New Evangelion Platinum update

eva platinum is the new remastered version of Neon Genesis Evangelion (using the R2 renewal source). The video quality is quite stunning compared to the regular edition. initially it was a DVD only affair, but just now they announced a sturdy box option.

pics aren't up yet but i believe it will be white in colour, similar to the cover art used for disc 1.

Are there English subs or is it Japanese only?

so basically they are re-releasing the eva series again, but in better quality? Man, I guess they want to make money so they decide to milk the possiblities. <_<

so basically they are re-releasing the eva series again, but in better quality? Man, I guess they want to make money so they decide to milk the possiblities. <_<

well its rather old news. The japanese restored the video and released the Renewal project in japan (the limited box was very spiffy). after all the speculation ADV licensed those masters (though they are not necessarily of the same caliber as the originals - questions remain about whether its a progressive scan or not) so now we have the Platinum edition. considering this is the only way r1 fans will be able to get an uncut, restored version i'm not toally against it, though its a bit of a bummer for those of us who already bought the Director's Cut discs. but i'm all argued out so now i just accept that DVD companies will always be on the look out for ways to milk a popular series.

features:

Japanese 5.1 Language

English 5.1 Language

English Subtitles

Clean opening and closing animation

Episode: 01 commentary by director Matt Greenfield

Episode: 02 commentary by Matt Greenfield and Spike Spencer ("Shinji")

I will have the new box.

This year is chock-full of Eva goodness.

Edited by Anubis

I will have the new box.

This year is chock-full of Eva goodness.

Oh yeah definitely!!! After all the eva goodies you've been getting lately, who wouldn't. As for the Platinum Edition, I'm definitely gonna get this one since I don't have the director's cut or anything.

Big update!! Courtesy of Animeondvd.

Here is volume 1's cover.

post-26-1087250822.jpg

Edited by Anubis

And here is the box. They did great on it! Awesome artwork selection. Can't wait to see the other side. I'm looking for a better pic.

The reasons they are calling it Platinum is two fold.

First, this is what I've heard:

The 'Renewal' set in Japan has everything Eva. The movies, the tv series, everything in one nice huge package. I believe the Platinum version is just the tv series.

This is purely conjecture on my part:

They were too short sighted to consider calling it Evangelion Revival, which would have made a heckuva lot more sense to me.

The only reason it's not the full renewal I think, is just because Manga has the movie rights. The R2 Renewal box came with the movies as well didn't it?

Maybe one or two of the extras didn't make it over either. Gainax can be difficult about that at times. However my main concern though is the remastered show itself, which I am very happy to see we're getting.

New eva box, continuing manga, and a slew of Eva merchandise makes this a very good eva year indeed. I was going to custom a Paul Champagne Eva box, but with artwork like that on the Platinum box, I don't have to. :)

..... but with artwork like that on the Platinum box, I don't have to.  :)

How will it look like?? Do you have a pic??

dood, look at the first page. :p:D:lol:

..... but with artwork like that on the Platinum box, I don't have to.  :)

How will it look like?? Do you have a pic??

dood, look at the first page. :p:D:lol:

Ooopsy!!! Man, am I bad!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

• 1 month later...

Found the right side of the box. Not surprising Asuka graces the side we were missing.

Really great artwork on this box. Better than what I was thinking about asking Paul Champagne for. I can't wait for these guys to start shipping.

Left

evaplatinumbox.jpg

Right

post-26-1087250892.jpg

post-26-1090335603.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I'd imagine they're not calling it "The Renewal" or even "The Revival" because they don't want casual fans to accidently mistake it for a sequel. I doubt it has anything to do with the movies. In the US, we're pretty accustomed to the "Collector's Editions" and "Platinum Editions", etc as remastered versions of what we've already bought.

That has to be one of the best looking boxes I have seen in awhile. But I will admit I have a bias for Sadamoto artwork. hehe

Rob :ph34r:

Sadamoto is the shiznit.

The box is nice, and I usually don't care for boxes(too much of a scam at times). The points mute however, as I'm not buying this set in the least. I already spent over 200 bucks collecting Eva(including the 90 I was ripped off of). I might buy ADVs new release on Nadesico, since they removed the overlays, though the masters are probably the same.

As much as I love Eva, I'm not gonna go for it. If ADV had announced this back in January "instead' of announcing the release of the DC episode disc's, that would have been one thing. But announcing the set a good month or so "after" the release of the DC disc's is just plain wrong.

I'll stick with my un-remastered Eva in black box thank you very much. ADV is getting way too into this whole remaster/rerelease thing. I'm glad I never bought Nadessico, otherwise I'd be really pissed.

ADV's rereleasing Nadesico?

Yup, starting this september they're re-releasing Nadessico in 3 mini thinpack box sets. All will be remastered (and the best part) without the english text overlays on everything.

Yup, starting this september they're re-releasing Nadessico in 3 mini thinpack box sets. All will be remastered (and the best part) without the english text overlays on everything.

Anything else special about it? I mean really, I got the hole frickin' thing for all of $30(Great Deal! :D ) and I'm happy with it. Why should I be interested in a new release?