Super Large-Type Launcher

Very nice pic Nanashi! :D

Looks nasty! I like the weapon close up pics. B))

*Contemplates feasibility of real shotgun (12 gauge, with 5 shot clip) based on image*

*Consults gunsmithing books*

Nah! Bad idea. Still a neat design though.

Thank you Nanashi.

Its not really a shot gun. Its a very large, long range grenade launcher.

Shiny. I wouldn't mind having one for a Spartan.

It it me or is this another option to the Gunpod Beam adaptor I got yelled at about in the Newbie thread? Is it really this gun or was that an entirely different weapon (Also used by a VF-17)

It it me or is this another option to the Gunpod Beam adaptor I got yelled at about in the Newbie thread? Is it really this gun or was that an entirely different weapon (Also used by a VF-17)

The VF-17 uses 4 different types of manipulator-held weapons. It is different.

What are those 4 different types of manipulator-held weapons the VF-17 uses??

What are those 4 different types of manipulator-held weapons the VF-17 uses??

stealth multipurpose gunpod, with beam/laser adaptor opition(s) from Macross 7

super large-type launcher (grenades) from Macross Digital Mission VF-X

mega bazooka (charging beam/impact weapon (?) from Macross VF-X 2

spiritia absorption gun pod Macross 7

The VF-17 Nightmare one of the heaviest Variable Fighters. Many weapon options. Its armor strength is so great that its about the equivient to a VF-1 with GBP-1s or the same amount of armored plating that the VA-3 has. That's mean the Nightmare has more armor than the VF-22 and is only outmatched in armor class by the VB-6.

It's a wonder then why it wasn't chosen as a mass-production VF. just sans the stealth ability and it's a really capable fighter (So it seems).

I thought Spirita absorbtion weapons were Varuta make. Does this mean some VF-17s were captured or does the UNSpacy have SBWs?

Nanashi, if you could make a profile on the beam adapter it would be really helpful. There's been some discusison about why beam weapons weren't used on earlier Gunpods...but I'd like to see (in detail) cannon informaiton reguarding this pod.

But thanks for the information.

It's a wonder then why it wasn't chosen as a mass-production VF. just sans the stealth ability and it's a really capable fighter (So it seems).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Nightmare purely passive stealth?

Releasing it without stealth would've meant creating a whole new plane.

I meant, you could maintain the same basic design without going the extra mile to make the whole plane passive-Stealth. (Which to my knowledge would save expenses tremendously).

It's like saying you'd rather have the Mass-Production VF-22 without going the extra lengths to make sure every angle is stealthy. I think theVF-17 would look more or less the same if the designers didn't make sure every angle was acceptable to passive Stealth.

Or was the Y/VF-21/22 supeiror to the 17 in heavy-armor and weapons capabilities (But even then a non-stealth version of the 17 might be cheaper and just as capable as a VF-11, save it has more capabilities...)

Edited by Boxer

I meant, you could maintain the same basic design without going the extra mile to make the whole plane passive-Stealth. (Which to my knowledge would save expenses tremendously).

Mmmm,. I guess you COULD skip the RAM part.

Not likely, if something as early as the VF-0/SV-51 has active stealth-lost technology or not it would have been regained by the time the VF-17 was engineered. The VF-17 probably would have both passive stealth structure and an active stealth system.

Not likely, if something as early as the VF-0/SV-51 has active stealth-lost technology or not it would have been regained by the time the VF-17 was engineered. The VF-17 probably would have both passive stealth structure and an active stealth system.

I keep forgetting that active-stealth's been added to older planes now...

I thought Spirita absorbtion weapons were Varuta make. Does this mean some VF-17s were captured or does the UNSpacy have SBWs?

Nanashi, if you could make a profile on the beam adapter it would be really helpful. There's been some discusison about why beam weapons weren't used on earlier Gunpods...but I'd like to see (in detail) cannon informaiton reguarding this pod.

But thanks for the information.

The U. N. Spacy captured a spiritia absorption gun pod and modified it so that it could be used by the VF-17....

Information will be added.

For what reason? I thought Spirita absorbtion was used BY the protodevlin FOR the Protodevlin. What use does the UN Spacy have for Spirita? (forgive my ignorance, if any, for I have not seen M7 and known very little about the mystisicm of Spirita).

Maybe they wanted to use the Spirita guns against the Protodevlin to drain them of power? I'd think they'd be useless against the already draned Varuta pilots...

Assuming i can get my hands on it.

Or (god forbid) they release it in the US...

Anyway, thanks for the Q&A Nanashi, your patience must be vast ^_^

I would like to see that Beam Pod adapter in the future though.

Again, thanks for the profile!

The U. N. Spacy captured a spiritia absorption gun pod and modified it so that it could be used by the VF-17....

Information will be added.

thought it was the the spirital capture beam on the head on the vartua valk, and it was adapted for gunpod use for a vf-19?

The VF-17 Nightmare one of the heaviest Variable Fighters. Many weapon options. Its armor strength is so great that its about the equivient to a VF-1 with GBP-1s or the same amount of armored plating that the VA-3 has. That's mean the Nightmare has more armor than the VF-22 and is only outmatched in armor class by the VB-6.

Please do not use Macross VF-X2's game-specific armor strength ratings as Macross technical specifications without corroboration. As with other games, Shoji Kawamori has specifically stated that the game-specific capabilities of Macross VF-X2 are not intended to always reflect the "reality" of Macross.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=163482

The VF-17 is not that suited to the atmospheric role due to it's minimal atmospheric control surfaces.

With it's large number of verniers (more than any other VF I think) it is far more suited to and is primarily designed towards operations in space.

Also, although the VF-17 packs an impressive amount of beam weapons (head, forearms (wrists & elbows), & chest) as well as a gunpod and gunpod beam adaptor, it is very light on missile armament, unless the optional FAST Packs are fitted.

Although no official figures have been given, I would guess that the 4 x shoulder-mounted micro-missile launchers probably only have enough internal space to hold no more than 2 to 3 micro missiles each.

Graham

Please do not use Macross VF-X2's game-specific armor strength ratings as Macross technical specifications without corroboration. As with other games, Shoji Kawamori has specifically stated that the game-specific capabilities of Macross VF-X2 are not intended to always reflect the "reality" of Macross.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=163482

If we discount the game stats and instead focus on the Macross 7 anime, the VF-17 does appear to be far more heavily armored than the main VF in service at the time, the VF-11C.

One episode that springs immediately to mind is episode # 6, 'First Contact', where Gamlin's VF-17D takes multiple missile hits yet suffers only relatively minor damage while protecting the escape pods.

When first watching this episode back in 1994, I'd assumed the VF-17 was fitted with a Pin Point Barrier system, although my later research finds no mention of this. However, since Macross Zero, my current assumption is rather that the VF-17 just has particulaly tough armor and a very efficient SW-AG energy converting armor system.

Graham

I've also been pondering why the SV-51 and VF-0 have active stealth technology and later VFs like the VF-4, VF-5000, VF-11, VF-17 etc do not. Here's a list of possible reasons that I've come up with: -

• The technology was lost during the bombardment of Earth during Space War One.
  • Early Active Stealth technology was deemed too expensive to add to mass-produced fighters.
  • Early active stealth technology was not that stable and did not mature until the 2040s.

Personally, I tend to discount the technology being lost. No real reason, just a gut feeling :D

Graham

• Early Active Stealth technology was deemed too expensive to add to mass-produced fighters.
  • Early active stealth technology was not that stable and did not mature until the 2040s.

Personally, I tend to discount the technology being lost. No real reason, just a gut feeling :D

Graham

how about stealth losing it's usefullness due to advancements in radar and

tracking systems

Personally, I tend to discount the technology being lost. No real reason, just a gut feeling  :D

Graham

how about stealth losing it's usefullness due to advancements in radar and

tracking systems

Yup, that's another good reason I didn't think of.

Graham

If we discount the game stats and instead focus on the Macross 7 anime, the VF-17 does appear to be far more heavily armored than the main VF in service at the time, the VF-11C.

That's quite true--if you take away the VF-X2 game-specific ratings (e.g. no uncorroborated comparisons with VA-3M and VB-6) and concentrate on the Macross 7 animation, the creators have given specific information. They do state that the VF-17 does surpass a fully loaded VF-11 and ranks with the Armored Valkyrie in Battroid mode.

The VF-17 is not that suited to the atmospheric role due to it's minimal atmospheric control surfaces.

With it's large number of verniers (more than any other VF I think) it is far more suited to and is primarily designed towards operations in space.

Also, although the VF-17 packs an impressive amount of beam weapons (head, forearms (wrists & elbows), & chest) as well as a gunpod and gunpod beam adaptor, it is very light on missile armament, unless the optional FAST Packs are fitted.

Although no official figures have been given, I would guess that the 4 x shoulder-mounted micro-missile launchers probably only have enough internal space to hold no more than 2 to 3 micro missiles each.

Graham

I believe we see 4 missiles firing from each exit port on screen during the Macross 7 TV series at some point.

The Nightmare I think is heavier than many VFs, I'm not sure if the internal weapons bays can be counted or not-since the VF-11's have been disregaraded.

It probably just an animation error-but in The Galaxy is Calling Me, we see

vf17-missiles.jpg

What looks like more missiles firing from the fighter's shoulder launchers than what seems possible.

Then, of course the VF-17 has the FAST Packs which carry many micro missiles.

I'm guessing that the above screen capture from 'The Galaxy is Calling Me' is simply an animation error as a VF-17 without FAST packs fitted should AFAIK only be able to fire 4 micro-missiles per salvo, not the 14 missiles at once shown in the picture. And the VF-17 shown in the above picture does not appear to have any FAST Packs fitted.

Unless of course that is the leg weapon bays first shown being loaded with reaction weapons in episode # 43 are in fact canon and can possibly be loaded with different weapons pallets, i.e. reaction missiles or micro-missiles.

Graham