb' the boss weapon after winning is different.

Speaking of X, didn't his voice change in X7? He finally sounds like an angst-ridden teen (VA'ed by Shoutaro?). Maybe it's to show he ain't so 'green' anymore. That description now belongs to Axl. ^_^

Speaking of X, didn't his voice change in X7?

His voice changed in X6. He was girlie in X4. He had no voice in X5 (save the in game SFX?), and he had a slightly manlier voice in X6.

Megaman, the classic one, is supposed to be the equivalent of a 10 year old boy. I'm pretty sure that in Rockman 8 he a girly voice, and then they gave him a girly voice for the American Megaman 8.

For the American version of Megaman X4, they used the same VA for X that they used for Megaman in Megaman 8. In X6, there was no English audio, so you heard the Japanese actor. In X7, you could pick whether you wanted English audio or Japanese audio. If you use Japanese audio, you'll notice that it's the same VA that was in X6, and I think the same VA they used for X in the Japanese Rockman X4.

Officially, Megaman and X are NOT the same robot, and X is supposed to be the equivalent of mid to late teens. Hence, the more manly voice. For whatever reason though, the localization team for X4 just figured that it's another Megaman game, so X must still sound girly.

I just picked it up for the GC, and although I'm glad i got it, I'm kinda dissapointed with it.

First thing was the button placement. It's already been beaten to death on the IGN boards, but I didn't give it much thought. I figured I'll adapt, just like any other game. But they really did screw it up. A new user probably wouldn't be bothered by the difference, but I found myself completly lost, dying all the time. I figured I was rusty after so many years, so I popped the original Mega Man 2 into the NES and beat the thing, no problems. I guess 5 years of mental conditioning playing the original can't be undone in one sitting.

I was looking forward to the remixed music, since half the fun of playing the games was the music. But I guess I can live without them. Besides, I'm focusing too hard on the new buttons to pay any attention to the music :p

All in all, I'd say this is average. It would've been my dream come true if they left the buttons as they were on the NES, but eh, what can you do? It's still all of the MM games on one disk :D

Which is why it basically boils down to the PS2 version being the better version, whether it's a Sony conspiracy, lazy programing, or the Gamecube's media. I'd say it's probably some combination...

Two more questions:

1. Is 8 a port of the Saturn (better) version or the Playstation version?

2. Does the super jump trick still work in 3? I never knew if that was a glitch of actually put in by the creators...

1.It's the Playstation version with the two exclusive Saturn bosses - iirc the Saturn version had different music (better) on some stages, and had a wave effect on the water on first stage. None of these features are on the collection besides the two Saturn bosses.

2.No super jump trick in MM3

Edited by efisher

MM1: No pause trick (makes Yellow Devil a real pain)

MM2: Harder (US MM2 had an easy mode hacked in as 'normal' while 'difficult' was the original mode; it's gone in MMAC)

MM3: No 2nd controller tricks (Super Jump, Zombie MM, Time Freeze, etc)

MM4: Unknown

MM5: Unknown

MM6: Unknown

MM7: None

MM8: None

I'm still working on beating MM8, so 4 thru 6 I won't confirm unless anyone else care to do it instead.

Maybe its just because 8 has better game play, but I'm having a really hard time with 1.....for some reason it's really hard to fight some of these damn robots....I think it's the controls.....wish I could change 'em....stupid fin gamecube!

2. Does the super jump trick still work in 3? I never knew if that was a glitch of actually put in by the creators...

It was actually put in intentionally.

There's no other way, as they had no reason to even poll gamepad 2 otherwise.

It was likely put in for purposes of beta-testing and they just forgot to disable it afterwards.

Two more questions:

1. Is 8 a port of the Saturn (better) version or the Playstation version?

It had ot be built in by the programmers. I don't see how they could accidentally leave superjump, invincability (while dead) & time freezing all triggered into the second controller.

Oddest thing about that glitch though was during the part where Megaman run's through the forrest as light's creation book scroll's on the bottom. If you do the time freeze it will stay at that screen while megaman goes to look up into the sky, and protoman's theme will play on for an extended period. The wierd thing being that they programmed a longer song than the allotted time given to it. It's definately worth breaking out your old nes copy to listen to.

Beat 2 (first time in a decade), then 1 (never played it), now working on 3, which I probably have the most hours on, excepting X4. Then on to 4/5/6. :)

PS--pause trick DOES work on MM1, just a b*tch to get it to work. (or at least with Navi mode menus) Only worth it for yellow devil, and beating all 4 bosses successively in Wily Stage 4. Too hard to do for final boss, and easy enough without it.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Its a solid disc for any megaman fan out there. I bought it for my brother cuz he loves the original megaman games on NES. Also, we've both gotten lazy with regards to getting old NES games to work (spoiled, I know :p ).

I just cleaned out my NES good and it worked like a dream.

Everyone cleans the carts(I HOPE), but few people get into the deck and nail the cart connector with anything.

Said connector is due a pin flexing though. They're getting bent out of position, and some of my games have quit working right.

I can piggy-back a GameGenie to get my pickier carts to work, but it's a nuisance.

wow, I am all over this.... I'm gonna play it straight through from the beginning. I've already beaten a couple of stages (haven't had much time to play), but already I think the remixed tunes kick ass. So let me see if I have this straight... when you beat a stage it unlocks the remix tune for the next stage it's reccomended to go to? I beat Cutman (regular music) and of course went straight to Elecman, and the tune was the remixed version. After that I tried Iceman (who was the one I usually went after next) and it was back to the regular tune, but if I went to Gutman, it was remixed... strange.

I have no idea. I thought it was more along the lines of "whichever stages had remixed music for the Power Fighters" got it. As in, there aren't remixed music for every stage, just some. I could of course be totally wrong. Will probably beat 3 tonight and start 4.

Heh heh--having never played MM1 before, I just started going through, and took out 4 of the bosses with the mega buster. Iceman and Elecman were the only ones I had weapons for.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I have no idea. I thought it was more along the lines of "whichever stages had remixed music for the Power Fighters" got it. As in, there aren't remixed music for every stage, just some. I could of course be totally wrong. Will probably beat 3 tonight and start 4.

Heh heh--having never played MM1 before, I just started going through, and took out 4 of the bosses with the mega buster. Iceman and Elecman were the only ones I had weapons for.

For Megaman 1, 2, and 3, you get the remixed music if they had a remix in one of the arcade games, if you play on Navi mode.

For Megaman 4-6, the entire soundtracks are remixed in Navi mode.

As for the the stuff with the second controller in 3, no, it doesn't work anymore. And yes, the developers included that stuff on purpose. As far as I know, it's common to program in codes for the purpose of whipping through the game in testing. Usually, the codes are programmed out, but sometimes they're left in on purpose.

I finished the whole game. All 10 of them (well, I still have two more teams to finish the Power Fighters with, but that means I already beat it seven times, so cut me some slack). As far as I can tell, 1 is, shall we say, suffering from an altered pause trick? Two suffers because the easy American "Normal" is gone, and 3 suffers from the lack of the second controller tricks. 4-7 are as you remember them (if you remember them), and 8 is the PlayStation version. No cool Saturn effects, no Woodman, no Cutman. 8 also has a few audio glitches, too. If you hear a voice sample in the game, and think to yourself, "I didn't remember *insert name here*'s voice sounding like that," it probably didn't.

The arcade games are a fun little treat if you've never MAMEd them. I still get a kick out of playing the Power Fighters every now and then. But they're definately bonus, not the meat of the collection.

As for the the stuff with the second controller in 3, no, it doesn't work anymore. And yes, the developers included that stuff on purpose. As far as I know, it's common to program in codes for the purpose of whipping through the game in testing. Usually, the codes are programmed out, but sometimes they're left in on purpose.

Sometimes they're left in because it can affect the rest of hte game to dummy them out. This is usually older games, though.

And sometimes they leave them in to reward insane hammering of random buttons.

The arcade games are a fun little treat if you've never MAMEd them. 

What if I KAWAKSed them?

What if I KAWAKSed them?

Didn't KAKWAKS only play one of them? Well, in any case, I suppose KAWAKSing them is pretty much the same as MAMEing them. Different GUI's, same result.

As far as I can tell, 1 is, shall we say, suffering from an altered pause trick? Two suffers because the easy American "Normal" is gone, and 3 suffers from the lack of the second controller tricks.

I don't understand. Do these games suffer because the cheat mode to make the game easier is gone, or because they no longer stay true to the original release?

What if I KAWAKSed them?

Didn't KAKWAKS only play one of them? Well, in any case, I suppose KAWAKSing them is pretty much the same as MAMEing them. Different GUI's, same result.

I thought they'd added CPS1 to KAWAKs.

Ah well...

I don't actually recall what CPS1 emu I used. Just know I used Kawaks for CPS2.

I was kind of being sarcastic anyways.

Just reminding everyone that there ARE other arcade emus out there.

As far as I can tell, 1 is, shall we say, suffering from an altered pause trick?  Two suffers because the easy American "Normal" is gone, and 3 suffers from the lack of the second controller tricks.

I don't understand. Do these games suffer because the cheat mode to make the game easier is gone, or because they no longer stay true to the original release?

Well, kinda both. See, ever since I was a young lad, I've played the Megaman games. And back in the day, for young lad, those games really were HARD. But with those cool little tricks, I and many others managed to beat the games.

Today, it's true that we don't NEED those little tricks. I've finished Megaman 1-3 on both the Genesis collection and the new PS2 collection, sans tricks. But those tricks were a part of our childhood (and they sure made things more convenient). It would have been nice if they'd kept them in, if not in the Navi modes then at least in the normal modes.

Oh, and JB0, sure, there's other arcade emulators than MAME. Just like there's other SNES emulators than ZSnes. Sure, I've tinkered with some of them myself. But in the end, I went with MAME, because it was the one that worked the best for all my arcade roms, just like I went with ZSnes because it worked the best.

Oh, and JB0, sure, there's other arcade emulators than MAME. Just like there's other SNES emulators than ZSnes. Sure, I've tinkered with some of them myself. But in the end, I went with MAME, because it was the one that worked the best for all my arcade roms, just like I went with ZSnes because it worked the best.

Well, I have a sort of love-hate relationship with MAME anyways.

It's the only thing that emus a lot of the stuff I want, but other things have been left broken for ages, even after fixes were found.

And the hypocrisy of the MAME team annoys me.

"It's all about preservation and documentation, not playing games. We won't add a hack for optical encoder steering wheels, even though it would make them work more like the arcade machine does, because that would be UNFAITHFUL EMULATION! Now watch as we slap in 3 diffrent hacks for potentiometer emulation, including our utterly nonsensical "pedals are digital" hack, and a hack to make Defender work like it uses a standard joystick to make it more playable for people that get confused easily!"

Oh and...

"We don't emulate games that are still actually making money. Huh? why are Ms. PacMan and Galaga in there? And why did we just expend the effort to make Blitz 2K work right? Ummm... STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!"

Oh, and JB0, sure, there's other arcade emulators than MAME.  Just like there's other SNES emulators than ZSnes.  Sure, I've tinkered with some of them myself.  But in the end, I went with MAME, because it was the one that worked the best for all my arcade roms, just like I went with ZSnes because it worked the best.

Well, I have a sort of love-hate relationship with MAME anyways.

It's the only thing that emus a lot of the stuff I want, but other things have been left broken for ages, even after fixes were found.

And the hypocrisy of the MAME team annoys me.

"It's all about preservation and documentation, not playing games. We won't add a hack for optical encoder steering wheels, even though it would make them work more like the arcade machine does, because that would be UNFAITHFUL EMULATION! Now watch as we slap in 3 diffrent hacks for potentiometer emulation, including our utterly nonsensical "pedals are digital" hack, and a hack to make Defender work like it uses a standard joystick to make it more playable for people that get confused easily!"

Oh and...

"We don't emulate games that are still actually making money. Huh? why are Ms. PacMan and Galaga in there? And why did we just expend the effort to make Blitz 2K work right? Ummm... STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!"

Ah, see, I never follow what's going on with the developers and new releases and what not. I just used to use Kawaks and another emulator to play the Megaman games, and then I had an older version of MAME to play Robocop. But once I realized that a newer version of MAME would play Robocop, X-Men, the Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the two Megaman games, plus the Macross games... well, you get the idea.

hey guys quick Q how do you get 2nd player to be able to play in the 2 megaman battle games? I've hit like every button but nothing works? Is there some special option or something?

Press Select on P2's controller.

Also, FYI for PS2 owners of MMAC:

[] = Fire (hold for charge)

X = Jump (down + X = slide/dash)

R1 = Weapon Select

And yes, some of the old weapon weaknesses still apply (i.e. use Noise Crush on TurboMan)

:huh: really maybe my 2nd controler is busted then... Cause if I push select on the 2nd controller nothing happens. But the analog light lights up so I dunno...

*raises an eyebrow*

It SOUNDS like you're pressing the mode button, not the select button.

bob joe mac Posted on Jul 6 2004, 09:50 PM

really maybe my 2nd controler is busted then... Cause if I push select on the 2nd controller nothing happens. But the analog light lights up so I dunno... 

Just to make sure, is your 2nd player controller a Dual Shock Analog? For some reason my MMAC won't work with a regular, let's say, PS1 analog controller.